• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Does it offend you to know a trillion dollar company and it's army of lawyers know more about law and business than random gamer? If you really do know better you should phone them up you're about to become quite rich from your up and coming DeepEnigma Consulting LLC business.

DeepEnigma DeepEnigma somone has it in for you I think.

Now then, where have I seen this before.

Thinking Wow GIF by The Bachelor

Can you provide a link or a source which confirms your insistence that MS can simply bypass the UK regulator. @Nydus keeps telling you to sit down because it appears you just want to state something and wish it into fruition. And in contrast, he keeps referring to documented contracts which are legally binding.

I say that respectfully, of course. But links, a source, or a reference would base your argument in fact and facilitate good debate.

Pachter has been saying this the whole time. Of COURSE they can choose to just take ABK products out of the UK and just close the deal for every other country. Were you under the impression that the CMA can regulate what OTHER countries do? Nydius Nydius get used to playing Battlefield and Paladins instead of COD and OW the next time you pop open a pack of crumpets to settle down to play some games.

Pelta88

Pachter has been saying this the whole time. Of COURSE they can choose to just take ABK products out of the UK and just close the deal for every other country. Were you under the impression that the CMA can regulate what OTHER countries do? Nydius Nydius get used to playing Battlefield and Paladins instead of COD and OW the next time you pop open a pack of crumpets to settle down to play some games.

You responded with 3 articles... Based on the same rumour... Which states that Microsoft "Might" do something which we know isn't legally possible accroding to the documents they've showcased and signed. I asked for a source and you compiled rumours.

Secondly, and equally as important. Pachter knows nothing. My infant child knows more than he does. He is talking just to talk. In reality, beyond the consortium of XB hopefuls, the two analysts which we inverse are Cramer and Pachter. That's not me being disrespectful, that's an actual stock market quotable.

Last edited:

Dane

Even if possible, why would Kottick agree to this? Microsoft probably isn't the only company that would be interested in buying them and they're doing much better now on their own.
If they buy, it would be their problem, no longer ABK board of directors.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

triple-h-disgusted.gif

Last edited:
There is nothing to indicate the CAT is "siding with MS over the CMA". There has only been a case management hearing. No idea where this "MS abandoning the acquisition" is coming from either. Never even implied it.

There really isn't much point discussing fiction my man.
You realize the case management hearing had the CMA arguing against MS over several things such as when the hearing should take place and the judge routinely siding with MS there? That's what siding means btw.

MS abandoning the acquisition is what would happen if they chose not to close the acquisition... Like you can't close the acquisition without closing the acquisition lol.

Topher

Gold Member
You realize the case management hearing had the CMA arguing against MS over several things such as when the hearing should take place and the judge routinely siding with MS there? That's what siding means btw.

MS abandoning the acquisition is what would happen if they chose not to close the acquisition... Like you can't close the acquisition without closing the acquisition lol.

guipvgh.jpg

bitbydeath

This is Florian, isn’t it?

Ronin_7

Guys it's not Microsoft leaving the UK, it would be Activision move.

King would die immediately most employees are from the UK lmao.

But I've seen crazier 🔥🔥🔥

Dick Jones

Gold Member
In the past few hours, all this "ABK and MS will leave the UK" talk feels like this ABK acquisition thread has been merged with the AGM for Densa

Last edited:

Nydius

Yeah, I think I'm done with this thread. The sheer amount of long-dormant accounts popping up regurgitating the same braindead Twitter and Xbox subreddit takes, parroting fictional nonsense as reality, when they've been debunked repeatedly has worn me down to the point where participating in this thread just feels meaningless. I hope Microsoft is paying them well.

In conclusion I stand by my assertions:
- Activision doesn't need Microsoft, Microsoft needs Activision.
- Microsoft can't simply pull out of the UK market in any form without extreme logistical problems.
- Activision shareholders certainly won't approve of the company leaving the UK before the merger just to increase the odds of the merger.
- The CMA is not going to suddenly change their minds unless the CAT appeal ruling tells them to reevaluate.
- The FTC court case likely will not be successful but can drag this out for longer than shareholders would like.
- The deal is dead. Activision will walk away $3B richer on their balance sheet, which was already profitable before this merger talk began.

Xbox fanboys are free to believe whatever delusions they like.
The above is predicated on factual information provided by the CMA, CAT, Microsoft themselves to the SEC, and Activision.

On a personal note: Fuck Microsoft. Not Xbox -- Microsoft. People championing this deal have forgotten how shitty arrogant Microsoft has been in every industry they've become involved with. If anyone needs me, I'm going to be playing my Druid on Diablo 4 that I bought on my Xbox Series X. Unlike Xbox fanboys who feel like every AAA title should be gifted to them on Game Pass by Uncle Phil.

Toodles.

reinking

Gold Member
Guys it's not Microsoft leaving the UK, it would be Activision move.

King would die immediately most employees are from the UK lmao.

But I've seen crazier 🔥🔥🔥
This. As loud as MS is right now it is ABK that will drive what happens next. Are they being vocal? I know LULU made the emoji tweet but I have not seen much else. Of course, I am not looking for it either. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Alebrije

I am still wondering as a consumer what is the benefit that Microsoft gets ABK...call of duty or diablo day one on Gamepass ? Maybe..

Iced Arcade

Yeah, I think I'm done with this thread. The sheer amount of long-dormant accounts popping up regurgitating the same braindead Twitter and Xbox subreddit takes, parroting fictional nonsense as reality, when they've been debunked repeatedly has worn me down to the point where participating in this thread just feels meaningless. I hope Microsoft is paying them well.

In conclusion I stand by my assertions:
- Activision doesn't need Microsoft, Microsoft needs Activision.
- Microsoft can't simply pull out of the UK market in any form without extreme logistical problems.
- Activision shareholders certainly won't approve of the company leaving the UK before the merger just to increase the odds of the merger.
- The CMA is not going to suddenly change their minds unless the CAT appeal ruling tells them to reevaluate.
- The FTC court case likely will not be successful but can drag this out for longer than shareholders would like.
- The deal is dead. Activision will walk away $3B richer on their balance sheet, which was already profitable before this merger talk began.

Xbox fanboys are free to believe whatever delusions they like.
The above is predicated on factual information provided by the CMA, CAT, Microsoft themselves to the SEC, and Activision.

On a personal note: Fuck Microsoft. Not Xbox -- Microsoft. People championing this deal have forgotten how shitty arrogant Microsoft has been in every industry they've become involved with. If anyone needs me, I'm going to be playing my Druid on Diablo 4 that I bought on my Xbox Series X. Unlike Xbox fanboys who feel like every AAA title should be gifted to them on Game Pass by Uncle Phil.

Toodles.
Comforting 30 Rock GIF

relax lol

Last edited:

Ogbert

There are no benefits to the consumer, obviously. This acquisition was always about making MS bigger and Sony smaller.
That’s not true though.

There is a benefit to the consumer in that Gamepass would offer a far more cost effective way of playing CoD. If this was going to drive prices up, the merger would have been blocked as it applied to the static console market. The fact that it’s concentrating on cloud is the regulators waiving the impact on current consoles and recognising that there is a benefit.

Not a benefit that *we* might want, but a benefit all the same.

doesnt mean ABK content will not be available in the UK. there was an article the other day that said the games would be released by a local distributor, just like how blizzards partnership with netease because of laws in china.
An interesting yet obtuse way to do business. I suppose with $68bn on the line you're going to do whatever you have to do.

feynoob

Banned
That’s not true though.

There is a benefit to the consumer in that Gamepass would offer a far more cost effective way of playing CoD. If this was going to drive prices up, the merger would have been blocked as it applied to the static console market. The fact that it’s concentrating on cloud is the regulators waiving the impact on current consoles and recognising that there is a benefit.

Not a benefit that *we* might want, but a benefit all the same.
That is not a benefit.
This deal is a curse for gamers.

You only think of gamepass. But have you ever thought of the consequences for allowing a deal at this magnitude to pass?

There is no problem if they were buying cdpr or Sega. But this is a freaking 67b deal in a gaming sector. If this gets approved, all the big boys will jump in gaming, because that is absurd money to spend on a gaming publisher.

That is what the consumers will face if this deal gets approved. So fk that gamepass benefits.

feynoob

Banned
To me the most insane part of all this is still EC and CMA waving away console market concerns. EC specially with their 4-1 remarks, like by that logic MS could buy ABK, Ubisoft, T2, Sega, all in one swoop and that argument would still stand. It’s an insane argument.
Xbox one has been a blessing for them.

Varteras

Gold Member
That is not a benefit.
This deal is a curse for gamers.

You only think of gamepass. But have you ever thought of the consequences for allowing a deal at this magnitude to pass?

There is no problem if they were buying cdpr or Sega. But this is a freaking 67b deal in a gaming sector. If this gets approved, all the big boys will jump in gaming, because that is absurd money to spend on a gaming publisher.

That is what the consumers will face if this deal gets approved. So fk that gamepass benefits.

The biggest concern is Sony's reaction. They're already looking into spinning off their financial arm. That would give them a big cash boost, jump their stock price, concentrate their investments, and rid them of maintaining bank reserves to allow greater fluidity in their cash. Their president already made it clear that Sony sees the consolidation and refuses to just watch. This is all AFTER it appears that the deal won't go through. Now imagine their stance if it does somehow. Sony's acquisitions up to this point will look like small potatoes by comparison. They won't be the only ones. The whole industry will turn into a feeding frenzy. Shit, we may yet see that happen anyways.

PaintTinJr

I already addressed that. You're gonna be dumbstruck surprised when you see the FTC continue their merger case loss streak into infinity lmao.
No, you confused your projection of what you believe will happen with the FTC legal actions with their current view/stance/intentions that I stated the facts of.

You've clearly forgotten your original point I said was dishonest:

"Microsoft have the morale high ground, 40 countries; basically everyone really, supports the deal but the mean UK CMA. It is so unfair and not right!".

You stating the FTC will actually sue (and lose) just reinforces my point that no one in the SEC list supports the deal from most of those 40 countries.

China let it pass because they have nothing to lose, the EC had all the same issues as the UK and FTC, but need to grift Microsoft in fines years later to fund their expensive gravy train, and the FTC and CMA's position is to block.

The day the CMA bends over to Microsoft pressure will be a dark day to the United Kingdom's democracy.
They left the EU to not be told what to do by external, "unelected" officials, and are now being put under pressure by spoiled brats. I hope they keep their head high.
They can do what they want on their island. They shouldn't be able to dictate what the world can and cannot do. They don't like it they don't have to have it in their country, simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom