• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Accidentally reveals 21 million Xbox Series S/X and 58 million Xbox one sold.

While not openly, Microsoft has finally revealed global Xbox Series X|S sales figures directly for the first time since launch over 21 million. That actually puts Xbox Series in a good position compared to other Xbox's though they need to pick things up a notch to keep it that way.

This also means Xbox One total sales are about 58M maximum. That's not as bad as I was expecting so it did better than it was perceived.

Nearly 50% of Series S users are new. No stats for Series X.

Last edited:
Standalone image outside of Twitter
Fz0igjFXsAEaXrZ

Also says 79 million all together with Xbox One so we finally get Xbox One numbers 58 million

Max, depending on how much over Series is.

That's really better than what many were expecting. I'm sure if they weren't in a rush to discontinue the One X and gave on more price cut to One S they probably could have covered that last 2 million to reach 60M. Maybe.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Its not very good for fruggin huuuuuge company like MS they wants much more than being so behind the compeitions

I'm dissapointed Master Chiefs was my role model Starfields looks incredibubble so maaayyybe they can come backabit

Really surprised that Xbox One sold more than 58 million consoles with such a lackluster, barren, and dire first-party situation.

I'd say that matches when you think about it. 13-15M of that was in the first year or not far from it, and then Players Unknown came out when they started reversing the consoles reputation with two new models and that game was selling millions late on the consoles life, it may be what saved it in the end from being a sub 40M. It's speculation without yearly sales from 2015-2021 but both those time periods are the only times I recall Xbox putting out press regularly about games sales outside Halo 5.

21m+ for the Xbox Series is similar to what the Xbone was doing launch aligned, with a better strategy from the former than the latter.

Not too good in my eyes, but legs will be key.

Actually, from Q422 onward Xbox One should be tripping backwards. At least until the aligned reveal of the One S for a few months, then it'll decline again.

ZehDon

Gold Member
21m+ isn't too bad, considering they've had virtually no first party titles, and two of their titles were big high profile disasters.
Really surprised that Xbox One sold more than 58 million consoles with such a lackluster, barren, and dire first-party situation.
The Xbone S is a solid media player, and a terrific cost effective 4K UHD optical player. I imagine that fact isn't lost on a lot of people

Bridges

You've got to consider that a lot of people only care about third party games. There is a percentage of people who just wanted a new box that could play the new Batman/Madden/Call of Duty/FIFA/Battlefield etc or just wanted a way to get Fortnite on their TV, and also has the brand recognition from the 360 era.
Clearly not enough to match Sony, but I'm sure there's plenty of people who bought an Xbox that don't even know what the term "1st party" even means.

You've got to consider that a lot of people only care about third party games. There is a percentage of people who just wanted a new box that could play the new Batman/Madden/Call of Duty/FIFA/Battlefield etc or just wanted a way to get Fortnite on their TV, and also has the brand recognition from the 360 era.
Clearly not enough to match Sony, but I'm sure there's plenty of people who bought an Xbox that don't even know what the term "1st party" even means.

PU Battlegrounds was also the main title people were playing based on Microsoft press releases in the late period, which was console exclusive back then and that was early battle royale craze. Forums didn't view it as an exclusive but the public sure did.

Madden was also extremely Xbox associated at the time, before Madden lost much of its base, and while Fifa sold more on PS4, Xbox for years had exclusive content. I forgot what it was I think it was a few teams and cosmetics or something. Just enough to keep the console relevant in the late years.

That said I was expecting just reaching into 50, but almost getting 60M is more impressive than I thought.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
21m+ isn't too bad, considering they've had virtually no first party titles, and two of their titles were big high profile disasters.

The Xbone S is a solid media player, and a terrific cost effective 4K UHD optical player. I imagine that fact isn't lost on a lot of people

Obviously one of them is Redfall, but I must be going senile, what was the other disaster?

ZehDon

Gold Member
Obviously one of them is Redfall, but I must be going senile, what was the other disaster?
That would be Halo Infinite. Its embarrassing showing and following delay left the Series consoles to launch without a game. Then it finally launched and did... fine, but the multiplayer served as an ongoing embarrassment for Microsoft that perpetuated the narrative that eventually Redfall caused to bubble over. It also caused the gutting of its developer, but that's a different topic.

StereoVsn

58 million down from 84 million (Xbox 360) …… and only 21 million nearly half a gen in? They may not even cross 50 million this gen….
I think this will depend on how good the exclusives will be front he current studios and if they will be allowed to buy Activision.

If Starfield, next Fable, etc will all be amazing, Xbox may sell well, at least relatively speaking. Otherwise not so much.

mrmustard

Banned
21m+ for the Xbox Series is similar to what the Xbone was doing launch aligned, with a better strategy from the former than the latter.

Not too good in my eyes, but legs will be key.
I wouldn't call it a better strategy for selling more consoles if everybody knows right before the launch that all the games will also launch day1 on pc or that you can stream them from your smartphone, tablet, tv and mnay more. That's actually the opposite.

I wouldn't call it a better strategy for selling more consoles if everybody knows right before the launch that all the games will also launch day1 on pc or that you can stream them from your smartphone, tablet, tv and mnay more. That's actually the opposite.
I saw the opposite, lot of people praising the Series S, the price of both, The value of Gamepass, Day one edition games, etc.

A lot of people said that MS would give PS a run for their money, but it seems the narrative already changed.

mrmustard

Banned
I saw the opposite, lot of people praising the Series S, the price of both, The value of Gamepass, Day one edition games, etc.

A lot of people said that MS would give PS a run for their money, but it seems the narrative already changed.
The Series S is a good console, but if you want to sell it, don't put your shit on countless other devices. They don't even gave their own customers a reason to upgrade, because you can also stream Series games from Xbox One. Without day1 releases and xCloud they would have a couple of million more sales, that's for sure.

I think Ps5 is at 40M or a little above and should be announced soon enough.
VGChartz was pretty accurate on Xbox:

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 35,942,643
Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 21,351,543

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
In terms of value/price ratio I think the xss is their best product since they entered the game.. its an awesome machine at that price point.

I am curious to see some gamepass numbers for PC
I don't think the price is great right now. 349 for the 1TB is insanely high and 260 for the 500GB is too much too, because prices were already down to 199 Euros last year for a few weeks.

Last edited:

Valkyria

Banned
Agree. Xbox One S was a much better deal. Disc drive, a little upgrade of specs and the full experience of Xbox One at the time.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
VGChartz was pretty accurate on Xbox:

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 35,942,643
Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 21,351,543
VGChartz was not accurate. What you're seeing is updated data that they corrected after other (more reliable) sources shared significantly different data.

They were advertising more than 20 million at the start of December 2022.

If Xbox is now at 21 million, does this mean that Microsoft has sold only 1 million units in the last 7 months? That's obviously incorrect.

Top Bottom