• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Mann's Heat turns 20 years today

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I need to watch this again. Great movie. I even liked the part when the ex-con couldn't get a decent job so felt like he had no choice but to go back to crime. I really liked everything about that movie. So many believable sideplots as well.

So heartbreaking.

"What you hangin' with me for, Lily?"

Dennis Haysbert is amazing.

One of my favorite movies of all time.

Pretty sure Sizemore's also a pretty hardcore sex addict and abuser. That and the alcohol/drug problems make him practically unhireable for insurance reasons.

Heat's one of my favorites if you couldn't tell by my username.

strafer

Love it.

Q9Oj3c8.jpg

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't he checking to see what's in the chamber?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113277/trivia?item=tr0613340

Lt. Hanna is shown "checking chamber" on his handgun in at least one scene. This is a trademark of the character Nick Stone in a series of novels by Andy McNab, who was technical weapons training adviser on Heat (1995). Although not an uncommon thing to do with a handgun, it is rarely given such visual prominence in films. Also, the crew's tactics in the bank robbery shootout are notably similar to the "response to enemy fire" tactics featured in the book and film of McNab's Bravo Two Zero (1999).

I agree. I tried rewatching the film and everyone mumbling their lines and Pacino's sleepwalk-y performance really bored me. It was never one of my faves but I didn't think it held up well.

Damn, I never thought I'd see anyone say Heat doesn't hold up well.

Shy

Saw it in the cinema when it first came out. Fucking God-tier.

Also, Be sure to check out the Michael Mann commentary, it's really good. (as all of his commentaries are)

I watched this whole movie waiting for The Heat Is On to come on as part of the soundtrack and it never did. For some reason I just assumed it was one of those blockbuster songs.

Daffy Duck

My all time favourite film, fantastic film, fantastic cast and just sublime in every way!

You know you've done it right when GTA pays tribute.

My mum taped over it years ago and I was wrecked, she ended up buying it for me on DVD because she knew dun goofed.

firelogic

Greatest shootout in the history of film. It's objectively fantastic. The pace. The intensity. The realism. The sound effects. The lack of background music just as the first shot is fired. Brilliant.

The sound of that shoot out is amazing.

whatever happened to Tom Sizemore anyway?

I just looked his wikipedia-page up:

True Romance (1993), Natural Born Killers (1994), Strange Days (1995), Heat (1995), Saving Private Ryan (1998), Black Hawk Down (2001), Pearl Harbor (2001)

The guy was on a roll in the late 90s/early 00s..

Definitely one of my GOATs. Dat duality at play, I honestly would put the airport chase over the bank shootout, both were great scenes though

You can't fuck with mann's sound design. I have yet to hear gunfights as loud and violent as his.

Probably just second to Insider for me as mann's best movie ever

He got bad into drugs.. I think he was on that show with Dr.Drew, the rehab one? Ran off on camera.. to sneak back home or something. Damn, a google says he got busted with heroin in 2014. Man..
http://www.vh1.com/shows/celebrity_...b-tries-to-pick-up-tom-sizemore/471219/video/
http://www.*****************/tvshow...ng-clean-Celebrity-Rehab-three-years-ago.html

Future RIP if he doesn't break it.

Fucking Tom Sizemore man. He was working with some of the best directors in the industry, doing great work, and he threw it all away.

Truly and amazing film. That firefight, the cinematography. And the way he captures that polished, but still gritty atmosphere of LA.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i'd say its DeNiro's second best after Godfather part 2 and Pacino's second best after Dog Day Afternoon

only thing i didn't like about Heat was that Pacino and DeNiro weren't really in the same scenes very much and it looked like they probably shot 90% of the scenes they were interacting with each other at different times.

This may be my favorite movie. I only watched it for the first time a couple of months ago, but the ending hit me like no other movie has yet. The way the music swells up and it cuts to the credits, it's perfect.

Browny

Banned
Great film. I picked it up on DVD a few years back, but only watched it at the beginning of this year. (And several times since.)

The robbery is one of the all time great scenes.

blue.jpg

"What I came to later was to the perfect equivalence of the connection. It occurred to me that Neil was fortunate enough to die in contact with the only other guy on the planet who was really similar, almost like him, and understood him totally. That became the end of a dialectic which I then reverse-engineered into a lot of previous scenes which preceded it. I could build off that final moment."

My top 3 films ever!!!

Just love it! The restaurant scene, the infrared scene, the shootout, the ending....

We'll never get a movie like this again. Mann in his prime!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom