• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf323

This meeting also almost certainly pointed out the collusion between FTC and CMA. Hell, CMA pretty much admitted it.
parks and recreation whats your point GIF

Elios83

Basically yeah, to hear the case and then make a decision shortly afterwards.
Ok thanks, don't know about Microsoft's poker face here but it's clear that they tried hard today to avoid re-negotiation but now the ship has sailed so we'll see things moving on quickly if shareholders have to agree to something new before the end of July.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
I have to wonder why the cma and ftc are against this deal
And the rest of the world are OK with it
I mean even China are ok with this deal
Usually ( correct me I'm wrong) the uk and usa always side with Ms
What a strange case 🤔
Anyway I'm happy this dumb drama will end in July
Marketshares in each jurisdiction. US/UK are more competitive for Xbox so the impact of the deal is far greater, Europe and elsewhere it's almost entirely playstation so the stakes are very low (marketshare will go from 90/10 to possible 60/40 in the next 10 years so big whoop).

GHG

Ok thanks, don't know about Microsoft's poker face here but it's clear that they tried hard today to avoid re-negotiation but now the ship has sailed so we'll see thing moving on quickly of shareholders have to agree to something new before the end of July.

I think they will take the opportunity to push it even further back considering the FTC is penciled in for August.

It would be wise for them to try and negotiate a 12 month extension.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
CMA sent an intern. Microsoft put their best men on it.

Neither got what they ideally wanted. The proposed dates are currently just after the deal deadline date as agreed with Activision but well short of what the CMA requested.
This will be interesting to see what Activision/MS do in this regards. I doubt Activision wants all their 3rd party marketing deals hampered in 2024 and beyond for this to be potentially deadlocked for several years under a new contract structure. Another 12 months sure, but the FTC can drag this through attrition and take their sweet time doing it.

Will there be remedies?
Will there be divestments?
Will they have confidence of overturning, because if not, that's a long road of no revenue coming in that publishers rely on for partners to fund their future games/marketing?

Last edited:

reksveks

Ok thanks, don't know about Microsoft's poker face here but it's clear that they tried hard today to avoid re-negotiation but now the ship has sailed so we'll see things moving on quickly if shareholders have to agree to something new before the end of July.
Yeah, there seems to be a second hearing before the actual one which may delay it again based on the evidence.

Is it over?
Nope, ABK's lawyers seem to be talking now. Talking about what they would want to talk about in the hearing.

Last edited:

graywolf323

I think they will take the opportunity to push it even further back considering the FTC is penciled in for August.

It would be wise for them to try and negotiate a 12 month extension.
yeah but what would they have to offer Activision to make it worth them waiting upwards of another year over just taking the $3 billion and getting back to business (while Kotick thanks Microsoft for saving his ass and giving him $3 billion)

GHG

This will be interesting to see what Activision/MS do in this regards. I doubt Activision wants all their 3rd party marketing deals hampered in 2024 and beyond for this to be potentially deadlocked for several years under a new contract structure.

Will there be remedies?
Will there be divestments?
Will they have confidence of overturning, because if not, that's a long road of no revenue coming in that publishers rely on for partners to fund their games/marketing?

The biggest hurdle will be shareholders.

When I think of the individuals involved, both at Microsoft and Activision, I can see them being arrogant and stubborn enough to want to take this all the way, even if it means it running deep into 2024. The fact that they have received so many approvals from elsewhere reinforces that for me.

However, what the shareholders will want might be something different entirely. Especially considering the current bullish sentiment across the US equities market.

Last edited:

demigod

The biggest hurdle will be shareholders.

When I think of the individuals involved, both at Microsoft and Activision, I can see them being arrogant and stubborn enough to want to take this all the way, even if it means it running deep into 2024. The fact that they have received so many approvals from elsewhere reinforces that for me.

However, what the shareholders will want might be something different entirely. Especially considering the current bullish sentiment across the US equities market.
I don’t see Bobby wanting to work under ms now that he has control of his company again.

reksveks

Judge wants ABK and MS to make life easier for everyone easier by having a single statement of intervention or whatever its called.

Named dropped MS Word.

Liked the term "lurid colour"

Last edited:

reksveks

Microsoft and ABK calling all their friends to get someone to try and "intervene" before the 2nd June. MS and ABK obviously get more time.

Last edited:

reksveks

Is it over?
Was it better than the PlayStation showcase?
Not over yet, I do like this shit but getting a headache now.

Just give the tribunal bullet points of your argument. Two people talking about how they are in agreement.... Utterly boring.

Last edited:

reksveks

I do love talking about document and numbering conventions.

Don't worry about the Scottish gamers.

And fin.

Last edited:

reksveks

I think the best way is numbers, letters and the roman numbers. Most easily digested.

no news but Microsoft and Activision lawyer think this is a slam dunk and easy win for them
They always have, haven't they?

Nothing new. What lawyer in their right mind would make things look bleak for their clients in public.
What jm89 said. But I maybe wouldnt have used the phrase that the MS lawyer did.

The ABK laywer and the CAT judge do have a bromance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom