• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don't think it really matters when the overall console market is still divided among the big 3.

No one talks about market share in the sense of "60% PS, 40% Xbox" "and also 100% Nintendo in their own sub-genre".

This is getting so ridiculous. The twisting, contortions and distortions to make several silly and disingenuous arguments. Some of these people are so good atthis shit they should go into politics.

It is good to see Nintendo is still #1 in their division. "pie_tears_joy::pie_roffles::pie_grinning_big_eyes::pie_grinning_smiling::pie_grinning_sweat::pie_gsquint:

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
You aint seen nothing yet

Blood will spill, feynoob feynoob will cry and ponies will fly
Oh No Reaction GIF by WWE

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is getting so ridiculous. The twisting, contortions and distortions to make several silly and disingenuous arguments. Some of these people are so good atthis shit they should go into politics.

It is good to see Nintendo is still #1 in their division. "pie_tears_joy::pie_roffles::pie_grinning_big_eyes::pie_grinning_smiling::pie_grinning_sweat::pie_gsquint:
You yourself own both a Switch and Xbox but not a PS, spend 85% of your time on your Xbox compared to 15% Switch (in your own words), and still can’t fathom how they don’t compete for the same mindshare?

feynoob

Gold Member
You yourself own both a Switch and Xbox but not a PS, spend 85% of your time on your Xbox compared to 15% Switch (in your own words), and still can’t fathom how they don’t compete for the same mindshare?
My switch doesn't have cyberpunk or gtav.
Or else, I would have played it a lot.

Do you think MW2 can run on a mobile phone?
I believe CoD Mobile is one of the most lucrative games out. Since Switch isn't part of console gaming perhaps it can fit into mobile right?

Lol switch doesn’t compete for mindshare? Glad you’re the one running these companies you know it all! What stupidity.
The efforts people put into completely remove a major console manufacturer from the industry is sad. Three markets people. PC, console, and mobile. If Switch isn't a console then are we saying it's a mobile phone or PC now?

Banjo64

cumsessed
The efforts people put into completely remove a major console manufacturer from the industry is sad.
People like the ones running Microsoft?

Three markets people. PC, console, and mobile. If Switch isn't a console then are we saying it's a mobile phone or PC now?
Does a £30k family carrier compete with £500k hyper cars? They’re all cars right? They’re all competing for your money.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
jesus some of you take on console loyalty a bit extreme lol

Serious Real Life GIF by Britannia on EPIX

Imran did? Thought his only take was they were eyeing Starfield exclusivity

I'll try to look for it. But I recall reading that. Grubb also said it in one of his many shows so not sure if I'll be able to pin point exactly where.

It will be on FTC to prove this in the court and as many have said, it's a flimsy argument at best.

FTC are very likely stalling for time either hoping MS backs out of the deal like NVidia did, or to throw in some concessions they deem suitable.

Last edited:
I believe CoD Mobile is one of the most lucrative games out. Since Switch isn't part of console gaming perhaps it can fit into mobile right?

The efforts people put into completely remove a major console manufacturer from the industry is sad. Three markets people. PC, console, and mobile. If Switch isn't a console then are we saying it's a mobile phone or PC now?

I was going to place you into one of our more intensive training camps after the war but I honestly don't see any hope with you

Shame too. Could have made use of those mental gymnastic skills.

feynoob

Gold Member
MS has until dec 22 to respond.
You are notified that the opportunity is afforded you to file with the Commission an answer to this complaint on or before the fourteenth (14th) day after service of it upon you. An answer in which the allegations of the complaint are contested shall contain a concise statement of the facts constituting each ground of defense; and specific admission, denial, or explanation of each fact alleged in the complaint or, if you are without knowledge thereof, a statement to that effect. Allegations of the complaint not thus answered shall be deemed to have been admitted.
The Administrative Law Judge shall hold a prehearing scheduling conference not later than ten (10) days after the Respondents file their answers. Unless otherwise directed by the Administrative Law Judge, the scheduling conference and further proceedings will take place at the Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Room 532, Washington, D.C. 20580. Rule 3.21(a) requires a meeting of the parties' counsel as early as practicable before the pre-hearing scheduling conference (but in any event no later than five (5) days after the Respondents file their answers). Rule 3.31(b) obligates counsel for each party, within five (5) days of receiving the Respondents' answers, to make certain initial disclosures without awaiting a discovery request.
Failure to file an answer within the time above provided shall be deemed to constitute a waiver of your right to appear and to contest the allegations of the complaint and shall authorize the Commission, without further notice to you, to find the facts to be as alleged in the complaint and to enter a final decision containing appropriate findings and conclusions, and a final order disposing of the proceeding.

Pelta88

Grain of salt.

You are scraping the bottom of the barrel here. That guy does not play games. Check his PSN and XBL profiles.

He's know for screaming on a podcast and trying to finesse podcasters out of their youtube addsense and youtuber superchat money. But he does not actually game. So lets refrain from posting imposters.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You are scraping the bottom of the barrel here. That guy does not play games. Check his PSN and XBL profiles.

He's know for screaming on a podcast and trying to finesse podcasters out of their youtube addsense and youtuber superchat money. But he does not actually game. So lets refrain from posting imposters.
He’s citing the New York Times?

Three

conor-mcgregor-who-the-fuck-is-that-guy.gif

Guy has 1.2k subscribers and all he seems to do on twitter is post other sources. Tweets like this really don't help his reputation either.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Guy has 1.2k subscribers and all he seems to do on twitter is post other sources. Tweets like this really don't help his reputation either.

There was a time where he was claiming to be an insider. His source: Github. He's just trying to take another hard working podcasters money.

Imagine taking money from a gaming podcast but you yourself don't actually game?

Its hard to go by PSN and XBL profiles as many people I know, including myself, have different accounts

He has been caught lying on podcasts about playing games and then gets caught out live on air. After admitting he's only ever had one PSN/XBL since they were first introduced. Dude is a "Phil Spencer Said" sycophant... Not a gamer or a person interested in this deal. When it comes to gaming fraudsters, he is pretty much the definition.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Whoa imagine if the CMA, EC and China turn around and are like “You know what, fuck this American company they are not one of ours, fuck that, deal blocked”

Oh this only works when it’s a crying eagle heh?

feynoob

Gold Member

"Grain of salt"

feynoob

Gold Member
We have 14 days to see MS response to FTC argument.
That means dec 22 is their last day.
We will have feast digesting their points.

feynoob

Gold Member
MS pre-PR document before the FTC block. (5 pages long)
Consider the console market. Sony’s PlayStation has an installed base that is two times as big as
Microsoft’s Xbox worldwide and 50 percent larger in the United States.
10 While recent Xbox sales have
at times been close to par with PlayStation, PlayStation’s share of the latest generation of consoles is
expected to be more similar to its share of the installed base once chip shortages ease. Both Xbox and
PlayStation (and indeed Nintendo’s Switch as well) rely on their own vertically integrated content as well
as content written by independent developers. Owned content can be written to run on multiple
platforms, like Microsoft’s Minecraft, or can be exclusive, like Sony’s God of War Ragnarök, which is
exclusive to PlayStation. A platform sometimes compensates independent developers to make a game
exclusive on their platform and withhold it from competitors. For example, the current version of Square
Enix’s Final Fantasy VII Remake is available on PlayStation and Windows PC, but not on Microsoft’s Xbox.
A platform’s exclusive content attracts users to the platform and investing in exclusive content is part of
the way in which Sony and Microsoft have been competing for years. Sony’s large collection of exclusive
content and roughly two thirds of the installed base of the two platforms is evidence of Sony’s
effectiveness at using this strategy.
So far, the strategy of investing in exclusive games has not led to tipping in the
console market as, despite its smaller share, Microsoft has been able to attract users and content to
Xbox and put competitive pressure on Sony’s PlayStation. And Sony has continued to invest in additional
exclusive content for PlayStation in recent times, without review by regulators. Clearly, if the dominant
platform’s acquisition of content does not raise competitive concerns, the smaller platform’s acquisition
of content does not either. Indeed, to the extent a regulator wants to promote competitive balance.

Microsoft’s popular products like Windows are hard to link to gaming in a way that generates a theory
of harm. Cloud gaming is a nascent technology that does not yet have a compelling use case. The quality
of general purpose devices like mobile handsets is growing so fast that many complicated games can be
played locally on the device and do not need extra computational power from the cloud. Latency – how
long it takes for the instruction to shoot my opponent to get from my finger, to the server, into the
game, and back to my screen – can be significant and degrade the quality of fast-paced games run in the
cloud. No one likes their character to be killed immediately every time they enter the game.
Furthermore, running cloud servers is expensive (electricity and carbon), so unless cloud gaming
provides a significant competitive advantage, providers will not build a business model around it.
Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Tencent, IBM, Sony and others have assets they could use to potentially
enter and compete to provide cloud services in gaming if the right use case arose.
Microsoft is a large company by revenue and market capitalization, and this acquisition, at almost $70
billion, is certainly big. But corporate size is not what determines the nature of competition that affects
consumers, nor the nature or existence of any harm caused by a particular merger. Rather, it is
necessary to analyze competition in a specific setting -- which might be a conventional existing market
with known competitors like the console market. But alternatively, the setting could be an existing
market with a nascent entrant preparing to create competition for incumbents; or the setting could be a
future market, but one where we can see competitors developing products today. Many manifestations
of competition are possible. But regardless of the size of the corporations involved, we can use
economic tools to analyze competition and determine whether a merger is likely to harm consumers
and competition. It is important to distinguish between size and harm, lest our efforts to address the
very real concerns posed by digital platforms are misplaced and wasted.

Last edited:
People like the ones running Microsoft?
Microsoft is arguing the Switch isn't a console? When? Again if Switch isn't in the console space would you classify it as a PC or mobile phone then?
Does a £30k family carrier compete with £500k hyper cars? They’re all cars right? They’re all competing for your money.
A car doesn't stop being a car just because there are other cars that are faster. Let's not be silly. The Switch and XSS are both targeting casual gamers. No reasonably minded person would actually classify the XSS a 'high performance device' but that is what the FTC would have you believe.

All manufacturers offer features on their products to encourage people to purchase. Those features don't fundamentally change what the products are.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Grain of salt.

As I've said over and over the regulators want divestiture as a remedy. It's in their guidelines Microsoft is just arrogant and feels like the guidelines don't apply to them. It's typical.

The only thing you need to know about how Microsoft works is when they were told this was going to phase 2 in the CMA their answer was effectively that they didn't have a chance to explain it to them through multiple teaching sessions. Nobody else gets that but they somehow expect it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
He has been caught lying on podcasts about playing games and then gets caught out live on air. After admitting he's only ever had one PSN/XBL since they were first introduced. Dude is a "Phil Spencer Said" sycophant... Not a gamer or a person interested in this deal. When it comes to gaming fraudsters, he is pretty much the definition.
I didn't know that other stuff.

I just hope people seeing my "public" gamerscores and PSN trophies don't think I am not a gamer ;)

Banjo64

cumsessed
Microsoft is arguing the Switch isn't a console? When? Again if Switch isn't in the console space would you classify it as a PC or mobile phone then?

A car doesn't stop being a car just because there are other cars that are faster. Let's not be silly. The Switch and XSS are both targeting casual gamers. No reasonably minded person would actually classify the XSS a 'high performance device' but that is what the FTC would have you believe.

All manufacturers offer features on their products to encourage people to purchase. Those features don't fundamentally change what the products are.
Why is Microsoft advertising it as ‘simply next gen’ if they don’t associate it with high performance devices?

Menzies

Banned
We’ve all been played. We were so focused on the threat of the Microsoft monopoly, that we inadvertently created the Nintendo monopoly free. Well done Nintendo. I expect break-up divestment talks any day now.

Little did I know that when I chose to sit on my couch and play a videogame on my TV, that I was making a subconscious choice. I have been choosing between non-serious /shit-performance game of the year Witcher 3 on Switch or serious gold-star performance Pentiment on Series X.

//DEVIL//

While I do agree with you, the Nintendo is kinda indeed in its own bubble. Not to say they are not competing for your money, but its very rare to see someone has a Switch only and no PC/PS5/PS4/Xbox Series/One.

You must be a super die hard fan nintendo only and hate every other sort of fun adult games outside bayonetta lol.

We’ve all been played. We were so focused on the threat of the Microsoft monopoly, that we inadvertently created the Nintendo monopoly free. Well done Nintendo. I expect break-up divestment talks any day now.

Little did I know that when I chose to sit on my couch and play a videogame on my TV, that I was making a subconscious choice. I have been choosing between non-serious /shit-performance game of the year Witcher 3 on Switch or serious gold-star performance Pentiment on Series X.

Ah yes, the reliable stratagem of incoherent rambling. Well played sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom