• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is finally retiring Internet Exploder in 2022

ManaByte

“We are announcing that the future of Internet Explorer on Windows 10 is in Microsoft Edge,” says Sean Lyndersay, a Microsoft Edge program manager. “The Internet Explorer 11 desktop application will be retired and go out of support on June 15, 2022, for certain versions of Windows 10.”

(and if you're still running that Google bloatware Chrome, ditch it for Chromium Edge. Gives you all of the Chrome compatibility without the RAM hogging bloat of Google spyware)

Pagusas

Elden Member
I switched to edge last year and haven't looked back. Other than a few stupid bugs (all stemming from chrome store app crashes) its been better than Chrome in most ways.

With IE retiring, i do wonder what all those business's running specialized IE6 software systems are going to do. I mean they've had more than enough time to rebuild those, but in typical business fashion many havn't/won't until they start losing money because of it.

Use Brave if you dont want companies spying on you.

I still use FF on mobile because Brave mobile doesn't have add-ons like NoScript yet, but for desktops Brave is great, especially once you use it enough to start cashing in BAT. Not that there is anything wrong with FF+privacy add-ons, but Mozilla really isn't worth supporting these days.

IE 11 and below made web development a nightmare. Thank God it is finally going away.

If I had to troubleshoot one more check scanner that would only work on IE11....

I, too, as an IT guy, welcome this.

anyone still use opera or firefox?

I use Chrome for personal, Edge for job, Firefox for personal business. No mixing of credentials or having to sign in/out of an account 100 times a day.

Last edited:

down 2 orth

How does Brave compare to Edge in terms of privacy? I heard Brave conceded to giving Facebook some kind of backdoor tracking access on websites, but I'm still using it.

TheMan

Man remember when Firefox 1.5 set the world on fire? They went downhill FAST after every version was a whole new number.
Yes I definitely remember Firefox being the cool kid on the block. I used it for a while but fell off in favor of chrome a couple of years later. Still using Chrome to this day.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

(and if you're still running that Google bloatware Chrome, ditch it for Chromium Edge. Gives you all of the Chrome compatibility without the RAM hogging bloat of Google spyware)
Except if you work in non-tech position all of your software tools have a Chrome plugin and nothing else.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I used Firefox until they forced out their CEO for wrongthink, haven't even considered them since.
Last time I used Firefox was probably when chrome was new and it was between IE, FF or try Chrome.

I used FF for a few years then it got bogged down and slow out of nowhere. Switched to google and never looked back.

I wonder what FF is like now.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Don't sleep on Edge. I abandoned Chrome about a year ago. Edge seems to eat less memory and also runs YT much better where Chrome chokes for whatever reason (its not an ancient notebook, its a ryzen 7). It was a bit of searching to remove Bing though.

Last edited:
Infopath. Was having trouble opening an old form for adjustments. I *think* Edge in compatibility mode could have done the trick? I'll give that a whirl.

I have no idea what infopath is, I just thought it was really strange, as most of the stuff I want to do is way more functional on any other browser.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I used Firefox until they forced out their CEO for wrongthink, haven't even considered them since.
Normally I'd do the same, but I'm used to this browser and I've been using it exclusively for years. I really don't want to use any Google products if I don't have to (gmail is a must these days unfortunately), might try Edge with my next PC in a year or two.

Last edited:

Ionian

Last time I used Firefox was probably when chrome was new and it was between IE, FF or try Chrome.

I used FF for a few years then it got bogged down and slow out of nowhere. Switched to google and never looked back.

I wonder what FF is like now.
I was using Chrome for years after FF, all was fine until it started constantly crashing to the point of being unusable.

FF is fine for me, still the odd crash but it doesn't hold the system in limbo. Just crashes and reboots within seconds. Works perfectly fine for me for what I use it for, videos, basic browsing etc. Quite quick too so dunno if they removed a load of bloatware from it.

Last edited:

led4lyfe

If you listen closely you can hear the morbid screams of businesses all over the world who stupidly never updated their software.
I have to use three different browsers(majority of my time is on IE) at work in order to do my job, it’s ridiculous. This is a Fortune 500 company.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Internet "Exploder" ?

3o85xwSzDvuE1b2tW0.gif

Last edited:

Gabbelgak

This will cripple the military. How will I be able to tell if people have the correct qualifications without antiquated technology used to open ancient websites that only support IE and refuse to update?

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Don't Chrome extensions work on other Chromium browsers? They're all the same base, aren't they?
Yes, they do. They work on Edge and Brave. Most of the extensions you can install directly from the google web store for both browsers.

TylerD

If I had to troubleshoot one more check scanner that would only work on IE11....

I, too, as an IT guy, welcome this.

I use Chrome for personal, Edge for job, Firefox for personal business. No mixing of credentials or having to sign in/out of an account 100 times a day.

Oh boy check scanners. No more of that for me. I had more than enough "fun" with those from 2013-2018. I moved from Banking IT to Healthcare IT and looking to make the move towards management this year.

for real this time? i've been hearing how MS are leaving IE behind for years now but it's always lingering there in the background in some form.

as for modern browsers to use. well, i swore by Chrome but ditched it. Went to Firefox and then tried MS Edge which wasn't bad but if you really care about privacy then Firefox is the only real option. on my iphone/ipad i use safari and on my PC i use Firefox.

lol my work is still using IE in 2021. their PCs are running Windows 7 Enterprise. Pentium CPUs with 2GB RAM. they are so slow. i wish they'd just upgrade the computers. doing the simplest things can take forever and it's not like you can just use your smartphone/tablet because to do 99% of things work related you NEED to be on a computer connected to their network. you can VPN in but that's not available to everyone (majority of people)

Last edited:

ManaByte

for real this time? i've been hearing how MS are leaving IE behind for years now but it's always lingering there in the background in some form.

Technically they have ditched it ever since Edge released. But Chromium Edge is so good they're officially killing IE next year. Those dinosaurs still using ActiveX webpages have until 2029 to fix them because that's when MS will strip the IE mode out of Edge.

Technically they have ditched it ever since Edge released. But Chromium Edge is so good they're officially killing IE next year. Those dinosaurs still using ActiveX webpages have until 2029 to fix them because that's when MS will strip the IE mode out of Edge.
yeah i know it was "ditched" long ago but i mean, right now, i can launch IE on my fully up to date version of Windows 10. so it's not really ditched.

and you've just confirmed that this "retirement" of IE isn't really them ditching it 100%. if they aren't stripping IE out of Edge until 2029 then they aren't really retiring it next year.

businesses will now be thinking "good we don't need to replace our systems for another 8 years!"

Last edited:

LordCBH

Good. Chromium edge is legit as hell. And all these rich companies need to either upgrade their shit to work with modern browsers, or get left holding the bag.

Mistake

Normally I'd do the same, but I'm used to this browser and I've been using it exclusively for years. I really don't want to use any Google products if I don't have to (gmail is a must these days unfortunately), might try Edge with my next PC in a year or two.
Switch to Waterfox then. You can move everything seamlessly, sync too

Top Bottom