• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

reinking

Gold Member
Wasn't that long ago that I was saying COD would stay multiplat because Phil Spencer promised over and over again. Now I just don't know. Too many lies have been exposed in all this. I won't be surprised by anything.
Apparently, Phil Spencer lie dispenser went from being a meme to being the truth. I was honestly disappointed. I know he talks in corporate speak and in circles but I never thought he was an outright liar.

Connxtion

Thank you, but there is no source, just someone saying “oh” MS said this, regarding Minecraft Dungeons.

DeepEnigma DeepEnigma
I was wanting a transcript or proof this was stated in court. As we can all say this and that and take stuff out of context.

I think the source material should be linked with stuff being passed as fact. That way no one can dispute it nor take it out of context.

To many threads using tweets as facts (from random folk) without any source material popping up.

Edit: spelling, wording.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thank you, but there is no source, just someone saying “oh” MS said this, regarding Minecraft Dungeons.

DeepEnigma DeepEnigma
I was wanting a transcript or proof this was stated in court. As we can all say this and that and take stuff out of context.

I think the source material should be linked with stuff being passed as facts. That was no one can dispute it nor take it out of context.

To many threads using tweets as facts (from random folks) without any source material popping up.
We listened to it live. The FTC lawyer was repeating what Phil Spencer said in several board meetings. I'm sure there are Twitter posts in here that have it all transcribed.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
To everyone say ms will make cod exclusive in 24/25, you are absolutely mental.

Just like Minecraft, there is ZERO chance they'd leave that kind of change on the table let alone face the backlash.

COD is here to stay and stay multiplatform at that!
They have enough shills on social media to drown out the backlash that it would receive.

Before this trial started, Xbox fans believe it was really on a case-by-case basis, not it's confirmed that Phil Spencer wanted all future Zenimax games to be exclusive.

Do you see Xbox fans calling out Phil and Microsoft? No, they're just using the "Sony did it, too" argument. The fact is, people are going to portray Microsoft as the good guy regardless of what they do.

After the contract is up, they can easily say, "You have to put Game Pass on PlayStation if you want Call of Duty" and if Sony refuses, they'll blame Sony.

So many people fall for their PR BS all the time and it's not going to change anytime soon.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Wasn't that long ago that I was saying COD would stay multiplat because Phil Spencer promised over and over again. Now I just don't know. Too many lies have been exposed in all this. I won't be surprised by anything.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by Law & Order

gothmog

Gold Member
This is the one constant that continues to confuse me. I recently had another discussion with another member here who swears by these subscription services, says he doesn't want to buy games anymore but yet at the same time he claimed to not have much time to play games anyway.

If you're going to say you don't have time to play games then why the fuck do you need access to hundreds (if not thousands if you're subbed up to the hilt across all platforms) of games all at once?

None of this is adding up. I genuinely think I spend less money annually on games than these guys do (by just hand picking what I want to purchase day one and getting the rest on sale) but yet I'd never say this hobby isn't a big deal to me. It's bizarre.
It's just modern day hoarding.

FrankWza

Lost in the battle, Gary, not the war. Eyes on the road
Your problem is you think anyone wins anything here. You're not seeing that this sets a bad precedent. If you read all of the true intentions behind this acquisition that were sent via email you'd be able to finally admit what we all have suspected. If you still think otherwise I really don't know what to tell you.

Topher

Gold Member
Apparently, Phil Spencer lie dispenser went from being a meme to being the truth. I was honestly disappointed. I know he talks in corporate speak and in circles but I never thought he was an outright liar.

I've said before that he seems like a great guy, but this shit is hard to reconcile.

I'm not sticking around long, I just wanted to come in and apologize for my behavior yesterday. There's no valid excuse for it so I'm not even going to pretend there is.

It was immature and unwarranted.

I'm sorry to N Not_A-Cop_Maybe and everyone else who saw my outburst in the thread.

I didn't see it, but cool of you to apologize. Respect.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

source:

Investors are focusing on that language and the possibility that Microsoft could have offered concessions in their comment period or that the final order may be different from the interim order, which may allow some leeway for Microsoft to close the deal, CNBC's David Faber said on Friday, citing people who are scrutinizing the court filings.

"It may point to some difference between the interim and final order and Microsoft's efforts to get it changed, giving it the leeway to perhaps even close the transaction while they still await word from the Competition Appeal Tribunal," Faber said.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They've already done their final report.

They're not changing a thing in the final report. In fact, the judge handed them a gift by saying consoles will be going the way of the Dodo and cloud gaming will be the future. Canada from the top rope as well.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
So CNBC didn't say it? I have no idea who this Twitter person is...

A moron, that's who. I'm not going to mince my words here - outside of his constant communication with two individuals who have rightly been banned from discussion here, every single trade idea he's outlined is akin to picking up pennies infront of a steamroller. He's leading people down the garden path with his tweets. To what end? I honestly don't know.

Also CNBC can say what they want, the final report is already out. Jim Cramer is also part of CNBC for what it's worth, and let me tell you pretty much everything that has ever come out of his mouth is bullshit.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
A moron, that's who. I'm not going to mince my words here - outside of his constant communication with two individuals who have rightly been banned from discussion here, every single trade idea he's outlined is akin to picking up pennies infront of a steamroller. He's leading people down the garden path with his tweets. To what end? I honestly don't know.

It sounds to me like you don't believe him.

Will Smith Reaction GIF

Nydius

Gold Member
Call it some post-hearing ennui, or maybe just some late minute pessimism, but I'm starting to feel like this is going to end up going Microsoft's way and then they're going to find some way to weasel around the UK somehow.

Interestingly, while I'm starting to get more pessimistic and believe the merger will end up happening, the three biggest Xbox dudes on Twitter -- Jez, Colt and KidSmoove -- have all become pessimistic and think the FTC is going to win. Either that or they're purposely managing expectations.

Who knows. Only thing I'm interested in now are the post-hearing final reports that both the FTC and Microsoft/ABK filed today. Hopefully it doesn't take long for them to go public.

GHG

Gold Member
Call it some post-hearing ennui, or maybe just some late minute pessimism, but I'm starting to feel like this is going to end up going Microsoft's way and then they're going to find some way to weasel around the UK somehow.

Interestingly, while I'm starting to get more pessimistic and believe the merger will end up happening, the three biggest Xbox dudes on Twitter -- Jez, Colt and KidSmoove -- have all become pessimistic and think the FTC is going to win. Either that or they're purposely managing expectations.

Who knows. Only thing I'm interested in now are the post-hearing final reports that both the FTC and Microsoft/ABK filed today. Hopefully it doesn't take long for them to go public.

My opinion is that the Xbox influencer circle are only pessimistic because they will be deep in their emoitions at the moment considering what's been revealed over the last couple of weeks. Everything they've ever believed in and parroted has turned out to be bogus and they have been caught in 4k so to speak. That's going to take it's toll and it will cloud their judgement on what's actually taken place over the duration of the hearing.

Objectively the FTC had enough to make a strong case but they fumbled the bag, and that will ultimately be their undoing. It was clear as day that the judge had already made up her mind, and it wasn't in the FTC's favour.

Who Knows Idk GIF

It was on top of my twatter feed when I opened it today.

So your blaming twitter for bringing it here?

I know the mascot is a bird but it isn't a messenger pigeon.

GHG GHG no need to get upset over this but i agree people should check their sources. It's why people like Florian are not allowed here because of the BS they make which ruins the discussion.

Last edited:

Rubim

Oh I bet a permaban on me that COD will be exclusive in some form starting next gen (ps6) and that ES 6 and others major bethesda franchises will not come to playstation 5/6

As long as MS proceeds with the acquisition of course
ES6 is a given.
COD i dont know, but i would not bet against or for it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So the Judge in the FTC case says it's the harm to consumers, not to Sony that matters.
So who's to say allowing Sony to continue in a dominant position isn't harmful to consumers? I mean ask yourself, how much do you think your games would be if MS decided to quit tomorrow instead of fighting on?
It's an interesting proposition. In light of all the info found in this case in the last few weeks, neither big dog is out for consumers, just for themselves. Putting Nintendo aside for a minute, since they seem to target more of a mobile audience and one less focused on cutting edge consoles, Forcing a smaller company (in terms of game sales) to remain smaller, is that in the best interests of gamers?

I'm not saying it is or it isn't, it's an interesting quandary. And who's to say government is in the best position to decide what will happen 10 years from now? Lets check out some scenarios:

Scenario 1: MS is denied acquisition of Activision, decides that it want's to refocus it's energy into software development and who knows what else. They decide not to release a new Xbox in 2027. Just for fun lets say Nintendo only releases a lower power switch 2.
This leaves Sony in a power position over the traditional console market. Revenue sharing from developers goes up to 40% and games are now $99. PS Plus is doubled in price, or dropped completely. PS6 launches for $599.

Scenario 2: MS is allowed acquisition of Activision, continues on the good fight. But it doesn't stop there. They buy square, they buy Sega, they buy UBISoft, EA, and squeeze Sony out little by little. Down the road, games are increased to $119, gamepass is $30, and Series Z is $699.
A robot stands in your house to make sure you never turn off your xbox. (ok maybe not that last point)

Scenario 3. MS is allowed acquisition of Activision and it gives them enough juice to continue, they trade blows back and forth with Sony for the console crown for many years to come. Gamers win as price competition continues.

Of course there is a middle ground and all other kinds of things that could come into play like a legit next gen Nintendo console. But maybe you get a hint at what I am getting at - the FTC doesn't really know what will happen, we don't know what will happen.
We aren't sure what is best for consumers.....how can this judge be?

Last edited:

aries_71

Oh I bet a permaban on me that COD will be exclusive in some form starting next gen (ps6) and that ES 6 and others major bethesda franchises will not come to playstation 5/6

As long as MS proceeds with the acquisition of course
I believe it’s exactly the other way around. If the deal goes through, I envision MS having most of Bethesda titles being multiplat, including franchises such as Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout etc, in addition to keeping COD on PlayStation for the multiple reason everybody already said. Though GAF is console-centric in its views, I believe that MS does really want a foothold in the mobile, and will get distracted from console affairs. BUT if the deal is finally blocked, MS is going to go on damage control mode 100%, and will go the exclusivity route on everything it owns plus some additional smaller IPs they will end up acquiring.

tryDEATH

I've read some say the bolded and it's one of the biggest load of BS I've read about these MS purchases. MS were 100% trying before. But now they've decided that can't compete on a creative level, so they are going with buying the industry.

How can some of you all not see and understand this?
Xbox has always had less dev studio than PS. What is BS is the fact that we got people you now pretending like they didn't shit on Xbox for ages for only releasing Halo, Forza, and Gears, when those were their primary studios.

You guys also want to pretend that PS didn't go out of their way to keep games off Xbox by paying for exclusivity significantly more aswell. Xbox has only with the acquisition of Bethesda/Zenimax overtaken PS on the studio count to the point that it can start matching the output of PS and now every one is whinning and bitching how its unfair that they're buying publishers, because that is how far Xbox was behind PS for so long.

X-Wing

Xbox has always had less dev studio than PS. What is BS is the fact that we got people you now pretending like they didn't shit on Xbox for ages for only releasing Halo, Forza, and Gears, when those were their primary studios.

You guys also want to pretend that PS didn't go out of their way to keep games off Xbox by paying for exclusivity significantly more aswell. Xbox has only with the acquisition of Bethesda/Zenimax overtaken PS on the studio count to the point that it can start matching the output of PS and now every one is whinning and bitching how its unfair that they're buying publishers, because that is how far Xbox was behind PS for so long.

Funny. Microsoft can't match Sony's offers, is that what you are saying?

Doesn't change anything if they end up with too dominant a position within the gaming sector. Talking end results for the consumer here, not who is bigger now.

A dominant player that services many consumers and who could conceivably have the top performing property every year foreclosed on their consumers is decidedly NOT good for the largest amount consumers in the market today

gow3isben

I’m behind on this but is the main hurdle in this the CMA not FTC? Because if judge favors Microsoft which is likely wouldn’t that still be the main issue here?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A dominant player that services many consumers and who could conceivably have the top performing property every year foreclosed on their consumers is decidedly NOT good for the largest amount consumers in the market today

I suppose if you are focused on that one property vs the whole market.

I’m behind on this but is the main hurdle in this the CMA not FTC? Because if judge favors Microsoft which is likely wouldn’t that still be the main issue here?

The P.I would be an instant kill. If that isn't granted then Microsoft has more options to get this through. In theory they could eliminate the CMA but that would have some serious consequences. After that it's getting ABK to follow them through the appeal process which can be very long and difficult.

theclaw135

Banned
They're not changing a thing in the final report. In fact, the judge handed them a gift by saying consoles will be going the way of the Dodo and cloud gaming will be the future. Canada from the top rope as well.

The total, complete and absolute end to piracy is too alluring for companies to give up. Once a major publisher takes the plunge to make a AAA game exclusively available via the cloud, that's all she wrote.
Without access to the data files, any would-be pirates will have to re-implement the programming/routines from scratch.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The total, complete and absolute end to piracy is too alluring for companies to give up. Once a major publisher takes the plunge to make a AAA game exclusively available via the cloud, that's all she wrote.
Oh, that’s a cool added benefit for the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom