• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Boss Man

Of course he should. Maybe I missed it in the initial Twitter splat where the issue of not being able to play offline was brought up. The only thing he touched on was the idea of always on. You guys are taking it a step further with these absurd notions when nothing has been made official.
Wow, lol. Not to be rude, but you have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Where has it been officially stated that you will not be able to play your games offline on the next Xbox?

Thats all I need to see and I'll gladly eat my words.
Show me where it has been officially stated that the next Xbox won't be a microwave. We're working with the same level of speculation required to say that there will be a new Xbox video game console at this point.

Of course he should. Maybe I missed it in the initial Twitter splat where the issue of not being able to play offline was brought up. The only thing he touched on was the idea of always on. You guys are taking it a step further with these absurd notions when nothing has been made official.

You clearly have not read the thread, and even the OP for christsake.

Pennywise

A small update from the dev "Mr.Lake" who hinted in the same direction, if you're not familar the rumor check the op.

"Meh, it's a rumor. If my prediction is right I get to say "I told you so", and if it's not then "I trolled the internet." Win win."

Link
So either damage control, or he doesn't exactly know about it and more likely heard about it through other devs.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
True, nothing has been made official but there have been numerous sources that point to this being very likely including at least one post by a game developer. The idea is the console will require an always online connection even to play just single player games.

Read the first post in the OP. There are tons of links and sources that point to the likelihood that the Next Xbox will be always online. You know what, I'm sure most of us here including myself hope that's not true. But things aren't looking good at the moment.

Reiko

Banned
A small update from the dev who hinted in the same direction, if you're not familar the rumor check the op.

"Meh, it's a rumor. If my prediction is right I get to say "I told you so", and if it's not then "I trolled the internet." Win win."

Link
So either damage control, or he doesn't exactly know about it and more likely heard about it through other devs.

I see it as both. Probably wants to still keep good relations with MS when this blows over.

Revven

Imagine the name "shinobi602" being brought up in the next Microsoft board meeting.

image.php

Reasons why Always Online DRM is dogshit.

1. Legacy Support

Who knows if 10- 20 years from now the servers will be online to allow us to revisit our favorite games.

2. Server Outages

R1ODqsO.jpg

As recent example of the Sim City and Diablo 3 launches, it's not always just about YOUR internet, it's about THEIR servers. Shit breaks.

3. Affects People With Limited Internet Capacity

This greatly affects servicemen in the active duty across the globe. I have a friend who is currently in Afghanistan serving our country and is forced to played single-player only games due to no viable Internet options.

40% Of All Xbox usage is Offline.

4. Being Disconnected During an Inopportune Time

ibwI1puhNCjqAg.gif

5. Privacy Concerns

Relinquishing rights to remain private and not have data constantly collected about you doesn't sound too hot to me.

But please enlighten me why you think this is a "good" thing.

Could you add "ownership" to the list.

The idea that you pay full retail price for games you don't own. Example: falsely banned, account hacked, etc... Every game you have is rendered useless until (if) it gets fixed. Granted this isn't likely, it has happened on the 360. People couldn't connect to Live until it was resolved, but could still play games in the following weeks. Which would render the next Xbox useless during that time for all games.

flattie

The vacuum and mobile phone analogies he uses would be more lame than they already are if they don't correlate to a device which becomes useless when it's supporting infrastructure fails.

Boss Man

Where has it been officially stated that you will not be able to play your games offline on the next Xbox?

Thats all I need to see and I'll gladly eat my words.
Does it matter whether or not it's in the next Xbox?

You said you supported always-online, and asked us for reasons why we don't. We answered, even with you arbitrarily limiting our reasons.

So can you defend that? Can you give us any reasons why you support always-online?

wildfire

Banned
Reasons why Always Online DRM is dogshit.

1. Legacy Support

Who knows if 10- 20 years from now the servers will be online to allow us to revisit our favorite games.

2. Server Outages

R1ODqsO.jpg

As recent example of the Sim City and Diablo 3 launches, it's not always just about YOUR internet, it's about THEIR servers. Shit breaks.

3. Affects People With Limited Internet Capacity

This greatly affects servicemen in the active duty across the globe. I have a friend who is currently in Afghanistan serving our country and is forced to played single-player only games due to no viable Internet options.

40% Of All Xbox usage is Offline.

4. Being Disconnected During an Inopportune Time

ibwI1puhNCjqAg.gif

5. Privacy Concerns

Relinquishing rights to remain private and not have data constantly collected about you doesn't sound too hot to me.

But please enlighten me why you think this is a "good" thing.

*hugs*

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Not to overshadow everything Shinobi and UberTag did, but I did get that IGN writer to correct the "posterity" mistake.

Just sayin' there's more than one hero in all this.

Does it matter whether or not it's in the next Xbox?

You said you supported always-online, and asked us for reasons why we don't. We answered, even with you arbitrarily limiting our reasons.

So can you defend that? Can you give us any reasons why you support always-online?
I prefer not to power off my devices. Call it a preference but either way I enjoy the idea instantaneous gameplay resumes on my consoles.

Huff

Banned
but I've come to really feel bad for this dude who had no idea that his "funny" tweets would blow up in his face so bad.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Could you add "ownership" to the list.

The idea that you pay full retail price for games you don't own. Example: falsely banned, account hacked, etc... Every game you have is compensated until (if) it gets fixed. Granted this isn't likely, it has happened on the 360. People couldn't connect to Live until it was resolved, but could still play games in the following weeks. Which would render the next Xbox useless during that time for all games.

This is the main reason I won't entertain the idea of buying the next xbox if it has anything remotely close to that. If you've ever had your account compromised (remember the stuff last year where a LOT of people got hacked? Apparently it was a vulnerability on the xbox.com site, so no matter how safe you were, you're SOL.) you should know that your account takes about 2-3 months to get back to you, and I still have a blemish on my account from achievements not gotten by me in games I've never played.

Pick any off a list of 10 good reasons, and 1 is enough for this to be a bad idea.

My only solace is that Sony hasn't announced it for the PS4, and I highly doubt that it'll only be on one console. That's shooting yourself in the foot if I've ever seen it.

There was a huge thread last year of people getting their XBL gold accounts hacked, it happened all at once suggesting it wasn't just carelessness with login details, I'm surprised it wasn't as big as the PSN outage/hacking.

I prefer not to power off my devices. Call it a preference but either way I enjoy the idea instantaneous gameplay resumes on my consoles.

I don't see how mandating an internet connection makes this any more possible than not requiring a constant connection for the console.

Yep.

Was it Gies who said GAF was constructing a narrative and everything had to fit into it? It was accurate.

Way to cherry pick. His public comments during the SimCity debacle carry over because he obviosly has an agenda, ignoring that is ignorant. Much like he asked to show him reasons why always online was bad and ignores the reasons and posts given. Same with that one poster talking about homophobic slurs and insults and it's a gif and one post out of thousands.

I guess believing that fits your narrative, see what you want to see.

inky

Which has nothing to do with always online and could be accomplished perfectly without an internet connection.

Jesus, do you even know what the word "online" means? Serious question.

ascii42

This is the main reason I won't entertain the idea of buying the next xbox if it has anything remotely close to that. If you've ever had your account compromised (remember the stuff last year where a LOT of people got hacked? Apparently it was a vulnerability on the xbox.com site, so no matter how safe you were, you're SOL.) you should know that your account takes about 2-3 months to get back to you, and I still have a blemish on my account from achievements not gotten by me in games I've never played.

Pick any off a list of 10 good reasons, and 1 is enough for this to be a bad idea.

My only solace is that Sony hasn't announced it for the PS4, and I highly doubt that it'll only be on one console. That's shooting yourself in the foot if I've ever seen it.

MS is the only one that charges for online. They get away with it because enough people feel the service is worth it. If MS thinks they can convince people that always online is worth it, then they just might go through with it.

Unless online play is free I will sum up my thoughs about Durango:
ibnf3DVrqQQzhR.gif

Just a little while ago I was actually afraid that I might have to really concider going for Xbox first this gen but everything has turned upside down. Microsoft needs to have some insane bombshells in its pocket for me to take a second look at them. ''Services'' will not be enough to justify stuff like this especially if it is just some sports channels and whatnot that don't interest me as a gamer at all let alone even be available outside US. I see brighter future for Wii U than Durango at this rate.

This will be such an american product made for americans. Aside from XBLGold and Redring 360 was such a great machine as was the OG Xbox. What happened?

I don't mean to slippery slope it like the MS guy did, but is he wrong? My power goes off more often than my internet does.
You could still play plenty of games on your iPad and iPhone, seeing as how they don't require a constant connection to function. Go figure huh? Not even your smart phone requires a continual connection to use its apps.

ascii42

Which has nothing to do with always online and could be accomplished perfectly without an internet connection.

Jesus, do you even know what the word "online" means? Serious question.

And even then "always online" doesn't necessarily mean "requires online." Hell, even Nintendo figured that out years ago with WiiConnect24.

Top Bottom