• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft CEO: Xbox Series X|S Has Outsold PS5 in NA for 3 Qtrs in a Row. Sales tracking ahead of 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godot25

Banned
Yep. The Series S should be tracked separately. That would give a more accurate picture of their sales.
Sorry, but that's just stupid
Nobody cared about need to track 2 SKU in last gen when we had One X/PS4 Pro alongside One S/PS4. Because they were part of same generation. And they ran same games.

Same situation here. There is no reason to track them separately outside of desperate PlayStation fanboys who are frustrated that PlayStation don't have 2,3:1 sales ratio like in previous gen. It's honestly sad at this point.
Series S and Series X can play same games. They are in one generation. They are rightfully counted as one.

When people are talking about Switch, they are bringing 110+ million consoles sold, not Switch, Switch Lite and Switch OLED as a separate systems.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
again, they should have just made the Series S a discless Series X that's identical in hardware. If you're worth 1 trillion dollars you can afford to take the loss
this is going to bite Xbox in the ass in the future and keep in mind i own a Series S so that's saying something- if all of your consumers are playing on a weaker system, people are gonna start complaining their stuff doesn't look nearly good as the equivalent stuff on PC/PS5
Are you forgetting all the games coming to the Xbox platform? They bought an ass load of devs in the last few years and GP is going to get super bonkers when all those first party exclusives start dropping day one. Like, massive heavy hitters are in the pipeline as we speak.

I've said it before, this gen will be wholly different than any other. Sony legitimately has competition this gen via Xbox.

yazenov

MS should keep the same energy and update us about unit sales after PS5 consoles are actually available to buy.

It aint hard to sell more than the competition when they dont have much units to sell.

I bet if they were dead last they would be silent again. Lets see.

Oh and units sales matter again after they declared they didnt mattter a while ago. Very strange.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
On the one hand good on the brand for being able to have a variety of market conditions, internal and external, to allow them to make such a claim. The numbers don't lie.

But those numbers definitely come with some caveats, which you aren't going to get from Nadella in a Twitter post. We know about the rumors Microsoft paid for chip priority probably around the summer of last year, when they were stocking up Azure servers with Series X blades to revamp some stuff with GamePass. We know they have less global markets to satisfy demand for, meaning less consoles in those markets they need to supply. That allows them to pump stock into the few markets where demand is particularly high for the product, America being one of them.

When you've already got a limited amount of systems to supply, having the majority of your demand concentrated in a small handful of markets is a hidden benefit. But something else to keep in mind is that MS seem to be ramping down hardware sales forecasts. I don't know how long, how many quarters that's for, but comparatively, Sony have their supply shipments set up and they're pretty much expecting to make up for the shortfall earlier this year with H2, in Q3 & Q4 especially. And, I suspect that'll allow for a lot more units to NA (hell, it's to the point I may be able to easily pick up a system through PS Direct, tho I'm holding out for a non-bundle).

So yeah, good play on MS & Xbox for being smart with their supply and having enough in NA to take the last few quarters in terms of next-gen console sales. However, I don't expect it to last much longer and most people are probably of the same mind.
I beg to differ. Xbox has a slew of top developers under their umbrella now. And many of them are juggernauts. Xbox will be THE WRPG, FPS, Racing platform from here on out. And no telling who else their going to buy in the future. If Netflix is acquired like some suggest, it's going to get ridiculous.

BlackTron

I really like my Series X but I have to admit, I don't think MS scored this on their own, as in if all other things remained equal I think they would be struggling vs. Playstation.

Saying this as a guy who does NOT want a PS5 anytime soon, just calling it as I see it. All MS needed to do to succeed here was:

1) NOT actively hurt themselves like with botched Xbox One Launch, Kinect etc.

2) Make enough units for people to buy while Playstation happened to be supply blocked.

The hardware and services are great, but MS doesn't have the games. Even compared to Nintendo lol. It's not like they achieved huge hardware success by shipping great titles like we gamers like to see. It just plays most of the same stuff PS and PC does, and it actually exists. In this enviornment that's enough.

NEbeast

Hasn't America always been a strong area for MS? It makes sense they are providing more consoles to their strongest market.

Noone here seemed to be worried about how Series S sales would be tracked when they were convinced it would bomb and bring the Series X along for the ride.

It'll be interesting how things shake out longer term. We're finally seeing more regular availability of the PS5 and XSX in North America so the true test will be the next few quarters.

Kiraly

MS should keep the same energy and update us about unit sales after PS5 consoles are actually available to buy.

It aint hard to sell more than the competition when they dont have much units to sell.

Oh and units sales matter again after they declared they didnt mattter a while ago. Very strange.

Imagine getting this triggered over a random reply to a question in an investor's call. You absolutely got Nadella with that zinger of unit sales not mattering at the end!

Last edited:

Fredrik

They haven’t shared any unit sales numbers, they’ve said it’s tracking ahead of Xbox One and Xbox 360, we have no idea how far ahead it is.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
The hardware and services are great, but MS doesn't have the games. Even compared to Nintendo lol. It's not like they achieved huge hardware success by shipping great titles like we gamers like to see.

But managed to win publisher of the year and have the biggest slate of first party games in development in history.

FlyyGOD

Yep. The Series S should be tracked separately. That would give a more accurate picture of their sales.

That's a lie but if it makes you feel better, keep deluding yourself.

The Series S doesn't even deserve to be called "next gen". It's an iterative half step up from the One X that is already struggling on some games two years into its lifespan. The specs of the Series S put it in a generational status all it's own and has no business being counted alongside the same sales numbers as the actual next gen Series X.
Does the Sony track the disc less ps5 separately from the ps5 including the drive? I'm just asking.

BlackTron

But managed to win publisher of the year and have the biggest slate of first party games in development in history.

I was watching the seconds hand on the clock waiting for someone to bring up all the games MS hasn't released yet.

DavidGzz

I was watching the seconds hand on the clock waiting for someone to bring up all the games MS hasn't released yet.

Yeah, maybe it's getting old but if Sony is failing to produce enough units to outsell Xbox now before those games come out, imagine if they keep failing into next year when those games do come out. Game Pass is growing and Xbox is selling more without said games. Add CoD in the fall and Starfield early next year and Game Pass+Xbox are sitting pretty.

PS5 and PS5 Digital are the same console...

Series S is completely different from Series X

- Much Worse GPU
- Less Memory
- Less Storage

Do we separate the PS4 and Pro or the Xbox One and One X? No? Ok, find another excuse.

Last edited:

John Wick

I thought that MS declared unit sales meaningless BS... and we are back to "only US sales count", just like the 360 days!

I wonder why they are relevant now, must be a long covid effect or something.
It's MS numbers only matter when it makes them look good otherwise its MAU or we're not interested in numbers but GP subs.

Ozriel

M$FT
You could go ahead and count PS5 and PS4 as one system.

You own a mythical PS4 with a non-netbook CPU and an SSD?

Unit sales numbers weren't mentioned. Satya is talking about sales trajectory.

And yes, since the Xbox Series is definitely going to outperform the Xbox one, they'll continue to have good news to share about Xbox. Not to mention when software ramps up.

This is going to be a painful generation for you.

Ozriel

M$FT
I really like my Series X but I have to admit, I don't think MS scored this on their own, as in if all other things remained equal I think they would be struggling vs. Playstation.

Saying this as a guy who does NOT want a PS5 anytime soon, just calling it as I see it. All MS needed to do to succeed here was:

1) NOT actively hurt themselves like with botched Xbox One Launch, Kinect etc.

2) Make enough units for people to buy while Playstation happened to be supply blocked.

The hardware and services are great, but MS doesn't have the games. Even compared to Nintendo lol. It's not like they achieved huge hardware success by shipping great titles like we gamers like to see. It just plays most of the same stuff PS and PC does, and it actually exists. In this enviornment that's enough.

Can you share the data you have that shows that most folks who are buying the Xbox consoles wouldn't have bought them if the PS5 was more readily available?

Not everything has to be a winner-takes-all competition. It's possible for BOTH the PS5 and Xbox Series consoles to sell very well at the same time.

I thought that MS declared unit sales meaningless BS... and we are back to "only US sales count", just like the 360 days!

I wonder why they are relevant now, must be a long covid effect or something.

Sales trajectory isn't the same as unit sales.
And notice Satya covered MAUs with xCloud and Gamepass.

psprofit2xkya.png

Yep, PS3 was a total disaster.

You can really tell when Mark Cerny arrived in golden armor to usher in an unprecedented age of peace and prosperity.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Didn’t have the consoles for long but good job. When had them the Xbox felt like a better console (more features nicer look ect..). Even 2 years later ps5 still just getting some of that stuff (vrr, 1440p ect.). Now if they just had some games….

Umbasaborne

Banned
They need to get better at you know…releasing those games. Of their titles last year one was multiplatform and two werent even availible on their own console, halo infinite launched incomplete after a tumultuous development period. Look at 2020, or hell even this year. They did not launch a single new triple a first party game in either year.

I love my xbox, i use it way more than my switch and ps5, but im not about to try and defend their piss poor release schedule so far.

Fredrik

They need to get better at you know…releasing those games. Of their titles last year one was multiplatform and two werent even availible on their own console, halo infinite launched incomplete after a tumultuous development period. Look at 2020, or hell even this year. They did not launch a single new triple a first party game in either year.

I love my xbox, i use it way more than my switch and ps5, but im not about to try and defend their piss poor release schedule so far.
Yeah. No defence from this corner either. I play more on my PS5. It didn’t start out like that but that’s how it is right now.

Godot25

Banned
They should when the reason they sell more is the S
So?
Switch also sold 110+ because of OLED and Lite models. But nobody cares about that. People care about Switch sales overall.

Why is this a problem? Microsoft went ahead with smart strategy - 2SKU's with different power specs and different price points. But both consoles are part of same console generation, same ecosystem and can play same games. And for Microsoft it absolutely does not matter if they get a customer with Series X or Series S. Point is that they have a customer.

Kerotan

They have an advertising contract, they have no contract that stops activison giving away their games on gamepass because they never could of for-seen that.

Day one on gamepass you better prepare yourself.
I've nothing to prepare for. It's pre-ordered on my ps5 . So I don't care. But imo logic suggests it won't be on gamepass as Sony would obviously have it included in their massive marketing contract.

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah, a bit weird for folks to keep beating their chest about 2021 when 2022 is void of first party games on Xbox. One would think with all the studio acquisitions made over the last four years that this wouldn't be an issue, but here we are.

John Wick

So?
Switch also sold 110+ because of OLED and Lite models. But nobody cares about that. People care about Switch sales overall.

Why is this a problem? Microsoft went ahead with smart strategy - 2SKU's with different power specs and different price points. But both consoles are part of same console generation, same ecosystem and can play same games. And for Microsoft it absolutely does not matter if they get a customer with Series X or Series S. Point is that they have a customer.
It was a smart strategy for the beginning of the gen. But as we go along the S will look outdated. Developers were already complaining and this will only get worse. Then MS will have a problem towards the end of the gen especially if they release mid gen refreshes.

oldergamer

Lol a lot of butt hurt sony fans commenting in a xbox sales thread. Good on xbox for turning things around. Its impressive as they are still supply constrained. Lets not forget both consoles are supply constrained. Ms may be less constrained then sony, due to the components used like the cheaper more available ssd memory.

Imo part of the reason sony is having component problems is due to the requirement of expensive fast memory they embedded on the motherboard. The purported memory speed difference on the ssd has not materialized and its made it harder to source components.

Im curious what impact will occur when we finally see an onslaught of games from ms first party. Im also curios if xbox series s will have an impact on japan making it super easy to turn them into dev kits for small dev studios. They might have an inroad if they get indy development from the region.

oldergamer

It was a smart strategy for the beginning of the gen. But as we go along the S will look outdated. Developers were already complaining and this will only get worse. Then MS will have a problem towards the end of the gen especially if they release mid gen refreshe

It wont look outdated when it uses nearly the same gpu and cpu. The biggest difference is the resolution which doesn't need as much memory. It was a smart move and they will have the first console that hits 99 bucks and can play current gen games.

Not relying on people to have 4k tv was a good move.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Very lucky as covid hit Sony hard.

Series is abundance in my country but PS5 is no where to be seen.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
PS5 and PS5 Digital are the same console...

Series S is completely different from Series X

- Much Worse GPU
- Less Memory
- Less Storage
I was really against the Series S until my nephew brought one to my house and I got to spend some time with it

Even playing with it on a 77" C9 I have to admit for the price point its a decent little console as long as you know going in what it is

Godot25

Banned
It was a smart strategy for the beginning of the gen. But as we go along the S will look outdated. Developers were already complaining and this will only get worse. Then MS will have a problem towards the end of the gen especially if they release mid gen refreshes.
It's funny that devs are complaining now while they are not using features that would solve potential bottlenecks of Series S like SFS and DirectStorage, but whatever...

And if you think that there will be mid-gen refreshes I have bridge to sell you.

BlackTron

Watch a bit longer and work out how you win publisher of the year without releasing any games.

I never said MS doesn't MAKE games, just that the Xbox doesn't have exclusive ones. For example Halo Infinite is on Steam. AoE4 isn't even ON Xbox! I suppose you think Switch would have had its kick start in 2017 if BotW and Odyssey came out on PC.

To be fair, I used the phrase "shipped games", yes they published games but I had meant in the context that would have really strengthened Xbox hardware, not just any platform they push it on lol.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Sorry, but that's just stupid
Nobody cared about need to track 2 SKU in last gen when we had One X/PS4 Pro alongside One S/PS4. Because they were part of same generation. And they ran same games.

Same situation here. There is no reason to track them separately outside of desperate PlayStation fanboys who are frustrated that PlayStation don't have 2,3:1 sales ratio like in previous gen. It's honestly sad at this point.
Series S and Series X can play same games. They are in one generation. They are rightfully counted as one.

When people are talking about Switch, they are bringing 110+ million consoles sold, not Switch, Switch Lite and Switch OLED as a separate systems.

One X and PS4 Pro were refreshes well into the generation. The X and S are two entirely different consoles with entirely different power profiles; it isn't shocking that people think a better picture would be separate SKU tracking. That said, if MS is selling more of their current generation consoles than SONY, that's a fair thing to note. . .just don't pretend they are the same machine. And the SWITCH comparison makes even less sense as those are really the same model just different form factors.

. . .also funny to throw "fanboyism" at someone else, when this is clearly the reason for your insistence for YOUR point.

It's amazing how people in here will tout that PS5 has been supply constrained but ignore that the Series X has been supply constrained for around the same amount of time. Just because it's "harder" to get a PS5 doesn't mean it hasn't been hard to get a Series X for the majority of the past 3 qtrs.

Also lol at all the deluded people trying to spin the Series S as it's own gen. Just because you don't want to play on it, or because it's selling well, doesn't mean it's a different gen when it plays the same games and has the same features outside of performance/resolution. It just screams fanboy nonsense

On topic, definitely cool that they're having success, can't wait until they start flooding the market with first party games starting this Spring and then nobody who's not a blind fanboy will be able to pretend that "XbOx HaS nO gAmEs"

RoadHazard

Gold Member
MS supplies more units to NA I suppose, while the PlayStation brand is way more popular in most of the rest of the world, so Sony has to spread their available units out more. But yeah, if there's one market MS can win (given that they haven't made any XB1-type fuckups this time around) it's NA, and they're probably very committed to making sure that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom