• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadMan

The Era lawyer said they're two different organizations and have to submit different challenges but i don't know shit.

The original SEC filing had MS in the lead for any legal action and PR surrounding the acquisition.

I don’t think ABK are required to do anything at this point beyond providing support to MS in the legal matters.

When ABK responded to the CMA during the investigation, they were responding to an open request for comment.

bender

What time is it?
An Iraqi stanning for a US megacorp like his life depends on it.

I think I've seen it all now.
giphy.gif

PaintTinJr

Weren’t they added to Microsoft’s motion or something?
My memory of the CMC is fading more and more, but the judge mentioned something about a deadline date for interveners to provded submission and be ready IIRC, and when the ATVI lead chair was giving his alternate universe take I'm pretty sure he kept dismounting sentences with something about the judge adding them to the suit(?) - which I suspect was never officially granted after he got ATVI and Microsoft to agree on submitting one MS Word document together and marking which parts ATVI were taking a lead on an argument and vice versa.

Last edited:

sainraja

Some mental gymnastics you are putting yourself through. I don’t think I can make myself any clearer. You can justify it any way you would like if it helps you. It’s very simple. Microsoft are taking steps to try and become the netflix of games. I like this. If Sony tried this. I would support them. But currently they aren’t.
Yes, I know. You like that, AND so you've made a choice, which is — their ecosystem, lol. Being willing to switch to another does not change the fact that you've made a choice right now in Microsoft's ecosystem around Game Pass. It's okay. You like Game Pass, and you are OK with questionable moves by MS because it gives you games on their service, which is blinding you in a way, but hey, you do you!

Anyway, we're going in circles, and I will continue to entertain that, haha, but I mean, whatever 😀.

Last edited:

Calverz

Yes, I know. You like that, AND so you've made a choice, which is — their ecosystem, lol. Being willing to switch to another does not change the fact that you've made a choice right now in Microsoft's ecosystem around Game Pass. It's okay. You like Game Pass, and you are OK with questionable moves by MS because it gives you games on their service, which is blinding you in a way, but hey, you do you!

Anyway, we're going in circles, and I will continue to entertain that, haha, but I mean, whatever 😀.
Work Out Exercise GIF

Give your brain a rest dude.

Activision didn't challenged CMA decision.

The valid date is off the table by weeks already, seems like Bobby is ready to accept that 3B check 🤣
Based on the reporting at the end of last week about MS' growing desperation to close the deal no matter what, even if it crosses the line into illegality or breaches the agreement/international regulators, I am beginning to believe that ATVI has informed them, or MS is convinced, that ATVI/Kotick will not re-sign a re-negotiated merger agreement once the July 18th deadline passes.

Ronin_7

Banned
Based on the reporting at the end of last week about MS' growing desperation to close the deal no matter what, even if it crosses the line into illegality or breaches the agreement/international regulators, I am beginning to believe that ATVI has informed them, or MS is convinced, that ATVI/Kotick will not re-sign a re-negotiated merger agreement once the July 18th deadline passes.
50/50 no doubt.

Gone

Banned
Gamepass isn't even officially available in your country dude.
And?
It's been like this for ages.
No Steam, no Playstation Store and no MS Store. We rely on using US accounts and buy prepaid cards to get things done.

What's that have to do with anything?
p5xg4jh.jpg

GHG

And?
It's been like this for ages.
No Steam, no Playstation Store and no MS Store. We rely on using US accounts and buy prepaid cards to get things done.

What's that have to do with anything?
p5xg4jh.jpg

It has everything to do with everything.

They have made it abundantly clear they don't give a shit about you through not acknowledging the country you live or and/or having no official channels via which to purchase their products and services. At any moment they can decide to close whatever loopholes you're using to make your purchases and access your accounts, and you would have no recourse.

But yet, despite all that you're stanning for them like you think they are your best friend or something. Jokes on you mate.

Last edited:

Gone

Banned
It has everything to do with everything.

They have made it abundantly clear they don't give a shit about you through not acknowledging the country you live or and/or having no official channels via which to purchase their products and services. At any moment they can decide to close whatever loopholes you're using to make your purchases and access your accounts, and you would have no recourse.

But yet, despite all that you're stanning for them like you think they are your best friend or something. Jokes on you mate.
This has to be one of the shitiest take I ever read.

And yes, the country I live in is a shithole. We all know that.

I'm not stanning for them or Sony or Valve or any other company. It's all about the entertainment they provide us. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anything else?

GHG

I'm not stanning for them or Sony or Valve or any other company. It's all about the entertainment they provide us. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anything else?

First things first, I'm not calling your country a "shithole", that's not the point I'm making.

As for the bold, everyone can see that. But yet you're behaving like Microsoft are some noble company, making crazy accusations about the CMA.

You should stan for nobody, especially so considering the lack of official support from all these multinational companies in your country. Don't fanboy for anyone, especially not when they don't even acknowledge you, crazy, I know.

Last edited:

devilNprada

Microsoft are taking steps to try and become the netflix of games.
With Netflix, my family can watch at the same time on any device for $15 per month... MS has spent the past 23 years making sure we cannot do that..
Some of us just really don't want the license Nazi's dictating the market policy...

Last edited:

Gone

Banned
First things first, I'm not calling your country a "shithole", that's not the point I'm making.

As for the bold, everyone can see that.

You should stan for nobody, especially so considering the lack of official support from all these multinational companies in your country. Don't fanboy for anyone, especially not when they don't even acknowledge you, crazy, I know.
I'm calling it that, because it is, sadly.

Wouldn't even bother explaining to you why there is no official support from any big company. The short answer because the country is a shithole ruled by a bunch of criminals.

Calverz

With Netflix, my family can watch at the same time on any device for $15 per month... MS has spent the past 23 years making sure we cannot do that..
Some of us just really don't want the license Nazi's dictating the market policy...

sainraja

This has to be one of the shitiest take I ever read.

And yes, the country I live in is a shithole. We all know that.

Anything else?
Are you not entertained right now?
Are you unable to play said games that will be added to their studio list?
What country? :D

Last edited:

GHG

I'm calling it that, because it is, sadly.

Wouldn't even bother explaining to you why there is no official support from any big company. The short answer because the country is a shithole ruled by a bunch of criminals.

I know why man, I've lived in the middle east for a decade now, I'm familiar with the situation. Which is why it makes it all the more surpsing for me to see someone going so hard for an international company when we all know the situation can literally change overnight.

You know all too well how dangerous it can be when a single entity has a huge amount of power and control, but yet that's the exact ideology you're endorsing here from a business standpoint.

M
Welcome to my ignore list.
I was reading all your post the last day(s)
And you insulting and your agressive and cocky behaviour is to much for me you sound that you have tentrum after tentrum. I can see that steam is coming out of your ears. I pitty your poor keyboard....Anyway so, Calverz even if you dont care what i'am going to but, welcome to my ignore list, your to much of a hothead....

Calverz

M

And you insulting and your agressive and cocky behaviour is to much for me you sound that you have tentrum after tentrum. I can see that steam is coming out of your ears. I pitty your poor keyboard....Anyway so, Calverz even if you dont care what i'am going to but, welcome to my ignore list, your to much of a hothead....
Thanks for all the reactions.

Edmund

M

You notice the Xbox fans behave like the higherups who work there?

Aaron Greenberg, Brad Smith, Satya, Phil. They behave the same way.

Look at the kind of fanboys they breed. Senjutsu, Colt Eastwood, Florian Mueller, Peter Ovo etc.

Pelta88

That moment when you realize someone is advocating hard for a Microsoft. But Microsoft doesn't give a fuck about his country on a national level.

3jso7i.jpg

Gone

Banned
I know why man, I've lived in the middle east for a decade now, I'm familiar with the situation. Which is why it makes it all the more surpsing for me to see someone going so hard for an international company when we all know the situation can literally change overnight.

You know all too well how dangerous it can be when a single entity has a huge amount of power and control, but yet that's the exact ideology you're endorsing here from a business standpoint.
That international company is providing me with a "cheap" option for my entertainment and that's why I want this deal to go through. I don't give a shit about how Microsoft is doing financially or in any other part of the company besides gaming.

And nope, Microsoft owning Activision Blizzard wouldn't create that scenario.

GHG

That international company is providing me with a "cheap" option for my entertainment and that's why I want this deal to go through. I don't give a shit about how Microsoft is doing financially or in any other part of the company besides gaming.

And nope, Microsoft owning Activision Blizzard wouldn't create that scenario.

So after all that you're doubling down? It's just "muh cheap games" and fuck everything else right?

Two of the biggest and most significant regulators have said the acquisition has the potential to cause significant harm in the area of cloud. So from a forward looking standpoint, it's not "and nope", it's very much "and yes". So that's a scenario you're willing to put up with because you might be able to get call of duty included in your gamepass subscription for however long it might be currently stacked for?

And one wonders how certain countries end up being ruled how they currently are? It's ironic.

Last edited:

Gone

Banned
So after all that you're doubling down? It's just "muh cheap games" and fuck everything else right?

Two of the biggest and most significant regulators have said the acquisition has the potential to cause significant harm in the area of cloud. So from a forward looking standpoint, it's not "and nope", it's very much "and yes". So that's a scenario you're willing to put up with because you might be able to get call of duty included in your gamepass subscription for however long it might be currently stacked for?

And one wonders how certain countries end up being ruled how they currently are? It's ironic.
I explained to you why I'm using Microsoft services right now.

The two regulators, the first is a joke within a joke administration that everyone else except democrats see how full of shit they are. And the second is one who used incorrect data and I already explained why Microsoft having Activision games wouldn't change the cloud landscape no matter how people try to spin it.

Finally, yeah let's compare wanting a deal going through in the entertainment industry to being a country ruled by actual militias who'll kill you if you dare to at least speak against their corruption and theft.. you guys need help.

Gone

Banned
By that time "if" you decide to go a different route... You won't have another option to get Activision games..
You are very short sighted...
I have the option to buy them just like how things are now.

And there are thousands more games to choose from.

GHG

I explained to you why I'm using Microsoft services right now.

The two regulators, the first is a joke within a joke administration that everyone else except democrats see how full of shit they are. And the second is one who used incorrect data and I already explained why Microsoft having Activision games wouldn't change the cloud landscape no matter how people try to spin it.

Finally, yeah let's compare wanting a deal going through in the entertainment industry to being a country ruled by actual militias who'll kill you if you dare to at least speak against their corruption and theft.. you guys need help.

Specifically I'm talking about the EC and the CMA, not the FTC. The details for the FTC's case are not yet known in full.

Considering your rant here it's clear that you don't even understand the situation as it stands. The CMA and EC agreed in almost all areas, the only difference being that the EC felt that remedies along with ongoing monitoring were sufficient whereas the CMA did not deem that to be appropriate, especially in this situation where the market is nascent.

The point is that autocratic positions aren't created overnight my friend, they creep up over time. Very much the same way that in the corporate world monopolies don't just happen overnight. You should know all too well that prevention is better than cure.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The argument is that the games on these other platforms have a expiration date. In 10 years Microsoft can legally yank every ABK back into the fold and no one can do anything about it. Phil Spencer has said COD will stay on PlayStation and I believe he is being honest, but there is no guarantee Phil Spencer will be at Xbox in 10 years. You've got the most popular gaming franchise in the world being owned by a single platform holder. Having said that, referencing how the Bethesda deal was handled is not a poor argument at all. The size of the deal isn't the issue. The actions taken are. You cannot tell me it would shock anyone if somewhere down the road Call of Duty becomes exclusive to Xbox.
10 years is a long time. There is as much reason to think they would continue with a similar deal beyond that as there is to think they won't. Its hypothetical. But for 10 years, which will cover the next gen the deals would result in more availability. This is not hypothetical but is conditional with respect to the acquisition.

I really hate platforms right now. I needed to buy Diablo 4 on PS5 because the pc version doesn't have couch coop. Now I have a fucking year of psn extra so I can play it and it has many of the same games that are on gamepass. It's just waste I pay for redundant hardware to play exclusives and redundant services for online and countless controllers. It's a lot of waste that gamers have to pay. At least MS let's me play on my pc.

Topher

Gold Member
10 years is a long time. There is as much reason to think they would continue with a similar deal beyond that as there is to think they won't. Its hypothetical. But for 10 years, which will cover the next gen the deals would result in more availability. This is not hypothetical but is conditional with respect to the acquisition.

I really hate platforms right now. I needed to buy Diablo 4 on PS5 because the pc version doesn't have couch coop. Now I have a fucking year of psn extra so I can play it and it has many of the same games that are on gamepass. It's just waste I pay for redundant hardware to play exclusives and redundant services for online and countless controllers. It's a lot of waste that gamers have to pay. At least MS let's me play on my pc.

If Bethesda is any indication then Microsoft's actions after 10 years will not match their actions prior. So no, there is not "as much reason" at all. Quite the opposite. So is 10 years of increased availability worth the distinct possibility that all those deals go by the wayside after? Not to me. I get you want the benefits for you. Nothing wrong with that, but for me looking at the possible gaming landscape in 10+ years if this deal goes through isn't something I look forward to.

Man, I swear half the ppl that posted today need to be ban for least a week. And I’m talking bout on both sides. Y’all arguing each other like your life on the line for which ever ways it goes. Shit.

feynoob

Banned
Man, I swear half the ppl that posted today need to be ban for least a week. And I’m talking bout on both sides. Y’all arguing each other like your life on the line for which ever ways it goes. Shit.
You must be new here.
We have these dumb arguments alot through this thread.
Don't take it to heart. Once this deal is done, everyone will go to their boredom days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom