• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft plans to put Call of Duty on gamepass - wallstreet journal

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
So do we listen to the people that said the acquisition wouldn’t go through, then said that CoD wouldn’t be on game pass? Just wonder what strike three will be.

Edit: Don’t take this post too seriously.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well it's not like there aren't already free versions of call of duty...
You don’t understand GHG. CoD at £70 cannibalises F2P CoD. To reach true enlightenment it all must be free. I don’t mean Game Pass ‘free’.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Oh man.....if you are going to go down that road then start with the folks making lofty claims about Xbox this gen. I think they are on strike 30. :messenger_beaming:
3b72c8a2-e402-4c27-bad4-f6781aaa4c1d_text.gif

feynoob

Gold Member
You don’t understand GHG. CoD at £70 cannibalises F2P CoD. To reach true enlightenment it all must be free. I don’t mean Game Pass ‘free’.
You keep saying this as if the game is exclusive to Xbox.

Only sales it will harm is Xbox one,, and that will be replaced by mtx.

This isn't starfield situation, where MS can't make money from mtx.

ByWatterson

LOL, they're sacrificing half a billion dollars at least on console and PC.

Wait, wait wait!!!

...there's a guy named Bloomberg who works at the Wall Street Journal? He lives in The Atlantic with his wife Financial Times and their son Forbes.

Darsxx82

A
So they are gonna kill Activision revenue as well. Amazing!
ABK revenue before:

-70% sales (game + microtransactions) on PS, PC and XBOX

ABK with MS revenue:

-100% of sales on Xbox and 70% on PC (steam), PS and Switch 2.

It's clear where MS can take the license to take risks without the revenue being too affected vs. ABK's. And it adds money savings on 3rd party gaming deals for Gamepass the month COD launches

Banjo64

cumsessed
You keep saying this as if the game is exclusive to Xbox.

Only sales it will harm is Xbox one,, and that will be replaced by mtx.

This isn't starfield situation, where MS can't make money from mtx.
If City win the Premier League on Sunday you’re going to wish you’d never been born sunshine. If we fuck it up, you’ll never see me again.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Was it ever a question? Obviously this was going to happen. All MS games are on GamePass and COD will sell a lot of subs, possibly even push some consoles.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Would MS rather a PS5/XSX owner subscribe to game pass and play on Xbox, or buy the game on PS5?
Well you eventually cross the line where subbing long term costs more than buying the game and likely most of those people still buying stuff in game regardless

The question is how big is the playerbase that buys GP anyhow plus buys the game, thats the market you lose in initial sales

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Oh man.....if you are going to go down that road then start with the folks making lofty claims about Xbox this gen. I think they are on strike 30. :messenger_beaming:
Man…. I was never an Xbox cheerleader but I thought Xbox would dominate after buying half the damn industry with Zenimax and ABK. I’m pretty shocked at how little advantage that has given them.

Topher

Gold Member
Man…. I was never an Xbox cheerleader but I thought Xbox would dominate after buying half the damn industry with Zenimax and ABK. I’m pretty shocked at how little advantage that has given them.

I was one of those who thought Xbox would do a lot better this gen even before the acquisitions. So count me among those swinging and missing as well.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

XXL

I was one of those who thought Xbox would do a lot better this gen even before the acquisitions. So count me among those swinging and missing as well.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
I've been through a bunch of the old threads.

You're good.

Others, not so much.

Everyone is wrong sometimes, but some people here had some extreme takes surrounding alot of this stuff.

NickFire

I could talk myself into this being a good or bad business move. They have all the data so if they think it will benefit them they should do it.

Not sure why anyone would suggest this is a change in strategy for MS in media. They have been day 1 on everything they own for a while now.

NickFire

I don't know about other Xbox first party titles but I think it totally works for COD and any other game that makes a fuck ton of money off MTX
The benefits of getting more players when MTX is being sold are obvious to me in most instances. But why didn't Activision make COD and Warzone both free to play? I can't answer that and it gives me reservations about whether banking on MTX is appropriate for a game that traditionally releases a new game annually. I'm also uncertain on how much MTX they will gain from existing GP subscribers (that they weren't already getting). Pure anecdotes for sure, but I find it unlikely that people who once thought COD could run on Switch in 2022 / 2023, or express interest in old COD campaigns, will be buying Snoop Dog skins (like I do - and I make no apologies for it).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Insane if you ask me.

Probably the most expensive (and risky) Hail Mary of all time across the industry.
?
They still get to sell on PlayStation and most of PC, and get mtx payments and probably lots of premium one week early 'beta' access purchases. Plus the continued gamepass subscriptions.
It's honestly not that risky at all with the small xbox install base.

Nydius

If true, Microsoft continues to make boneheaded decisions that will end with the death of Xbox as a brand.

I ran hypothetical numbers in a different thread but if even half of Game Pass subscribers decide to play it on Game Pass rather than buy it, that’s a $1 billion-plus loss of revenue. There’s no way they’re going to sell enough subscriptions to cover that loss, even with a more expensive tier.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Not surprised. Nadella absolutely loves SAAS models and since he took over almost every offering under Microsoft's umbrella has a day 1 subscription offering. And it's not just him. Investors salivate over the thought of recurring revenue vs burst sales. The bigger issue is solving churn.

dem

If true, Microsoft continues to make boneheaded decisions that will end with the death of Xbox as a brand.

I ran hypothetical numbers in a different thread but if even half of Game Pass subscribers decide to play it on Game Pass rather than buy it, that’s a $1 billion-plus loss of revenue. There’s no way they’re going to sell enough subscriptions to cover that loss, even with a more expensive tier.

If they weren't going to buy it, its not a loss of revenue. Do you really think half of Gamepass subscribers buy COD?

It is a potential mtx customer though

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Most of the guys who play CoD probably play 2 games a year. It, and a sports game of their given national preference.

If they don't have Gamepass already, they're not going to subscribe for the privilige to play "free CoD" when Warzone is right there - if they don't have to get an Xbox or a capable PC beforehand either.

All this does is take a big chunk out of their revenue.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

They're kicking the can down the road, maybe in hope to get some hard sales this holiday?

I don't remember Bethesda games taking this long.

Top Bottom