• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s Xbox backward compatibility program returns with 76 new games

Ozriel

M$FT
Shooting mechanics are better in 2. More responsive. 3 is clunky with super realistic "Rockstar style" animations. The addition of cover mechanic also hurt the game.

And yes, story is better in 2. Story, writing, atmosphere, gunplay. 2 is the perfect 3rd person action shooting game. A true masterpiece.

I never played Max Payne 2 or 3. This is gonna be great.
I must say I’m surprised to hear the shooting is better in 2 than 3. I’ll give it a shot.

SenkiDala

Very happy for Timesplitters 2 and 3, Otogi 1 and 2, the DOA games, and Ridge 6 (my favorite with type 4).

Very sad because those are the last backcompat games. :( So we won't ever have PGR4 on XSX.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

Max Payne Trilogy, TimeSplitters 2, New Vegas, NIER, and FEAR, wow!
Incredible list, Condemned 2 next, please. You know Max Payne 3 will be boosted in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Kazza

Mixed feelings about this. It's a great list of games (Otogi 1&2, Gunvalkyrie were nice surprises), but all hope of JSR Future and Outrun 2 has now ended :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

ManaByte

Max Payne Trilogy, TimeSplitters 2, New Vegas, NIER, and FEAR, wow!
Incredible list, Condemned 2 next, please. You know Max Payne 3 will be boosted in the future.
This is the final drop.

While we continue to stay focused on preserving and enhancing the art form of games, we have reached the limit of our ability to bring new games to the catalog from the past due to licensing, legal and technical constraints.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
My CRT is ready

msedge-1-Qj-Uxi-CNP1.png

The Shepard

This is the end, as In there never adding any more?

Just brought binary domain off eBay for £6 brand new and sealed for the xbox, loved that game on ps3.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Damn I still don't understand how Microsoft exclusives have licensing issues though.

Wheres Mech Assault, Blood Wake, Brute Force etc.?

I know Mechassault 2 has licensed music but it's two songs, surely they could pay that off.
And I don't think there are anything to license at all in Blood wake or Brute Force. So I don't know why those keep getting skipped.

Genx3

The original licensing applied to the original hardware. Its not running on that now.
I don't think that's how this works.

How did Sony get around this with original PS3 BC of all PS2 games then?
Same as PS2 playing all PS1 games.

Sounds like a bs excuse. Sure they can't sell new copies due to licensing but existing copies can play on any HW even through emulation and it wouldn't be illegal or copyright infringement.

Aldynes

Maybe someone here on GAF can help me, my Series X still recognize Xbox one games or Xbox series games discs, but don't recognize or even display a message for my Xbox originals discs or Xbox 360, the console used to recognize them when I bought it last year, then one day I had to eject and put the discs a few times before she would run them, and now don't even reads them.

I've tried 20-ish different games, no success, each of them are in perfect condition and works perfectly on my older Xbox 360 slim and original Xbox.

Anyone have that problem or read something similar?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Maybe someone here on GAF can help me, my Series X still recognize Xbox one games or Xbox series games discs, but don't recognize or even display a message for my Xbox originals discs or Xbox 360, the console used to recognize them when I bought it last year, then one day I had to eject and put the discs a few times before she would run them, and now don't even reads them.

I've tried 20-ish different games, no success, each of them are in perfect condition and works perfectly on my older Xbox 360 slim and original Xbox.

You are connected to the net correct?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I never played Max Payne 2 or 3. This is gonna be great.
I must say I’m surprised to hear the shooting is better in 2 than 3. I’ll give it a shot.

Don't get me wrong. 3 is also great. But 2 is just on another level. You're always in control of the character.

Like mention before, 3 takes this control way too often from you. This combined with unresponsive movement due to fancy animations and reliance on cover kills the flow of the action.

I'm not sure how fun it will be on a controller, the game requires pixel perfect accuracy sometimes.

That's it by the way.

Damn it. We still needed outrun 2, pgr3/4, rallisport 2, jsrf etc.

Good to see Nier, otogi, ridge racrr and others though. Xbox now has the definitive version of Nier! 4k and og ost/dad :p

I would email the Xbox support team. They are really good and providing information for these sort of issues.

Forsythia

Can't purchase Max Payne 3, FEAR and FEAR Files. Probably more, but these are the ones I was looking forward to play again. What gives MS?!

Genx3

The PS3 included the PS2 chip on the board. Same with the PS2 and PS1. They weren’t emulating the hardware.
Like I stated in the previous post Emulation is not illegal.

XGS probably doesn't want to spend time on making games BC if they can't offer them on the digital store but licensing would not stop them from adding games to BC.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
People are in here trying to enjoy something and here you come per usual to try to rain on peoples parade. Do you even enjoy video games bro ? Doesn't seem like it.
As usual? 90 percent of my posts about games are positive. Literally in that very post which you took offense to I also made a positive comment.

RaZoR No1

Sad to read that this is the final BC drop...
still so many games left, we cannot play on Xbox One / Series.

At the same time nice to get at least another drop.

Is Ridge Racer on the store or do we need the disc?

Top Bottom