• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Can you give a single reason why it is a good idea to say fuck off to anybody without internet, overseas, or that doesn't want to be chained to a company's servers to play games that have nothing to do with actually being online? Preferably other than the "well not my problem, I'm always online!" bullshit only idiots have been toting.
MS man's response was to the notion of not having the internet by choice.

I understand what you're saying but at least keep it within the right context.

They can't serve them ads if they don't support Live, which is a large part of their revenue stream.

But if they allow Sony to take over such markets right now, won't they just become like mainland Europe in the future, with Microsoft struggling to assail an already deeply entrenched competitor?

And Live can still serve as a strong revenue stream in such countries, as it's not like internet doesn't exist in these areas at all. It's just that it typically isn't reliable enough to sustain an always-online service model.

How long was that game unplayable?

That's irrelevant. By proxy we saw customers unable to play or return the game. The transaction was underhanded and customers deserve better.

Understand the core principle of any good business: the customer is the most important person in your company.

Demographics and broadband assessment alone can show us that there are many potential customers across the world that will not be in the ideal situation to play an online gate Durango.

The defense should have premises - which it currently doesn't because MS won't speak to it. The defense is currently, "not my problem" "deal with it" "sucks to be you". It's condescending, inaccurate, and worst of all, lazy.

Darryl

Banned
I support it. Can you give a concise reason against it other than "my internet might go out"?

what if you want to take it to your friends house and play vidya and he has no internet? what if your kid does? what if in 3 years you want to cable cut? what if comcast can see that you have an "always online system" and intentionally jacks your rates up because they know you'll pay it?

it's all just ridiculous. it's an inferior online system. even the Wii U has a better one.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I support it. Can you give a concise reason against it other than "my internet might go out"?
Yeah, their "internet" might go out. Their servers. They already ran into an issue today, ironically. Not to mention people who are in locations where Internet is not available and the fact that you may not be able to play the game years later when they shut down the servers.

Replicant

The amount of people who have gotten into trouble with twitter is insane, don't people ever learn from other peoples mistakes?

Twitter: Exposes bigots and dumbasses since 2006.

And Twitter don't even have to do anything. These people just march on and expose themselves.

MS man's response was to the notion of not having the internet by choice.

I understand what you're saying but at least keep it within the right context.

You just re-framed the whole argument when you were originally the one asking why being online would be a problem. We were addressing you and your statement, and you can't come around interjecting the topic as a defense.

what if you want to take it to your friends house and play vidya and he has no internet? what if your kid does? what if in 3 years you want to cable cut? what if comcast can see that you have an "always online system" and intentionally jacks your rates up because they know you'll pay it?

it's all just ridiculous. it's an inferior online system. even the Wii U has a better one.

I seriously hope this isn't the Gaf reasoning on always-online. These hypotheticals are worthless.

What if I wanted to play Halo 4 online with my brother but his military station doesn't have wifi. Then guess what, I can't.

It's funny to me; if you went through life worrying about things that might happen, you would do very little with your time. So it seems crazy to me that people feel so strongly about the possible issues -- if you can call them that -- they may face, particularly when you consider said issues are in regard to a gaming console. I mean, I know these people have other complaints too, but I don't know. Each to their own I guess.

I'm with you on this one. I really don't see the problem. I live a virtually 100% connected life anyway. My 360 is never offline when it's on as is. As I've said in this thread before, I'll wait until MS actually announce something before getting angry. Seems more productive than throwing my toys out of the pram over rumor and conjecture.

In the end, I'll buy whatever looks to be the better product. So far Sony haven't released enough information to know what's really going on with their stuff. And MS haven't announced anything. When they do, I'll go from there.

Boss Man

~1/3 of Americans don't have high-speed Internet.

Shit happens, servers fuck up. Some of the Live servers screwed up today, ironically.

I don't like the idea of buying something that only works on those kind of terms. Hardly feels like I own it.

I don't want the games that I purchase to immediately lose their value the moment I use them.

My Internet will go out. So will theirs. I am going to be fucking pissed when that means I can't play a game that has no reason (other than to keep me from selling my games) to be online.

Just curious,how come now one complained about WoW being online only?
Because WoW can only exist online, it's an MMO. That game's content and purpose is online.

If you take something like, say, Fable. Fable can be played offline. The only reason why that game would absolutely require an Internet connection at all times is to completely devalue a game when it's in your hands, and overvalue it when it's not.

Vire

I don't mean to slippery slope it like the MS guy did, but is he wrong? My power goes off more often than my internet does.

Reasons why Always Online DRM is dogshit.

1. Legacy Support

Who knows if 10- 20 years from now the servers will be online to allow us to revisit our favorite games.

2. Server Outages

R1ODqsO.jpg

As recent example of the Sim City and Diablo 3 launches, it's not always just about YOUR internet, it's about THEIR servers. Shit breaks.

3. Affects People With Limited Internet Capacity

This greatly affects servicemen in the active duty across the globe. I have a friend who is currently in Afghanistan serving our country and is forced to played single-player only games due to no viable Internet options.

40% Of All Xbox usage is Offline.

4. Being Disconnected During an Inopportune Time

ibwI1puhNCjqAg.gif

5. Privacy Concerns

Relinquishing rights to remain private and not have data constantly collected about you doesn't sound too hot to me.

But please enlighten me why you think this is a "good" thing.

I seriously hope this isn't the Gaf reasoning on always-online. These hypotheticals are worthless.

What if I wanted to play Halo 4 online with my brother but his military station doesn't have wifi. Then guess what, I can't.
can you explain why it's good without hypotheticals.

The problem with your hypothetical is that, with the new Xbox, your brother couldn't play anything, period.

Why is limiting your install base a good idea?

1. Legacy Support

Who knows if 10- 20 years from now the servers will be online to allow us to revisit our favorite games.

2. Server Outages

R1ODqsO.jpg

As recent example of the Sim City and Diablo 3 launches, it's not always just about YOUR internet, it's about THEIR servers. Shit breaks.

This greatly affects servicemen in the active duty across the globe. I have a friend who is currently in Afghanistan serving our country and is forced to played single-player only games due to no viable Internet options.

ibwI1puhNCjqAg.gif

5. Privacy Concerns

Relinquishing rights to remain private and not have data constantly collected about you doesn't sound too hot to me.

Damn, very well said!

Rorschach

ibwI1puhNCjqAg.gif

Evo definitely on PS4 if this is the case.

And offline multiplayer like Madden and CoD zombies which is what a lot of my buds overseas play to kill time.

Valkyria

Banned

Because the world is much bigger than your little neighborhood. Plus always online console means your are no longer buying your games, but renting it until the servers stop working and no longer let you bypass the security check.

What if he wanted to play Halo 4 single player offline and doesn't have wifi, should he not be able to?

Darryl

Banned

well i guess you can't even talk to your military brother about Halo 4 because he'll never be able to play it at all.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

But he can play the single player campaign. Nobody here is arguing about playing an online game but rather why do we need an always online connection to play a single player game. You are completely missing the point.

What if he wanted to play Halo 4 single player offline and doesn't have wifi, should he not be able to?
Of course he should. Maybe I missed it in the initial Twitter splat where the issue of not being able to play offline was brought up. The only thing he touched on was the idea of always on. You guys are taking it a step further with these absurd notions when nothing has been made official.

Cidd

Wow, even the most hardcore xbox fans are pissed at MS, They better make an announcement soon and this "alway online" bullshit better not be real because if it is they can expect less than half the sales of the 360 next gen.

it seems like you're intentionally missing the point. What if your brother wanted to play Halo 4's single player? He couldn't. There's absolutely no reason why an internet connections should be needed to play a game that doesn't communicated with anyone else over the internet

blackflag

Of course he should. Maybe I missed it in the initial Twitter splat where the issue of not being able to play offline was brought up. The only thing he touched on was the idea of always on. You guys are taking it a step further with these absurd notions when nothing has been made official.

You should leave the thread, read and understand the issue, then come back and contribute.

Reiko

Banned

If you checked the Internet recently... It's not just GAF.

Vire

You clearly don't understand what always online means.

Come back when you've done your research.

Valkyria

Banned

Maybe you should check the facts before making statements. This thread is related to this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534729

1. Legacy Support

2. Server Outages

R1ODqsO.jpg

ibwI1puhNCjqAg.gif

5. Privacy Concerns

Exactly!

railGUN

Banned

it seems like you're intentionally missing the point. What if your brother wanted to play Halo 4's single player? He couldn't. There's absolutely no reason why an internet connections should be needed to play a game that doesn't communicated with anyone else over the internet
Where has it been officially stated that you will not be able to play your games offline on the next Xbox?

Thats all I need to see and I'll gladly eat my words.

Does this classify as thread whining? or forum whining?

This anti-GAF group has come out of the woodwork recently.

they're around i mean I frequent other forums seems some people have high disdain for gaf, blowing somethings up - but I don't know I think it's entertaining myself lol.

Top Bottom