• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 rumors/speculation/facts?

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Ok. I've been seeing a dotting of info around the board on a Metal Gear Solid 4 and MGS3: Substance/subsistence. Now, I remember Kojima, after making MGS3, saying he was going to hand future projects over to his chittlin's at Konami. What is the deal with this? Is an MGS4 even in the works... and if it is, is Kojima working on it?

Any details on this type of stuff would be helpful. I figure one thread about it is better than jumping around to every thread I see with the letters "MGS" paired together.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
this thing called e3 occured 2 weeks ago. they usually release game trailers during that week

Facts:

Kojima is directing/producing the game
Murata will be directing it along with Kojima
Shinkawa is back doing the character designs
Takes place after MGS2
Characters: Solid Snake (main character), Raiden, Ocelot, Meryl, Vamp, Big Boss, Otacon and Naomi.
While the tagline is "No place to hide", the game is still about stealth. But there will be times that you can't hide. As the trailer suggested, wallS might be blown up among other things that'll force you to do other things.
It won''t be so clear about who's good and bad in this one. The way he explains it in the interview where he mentions this almost makes it sound as if you'll be able to choose certain sides in this one.
It'll be online
It'll have a traditional 3rd person view

Rumors
It takes place in a modern city.

SolidSnakex said:
Facts:

Takes place after MGS2
Characters: Solid Snake (main character), Raiden, Ocelot, Meryl, Vamp, Big Boss, Otacon and Naomi.
While the tagline is "No place to hide", the game is still about stealth. But there will be times that you can't hide. As the trailer suggested, wallS might be blown up among other things that'll force you to do other things.
It won''t be so clear about who's good and bad in this one. The way he explains it in the interview where he mentions this almost makes it sound as if you'll be able to choose certain sides in this one.
It'll be online

Rumors

Nice stuff, I think it will take place in a desert though. Maybe both desert and city environments.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
he sure does think highly of himself...

I sense an Austin Powers theme coming on here!!! :lol :lol

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Bah, I would have preferred it if they had the game take place
in the invasion of Normandy in 1944, and have it star The Boss, the first non-male lead in an MGS game and what better figure than The Boss? Plus, I don't think any of the MGS games have taken place during an actual historical event or a war before.

.....mmmm, must play more MGS3......

Facts:

Takes place after MGS2
It'll be online

Rumors

WTF? I thought
Big Boss was killed in Metal Gear 2 or something?

capslock said:
Bah, I would have preferred it if they had the game take place
in the invasion of Normandy in 1944, and have it star The Boss, the first non-male lead in an MGS game and what better figure than The Boss? Plus, I don't think any of the MGS games have taken place during an actual historical event or a war before.

That's exactly what I wanted. The Boss is one of the greatest characters ever, and to only have her around for 1 game would suck. Ofcourse they could still have it take place during a war which would still make me happy. The city is looking like the most likely scenario at the moment though.

capslock said:
WTF? I thought

As far as we know he was, but take a look at the guy in the eyepatch

926596_20050517_screen001.jpg

His remains were with the US government. So considering they were cloning since the 70's, there's no telling what he is now.

Simo

capslock said:
WTF? I thought

He was.
The US Government (and as such The Patriots) have his body stored in cryo so they could get fresh DNA samples for the Genome Army in MGS. Nobody knows if he'll be revived but the artwork of him in the MGS4 poster suggests he'll be the center of attention again like recent MG titles. Alive or dead.

Yoji Shinkawa did a similiar piece of artwork of Big Boss' corpse for MGS:

Mooreberg

Yeah, it looks like they revived his corpse or something. It would make sense for him to be a central figure in the game, since MGS3 was all about explaining his background.

And is one of them holding a baby? :lol Didn't notice that before.

ram said:
olga was hot - damn i am just sad with the end of mgs2.

:lol I remember when people were grossed out by her when she lifts up her arms during the intro fight scene between her and Snake and has a full patch of pithair.

Datrio

I could argue here. From left to right:

Vamp, Meryl, Raiden (holding a baby), Ocelot, Solid Snake (with a beard), Otacon OR Liquid Snake, Big Boss (on a diet) and... The last person is a bit mysterious. My first guess is that it's Naomi, but people were mentioning mentioned - The Boss, Rose, Fortune, Olga.

I also read somewhere that Kojima confirmed in Famitsu that the last character is Naomi, but that's probably fake info, as we haven't heard anything about any interview with him in Famitsu so far.

Simo

Wario64 said:
yeah, that's raiden. holding olga's baby

Or
Raiden's, which I'm guessing it is
. That baby is too young to be Olga's kid.

Datrio said:
could argue here. From left to right:

Vamp, Meryl, Raiden (holding a baby), Ocelot, Solid Snake (with a beard), Otacon OR Liquid Snake, Big Boss (on a diet) and... The last person is a bit mysterious. My first guess is that it's Naomi, but people were mentioning mentioned - The Boss, Rose, Fortune, Olga.

It's Otacon. Technically, Liquid Snake is already in the artwork since he and Ocelot are now one and the same person. The woman on the end though...I can't see it being Fortune or Olga unless the unlikely chance they'll crop up as ghosts like
The Sorrow in MGS3
and it'd explain the hood but it'd make more sense for it to be Naomi since she still has alot to contribute to the story and resolve the issue of FOXDIE in Snake's system...

gogogow

Datrio said:
I could argue here. From left to right:
Otacon OR Liquid Snake
notice the glasses.
Big Boss, he's in his 60s or 70s in that pic. How could he be cloned so fast?
(The story of) MGS4 is gonna be interesting, very interesting.

Datrio

Yeah, Otacon - bad me. I didn't notice that his left arm is adjusting the glasses, and my first guess was: "He doesn't have the arm that Ocelot too.. borrowed from him!". But Ocelot lost his right arm - so I lose.

Datrio said:
Raiden (holding a baby), Solid Snake (with a beard)

Since this whole thread is a redux anyway...

Raiden (wearing Cyborg Ninja suit)
Solid Snake (drawing split down the middle as Solid Snake / Solidus)

EekTheKat

Ever notice in the teaser that

Raiden climbs back up at the end, and it's implied he gets to sit in the "MAIN CHARACTER" seat briefly with that little "ding" noise at the very very end?

aku:jiki

I don't get it. Where are you guys getting the facts about who's who on the poster? I don't think it looks anything like Raiden or Naomi at all (is she holding a gun?) and it just barely looks like Vamp.

BigBoss

aku:jiki said:
I don't get it. Where are you guys getting the facts about who's who on the poster? I don't think it looks anything like Raiden or Naomi at all (is she holding a gun?) and it just barely looks like Vamp.

Kojima confirmed the identity of the characters in Famitsu.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
"No place to hide"...

Anyone remember the concept behind Escape from New York? The main character, Snake, was injected with a lethal toxin and fitted with a tracking device so that his superiors could force him to complete their objectives.

Expect a similar scenario in MGS4. And yes, an urban environement would be key.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
As long as it goes one up and betters MGS3 which I think might be impossible.. but then I thought MGS could never be equaled again and I was shoved down in the pits by Kojima with MGS3.

Ceb

it just barely looks like Vamp.

Looks a lot like him.
Has a matching bullet hole through his skull.
Vamp appeared in the ending to MGS2.

...yeah, I can see why you'd doubt that it's him.

The "duality" of the character art is interesting. Nothing hidden in the drawing of Meryl though, is it?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Man it's gonna be so cool having to deal with Big Boss again in MGS4 after all we got to know about him in MGS3.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Damn. This sounds awesome. Sorry I bothered everyone with a new post for it... I was in the process of moving over the last 2 weeks and finding a job and haven't had the chance to catch up with all that went on over E3. So once I saw "MGS4" I immediately became intrigued as to whether I missed something.

Clearly, I did. Thank you all for the help. :)

Belfast

Goreomedy said:
"No place to hide"...

Anyone remember the concept behind Escape from New York? The main character, Snake, was injected with a lethal toxin and fitted with a tracking device so that his superiors could force him to complete their objectives.

Expect a similar scenario in MGS4. And yes, an urban environement would be key.

This is sort of what I was thinking. It seems to me that you'll still have to use stealth tactics to evade enemies, but instead of being the clueless gimps they are, patrolling a set path, they are, for once, *aware* of your presence throughout the entire game, so they're on an active lookout for you and any clue that could lead to where you are. I suspect that you won't simply be able to hide in a shadow for five minutes until an alert clears.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Anyone has an idea about who's that baby Raiden has in his arms? I mean, is it Olga's or Rose's? I think it's Rose's.

Just look at the baby. It's less than 1 year old for sure isn't it? Olga was pregnant at the time of the tanker chapter, so, even assuming she got pregnant on that very tanker on that very day :)lol), this would make her child 2 years old already at the beginnig of the Big Shell section (which actually occurs 2 years after the "tanker incident").

On the other side, Rose admits she's pregnant at the very end of MGS2 so, going by that kid+raiden picture, we can assume the game takes place about 1 year and a half after MGS2 ending (9 months of Rose's pregnancy + apparent child's age).

But while this makes sense "childs-wise", MGS4 Snake looks like 5-10 years older than MGS2 Snake. That, or the beard is tricking me (Shin's artworks usually do make characters look a tad older than they actually are).

Your thoughts?

Here's their official artwork so you can compare

Naomi (she's atleast 5 years older now)

naomi8wm.jpg

Raiden

raiden2xy.jpg

They look pretty much on point to me.

TTP said:
On the other side, Rose admits she's pregnant at the very end of MGS2 so, going by that kid+raiden picture, we can assume the game takes place about 1 year and a half after MGS2 ending (9 months of Rose's pregnancy + apparent child's age).

Yah this makes sense. I originally thought it was Olga's since her tanker pregnancy slipped my mind. Hopefully the art is just to show that they had a kid. I still wonder who the father of Olga's baby was since she never told Sergei who the father was.

TTP said:
But while this makes sense "childs-wise", MGS4 Snake looks like 5-10 years older than MGS2 Snake. That, or the beard is tricking me (Shin's artworks usually do make characters look a tad older than they actually are).

It's not the beard, he just looks alot older now.

solidsnake4aj.jpg

That's him in MGS2.

Ceb

Belfast said:
This is sort of what I was thinking. It seems to me that you'll still have to use stealth tactics to evade enemies, but instead of being the clueless gimps they are, patrolling a set path, they are, for once, *aware* of your presence throughout the entire game, so they're on an active lookout for you and any clue that could lead to where you are. I suspect that you won't simply be able to hide in a shadow for five minutes until an alert clears.

My guess is that it's gonna take place in a war-torn city + surroundings. You'd have changing environments due to bombardings and warfare, and there would be multiple factions pursuing their own goals out there. Snake gets caught in the middle, can't kill the "good guys" but has to evade them as well.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
Yah this makes sense. I originally thought it was Olga's since her tanker pregnancy slipped my mind. Hopefully the art is just to show that they had a kid. I still wonder who the father of Olga's baby was since she never told Sergei who the father was.

What if she doesn't know either? I dont recall all the details, but is there a possibility she actually gave birth to a new, "russian", Snake? A new Big Boss clone...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
TTP said:

Your thoughts?

Well don't forget that Solid Snake ages faster than the average human, they touched on this a bit during the Tanker chapter in MGS2. Liquid made a comment about Snake slowing down over time, and how Big Boss' actual age during the cloning process has made them all age faster than normal. I mean look at Solidus...and wasn't he technically the youngest of the group? Big Boss passed down some bad genes. :lol

Dujour

Banned
evr since he's been exposed ot foxdie, he's been dying quicker. Naomis probably in it to answer questions that he has about foxDIE.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
It's not the beard, he just looks alot older now.

Yeah, indeed.

BTW, has anyone tried to figure out what those numbers and symbols mean? Probably mean nothing but who knows. I suck at math riddles so I'm not even trying :D

gogogow

Grizzlyjin said:
Well don't forget that Solid Snake ages faster than the average human, they touched on this a bit during the Tanker chapter in MGS2. Liquid made a comment about Snake slowing down over time, and how Big Boss' actual age during the cloning process has made them all age faster than normal. I mean look at Solidus...and wasn't he technically the youngest of the group? Big Boss passed down some bad genes. :lol
I think it was also in MGS:TTS that Campbell said "Snake, you haven't aged well".

But I really haven't heard/read anything about Solidus being the youngest (technically).
He was the former president of the US. Shouldn't one be at an certain age to be elected president? (I know he wasn't really elected>patriots, but still)

Dujour

Banned
soldius is the youngest, he just doesn't look it. Cambpell isn't th one that says it, GRAY FOX says it and it's when he
s holding Metal Gear Rex's leg up. " Snake., you haven't aged well." I think his judgement was impaired, you know,becayse he was dead and all for a while. Anyway, Liquid says hell just be another dead clone in a few years his cells being vintage and all. And they could've lied about Solidus' age. When they should GEORGE SEARS as president, he wasn't as bulky looking as solidus, that's why he needed that exxo skeleton to fight. Man I'm buzzed an I even know this stuff.

gogogow

Oh yeah yeah, it was Grayfox who said it, shame on me. (Need to play TTS again)
But where was solidus' age mentioned? And who's they?

TTP said:
What if she doesn't know either? I dont recall all the details, but is there a possibility she actually gave birth to a new, "russian", Snake? A new Big Boss clone...

I'd be all for that. :) Olga, while she was no "Boss", was still a pretty cool character especially in the Big Shell chapter. I think Solid will likely continue till he dies, he doesn't want too but that's what he was basically made to do and he doesn't seem to be able to fight it. I think we'll see Ocelot outlive him though. The guy seems to be the smartest character in the series, which isn't surprising since he's Boss' kid, and she seemed to be smarter than everyone else around her too.

Bringing Big Boss back should be really cool too. I'd like to see him tell Solid the real reason he turned against the US. I think Solid is started getting the hints that he's basically been used as a tool for awhile too. Most peoples views have changed on Big Boss just being evil after MGS3.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
SolidSnakex said:
I'd be all for that. :) Olga, while she was no "Boss", was still a pretty cool character especially in the Big Shell chapter. I think Solid will likely continue till he dies, he doesn't want too but that's what he was basically made to do and he doesn't seem to be able to fight it. I think we'll see Ocelot outlive him though. The guy seems to be the smartest character in the series, which is surprising since he's Boss' kid, and she seemed to be smarter than everyone else around her too.

Bringing Big Boss back should be really cool too. I'd like to see him tell Solid the real reason he turned against the US. I think Solid is started getting the hints that he's basically been used as a tool for awhile too. Most peoples views have changed on Big Boss just being evil after MGS3.

What what what? When was this revealed?

Man, I feel like such an MGS newb!

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
SolidSnakex said:
I think Solid will likely continue till he dies, he doesn't want too but that's what he was basically made to do and he doesn't seem to be able to fight it.

I'm thinking that Snake will follow a path similar to BB, only with a less shallow story than ultimate solider appreciation land

capslock said:
What what what? When was this revealed?

Man, I feel like such an MGS newb!

It was revealed in a codec conversation you can have with Eva

Jack: EVA, I wanted to ask you about Ocelot…
EVA: Yeah, I know. He’s pretty infatuated with you, isn’t he?
Jack: That’s not what I meant. Aren’t the Ocelots an elite unit?
EVA: Yeah.
Jack: So how’d he get to be their commander? He can’t be any older than 18 or 19. I can’t believe he’s already a major…
EVA: I heard from the Colonel that he’s been given…special treatment.
Jack: Special treatment?
EVA: Yeah. He’s the son of some legendary hero or something.
Jack: No wonder he seems to have the right stuff… So who is this legendary hero, anyway?
EVA: Beats me.
Jack: …
EVA: The Colonel never told me. All I heard was that his mother was supposedly shot in the gut during battle and that he was born right there, with bullets whizzing past them.
Jack: A pregnant woman in the middle of a battle?
EVA: That’s what I heard. They say that when they stitched her up, the scar was shaped like a snake.
Jack: Well, that’s battlefield medicine for you. What about his father, this legendary hero?
EVA: He didn’t tell me. I don’t think Ocelot’s ever met his parents.
Jack: Are they dead?
EVA: Maybe, I don’t know. There were a lot of MIAs back then, during the last days of the war. Ocelot probably would have ended up the same way. But he was taken in and raised by GRU and Volgin.
Jack: Because he was special?
EVA: That’s my guess.

Top Bottom