• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Mann's Heat turns 20 years today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeless

Here's how it should've ended:
Robert De Niro's character gets away with it. Just cut the movie 10-20 minutes before the end.

ElyrionX

Still my favourite movie of all time. So many great things in this film though finding out that the dinner scene between De Niro and Pacino was filmed separately for each actor kind of takes away from it.

ElyrionX

Plenty of good scenes in the movie but one particularly good one that does not get brought up much is when Pacino arrives at the armoured truck robbery scene. The way he establishes his character's presence is just great. Great lines and great delivery.

venom2124

fzrudd52msvs.gif
Waingro's my boy.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
this movie is nothing short of majestic. A modern masterpiece in American cinema. Mann hasn't been the same ever since (I should probably mention The Insider as his last hurrah)

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
"I'm talking to an empty telephone, because there is a dead man on the other end of this fucking line"

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Love the duality at play in Heat and Collateral. Shootouts are fantastic and all but the character elements are what makes these truly great movies.

Took only 17 posts to get a Waynegro mention, not bad Gaf. Waynegro is such a great bad guy, easy to love to hate haha.

Such a satisfying offing, soooo good.gif

I still often use Pacino's "who who/owl" and Voigt's "free country, brother" lines. Great movie.

Anung

Un Rama
Not only is it a power house of performances, tension and action. But damn the cinematography is amazing stuff.

I'll need to dig out the blu ray.

Kvik

There is one scene in Wes Anderson's Rushmore (incidentally, also one of my favourite movies) where Max, in his stage play, re-enacting the first scene where Val Kilmer was buying a crate of dynamite. I thought it was quite cool at the time.

Also I just realised I don't own a copy of the film on Blu-ray, only on DVD. Is the transfer any good?

wow he really did lift the bank robbery from Heat for LA Takedown. Very similar.

Also the Detective is Pancho from Predator!

Heat's a shot for shot remake at points. LA Takedown is one of the more blatant test runs you'll ever see in movies.

Still my favourite movie of all time. So many great things in this film though finding out that the dinner scene between De Niro and Pacino was filmed separately for each actor kind of takes away from it.

This is totally wrong and a rumor that caught on only due to how Mann shot the scene, and possibly because it's pretty much confirmed that Pacino and De Niro weren't very friendly with each other on set. There's even a interview that came out recently with Henry Rollins where he said Mann straight up told him that they didn't need any more drama on the set before he was hired.

There's a wideshot picture with both of them in the frame from that scene, and Mann had a 3rd camera angle of that scene with both of them in it that he didn't use.

L.A. Takedown was the better movie in every respect!

edit: to avoid breakdowns I forgot to add: IMO

If there was ever a confirmation that opinions can be wrong.

Here's hoping that the SE blu-ray of HEAT coming next year is a new remaster.

Mann slowly going deaf is definitely fucking with his sound design...
is he really? Cause, well, I believe it. Blackhat had some supremely strange audio mixing/obviously ADR-ed dialog. BTW Blackhat really should have gotten more attention, its a flawed gem of a film, but the good parts in it are really good, and the not-great parts aren't really so bad. How the hell did a Micheal Mann film fly so far under the radar is beyond me.

Also, how bad did Heat get ripped off at the 95' Oscars. Not a single frigging nomination even. Not even for sound, which, lets face it, it does better then dang near any other film you can mention offhand. I will make the controversial claim that Batman Forever was less deserving of its nomination in that category then was Heat.

Also, how bad did Heat get ripped off at the 95' Oscars. Not a single frigging nomination even. Not even for sound, which, lets face it, it does better then dang near any other film you can mention offhand. I will make the controversial claim that Batman Forever was less deserving of its nomination in that category then was Heat.

The Insider not winning anything was an even bigger snub.

The movie has a bunch of great scenes but htis one takes the cake (it starts a little earlier though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2RNPa1fDyE

The rhythm , the editing , the beautiful transition to Vincent's car, the lights reflecting, the faces of the protagonists. The first confrontation finally arrives.

No one else can make LA at night look so beautiful.

The scene also sets up how Neil's crew is under very tight surveillance which makes them even more formidable when Hannah comes to find a little later they all dumped their surveillance.

GeoramA

Amazing movie. So friggin tense the first time you watch it.

The shootout and Pacino's batshit moments will never get old.

The Chef

Time for a rewatch. Thanks OP!

This shot where Val is just wrecking shop, stops reloads, continues to wreck shop is so rad.
n0zDj3t.gif

is he really? Cause, well, I believe it. Blackhat had some supremely strange audio mixing/obviously ADR-ed dialog. BTW Blackhat really should have gotten more attention, its a flawed gem of a film, but the good parts in it are really good, and the not-great parts aren't really so bad. How the hell did a Micheal Mann film fly so far under the radar is beyond me.

Public Enemies also had some weird audio stuff going on as well.

And yeah, I really liked Blackhat, it's not the best movie ever, and has some definite issues (the love story is straight garbage and some of the secondary characters needed more time) but it's still a solid Mann film if you like his movies.

Just came in here to say that despite popular opinion Miami Vice is a great movie.

Miami Vice is awesome, and it's gotten somewhat more love over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom