• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingT731

I mean do the CMA do deals like that where they put contracts out? there are easy ways to break them to. instead of being called Call of duty it can be renamed and say its a new game. look at Fifa
Not sure of the full breadth of the UK court system but in the US with the FTC one of the first steps would be civil penalties and some situations may be raised to federal courts.

FIFA isn't the same deal. It's literally the same game just won't have the FIFA branding and use of the WC teams and EA doesn't own that branding. For example PGA Tour games that had Tiger Woods branding from 99-2014 then was Rory Mcllroy for 2015 before losing the PGA license exclusivity.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not sure of the full breadth of the UK court system but in the US with the FTC one of the first steps would be civil penalties and some situations may be raised to federal courts.

FIFA isn't the same deal. It's literally the same game just won't have the FIFA branding and use of the WC teams and EA doesn't own that branding. For example PGA Tour games that had Tiger Woods branding from 99-2014 then was Rory Mcllroy for 2015 before losing the PGA license exclusivity.

yeah but if they change a few things here and there they could say its a new game. remember the call of duty team back in the day were the medal of honour team. yeah they moved from EA to Activision but it was the same game back then just renamed. the series has evolved a lot since back then

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Do said individual games risk said competitors from competing?
I sure hope you don't think for a moment I'm fooled by you Green Rat hat after all the abuse you've directed at poor beleaguered Phil, Xbox and Microsoft. I know how faithless you are. The minute my back is turned you're right back hanging with your Blue Snake buddies and saying mean things about Xbox and us Green Rats. There is NO Doritos and Dew for you!

Topher

Gold Member
I sure hope you don't think for a moment I'm fooled by you Green Rat hat after all the abuse you've directed at poor beleaguered Phil, Xbox and Microsoft. I know how faithless you are. The minute my back is turned you're right back hanging with your Blue Snake buddies and saying mean things about Xbox and us Green Rats. There is NO Doritos and Dew for you!

Cheer up, CatLady CatLady . Our avatar purgatory ends in a week!

Happy Lets Go GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping trying to deflect lady rage for you bro!

feynoob

Gold Member
What about me? I still need my doritos..
Bunny Ugh GIF

I'm ashamed of my words and deeds

I'll accept your punishement tonight after our romantic dinner

I am saying what the CMA and other regulators will be looking at. I don't think there is a game/content that would fatally harm Sony from competing. There are very few of those in general across all of media.

I personally don't think the Sony argument is that strong and think if the CMA is most worried about the console market then MSFT will give that to regulators/Sony to get the deal through.

If the regulators are concerned about multi-game subscription services then it gets more interesting. I don't know how much MSFT would like not having COD on GP, maybe pulling the marketing deal out of Sony control is enough.

As a MSFT shareholder, think personally every upto divesting Activision should be on the table if it comes to that. Think King is the golden egg.
I read that the problem with divesting Activision from King and Blizzard is viability. Activision would have to be a viable business on its own and they most likely would need to find a buyer to make that possible. It would be tens of billions and who could afford that? Plus even if King is most important I'd wager MS wants all that Activision IP and dev teams working on Xbox and PC games and losing Activision would run contrary to that. The regulators would have to present some considerable reasons to require MS to sell off Activision post acquisition.

reksveks

I read that the problem with divesting Activision from King and Blizzard is viability. Activision would have to be a viable business on its own and they most likely would need to find a buyer to make that possible. It would be tens of billions and who could afford that? Plus even if King is most important I'd wager MS wants all that Activision IP and dev teams working on Xbox and PC games and losing Activision would run contrary to that. The regulators would have to present some considerable reasons to require MS to sell off Activision post acquisition.
Activision imo would be viable; don't think they are massively sharing resources between the companies and its pretty profitable on its own.

I think yeah, MS definitely would like to keep Activision especially as its rolling out COD Warzone 2 and the mobile version but would they divest it to get the deal done, i would hope so.

Activision imo would be viable; don't think they are massively sharing resources between the companies and its pretty profitable on its own.

I think yeah, MS definitely would like to keep Activision especially as its rolling out COD Warzone 2 and the mobile version but would they divest it to get the deal done, i would hope so.
I'd be shocked if CoD with so many support studios assisting in its development wouldn't use any revenue for the other profitable areas of the combined company. The entire company would be a CoD factory.

I totally see MS doing everything in its power to own the entire entity and not split it up into parts. Not sure what argument that could be made to deny them buying the entire company especially if they are willing to make concessions with CoD on PlayStation.

feynoob

Gold Member
This is from last week:

www.spglobal.com

FTC Chair Lina Khan's Big Tech agenda runs short on time

The Federal Trade Commission has filed multiple lawsuits against Big Tech companies and initiated new rulemakings under Chair Lina Khan's leadership, but the actions are unlikely to wrap up before Khan's term expires in 2024, policy experts said.
www.spglobal.com
www.spglobal.com

Summary: Lina Khan (the FTC Chair) has less than 24 months before her term expires. Since the beginning she wanted to implement new antitrust rules and get more aggressive at enforcement, specially against Big Tech.

But in general she has been unable due to the agency's 2-2 party split. That changed recently with the confirmation of Democrat Alvaro Bedoya in May and Republican commissioner Noah Phillips' resignation. Alex Petros, policy counsel for Public Knowledge, a nonprofit public interest group in Washington, believes that now the FTC has the votes to move forward with that agenda.

Petros believes that the FTC will file an antitrust case against Amazon (probably the purchase of iRobot) and that the FTC may also file an antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft for the purchase of Activision Blizzard. 👀

It's just an opinion but it's true that now the FTC has a better position to be more aggressive. And obviously the MS - ABK case is a great target...

I guess we'll find out about this by the end of the month.
By Idas.

FTC finding should be interesting this month.

reksveks

I should pay more attention to the ftc but if the Democrats lose the Senate, could have an impact but its probably not relevant.

Topher

Gold Member
I should pay more attention to the ftc but if the Democrats lose the Senate, could have an impact but its probably not relevant.

Nah, won't make any difference. If we were electing a President with the possibility of new agency leadership then that could mean something, but as it is Lina Khan isn't going anywhere. Microsoft seems to be making all the right moves for the powers that be on the left side of the aisle so I expect little resistance from the current administration.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah, won't make any difference. If we were electing a President with the possibility of new agency leadership then that could mean something, but as it is Lina Khan isn't going anywhere. Microsoft seems to be making all the right moves for the powers that be on the left side of the aisle so I expect little resistance from the current administration.
Delivering Saints And Sinners GIF by Bounce

reksveks

I am trying to figure out when's Rebecca Slaughter term actually ends cause its currently 3-1 on the commission, no?

If its during November 22 and 24 and the Senate flips, it could end up being 2-2.

Topher

Gold Member
I am trying to figure out when's Rebecca Slaughter term actually ends cause its currently 3-1 on the commission, no?

If its during November 22 and 24 and the Senate flips, it could end up being 2-2.

The commissioners are appointed by the President though. The Senate only confirms the nomination. Each commissioner serves a seven year term though and Slaughter was sworn in 2018.

reksveks

The commissioners are appointed by the President though. The Senate only confirms the nomination. Each commissioner serves a seven year term though and Slaughter was sworn in 2018.

I know about the process; the bit that's confusing me is the following:

Noah Joshua Phillips, Rebecca Kelly Slaughter, and Rohit Chopra were sworn in today as FTC Commissioners. President Trump named Phillips, a Republican, to a term that expires September 25, 2023; Slaughter, a Democrat, to a term that expires September 25, 2022; and Chopra, a Democrat, to a term that expires September 25, 2019.

Yeah, the issue is that Senate Republican really dragged their heals over Bedoya. I suspect that any nominee will get through.

Topher

Gold Member
I know about the process; the bit that's confusing me is the following:

Noah Joshua Phillips, Rebecca Kelly Slaughter, and Rohit Chopra were sworn in today as FTC Commissioners. President Trump named Phillips, a Republican, to a term that expires September 25, 2023; Slaughter, a Democrat, to a term that expires September 25, 2022; and Chopra, a Democrat, to a term that expires September 25, 2019.

Yeah, the issue is that Senate Republican really dragged their heals over Bedoya. I suspect that any nominee will get through.

I can't see any scenario where the commissioners are split 2-2 with Biden making nominations. I believe Christine Wilson is the lone Republican and her term expires in 2025.

reksveks

I can't see any scenario where the commissioners are split 2-2 with Biden making nominations. I believe Christine Wilson is the lone Republican and her term expires in 2025.
Presumption is that they will get to Noah Phillips replacement first, do that and then the Republicans will start acting up.

Again its probably not a likely scenario

Topher

Gold Member
Presumption is that they will get to Noah Phillips replacement first, do that and then the Republicans will start acting up.

Again its probably not a likely scenario

Do they need a full table to make decisions or can they continue with three?

That isn't a lie. That is just hyping and exaggerating.
You have to prove that it's a lie, which is difficult to do so.

That is the language Phil is using.
And the language is lying. First he says one thing and when it suits him he says something completly els. That has nothing to do with hyping en exaggerating. Thats clear lying. But you dont want to see it.

feynoob

Gold Member
Found the article. Its very hillarious.

The best highlight.

China wants to take over your Xbox​

Microsoft’s purchase of Activision Blizzard could help its partners in China expand tech power​

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/china-wants-take-over-your-xbox
Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard – the video game company behind titles like "Guitar Hero," "Candy Crush," "World of Warcraft" and "Call of Duty" – in the largest tech acquisitions in history. Antitrust regulators are assessing whether the deal could hurt competition in the booming global video game industry, for numerous reasons including the fact that Microsoft already produces the widely used Xbox gaming console. Further consolidation in the tech industry elicits well deserved skepticism from regulators, but they should also consider how this deal could help America’s greatest geopolitical adversary: China.

To understand how, it’s first important to understand Microsoft’s long and close relationship with the People’s Republic of China and its ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP).

Microsoft has operated in China for three decades, boasting on its website that its "most complete subsidiary and largest R&D center outside the United States is in China." Microsoft Research Asia (MRA) has trained thousands of Chinese AI researchers, including top executives at companies like Huawei, whose products have been deemed such a security risk that the company is sanctioned by the U.S. government and rejected by free nations around the world.

I cant finish the rest. my kidneys needs a rest.

The circus never ends

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member

Activision Blizzard Q3 earnings preview: All eyes on Microsoft deal updates​

https://seekingalpha.com/news/39022...gs-preview-all-eyes-on-microsoft-deal-updates
Needs a login, so here is a recap.
Activision Blizzard (NASDAQ:ATVI) is scheduled to announce Q3 earnings results on Monday, Nov. 7, after market close.
The consensus EPS estimate is $0.50 (-30.6% Y/Y) and the consensus revenue estimate is $1.71B (-9% Y/Y).
Over the last 2 years, ATVI has beaten EPS estimates 63% of the time and revenue estimates 75% of the time.
Over the last 3 months, EPS estimates have seen 6 upward revisions and 16 downward. Revenue estimates have seen 8 upward revisions and 10 downward.
Q2 recap:
  • Shares of the video game maker were flat after its bookings topped expectations in Q2 and operating income saw broad sequential gains.
  • Benchmark noted the solid results and significant H2 game pipeline that should serve as catalysts for growth in Q4 and FY23.
Updates on Microsoft deal:
  • Microsoft (MSFT) reportedly did not offer any remedies in Europe's antitrust review of its planned $69B purchase of Activision (ATVI). The European Commission set a provisional deadline of Nov. 8 to decide on the deal.
  • The U.K.'s antitrust regulator, in its in-depth review of the deal, is looking at whether Microsoft (MSFT) will make Call of Duty an Xbox exclusive. It is conducting phase 2 review of the deal and plans to provide provisional findings in Jan.
  • Microsoft, meanwhile, raised concerns about the influence of Sony (SONY) on U.K. regulators, saying it significantly exaggerated the importance of Call of Duty.
  • Australia's antitrust regulator delayed its decision on the deal, pending receipt of information, but Brazil's antitrust regulator approved the deal without conditions.
  • The U.S. FTC's decision on the deal may reportedly come in later this month.
SA contributor Vera Glebova projected 80% chance of the Microsoft (MSFT) deal being cleared in a recent bullish analysis.
Shares of Activision (ATVI) gained 6.5% YTD, outperforming the S&P 500 and Nasdaq 100 indices by a wide margin.

Mod edit: use the OT please

Microsoft’s $69 billion Activision buyout is facing heightened scrutiny from regulators — and some insiders at the game studio behind “Call of Duty” are worried that the Xbox maker could effectively blow up the deal, The Post has learned.

Antitrust authorities in the US, United Kingdom and European Union are all reviewing the proposed deal, which would see Microsoft buy out Activision for $95 per share.

Activision shares rocketed above $82 when the buyout was announced in January but have since fallen to below $73 as of Thursday, indicating increasing investor skepticism about the deal going through.

Some insiders and analysts have said that Microsoft — which has enjoyed a better relationship with regulators in recent years compared to rivals like Meta and Google — likely did not expect this level of scrutiny from authorities. The increasing pressure has left the companies at odds behind the scenes, sources close to the situation said, even as Activision and Microsoft are publicly putting on brave faces and insisting the deal will go through.

At issue are the promises — or lack thereof — that Microsoft is offering antitrust regulators and gaming rivals like PlayStation maker Sony, which has loudly opposed the deal.

Article is indicating there is internal panic behind the assuring faces of executives on both sides of the deal, and that the easy path to approval will be a lot bumpier than expected, especially since regulators likely don't have much knowledge of the industry involved, and the lack of Microsoft providing any concessions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Main take away:

Activision wants MS to bend over and offer every concession to get the deal done and save their share price while MS is looking to limit concessions as much as possible. This may be causing some tension between the two companies, but MS is not going to go through with the deal if the concessions are too large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom