• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's not about pulling cod it's about putting the game on gamepass day one with lots of goodies to entice people to switch and only when they have managed to get the cod crowd from ps to subscribe to gamepass they then might think about pulling cod you can't compete with "perceived free games".... People must understand it's all about gamepass for Sony that's why they are against the deal .

No other company in the console market could bankroll gamepass and ms know it ,
Imo this aquisition shouldn't have gone through but whatever .
What’s the difference between that and buying/leveraging exclusive content and marketing every year?

C2brixx

Theory?
  • Hellblade 2
  • The Outer Worlds 2
  • Redfall
  • Starfield
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Psychonauts 2 (PS5)
  • Bleeding Edge
  • Avowed
All these games were in production when Microsoft acquired these studios. TOW2 likely wasn't, but that's still an IP that MS made exclusive after the acquisition. And so will be Elder Scrolls 6.

After ABK, do you think all ABK games will continue to be released on PlayStation? Just like Zenimax's, right?

This is an old tactic of deflecting and derailing the conversation by bringing up these really illogical arguments and naming Guerrilla and Bluepoint as Sony's acquisitions lol. See, now we are not even talking about the actual discussion that @DryvBy raised, i.e., how does acquiring multiplatform companies and making their games exclusive equal to increased competition.
Why do folks act like 3rd party games are guaranteed to be on any platform? It's this strange entitlement that certain console owners have. 3rd party independent publishers get to choose where their IPs go. In Zenimax case they choose to sell themselves and thus their IPs to a platform holder. In Activisions case 98% of the shareholder choose to sell their company to a platform holder. Those were their decisions. Wasn't a hostile take over from big bad Microsoft. These independent 3rd party companies made a business decision.

What’s the difference between that and buying/leveraging exclusive content and marketing every year?
Let's be clear ms had every opportunity to approach anyone Sony made deals with and outbid by a very large margin Sony can't compete with the full weight of Microsoft backing Xbox soaking up all costs neither can nintendo they'll be buying shares up for Pokémon next lol that's not competition imo although you might disagree and that's fine .

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Let's be clear ms had every opportunity to approach anyone Sony made deals with and outbid by a very large margin Sony can't compete with the full weight of Microsoft backing Xbox soaking up all costs neither can nintendo they'll be buying shares up for Pokémon next lol that's not competition imo although you might disagree and that's fine .
Not that simple. Sony is the market leader in many countries. The amount it would take to make up those sales would be ludicrous.

Three

Why do folks act like 3rd party games are guaranteed to be on any platform? It's this strange entitlement that certain console owners have. 3rd party independent publishers get to choose where their IPs go.
Who has said that they are guaranteed? Why do folks like you and darkmage deflect to this nonsense?

One person said:
You and any other fearmongers have this theory that's it's guaranteed MS will cut off games from competing platforms, when in reality they havent.

And he just gave examples where they have.

Last edited:

Nubulax

Gamepass isn't the platform, it's the MS store and specifically the gaming section of that they are looking to grow but agree with most/all of the rest.
I can see a future where they start to really cut into steams revenue and service...It might take a while but another large developer here..another here... and suddely they have basically all of the huge popular IP and can yank it off steam and onto their own store. People say Sony should look out but I think Steam is in a way worse position if MS is able to continue to gobble up publishers

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox: “we plan to invest more in localization and build more awareness through community and social leaders in these other markets”

How did you get ‘ColtEastwood’ from that?

Localization and country specific influencers doesn’t help to build a global brand?

I was joking about colt eastwood. Looking at Xbox as a global brand I’d say it isn’t working.

Looks a bit one-sided. Give MS Capcom, Take Two and Square Enix to let Xbox compete
7CdJ1zY.gif

I need it on my gamepass 🥺

Looks a bit one-sided. Give MS Capcom, Take Two and Square Enix to let Xbox compete
Nah, they don't need Japan. They just need T2, EA, CDPR, Ubisoft, and Embracer and that should be enough to make the playing field level with Sony and get some fair balanced competition

It's only after DOOM, The Elder Scrolls, Redfall, Starfield, Call of Duty, Diablo, Warcraft, Madden, FIFA, Battlefield, The Witcher, Cyberpunk, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and Lord of the Rings all go Xbox exclusive will there be real competition! Before that, it's all fake competition!

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It's almost as if the revenue off the Game Pass subscription service is so low that Microsoft can't upfront offer a revenue-sharing payment model or payment model based on player traffic/downloads etc. that can match the actual sales revenue those very same games would get in a B2P model.

Cringe Reaction GIF

Or are they just smart enough to realize that it is the most cost effective to purchase content in perpetuity at cost, like most of the other subscription based services are doing? :pie_thinking:

Option 1 > Rent all the day one content and risk bidding wars with the competition that could raise the price exponentially as it did between Hulu and Netflix.

Option 2 > Buy the content at cost. Own it indefinitely. Special bonus, ensure the content is always on your platform day one in a market where your competitor can easily buy timed exclusivity for peanuts because of their dominating position in the market. Big bonus, the publisher has a very high percentage of profit every year.

Last edited:
Not that simple. Sony is the market leader in many countries. The amount it would take to make up those sales would be ludicrous.
You have a point mate it would cost more for ms to outbid Sony but by how much though 5-10-25mill sales ? Nobody knows but I doubt a publisher or 3rd party are going to ask for compensation for the whole of sonys player base now that would be a crazy price but none of this matters now really they've chosen to buy their way to success which is really the Microsoft way I guess we'll see what happens in the future it's going to change the gaming landscape though that's for certain.

It's not about pulling cod it's about putting the game on gamepass day one with lots of goodies to entice people to switch and only when they have managed to get the cod crowd from ps to subscribe to gamepass they then might think about pulling cod you can't compete with "perceived free games".... People must understand it's all about gamepass for Sony that's why they are against the deal .

which is it? of course its about gamepass and thats why sony are fighting it so hard. they know microsoft are trying to forcefully shift the industry to a subscription model. this hurts everyone except microsoft because nobody else can afford to do that. it means microsoft basically have no competition because its become all about money now. remember the blockbuster comments? that tells you everything about what microsoft are trying to do here. they let the mask slip sometimes.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

And why do Sony get deals to market games ? It’s to entice people to PlayStation. It works both ways

what? do you think Sony can buy Capcom? or not?
Of course they can, it’s not even a question. It’s foolish to think otherwise. only question is if they should. What do they gain?

For example Discovery raised $30 billion in debt to buy WarnerMedia. Take Two offered 1/3 cash 2/3 stock to buy Zynga. Capcom would be above Bungie’s cost, below Bethesda.

The company I see Sony going for is Epic Games. They already own 5%, and it would have nothing to do with SIE. Sony Pictures is extremely interested in them. Sony really doesn’t want to be a gaming company. Epic Games would be a hail mary to make Sony Pictures a powerhouse.

Wait... blizzard is 9 studios? So ms is going to be 40 studios? :O
Still not enough for fair and balanced competition with Sony

The regulators have given them the green light to acquire anyone and everyone so the sky's the limit!

They need to also acquire Take 2, EA, Rockstar, Ubisoft, CDPR, Embracer, Amazon Studios, and probably also Tencent just to be sure they can compete fairly with Sony

Yoboman

Of course they can, it’s not even a question. It’s foolish to think otherwise. only question is if they should. What do they gain?

For example Discovery raised $30 billion in debt to buy WarnerMedia. Take Two offered 1/3 cash 2/3 stock to buy Zynga. Capcom would be above Bungie’s cost, below Bethesda.

The company I see Sony going for is Epic Games. They already own 5%, and it would have nothing to do with SIE. Sony Pictures is extremely interested in them. Sony really doesn’t want to be a gaming company. Epic Games would be a hail mary to make Sony Pictures a powerhouse.
Sony could buy Capcom with cash on hand alone, nevermind raising debt

Capcom market cap - $7.8 billion
Sony cash on hand - $13 billion

ReBurn

Gold Member

They'd have to buy out Tencent's 40% to get it. I think Tencent really wants that Fortnite IP so I could see there being a bidding war if Sony tried to go that way.

And why do Sony get deals to market games ? It’s to entice people to PlayStation. It works both ways
Yeah man I get you but it's either compete with Sony for market share and bid for deals like they do or just fuck it and buy everything in sight and know that your "competition" cannot do anything close to what you are doing wich is what this activison deal is imo .

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Let's hope this doesn't end up like their Nokia purchase.

Comparing it to Bethesda is more relatable than a failed phone market where they were too late to enter against apple and Google.

Phil Spencer stated the Bethesda purchase was not looking to remove games from Playstation. We now know a PS5 version of Redfall was in development. The two statements don't reconcile.

They did. They took future IPs that were coming to that platform.

Let's not try and downplay these actions.

Both companies are shit on their own

Microsoft hasn't taken anything away.

I guess what you guys are saying, as these games won't come to these platforms.

But they ain't being taken away. They were never there to be in with.

Warzone 2 is released on playstation. Removing that would be taking it away.

Red fall and Starfield never launched, so they aren't being taken away.

If I say dinner is on me tonight, but cancelled the meeting before the dinner taking place, doesn't mean I took the dinner away from you.

I just canceled the dinner.

If we both met up, and I took your plate, then I took away your dinner. .

It's not about pulling cod at the moment it's about putting on gamepass.

its about shifting the industry to a subscription model. thats microsofts end goal here. hence the blockbuster comment from brad sams. once they get call of duty, they know they have it in the bag. they want people to percieve that sonys way of doing things is outdated. they are the future like netflix was. and playstation will be outdated like blockbuster. lol sony still trying to sell games instead of putting it on a sub service.

Last edited:
Epic would be the hardest to get past regulators imo including EA and T2. The engine is too widely used by everyone.

I am also not sure if the 32bn private valuation is going to cause issues.
Tencent also owns a huge stake in Epic as well and they ain't selling.

I'm being half-serious when I said the best solution is for MS to acquire or merge with Tencent. Very quietly, Tencent owns a piece of almost every big name in gaming. If MS really wanted to stealth acquire the entire gaming industry, the best way to go about it would be to bid for Tencent. The Chinese government would reject it immediately though. Because the Chinese government likes quietly owning the entire gaming industry and won't allow MS to push in on their turf.

Last edited:

feynoob

Microsoft hasn't taken anything away.

I guess what you guys are saying, as these games won't come to these platforms.

But they ain't being taken away. They were never there to be in with.

Warzone 2 is released on playstation. Removing that would be taking it away.

Red fall and Starfield never launched, so they aren't being taken away.

If I say dinner is on me tonight, but cancelled the meeting before the dinner taking place, doesn't mean I took the dinner away from you.

If we both met up, and I took your plate, then I took away your dinner. .
According to your logic, Sony never took games from xbox then.
We can play this game all day.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah man I get you but it's either compete with Sony for market share and bid for deals like they do or just fuck it and buy everything in sight and know that your "competition" cannot do anything close to what you are doing wich is what this activison deal is imo .

Remember the start of this gen Sony went to all the third party publishers to secure exclusive content for PS, they tried to make sure they got as much as possible while trying to cut off Xbox. They want their own product to appear as enticing as possible vs the compitition

Banjo64

cumsessed

If we both met up, and I took your plate, then I took away your dinner.

And both scenarios leave the PS user with no dinner.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Remember the start of this gen Sony went to all the third party publishers to secure exclusive content for PS, they tried to make sure they got as much as possible while trying to cut off Xbox. They want their own product to appear as enticing as possible vs the compitition
That’s not cutting off content from Xbox. That’s just cancelling dinner in advance.

DaGwaphics

I think Sony (PS) buying UE would set off some major red flags with regulators, more so than the entirety of ABK. Would be interesting to see if they could get away with it.

Nubulax

• Psygnosis, a $50 million purchase, that continued releasing games on competitor platforms = Bad acquisition
  • Zenimax and ABK, bought for $75 billion, to immediately cut off 90% of the games releasing on competitor platforms = Good acquisition that increases competition.
Not to mention Sony was first entering the console space after getting embarrassed and shafted by Nintendo

C2brixx

Sony mainly gets marketing deals because they are the market leader. There is less downside for a publisher to give exclusivity to the market leader vs competitors with smaller install bases. That's is why Sony loves the status quo. They use (or abuse) their market position to secure all these 3rd party deals. Microsoft or any competitor with a smaller install base would have to pay more for exclusivity to make up for the potential loss a publisher will incur by skipping or delaying a Playstation release. I'm sure back in 2020 when Microsoft learned about the Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, and potentially the Starfield exclusivity deals they probably had enough of playing Sony's game.

Ozriel

M$FT
Acquisitions and consolidations only hurt competitors, remove games, minimize choices for gamers, and in some cases like these, minimize the competitors' ability to invest in their studios and games.

Ironically, this largely describes the impact of the exclusivity deals with Square Enix for AAA Final Fantasy games.

May as well argue that there’s no need to complain about the Bethesda purchase since other console makers could simply have bought them instead.

Ozriel

M$FT

No regulator is going to give Sony control of Fortnite and Unreal Engine.

If Epic puts themselves up for sale, they’d be snapped up by Tencent in a flash.

wolffy71

Banned
Why do folks act like 3rd party games are guaranteed to be on any platform? It's this strange entitlement that certain console owners have. 3rd party independent publishers get to choose where their IPs go. In Zenimax case they choose to sell themselves and thus their IPs to a platform holder. In Activisions case 98% of the shareholder choose to sell their company to a platform holder. Those were their decisions. Wasn't a hostile take over from big bad Microsoft. These independent 3rd party companies made a business decision.
And if it wasn't Microsoft it would have likely been been to Tencent, Amazon, or Google. And maybe at a lower price.

They would have likely not been asked to any 10 year deals. And they would have had the world's most valued IP as a launch point for any idea they cooked up. It probably wouldn't have immediate consequences but down the line, who knows.

Bottom line is they wanted out.

Remember the start of this gen Sony went to all the third party publishers to secure exclusive content for PS, they tried to make sure they got as much as possible while trying to cut off Xbox. They want their own product to appear as enticing as possible vs the competition
That's the aim isn't it to be the place to play or so too speak I wonder why Microsoft wasn't out there trying the same though ? , I'm not saying Sony hasn't been striking deals left right and center they obviously have . Microsoft had the studios before this aquisition to compete with Sony imo without continuing to buying large swathes of popular western ip's I wonder why they couldn't manage it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom