• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

We told people that UK boxed game sales are the real deal and they laughed at us.

Season 9 Andy GIF by The Office

Pelta88

That Jez article deserves it's own thread.

It's rightfully being mocked across the gaming web and being used as an example as to why Windowscentral should be a banned source. Dude is panicking and lashing out... In advocacy of how a conglomerate should spend their billions. I think that article is a teachable moment in and of itself.

Jez has had zero credibility for a while now. Today, I think that notion hit the gaming mainstream. I encourage everyone to read this article.

Someone remind Jez about the GTA IV and COD exclusive DLC on the 360.
He talked about Xbox being aggressive in the 360 era.

Which, was/is the name of the game. And you could say the 360 era was the most competitive Xbox has been.

What happened? Suddenly MS saw poor Sony struggling to be competitive and said:

"Look guys, we clearly can destroy Sony at will, and because we are such a good, benevolent friendly competitor, let's make all these mistakes on purpose, also let's not make third party deals because Sony needs them more that us"

Yeah. Thanks, MS.

solidus12

Which, was/is the name of the game. And you could say the 360 era was the most competitive Xbox has been.

"Look guys, we clearly can destroy Sony at will, and because we are such a good, benevolent friendly competitor, let's make all these mistakes on purpose, also let's not make third party deals because Sony needs them more that us"

Yeah. Thanks, MS.
Thank you, MS for allowing Sony to build/acquire a suite of industry leading developers.

Last edited:

skit_data

It's rightfully being mocked across the gaming web and being used as an example as to why Windowscentral should be a banned source. Dude is panicking and lashing out... In advocacy of how a conglomerate should spend their billions. I think that article is a teachable moment in and of itself.

Jez has had zero credibility for a while now. Today, I think that notion hit the gaming mainstream. I encourage everyone to read this article.

Reminds me of some super-religious people that threatens non-believers with gods wrath unless you do his bidding

Sorry. That is only reserved for Angry Joe. If you know what I am saying.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Yeah. Thanks, MS.

I mean those were the glory days of xbox with Peetaaah Moore at the helm. The days of the Million sales club (something like for the first 12 months of its life, they'd have a new game come up every month and reach 1 million sales). The momentum was unstoppable - well, er except that it did stop because turns out the 360 had a deadly hardware fault that meant every single one of these units would eventually die.

Sadly every generation of xbox has self-sabotaged itself in some way.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Sorry. That is only reserved for Angry Joe. If you know what I am saying.

You'll have to DM because I don't :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Reminds me of some super-religious people that threatens non-believers with gods wrath unless you do his bidding

Last article of his that I read was his fury at TGA, because Forza released after cut off date.

Jez and Colt are one and the same. Colt's primary tool, twitter, is his own worse enemy due to the fact that it's primary function is to keep receipts. Which exposes how his field of view changes in accordance with each new Phil Spencer interview.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These xbox fan journalists have lost the plot. Who really gives a fuck if it doesn't go through. It might be better, sure there's probs no chance of Activision bringing back major franchises where MS May have but still, I can't believe people are so invested. MS has loads of studios, just put some effing games out and go grab some serious third party exclusives.

I could see MS just thinking fuck it and going out for big third party exclusives, that's fine. Do it, its open season now but also nurture your studios and get them releasing big games in-between.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
These xbox fan journalists have lost the plot. Who really gives a fuck if it doesn't go through. It might be better, sure there's probs no chance of Activision bringing back major franchises where MS May have but still, I can't believe people are so invested. MS has loads of studios, just put some effing games out and go grab some serious third party exclusives.

I could see MS just thinking fuck it and going out for big third party exclusives, that's fine. Do it, its open season now but also nurture your studios and get them releasing big games in-between.
MS themselves have major franchises that they have yet to ever bring back.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All of these companies do, they are all sat on a ton of legendary and/or promising IP that could really stretch their legs on modern hardware but instead of focusing on what they already have they are out there clowning about with acquisitions.
I just don't see this acquisition as a higher chance they will resurrect IPs, rather than sticking to the status quo and investing more into mobile to offset the revenue lost by day 1 on GP for what were top 3rd party franchises prior.

Last edited:
This can’t be right, as the CMA is just the tiny UK posturing and flexing so it looks like it’s doing something. Big brains told me that companies like MS and presumably META can just threaten to cease operations in the UK instead. And everyone knows that the CMA don’t really understand anything anyway, this was probably Jim Ryan’s doing as he doesn’t want Giphy competing with Crunchy Roll. I’ve just remortgaged my house and put everything in to ABK stock. It’s a surer thing than my missus after she’s had a drink or 2.

META about to turn the UK into a third world country bro. Just you wait

Last edited:

Menzies

Banned

It's kind of the crux of what he's saying, sans the inflammatory tone though.

I'm also not particularly fussed about this deal. I'm just rather dismayed about the current setup of regulation in general.

Here we have the world's economies spending God-knows in cumulative hours of their respective tax payers purse, for some to ultimately reach the conclusion that CoD is essential input for competition and needs protection to be delivered on equal terms.

Where right now, you can argue such terms are currently being violated, and also, they have no issue seemingly turning a blind eye for such future business deals in light of this discovery?

DryvBy

I mean those were the glory days of xbox with Peetaaah Moore at the helm. The days of the Million sales club (something like for the first 12 months of its life, they'd have a new game come up every month and reach 1 million sales). The momentum was unstoppable - well, er except that it did stop because turns out the 360 had a deadly hardware fault that meant every single one of these units would eventually die.

Sadly every generation of xbox has self-sabotaged itself in some way.
The RROD turned me from an Xbox fan to a casual fan. They haven't bothered to win me back with great games since that gen so I haven't bothered to support their Netflix of gaming service either.

nikolino840

theres no way sony have that much power. if its blocked, it'll be because its not in consumers best interests. also why do you expect that sony would do nothing? call of duty is the top selling game on PS every year! you think they just gonna sit there and be like, yeah let microsoft own and have control of the ip. microsoft would do the same if it was the other way round. theres nothing wrong with it.
Are you kidding? 1 dollar for the entire abk catalog 🤣

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The RROD turned me from an Xbox fan to a casual fan. They haven't bothered to win me back with great games since that gen so I haven't bothered to support their Netflix of gaming service either.

I feel you man - I went through 4 or 5 swaps until microsoft decided to stop doing it. Never bothered to pick up one of the flaw-fixed consoles, waited for the ps4.

Shame tho, the 360 had an awesome lineup of games.

//DEVIL//

As a pc gamer I don’t really care if the deal goes through or not. I am getting the games either way.

Part of me is hoping the deal goes through so Sony can stop act cocky and anti consumer bitch they are now.

The other part is MS is really shitty when it comes to maintaining and coordination . Halo is a prime example of how MS is. I am really surprised play underground team isn’t really affected by MS management yet because every other studio is.

Whatever the outcome is. We are in for a 100% meltdown which I can’t wait for

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Yeah, losing out on this isnt a death sentence for MS. There is a lot more they can do.

For example, just look at what Sony's done with Silent Hills, Metal Gear Solid remake and Death Stranding. They funded the silent hills reboot after Konami held an auction for the IP, they hired kojima for not one but TWO game deals funding his studio and the game from scratch. And they are having their first party studio make MGS. supposedly.

They didnt buy any of those games. They funded them. Much like Don Matrick did with Scalebound and Ryse. he also saved Titanfall after Sony failed to fund it when EA decided to cancel it. There are so many games that are cancelled that MS could be investing in. So many talented directors on the market MS should be courting. Bioshock defined the x360 generation. Its director hasnt released a game in 10 years despite working on a game with a smallish studio. Go and invest in his studio. Go mend relationship with platinum studios.

Sony went and signed up ex-bungie dev studio, ex-treyarch studio and jade raymond's studio early on and gave them the peace of mind they needed to create a new IP with a brand new studio. There are so many studios out there that are hurting for funding like this. Getting gobbled up by Embracer group and Tencent. Thats who they should go and buy.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
New thread worthy? Last generation console numbers finally revealed.

XBOX 63.7 Million consoles
PlayStation 151.4 M

EnBs2Vr.jpg
PS4 didnt sell 150 million units. They were at 117 million units earlier this year. So MS is likely using the PS5 total sales in that total. Same thing with xbox sales. Xbox Series sales were around 13 million last year. This lines up with the 50 million figure thats been speculated for x1.

PS4 didnt sell 150 million units. They were at 117 million units earlier this year. So MS is likely using the PS5 total sales in that total. Same thing with xbox sales. Xbox Series sales were around 13 million last year. This lines up with the 50 million figure thats been speculated for x1.

Still doesn’t even make sense.

117+ 20 (as of January) = 137m, im not sure where they are getting that playstation figure from. Unless they are adding in Vita numbers lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom