• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaintTinJr

you said playstation marketed COD for 2 decades explain that first and what you meant by it? then I will come to your other points.

"PlayStation have marketed CoD for two decades and help make it what it is, including the 3years extra they'll have to promote it, this is an attack on their normal business operation and their emploees' livelihoods IMHO."

that is exactly what YOU said
And I have already explained, to others. Just like PlayStation has marketing Fifa for years without a deal. The give free prominence to IPs that make them bundles of cash, and with the +100m console selling machine that PlayStation has been over 2 decades with CoD making them huge money per year, why are you questioning that they have marketed it without a deal? PSN has keep spots that entice sales, and CoD, Fifa, etc always get prominence.

Last edited:
gamepass isn't just streaming but neither is the other model. it's not like steam, EGS, etc don't exist for the streaming service. You buy the game on Steam or EGS and stream it on GFN. That's how the GFN model works.
Meaning you can both own indefinitely and stream your games.

The entire point was that it was on more platforms and you brought up streaming as a way it opens it up to more devices or more countries but it factually doesn't. downloading and streaming was available before with no incentive to remove it. The reason it isn't available anymore was because after 3-4 years MS removed it from the service to have it exclusive to their subscription service.
None of what you said invalidates my point that the 'loss' of a game on PlayStation is made up by the additional devices Game pass offers through streaming. GeForce Now is not really a superior alternative.

As we've already gone over GeForce Now loses titles all the time and it's hardly MS's fault that happens. So Game pass factually does offer more ways to play unless you can provide evidence that games like CoD or Diablo were streaming in more places before but because of MS, in the future they are no longer available. There are many cases of games that were not streaming at all before but because of Game pass, streaming is now an option.

Exactly when a platform holder controls where it goes it goes to less platforms not more but I'm not sure why we are pretending it opens it up to more platforms or more countries, it doesn't.
If those titles weren't guaranteed to stay on the platform it doesn't matter if there were other streaming alternatives. If those titles weren't streaming at all but now are because of Game pass they absolutely are available in more places. Hypothetically 'losing' PlayStation does not necessarily mean the game won't be available in more alternative places. PlayStation is hardly the most widely available device to play games on.

Three

This wasn’t cloud streaming.
Um what? What is it then? What do you consider GFN to be?

It's cloud streaming, nvidia even call it cloud. You seem to think that it's streaming from your device or something? It isn't, it's on nvidia servers which link your Steam and EGS accounts and you can stream your games from the cloud.

MS is actively developing and realising games like Minecraft and spin-offs on all platforms, no other platform holder is doing anything similar. Psychonauts 2, hit playstation as well. MS kept deals re.
Yes and Sony would do the same with GaaS Bungie games. So what?
Deathloop and ghost wire, deathloop even hit gamepass competitor by Sony.
Yes because they had deals prior to the acquisition.

Sony doesn’t need to buy publishers and devs to remove games from competition, they do timed and not only timed deals to make sure that a game will not be released on competing platform.
So do MS though.

Last edited:

Three

None of what you said invalidates my point that the 'loss' of a game on PlayStation is made up by the additional devices Game pass offers through streaming. GeForce Now is not really a superior alternative.
It does because you were suggesting those additional devices did not exist via streaming prior, when they did on GFN.
As we've already gone over GeForce Now loses titles all the time and it's hardly MS's fault that happens. So Game pass factually does offer more ways to play unless you can provide evidence that games like CoD or Diablo were streaming in more places before but because of MS, in the future they are no longer available. There are many cases of games that were not streaming at all before but because of Game pass, streaming is now an option.

If those titles weren't guaranteed to stay on the platform it doesn't matter if there were other streaming alternatives. If those titles weren't streaming at all but now are because of Game pass they absolutely are available in more places. Hypothetically 'losing' PlayStation does not necessarily mean the game won't be available in more alternative places. PlayStation is hardly the most widely available device to play games on.
It's the fault of competing subscriptions and in the case of the mentioned Hellblade it absolutely is MS fault it was removed. They had it removed. It wasn't like GFN just decided to remove it arbitrarily because "that's what happens on GFN" or something.

Last edited:

onesvenus

Ozriel

M$FT
It does because you were suggesting those additional devices did not exist via streaming prior, when they did on GFN.

It's the fault of competing subscriptions and in the case of the mentioned Hellblade it absolutely is MS fault it was removed. They had it removed. It wasn't like GFN just decided to remove it arbitrarily because "that's what happens on GFN" or something.

Did Phil Spencer claim he was bringing Hellblade sequels to more platforms when he announced the Ninja Theory acquisition?

You going back and forth for three pages over 2017’s Hellblade just makes it look like you’re clearly unable to make a similar case for Activision and Bethesda post acquisition.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
xbox-activision.jpeg

CEO of Microsoft Gaming Phil Spencer has revealed that one of the software giant’s primary reasons for acquiring Activision Blizzard King is for the company to get into mobile gaming.

Speaking during an interview on the Microsoft TechTalk show, Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer stated that the company’s main attraction for acquiring Activision Blizzard King is its mobile division.

According to Phil, Microsoft is aware that the company’s DNA is not in mobile, and it does not have a successful mobile platform today. As a company, the software giant comes from PC, and in the gaming space, it comes from PC and console. Yet, most of the players across the globe today play on their phones.

Phil said that when Microsoft looked at ABK, a vast majority of the people who play games from Activision Blizzard King are playing mobile versions of their games. This includes games King games like Candy Crush that many play on their phones. In addition, Phil pointed out that Acitivision Blizzard King has done a good job in building mobile versions of some of their classic core games. He highlighted mobile Call of Duty as crossing $1 Billion dollars in lifetime revenue. He also mentioned that Blizzard recently launched a mobile version of Diablo, which is one of their main franchises.

freefornow

Fairly sure this was part of the original statement that MSFT made when acquisition announced.
https://news.microsoft.com/2022/01/...ion Blizzard,revenue, behind Tencent and Sony.
Mobile is the largest segment in gaming, with nearly 95% of all players globally enjoying games on mobile. Through great teams and great technology, Microsoft and Activision Blizzard will empower players to enjoy the most-immersive franchises, like “Halo” and “Warcraft,” virtually anywhere they want. And with games like “Candy Crush,” Activision Blizzard´s mobile business represents a significant presence and opportunity for Microsoft in this fast-growing segment.

Godot25

Banned
And you believe the things that Spencer says? Realy?
When you look at the history what Spencer have been saying and flipfloped it a short time later, is an indication that you can NEVER trust what Phil Spencer is saying. When the deal goes trough you can wait for it that Phil will be saying something completly different, just wait for it.
Does it even matter if you believe him?
He gave Sony written guarantee to have COD on PS until 2028 minimum. It literally does not matter what Spencer says publicly.

People just usually don't use their brain when people talk. Even around Bethesda when Spencer gave non-binding and "confusing" answers. Like no shit sherlock. You can't talk about strategy with company that you don't own. And regardless of that people twisted his words. But after deal was closed he was pretty much straight forward - Bethesda was bought for exclusive content with some caveats (existing contracts, support for existing games etc.)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Remember everyone! The number one rule is that publishers and developers all partner with Sony because they are the like super best and they don't have to pay any money to get marketing deals. It's only other platforms like XBOX, PC and Nintendo that have to pay because no one wants to be with them, only Sony.

I don't get how this way of thinking can exist but its one I've seen for nearly 20 years.

Three

Did Phil Spencer claim he was bringing Hellblade sequels to more platforms when he announced the Ninja Theory acquisition?

You going back and forth for three pages over 2017’s Hellblade just makes it look like you’re clearly unable to make a similar case for Activision and Bethesda post acquisition.
No but people are claiming that established ips aren't being taken away from platforms but actually appearing on more. What's this got to do with what Phil has said? It's the people here saying things. I made a similar case for Bethesda and elder scrolls and people made even more excuses.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I stick "MSFT marketing spend" in bing and it returns:

22 billion U.S. dollars

Jul 28, 2022 In the fiscal year 2022, Microsoft Corporation spent 22 billion U.S. dollars on sales and marketing, the company’s highest annual expenditure to date. In the past decade, Microsoft has slowly increased sales and marketing spending, with the annual figure rising by more than six billion U.S. dollars during that time.

Microsoft annual sales & marketing spending 2022 | Statista

and on a first time following the link it lets you see a graph showing it grow for the last 20years - from a billion IIRC.

Last edited:
Game pass streaming absolutely added devices and therefore added access. Diablo currently isn't streaming anywhere it is not currently owned by MS. After the acquisition it absolutely will be. And will be available on more devices than what PlayStation currently offers. PlayStation consoles do not outnumber cell phones and tablets. GeForce Now doesn't have the ability to keep the titles available on their service so it isn't a real alternative to the titles you claim MS is taking away.
The article I linked showed Take 2 and Warner Brothers games leaving GeForce Now. That has nothing to do with Microsoft. GeForce Now is simply not the alternative to Game pass you are making it out to be especially since MS would control the main draws to the service. Stability of a game on a service is just as important as general access.

No but people are claiming that established ips aren't being taken away from platforms but actually appearing on more. What's this got to do with what Phil has said? It's the people here saying things.
People here talk about PlayStation losing established titles but laughed at Xbox gamers who missed out on Street Fighter 5 and the new Final Fantasy games. Not every game hits every platform even if a previous title did. Octopath Traveler 2 also says hi. This is hardly a PlayStation exclusive issue. Business is business I suppose.

onesvenus

Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but all high profile games get preferential treatment on PSN even without a special deal AFAIK.
Doesn't that happen in all and every platform though?
FIFA has been bundled with PlayStation for a long time in Europe. I think that's proof of some marketing deal existing

PaintTinJr

I don't understand what's happening, you're now raising points on what a business pays in advertising? Why does that matter to you?
Well you were making the point about PlayStation buying up timed exclusives, and what are timed exclusives if not just another form of marketing - it costs you money in the hope of increasing sales -, no?

Three

Game pass streaming absolutely added devices and therefore added access. Diablo currently isn't streaming anywhere it is not currently owned by MS. After the acquisition it absolutely will be. And will be available on more devices than what PlayStation currently offers. PlayStation consoles do not outnumber cell phones and tablets. GeForce Now doesn't have the ability to keep the titles available on their service so it isn't a real alternative to the titles you claim MS is taking away.
It didn't because they removed it from the more widely available GFN and PS. Activison removed their games from free streaming services before the acquisition too. It didn't add more devices. Hellblade did not add more devices. Dito for Bethesda, removed its games.

The article I linked showed Take 2 and Warner Brothers games leaving GeForce Now. That has nothing to do with Microsoft. GeForce Now is simply not the alternative to Game pass you are making it out to be especially since MS would control the main draws to the service. Stability of a game on a service is just as important as general access.
Because Take 2 made deals with Stadia. Warner bros made deals with PS Now and Gamepass. Activision and Bethesda removed it and made deals with MS. MS removed their games (hellblade and co) in favour of xCloud. The subscription wars have begun but this vertical merger is in no way providing you more choice or more platforms. You have exchanged buying games and being able to independently choose who your streaming provider is for companies fighting for exclusives and removing it from other device and streaming platforms. It's less platforms not more.
People here talk about PlayStation losing established titles but laughed at Xbox gamers who missed out on Street Fighter 5 and the new Final Fantasy games. Not every game hits every platform even if a previous title did. Octopath Traveler 2 also says hi. This is hardly a PlayStation exclusive issue. Business is business I suppose.
Who was laughing? If some idiot said Street fighter was coming to more platforms now and is actually Sony being great though I would have laughed my ass off. Same with dead rising and other games on xbox.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Doesn't that happen in all and every platform though?
FIFA has been bundled with PlayStation for a long time in Europe. I think that's proof of some marketing deal existing
Exactly, and my point about PlayStation could be transposed to any platform - like the Wii - that sold the games from the IP. PlayStation having been the market leader for at least 3 of 4 gens with +100m selling consoles could easily argue it has done most for CoD, would you not agree? - which was my original point from the beginning, they are losing something they've massively contributed to its success in this deal.

onesvenus

Exactly, and my point about PlayStation could be transposed to any platform - like the Wii - that sold the games from the IP. PlayStation having been the market leader for at least 3 of 4 gens with +100m selling consoles could easily argue it has done most for CoD, would you not agree? - which was my original point from the beginning, they are losing something they've massively contributed to its success in this deal.
I don't have data on the platform split for CoD so I don't know if PS sales are bigger than everything else combined.

Having said that, I think it's weird the way you frame it. I'd say that CoD success can't be attributed to PlayStation just by virtue of it being in almost all platforms. On the other hand, PlayStation success can be attributed to the high profile games they have always tried to associate with.

Even if what you said were true, that's not an argument to be against this deal, even more so when Microsoft has been on record multiple times saying CoD will continue being there

phil_t98

#SonyToo
And I have already explained, to others. Just like PlayStation has marketing Fifa for years without a deal. The give free prominence to IPs that make them bundles of cash, and with the +100m console selling machine that PlayStation has been over 2 decades with CoD making them huge money per year, why are you questioning that they have marketed it without a deal? PSN has keep spots that entice sales, and CoD, Fifa, etc always get prominence.

hang on you changing the narrative, you said Sony had a marketing deal for 2 decades for Call of duty. now you say they did the marketing for cod for free now as no deal was in place?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I stick "MSFT marketing spend" in bing and it returns:

and on a first time following the link it lets you see a graph showing it grow for the last 20years - from a billion IIRC.

that's Microsoft as a company not xbox, care to share what Sony spend on marketing?

and why are you bothered what Microsoft spends as a company on advertising?

Last edited:

oldergamer

I didn't. it's as if that was available before too! Until MS pulled it from other competing streaming platforms that is:

This "but you can stream now, more platforms" is a convenient excuse.

Or the deal that they had for it being on geforce now was over

PaintTinJr

that's Microsoft as a company not xbox, care to share what Sony spend on marketing?

and why are you bothered what Microsoft spends as a company on advertising?
This deal isn't xbox buying ACTIVI for $70b - nor was Bethesda for $7b or Mojang for $3b - this is an MSFT acquisition, so when people claim the market has nothing to worry about from the deal, you have to consider whether they could and should have just competed for timed exclusions, which their marketing spend shows they would laugh at the tiny numbers needed - even to get games on gamepass - and then you have to ask how would current player in gaming compete, even if they used just 20% of the MSFT marketing budget for Xcloud/Gamepass and xbox to drive users to CoD on their platform. It would be no contest once they own the IP and could win any marketing battle.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This deal isn't xbox buying ACTIVI for $70b - nor was Bethesda for $7b or Mojang for $3b - this is an MSFT acquisition, so when people claim the market has nothing to worry about from the deal, you have to consider whether they could and should have just competed for timed exclusions, which their marketing spend shows they would laugh at the tiny numbers needed - even to get games on gamepass - and then you have to ask how would current player in gaming compete, even if they used just 20% of the MSFT marketing budget for Xcloud/Gamepass and xbox to drive users to CoD on their platform. It would be no contest once they own the IP and could win any marketing battle.

Why bud for times exclusives when you can have full exclusive?

No third party game is ever gaurnteed to come out on all consoles so why not make sure the game is always on your own console?

Don’t forget Sony got where they are by buying studios and paying to keep content off other consoles.

PaintTinJr

I don't have data on the platform split for CoD so I don't know if PS sales are bigger than everything else combined.

Would you need them? when PS2 was one of those platforms with multiple CoDs released and it outsold Xbox OG 7:1 IIRC with 140m vs 20m, and nothing the 360 did even looks like it had more copies sold than PS3 other than the first 360 version before 10m console sales, so for CoD(SP and MP) it won't even be close IMO.

Ozriel

M$FT

Even if they win marketing battles and they drive users to play COD on Xbox, why does that dismay you so deeply, especially if the IP is also available on all other console platforms? Isn’t that precisely what Sony’s doing right now with their COD marketing deal? Would you claim that’s anti-competitive too?

And yes, Microsoft plans to continue pushing Gamepass and adding more and more value to drive customers to the service. None of that provides an obstacle to a very successful PlayStation.

I struggle to identify your point, tbh. It really does seem like you’re upset at the potential for Xbox to be more competitive this generation.

Last edited:

Three

Or the deal that they had for it being on geforce now was over
Not this again. We are going round in circles. There wasn't "a deal" in that sense. Geforce now wasn't selling the game. It was providing a complementary service that increased install base for publishers by letting subscribers use a cloud server and play games they already owned. It's like renting a PC to install software you bought elsewhere.

It provided it (like xcloud beta currently) for years until multigame subscription services like Gamepass, Stadia and now PS+ Premium etc started to take off. That's when publishers now wanted to start to control what subscription based streaming services they were on. When Google, MS and co started paying big bucks for exclusive cloud content and it was as lucrative as game sales. If you still believe the idea of it being available on GFN without a deal is ridiculous read this article

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-long-dark-removed-from-geforce-now-because-nvi/1100-6474295/

It even mentions a misunderstanding and working with ABK to reenable them too.

"While unfortunate, we hope to work together with Activision Blizzard to reenable these games and more in the future."

That is very unlikely to happen now I bet. There was no timed deal. They just had an option to opt out. GFN before just added any game that was available at launch on Steam or EGS but that doesn't happen nowadays unfortunately. Licencing, publishers and platform holders trying to control their content to offer exclusivity deals to platform holders stopped that.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Even if they win marketing battles and they drive users to play COD on Xbox, why does that dismay you so deeply, especially if the IP is also available on all other console platforms? are your long epistles driven by a fear of the xbox platform becoming more attractive?

And yes, Microsoft plans to continue pushing Gamepass and adding more and more value to drive customers to the service. None of that provides an obstacle to a very successful PlayStation.

I struggle to identify your point, tbh.
It is because it is the start of the extinguish phase by MSFT, where they are directly attacking a competitor's finances with nothing more than money. No talented coup with amazing games, no coup with amazing revolutionary hardware or accessories, just a straight anti-competitive monetary slugging match put down, using $70b plus marketing spend to take away - I think someone said it was - $1.6b/yr from PlayStation.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It is because it is the start of the extinguish phase by MSFT, where they are directly attacking a competitor's finances with nothing more than money.

‘Embrace, extend, extinguish’ was nearly 30 years ago. Give these conspiracy theories a rest.

When Sony or MS sign exclusive deals for timed exclusivity, you think they pay with bananas?

Only on GAF would the party at a massive sales, install base and brand perception disadvantage be accused of ‘extinguishing’ the dominant party. Makes as much sense as accusing Google of trying to extinguish Windows with ChromeOS.

No talented coup with amazing games, no coup with amazing revolutionary hardware or accessories, just a straight anti-competitive monetary slugging match put down, using $70b plus marketing spend to take away - I think someone said it was - $1.6b/yr from PlayStation.

They’ve already pledged not to take away Call of Duty from PLayStation for at least the entirety of this generation. Not to mention the fact that removing it off PlayStation could severely harm the IP, especially in the face of increased competition from other live service shooters. You need to stop this misinformation.

Speaking of misinformation, you keep parroting that $70bn figure in relation to the console space, but that makes no sense. Nearly a third of ABK’s value comes from King, exclusively on mobile games with no overlap in the console space. Another healthy chunk comes from the value of WoW that’s never been a console title.

onesvenus

It is because it is the start of the extinguish phase by MSFT, where they are directly attacking a competitor's finances with nothing more than money. No talented coup with amazing games, no coup with amazing revolutionary hardware or accessories, just a straight anti-competitive monetary slugging match put down, using $70b plus marketing spend to take away - I think someone said it was - $1.6b/yr from PlayStation.
Just to avoid framing you as someone with an unbelievable hate for Microsoft.
Can you provide a recent example of them using the extinguish tactic?
And you know the same thing could be said about PlayStation when they entered the market, don't you?

oldergamer

Not this again. We are going round in circles. There wasn't "a deal" in that sense. Geforce now wasn't selling the game. It was providing a complementary service that increased install base for publishers by letting subscribers use a cloud server and play games they already owned. It's like renting a PC to install software you bought elsewhere.

It provided it (like xcloud beta currently) for years until multigame subscription services like Gamepass, Stadia and now PS+ Premium etc started to take off. That's when publishers now wanted to start to control what subscription based streaming services they were on. When Google, MS and co started paying big bucks for exclusive cloud content and it was as lucrative as game sales. If you still believe the idea of it being available on GFN without a deal is ridiculous read this article

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-long-dark-removed-from-geforce-now-because-nvi/1100-6474295/

It even mentions a misunderstanding and working with ABK to reenable them too.

"While unfortunate, we hope to work together with Activision Blizzard to reenable these games and more in the future."

That is very unlikely to happen now I bet. There was no timed deal. They just had an option to opt out. GFN before just added any game that was available at launch on Steam or EGS but that doesn't happen nowadays unfortunately. Licencing, publishers and platform holders trying to control their content to offer exclusivity deals to platform holders stopped that.
You dont have a damn clue what goes on behind the scenes. Im going to go out on a limb here any say there was a contractual obligation just like other games on geforce now. Not even close. Do you think the game was on there for free? Seriously keep shitting up this thread with your armchair dealings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom