• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Mann's Heat turns 20 years today

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

Told you I'm never going back...

20 years and still amazing to watch, from the awesome cast to the amazing music. Heat is probably one of my most watched movies, the shootout still manages to make the hair on my arms stand up, I always crank up the volume during that. Mann is without doubt king when it comes to shootout on screen; Collateral, Miami Vice, Public Enemies, even Blackhat had great shootouts. But to me Heat is still the best.

dat fucking sound

I would watch a two hour movie of Mann directed shootouts. :D

Heat also made me a fan of Moby

Whenever I hear that song I see Pacino holding De Niros hand in the end.

The Robbery / Shootout

gunheat25uzj.gif

Must be a nostalgia thing (or just not my thing) because I watched this film 2 years ago and didnt really enjoy it. The Robbery scene was great and some awesome cinematography, but the rest was meh to me.

FStop7

Banned
I remember leaving the LA Convention Center one day, turning a corner, and suddenly I got this _massive_ wave of deja vu. And then I realized it was because I had walked straight into the location where the armored car robbery at the beginning of Heat took place. The used car dealership was even still there. It was the craziest thing to experience, this huge wave of familiarity in a place I'd never been, all because of that movie.

maxcriden

Must be a nostalgia thing (or just not my thing) because I watched this film 2 years ago and didnt really enjoy it. The Robbery scene was great and some awesome cinematography, but the rest was meh to me.

I agree. I tried rewatching the film and everyone mumbling their lines and Pacino's sleepwalk-y performance really bored me. It was never one of my faves but I didn't think it held up well.

Ruruja

Shootout scene is legendary, I think the part about it I like the most is the gunfire echoing off the buildings.

Get'sMad

classic

Pacino is so hilarious in this too

I'm angry. I'm very angry, Ralph. You know, you can ball my wife if she wants you to. You can lounge around here on her sofa, in her ex-husband's dead-tech, post-modernistic bullshit house if you want to. But you do not get to watch my fucking television set!.

nin1000

Banned
Best ending scene of all time, seriously the end always gives me chills. The way that Moby track just comes in is just flawless.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Watched it for the first time a couple of months ago. Amazing movie. That shootout scene is yet to be topped.

I agree. I tried rewatching the film and everyone mumbling their lines and Pacino's sleepwalk-y performance really bored me. It was never one of my faves but I didn't think it held up well.

tumblr_m29wdmeRv11qbzahao1_1280.gif

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I just watched this for the first time about six months ago. I was amazed. And I kept thinking "so this is where GTAV came from..."

love the movie but the side plots keeps it from being perfect.

I personally find that Mann held back too much on Trejo. He could have had more lines IMO

RBH

I watched it for the very first time a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it.

The music, the cinematography, the dynamic between Pacino and De Niro. All brilliant.

Cider X

One of the best movies of all time. Just got my hands on the Japanese Blu-Ray the other day. It has superior audio and slightly better picture than the us/uk release. Dat shootout...

Jobbs

Banned
I remember seeing this when I was a kid and quickly having a crush on Natalie Portman (I was a little younger than her). That's when I first realized who she was.

commedieu

Banned
The bank shootout was scored by the sounds of the guns and chaos. I love that. I dont believe there was any music after the first shots through to when whats his name is holding the girl hostage. . Best ending, in the world. I remember seeing it newly, You really didn't know how it was going to end up, but you sorta did. Lesson learned, keep driving to the airport bruvs.

God damn heat is epic. Had a screening night with the gf, we did Heat, and chased it with Ronin.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I need to watch this again. Great movie. I even liked the part when the ex-con couldn't get a decent job so felt like he had no choice but to go back to crime. I really liked everything about that movie. So many believable sideplots as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom