• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If only NVIDiA knew they just had to flash cash at regulators to get the ARM deal approved, eh? 🙄

Seriously, though, these posts are nonsense. They’ve detailed why exactly they’ve reconsidered their position, and the maths checks out.

Mid last year, half this forum was filled with people saying the ‘corrupt FTC’ would approve the deal on an accelerated timeframe. Look where we are today.

Cash? Watch the godfather and you will understand the joke.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think it would be seen as an attempt to be one, GTA would fall under all the same scrutiny as Call Of Duty. Like I said if Xbox was market leader then this would be blocked but they are a distant third and Blizzard/King actually have no impact on that.
The market leader who already has made several franchises exclusive from third parties would be blocked I'm sure.

GTA is not the same as CoD. CoD is like the number 1 title every year and generates far more revenue.

GTA is a massive property...that comes out once a decade and sells decently every year, but nothing like CoD.

"Market leaders" can buy other companies as long as it doesn't result in a monopoly. In this case it wouldn't. Microsoft has Activision. Nintendo is still Nintendo. Take 2 is small fry in comparison.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
That’s irrelevant.
It could significantly impact Nintendo in Japan, for example, and regulators would look at marketshare and market position of the purchasing party, as well as the mindshare around their games.

Behavioral remedies would be recommended.

Of course the regulators would look at it. Then pass it because it's a wet fart. None of these remedies needed. Neither studio is anywhere in the same galaxy as Activision.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't think that is even going to happen at this point. EU is supposedly only concerned about cloud gaming competition. CMA says this deal won't SLC. So why are any concessions needed for Sony at all?

If the deal passes through without any concessions, it will be a ridiculously good get for MS and almost a complete 360 + 180 degree u turn from both CMA and EU compared to their stances a few weeks/months ago.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why? Sony would just offer Nintendo and all those with concerns the world famous 10 year deal then bosh ! Just like this acquisition it's done that's how it seems to me .

A 10 year behavioral remedy would work.

I thought According to the CMA Nintendo isn't a competitor in the same market ? .

Call of Duty wasnt on Nintendo consoles.

Capcom’s games? Square’s JRPGs? Of course they’d rope Nintendo in, no question.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Why? Sony would just offer Nintendo and all those with concerns the world famous 10 year deal then bosh ! Just like this acquisition it's done that's how it seems to me .

I thought According to the CMA Nintendo isn't a competitor in the same market ? .
10 years cloud deal ,yummy

Tomeru

So Microsoft can't compete by making their existing studios better and growing their existing studios?

They aren't some minor player with limited resources who is a new entrant into the industry. They now span 4 console generations and have been in operation for nearly 25 years.

Why do they need to buy Activision to be competitive?
If you can't beat them - buy them. Problem solved and you are

Topher

Gold Member
Great. Now we wait for the FTC to drag this shit out. Hopefully they don't and just go along with whatever the CMA and EC decide. Then we can move on.

Just realized that the next big fight could be if the FTC tries to get an injunction against MS and ABK finalizing the deal.

If the deal passes through without any concessions, it will be a ridiculously good get for MS and almost a complete 360 + 180 degree u turn from both CMA and EU compared to their stances a few weeks/months ago.

There are concessions already in place, but just not any for Sony. But yeah, that is still a massive win for Microsoft if it keeps going like this.

Lina Khan ain't going to beat Microsoft. That's for damn sure.

Ozriel

M$FT
Of course the regulators would look at it. Then pass it because it's a wet fart. None of these remedies needed. Neither studio is anywhere in the same galaxy as Activision.

This is such a weird argument from you. Regulators didn’t bother with Blizzard’s games or Candy crush or World of Warcraft or the other IP contributing to that valuation. All they cared about was Call of Duty.

Consider Take 2, for example. Grand Theft Auto occupies a similar position to COD. It’s a mega, mega seller. Easily demonstrated with charts etc. The assumption that they’d wave GTA aside because of the ABK purchase is frankly hilarious.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This is such a weird argument from you. Regulators didn’t bother with Blizzard’s games or Candy crush or World of Warcraft or the other IP contributing to that valuation. All they cared about was Call of Duty.

Consider Take 2, for example. Grand Theft Auto occupies a similar position to COD. It’s a mega, mega seller. Easily demonstrated with charts etc. The assumption that they’d wave GTA aside because of the ABK purchase is frankly hilarious.

How does GTA represent a similar position to CoD when it doesn't generate nearly as much revenue and released once every decade? Sure, it's a great evergreen title. But it isn't CoD. Nowhere close.

GHG

Gold Member
Supporting an American company is jingoism? That concept explains a lot of problems

What "problems"?

Most rational consumers purchase the best product that fits their needs within the budget they have avialble at the time.

So yes, purchasing products soley due to nationalism, even if it means you end up with a subpar product is jingoism. The only person you're hurting in that scenario is yourself.

wolffy71

Banned
Has anyone answered this? Maybe I'm just very stupid but how does buying a publisher create more competition when we know good and well that they're going to push 99% of their products as exclusive?
Exclusive and competition have nothing to do with one another?

Like one can exist with or without the other.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Except it is. ABK deal has created a precedent.

ABK did not set any precedent. It was a situation where a $2T market cap company tried to acquire a $70B company to the objection of its biggest competitor which is only $40B larger than the company they are trying to acquire.

Sony is not in that sort of position, as a much smaller company than Microsoft (1/20th the Market Cap), buying a much smaller company with Take 2 (vs Activision).

splattered

What "problems"?

Most rational consumers purchase the best product that fits their needs within the budget they have avialble at the time.

So yes, purchasing products soley due to nationalism, even if it means you end up with a subpar product is jingoism. The only person you're hurting in that scenario is yourself.

So you're telling me that Xbox fans only buy their products because it's an american company?

That is absolutely absurd man... i expect better from people of this forum.

Wow.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That's because we haven't seen Microsoft's marketing deals. We don't know what restrictions they put on games.
Obviously not as bad or we would easily see them as we do Sonys deals, but that may just be because they do not have the leverage to do so. I mean how many "exclusive content on PS" have we seen over the years in ads? a lot.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Remember people said what would Microsoft do if the deal didn't pass? Well what are sony gonna do? Because Microsoft are really coming at them here and regulators ain't getting in the way. They must feel hugely threatened right now and I'm interested to see how they respond. Even more aggressive moneyhatting? Japanese publishers? Maybe even a western one as a defensive move before Microsoft swallow them up. Man i don't like this publisher buying crap. The industry is about to change, big time.
Literally nothing will change if this deal goes through except for gamepass getting a whole bunch of games. Sony won't lose any games and MS won't gain any, at least for awhile. I expect MS to have some exclusive games in the future, but not mainline CoD.

Varteras

Gold Member
So you're telling me that Xbox fans only buy their products because it's an american company?

That is absolutely absurd man... i expect better from people of this forum.

Wow.

To be fair, I used to work at an EB Games back when 360 launched. My manager and several store regulars were Xbox fanboys. They literally said one of the reasons they buy Xbox is to support an American company. Those people actually do exist. I've met them and worked under one. It's not the whole fanbase, of course.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Obviously not as bad or we would easily see them as we do Sonys deals, but that may just be because they do not have the leverage to do so. I mean how many "exclusive content on PS" have we seen over the years in ads? a lot.
Now that's a leap in fanfic logic.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To be fair, I used to work at an EB Games back when 360 launched. My manager and several store regulars were Xbox fanboys. They literally said one of the reasons they buy Xbox is to support an American company. Those people actually do exist. I've met them and worked under one. It's not the whole fanbase, of course.
Same as some in Japan preferring Japanese products. A tale as old as time.

splattered

Where did I say that?

Wow indeed.

This is nothing new unfortunately. It became glaringly obvious during the early part of the Xbox One generation when some people where 100% happy to state they were continuing to support xbox due to jingoism alone.

I'm sure there was a small subset of "fans" that stated things like this but people actually DO enjoy Xbox games for what they are and don't consider them "inferior"

Ozriel

M$FT
How does GTA represent a similar position to CoD when it doesn't generate nearly as much revenue and released once every decade? Sure, it's a great evergreen title. But it isn't CoD. Nowhere close.

Ing8eXL.png

Does it sell as much as COD franchise? No

Does it sell absolute gangbusters? Yes. 175 million for GTAV so far.

I’m sure it’s just your anger today that’s made you make the ludicrous claim that an IP like this wouldn’t receive regulator scrutiny.

the CMA concluded that MS has no incentive to keep COD exclusive post purchase. What do you think they’d conclude if they did the same research about Sony for a largely single player franchise like GTA? Especially given Sony’s history.

Even worse when you throw in RDR

GHG

Gold Member
you literally justy said it. lol

"Some" being the key word. That's literally what happened and continues to happen and some people are happy to state as such.

But ignore that if you wish. If that indeed was any of you and that's the reason for you taking offense to it then I'm sorry, I truly am.

And to elaborate further which is what thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best was alluding to, some people have even gone as far as to be racist in their attitudes towards Japan, all in the name of their selection of console. If anyone wants to be supportive of those attitudes then that's none of my business, says more about them than it does anyone else.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
how so? please enlighten me. im willing to listen to reason if you have proof of what I said is false.
Only reason we saw Sony's for that one deal, is that it was revealed during the Epic vs Apple court case. MS's weren't. Just because they are not revealed, doesn't correlate into "obviously not as bad."

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Ing8eXL.png

Does it sell as much as COD franchise? No

Does it sell absolute gangbusters? Yes. 175 million for GTAV so far.

I’m sure it’s just your anger today that’s made you make the ludicrous claim that an IP like this wouldn’t receive regulator scrutiny.

the CMA concluded that MS has no incentive to keep COD exclusive post purchase. What do you think they’d conclude if they did the same research about Sony for a largely single player franchise like GTA? Especially given Sony’s history.

Even worse when you throw in RDR

I didn't ask about unit sales.

I specifically asked about annual revenue.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Obviously not as bad or we would easily see them as we do Sonys deals, but that may just be because they do not have the leverage to do so. I mean how many "exclusive content on PS" over the years in ads? a lot.

We are talking about blocking games from Game Pass. Does MS marketing deals prevent games from being on other subscription services? I would certainly think so but I don't know since we haven't seen the contracts like we saw Sony's.

feynoob

Gold Member
What "problems"?

Japanese people buy Japanese products.
It's how people behave. They prefer their country products over others.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We are talking about blocking games from Game Pass. Does MS marketing deals prevent games from being on other subscription services? I would certainly think so but I don't know since we haven't seen the contracts like we saw Sony's.
Chances are, games they pay for market rights and time exclusivity also contain such language. It would be sound business logic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom