• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft CEO: Xbox Series X|S Has Outsold PS5 in NA for 3 Qtrs in a Row. Sales tracking ahead of 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanEvans21

Sony has that locked down in contract. It ain't going to gamepass. Anyway if ps5 and Xbox were both readily available ps5 would sell a lot more.
I dont think its not coming to Gamepass? but im sure its coming to sony console. i have both console so i might try it before i buy it.

Nobody is threatening you. I literally just told you I don't want to see anyone go, no matter their stance. You get so mad and so defensive. Just relax, they really are just games. It's why we are here, to have fun, and to have good civil discussions. I understand you hate MS with a passion and that's okay, but we don't need it in every XBOX thread. GAF isn't like the other game forums you post on. There are rules here.
I'm not playing your games bro, that's the difference between you and me. I don't keep track of who each person is or what they like or dislike and don't try to get anyone banned and I rarely report anyone. I just give my honest opinion if that is too much to some people, that's not my problem, they are very reasonable and acceptable views.

There is something weird about the way you are talking to me, I don't like it, very ominous, real bad vibes. You seem to know me but I don't know you.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oh....it seems you are new.

d8iirwk.jpg
JOywtCS.jpg

Isn't the engagement lower this quarter 😆.
Not that new actually, been here since 2005…

That’s just PR. Everybody does it, in some way or form.

Sleepwalker

Canada or California? because i cant find one here in Los Angeles. So far no email from sony or amazon (Registered from their website).
Canada.

My US psn account actually has received about 3-4 invitations to buy one this year. Last one was last month. Hope you get one soon.

Kagey K

Banned
Canada or California? because i cant find one here in Los Angeles. So far no email from sony or amazon (Registered from their website).
Canada, .ca is a Canadian URL, up here there's been at least 1 store that has them in stock for the last 2 months. You just have to keep your eyes open and you can get one easily. I posted the link on the 1st page (post 47) to pick one up right now for any Canadian interested.

Last edited:
Record pacing sales while first-party output has been sparse so far is an extremely good sign for the Xbox brand. It seems GamePass has been enticing millions of people who may not have considered an Xbox in prior generations and the numbers can only get better from here considering 2023 seems to be a packed year for Microsoft Game Studios.

RyanEvans21

Canada, .ca is a Canadian URL, up here there's been at least 1 store that has them in stock for the last 2 months. You just have to keep your eyes open and you can get one easily. I posted the link on the 1st page to pick one up right now for any Canadian interested.
OK! i got one already (Thanks to wario64) but planning to retire my PS4 Pro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Record pacing sales while first-party output has been sparse so far is an extremely good sign for the Xbox brand. It seems GamePass has been enticing millions of people who may not have considered an Xbox in prior generations and the numbers can only get better from here considering 2023 seems to be a packed year for Microsoft Game Studios.

Starfield, Redfall and Motorsport and more within the first half (pending any more delays) is an incredible schedule after a sparse 2022.

Should add a nice jolt to their reports, especially if the Acti deal closes by then.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'd love to see supply meet demand on all consoles so more gamers coukd benefit from competition and price. By now, in a normal generation, either the ps5 or series x would have dropped $100 in an attempt to gain market. And series S would have launched at $249.

DavidGzz

Man, they must be thirsty in central Ill for consoles cause I never see all these Xboxes that are readily available everywhere else. I walk by the game section often and I've only seen a Series S twice. PS5 and Series X may as well not exist. Anyway, this gen should be interesting. I remember discussing sales with certain fanboys before this gen started as they claimed PS5 would outsell Xbox 3:1 if not 5:1. Funny shit.

AetherZX

Man, they must be thirsty in central Ill for consoles cause I never see all these Xboxes that are readily available everywhere else. I walk by the game section often and I've only seen a Series S twice. PS5 and Series X may as well not exist. Anyway, this gen should be interesting. I remember discussing sales with certain fanboys before this gen started as they claimed PS5 would outsell Xbox 3:1 if not 5:1. Funny shit.
Little known secret to a Series X is to buy the refurb models that are regularly in stock on the MS store.

RyanEvans21

Check your local Target! you might find series x there. I got mine like 2 weeks ago. Also if you planning to subscribe to Game Pass? Cdkeys selling 3 months for $25.

Last edited:
I'd love to see supply meet demand on all consoles so more gamers coukd benefit from competition and price. By now, in a normal generation, either the ps5 or series x would have dropped $100 in an attempt to gain market. And series S would have launched at $249.
Price Drops? Will anything ever drop in price again? I only see it going up up up.
Even the price of the local carwash went up 2 bucks. :(

OuterLimits

Yes but that doesn't really mean much in the long run. And selling more because the other consoles no where to be found doesn't mean the Xbox is more popular either.

However, sale is a sale . And these gamers are now part of the Xbox ecosystem.

The only thing remaining is MS to keep them in that ecosystem. I really hope they get COD in game pass before MW2 is out. They will sell shit ton of consoles and game pass.

Quite a few people just want to buy a system to play the few big 3rd party games they are interested in. They will buy the system that is more readily available.

DavidGzz

Little known secret to a Series X is to buy the refurb models that are regularly in stock on the MS store.

Check your local Target! you might find series x there. I got mine like 2 weeks ago.

Thanks, guys! I got my XSX and PS5 on launch day, I just walk by a lot cause I get curious and bored. I do grocery shopping almost daily for fruit, yogurt, protein bars, etc. Also, hell yeah I have Game Pass. I did the three year trick a while ago.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I take some issue with characterizing Series X|S as one console for reasons that have already been debated in the past but congratulations, nonetheless. They’ve definitely instituted fresh ideas that have allowed them to be much more successful in comparison to the prior generation.
Why you take issue? The S and X are the same platform.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Price Drops? Will anything ever drop in price again? I only see it going up up up.
Even the price of the local carwash went up 2 bucks. :(

I know, wistfully thinking. How about this then.......the value of money drops, but the consoles stay the same price? Effectively makes them cheaper right? Lol

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
In 2027 when we are approaching the end of the generation I think install bases are going to be rather similar between PS5 and XBOX series.

Sony does have more demand to fulfill outside the US. But yes, I expect Series to outsell PS5 lifetime by quite a bit in the US. And definitely expect them to outsell the 360.

Judging by the reactions it seems like gaf disagrees. I’m on the right track then.
Not going to happen, I'm sure it'll be closer than last gen but nobody should be acting as if Sony isn't the favorite yet again, the fact is they can't make enough consoles while Xbox consoles are on store shelves everywhere, the series S specifically, the series x can still be pretty tough to find for periods of time.

pasterpl

"We beat the PS5 for 3 quarters in North America (our strongest market) while the PS5 was heavily supply constrained due to production problems and failed to meet it's targets. Also, the Switch doesn't count because we sold less than it did."

They sure like to console war when it suits them, classic MS: "We don't talk about unit sales. Unless we have some shots to fire and info that suits us. But if we don't say anything please don't assume the worst."

why should we care about Sony inability to secure stock? Why this should be a factor. It has nothing to do with ms. And since when switch is next gen platform? Troll harder.

On the one hand good on the brand for being able to have a variety of market conditions, internal and external, to allow them to make such a claim. The numbers don't lie.

But those numbers definitely come with some caveats, which you aren't going to get from Nadella in a Twitter post. We know about the rumors Microsoft paid for chip priority probably around the summer of last year, when they were stocking up Azure servers with Series X blades to revamp some stuff with GamePass. We know they have less global markets to satisfy demand for, meaning less consoles in those markets they need to supply. That allows them to pump stock into the few markets where demand is particularly high for the product, America being one of them.

When you've already got a limited amount of systems to supply, having the majority of your demand concentrated in a small handful of markets is a hidden benefit. But something else to keep in mind is that MS seem to be ramping down hardware sales forecasts. I don't know how long, how many quarters that's for, but comparatively, Sony have their supply shipments set up and they're pretty much expecting to make up for the shortfall earlier this year with H2, in Q3 & Q4 especially. And, I suspect that'll allow for a lot more units to NA (hell, it's to the point I may be able to easily pick up a system through PS Direct, tho I'm holding out for a non-bundle).

So yeah, good play on MS & Xbox for being smart with their supply and having enough in NA to take the last few quarters in terms of next-gen console sales. However, I don't expect it to last much longer and most people are probably of the same mind.

pasterpl

And all it took them was to buy half the industry for themselves. Congrats Microsoft 👏
Funny when you think that ms acquired zenimax after Sony bought exclusivity for deathloop and ghost wire and wanted to moneyhat starfield. Ms also moved on actiblizzard and we know that Sony moneyhatted cod for years now. So would you agree that anytime Sony is in the lead it is because its moneyhatted half the industry?

point being, both companies doing this shit (Sony less acquisitions but it is only because they are much smaller than ms).

Deerock71

Good for them, but I get the feeling it's because the PS5 is and always has been nearly impossible to find due to high global demand. Meanwhile the X is back in stock in my area every few days it seems, and the S has been steadily available from the local Best Buy, Target, and Walmart for about eight or nine months now.

It's going to be interesting (and amusing) when the supply chain congestion finally comes to an end. It will be about three years after the consoles were released at that point, and we're going to be seeing people pouncing on supply drops for months on end as if the consoles had just come out.
You act as if there aren't external forces that are going to drive down the demand for consoles globally. Inflation is real, as is supply chain disruption. The driving up of the price of food and gas is going to make the masses realize how disposable video games are, and quickly.
Batman Dying GIF

Lupin25

What are the lifetime numbers for all consoles? (If haven’t seen either at a store.)

Playstation 5 digital and disk should be split too tbh, if we are splitting skus. They are different tbh. Switch oled, light and standard should ge split too.

/S

The differences are negligible when it comes to output and hardware (outside of the disk drive). That’s why the PS5 Standard / DE is one SKU. That’s a different scenario than the Series S / X.

Last edited:
Probably because NA is MS's only market while Sony had to split it's supply across all regions high demand
Seems like it. Series S is permanently available to order, even always a few percent off, Sony should just have done something like a PS4 platinum slim too, Series X was at least available twice, once for a couple of days. I have not seen a PS5 for regular prices ever and I guess Prime members have at least a small chance at the rare drops. I am not really looking just checking now and then though.

Riky

$MSFT
Great news, Series outselling 360 in its biggest market justifies the amount of money invested in the Xbox ecosystem, really all the benefit even from the Bethesda acquisition is still to come and that's before Activision closes.
I see we're back to the but but Series S doesn't count crying, hilarious just how much salt and tears the little box has caused. Not one of these people thought PS4 Pro should be counted separately, funny that.
Just wait until they see Forza Motorsport running on it.
Phil Spencer has done an incredible job even though they have had a rough time getting software out this year, but that should all fall into place over the next year.
It will be a tougher market with recession looming but the forward thinking Series S and Gamepass value may be the right products at the right time.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
You act as if there aren't external forces that are going to drive down the demand for consoles globally.

First, entire restocks of PlayStation 5's still sell out in seconds so clearly demand for them has not dissipated one bit.

Second, I didn't deny anything nor did I mention inflation. If that's a theory of yours then present it that way. I'll just mention that inflation isn't affecting all households the same way (example: we haven't had to adjust our spending habits or vacation plans one bit), and prices for various commodities will be more in some parts of the world than they are in others; gasoline prices in my area never increased nearly as much as I saw elsewhere, and was already back to normal a few weeks ago. In fact overall prices for energy and food in the US is lower than they are in many European countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom