• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to launch xCloud streaming free with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate in September | The Verge and Xbox Wire

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Only Game Pass Ultimate is available on PC, but it includes Game Pass for Xbox One, PC and Gold membership.
I know, but this means could play Xbox games on Xcloud, with KB & M support, on the go. Sorry, I guess I should have completed my point.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This is why PS now annoys me so much.
Seriously Sony could have been ahead on this YEARS ago.
All they need to do is add phone / tablet support and add some more high profile games to it. And bam. And cheaper than what xCloud will be available for to start with too.

It's a matter of time before Sony will announce that. The app was already available on some TV's a few years back.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
They probably only have Xbox Game Pass games on xCloud.
I haven't fired it up lately, but I believe it was pretty much Gamepass games when I tried it out. That's fine though, because look at what's coming to Gamepass...Halo Infinite, Hellblade 2 etc. I mean this is going to be special. There's even a lot of gems on there right now. Stellaris, Slay the Spire, All the Gears Games, Forza Horizon games...all Forza's except Forza 7 for some strange reason.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Incredible service adds a new incredible perk.

The XCloud beta was pretty ace, I played through a lot of Just Cause 4 on it - switching between my One X and my phone pretty seamlessly. I was very impressed.

Dory16

Banned
That's all I needed to know Phil:

When you add it all up, Xbox Series X is the only next generation console that lets you play new blockbuster games at the highest console fidelity, enjoy the latest blockbuster games the day they launch for one monthly price, play four generations of your games at higher fidelity than ever before, and play with friends wherever you want across your TV, PC, and mobile device. And with Xbox All Access, you can jump into the next generation for one low monthly payment and no up-front costs.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Project-xCloud-Canada-2-960x640.jpg

Tested for several months in a selection of countries, the streaming game service Project xCloud will be officially deployed next September, announced today Phil Spencer. Its price was previously unclear, but we now know that it will be included in the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription (€ 12.99 / month), and at no additional cost.

"You will get more from your Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership. Finally, today we’re announcing that this September, in supported countries, we’re bringing Xbox Game Pass and Project xCloud together at no additional cost for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members. With cloud gaming in Game Pass Ultimate, you will be able to play over 100 Xbox Game Pass titles on your phone or tablet. And because Xbox Live connects across devices, you can play along with the nearly 100 million Xbox Live players around the world. So when Halo Infinite launches, you and your friends can play together and immerse yourselves in the Halo universe as Master Chief—anywhere you go and across devices."

McRazzle

If I were Nintendo or SONY I would bring a suit against Microsoft with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and worldwide equivalent agencies, for anti-competitive monopolization.
Microsoft is taking financial losses by undercutting the market with a strategy that can only be financially viable, by leveraging the monopoly they have with Windows.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I haven't fired it up lately, but I believe it was pretty much Gamepass games when I tried it out. That's fine though, because look at what's coming to Gamepass...Halo Infinite, Hellblade 2 etc. I mean this is going to be special. There's even a lot of gems on there right now. Stellaris, Slay the Spire, All the Gears Games, Forza Horizon games...all Forza's except Forza 7 for some strange reason.

It was only GamePass games in the beta. The final version will allow you to access anything in your library.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It was only GamePass games in the beta. The final version will allow you to access anything in your library.
Fa real? I could play any game in the beta as long as I was connected to my network and my xbox was on. Are you saying they are removing that requirement and now you can play all your games no matter where you are?

Last edited:
If I were Nintendo or SONY I would bring a suit against Microsoft with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and worldwide equivalent agencies, for anti-competitive monopolization.
Microsoft is taking financial losses by undercutting the market with a strategy that can only be financially viable, by leveraging the monopoly they have with Windows.

wow someone really hates innovation. I bet if it was Sony doing this you wouldn't say a word against it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Fa real? I could play any game in the beta as long as I was connected to my network and my xbox was on. Are you saying they are removing that requirement and now you can play all your games no matter where you are?

That's the idea of xlcoud. It's to play your own library.

This is now saying it's an added benefit to play games on GP if you're an ultimate member.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

That's the whole part of XCloud. You can also use your Xbox as a streaming server. Basically using the streaming feature that is already there, but from outside your home network.

cryptoadam

Banned
So only works on phones and tablets?

If it could be used on a PC I would sign up for gamepass just to try Xcloud. I am not interested in playing on a 6 inch screen with touch controls.

Played PS NOW and found it good enough for me.

Redlight

They're moving Xcloud to Series X servers in 2021, which could mean that it will then be possible to stream next-gen games at full quality (if you have the bandwidth). Next gen MS handheld? Chances are you already have it in your pocket.

soulbait

I don't get this mindset. Phil knows we WANT new consoles, right?

We do. My sister who has 5 kids, does not. She just bought her youngest son an Xbox last year (older brother already had one). Going to take several years before she is willing to buy him another one.

DaGwaphics

If it could be used on a PC I would sign up for gamepass just to try Xcloud. I am not interested in playing on a 6 inch screen with touch controls.

Totally agree. As long as your screen isn't too big, it still looks good. Played some Spiderman on a PC monitor a while ago and it played great, even with PSNow being 720p.

Then.....make......good......games.....

its the one thing MS havent figured out yet
Lol 😂 so if the games they make do not appeal to you that makes them bad games? I’m not understanding the logic they didn’t get to this point in the industry by making bad games. Some of the most iconic games in gaming do come from Microsoft. Granted their first party output lagged behind Sony and Nintendo but that’s an awkward thing to say.

cryptoadam

Banned
PC client is coming but no info when.

Cool.

Hopefully its not to far off.

This is one way MS could get me because I don't plan on jumping into Next Gen right away. But I would for sure subscribe to a streaming service for a month or two.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Cool.

Hopefully its not to far off.

This is one way MS could get me because I don't plan on jumping into Next Gen right away. But I would for sure subscribe to a streaming service for a month or two.

I'm assuming since GP is on PC they are finishing up android and IoS before they go full I to PC client.

REE Machine

Banned
Lol 😂 so if the games they make do not appeal to you that makes them bad games? I’m not understanding the logic they didn’t get to this point in the industry by making bad games. Some of the most iconic games in gaming do come from Microsoft. Granted their first party output lagged behind Sony and Nintendo but that’s an awkward thing to say.
This generation was trash all around for xbox, its not about appeal its about quality, the games this gen had none this is a reflection if their scoring but also their lack of sales in franchises that wont get sequels as well as established pillars like gears and halo doing poorly. They didnt have any bangers this gen or must have games really at all, it was alot of empty promises then switched to services. This is why I am hesitant of them next gen, nintendo and sony are still running in the race, and MS gassed out one lap in.

dolabla

Not a fan of cloud gaming, but this is pretty awesome. Microsoft is being aggressive as shit this upcoming gen. Competition is great.

McRazzle

wow someone really hates innovation. I bet if it was Sony doing this you wouldn't say a word against it.
No I love innovation, that's why this is a problem.
If Microsoft can manage to destroy its competition by taking huge losses from offering up entire libraries of games, then the entire industry will have to accept whatever crumbs Microsoft is willing to dole out. And then it's bye bye innovation.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Not a fan of cloud gaming, but this is pretty awesome. Microsoft is being aggressive as shit this upcoming gen. Competition is great.

I stream my Xbox One X to my PC all the time in 1080p and it works great. It's a great option to have.

This generation was trash all around for xbox, its not about appeal its about quality, the games this gen had none this is a reflection if their scoring but also their lack of sales in franchises that wont get sequels as well as established pillars like gears and halo doing poorly. They didnt have any bangers this gen or must have games really at all, it was alot of empty promises then switched to services. This is why I am hesitant of them next gen, nintendo and sony are still running in the race, and MS gassed out one lap in.
They had good games this generation they just gimped their hardware for Kinect and tv tv which in turn lost a lot of their install base. Which in turn meant there wasn’t enough support for their exclusives like 360 gen. Sunset, Ryse, killer instinct, quantum break not having tv and being a full game would have been great. Ori, cuphead, sea of thieves are all solid games. Again not having the install base really gimped their first party output.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Again you can easily with Android Simulator, it works well... But then again it would be really stupid for MS not to introduce the official W10 app.

No I love innovation, that's why this is a problem.
If Microsoft can manage to destroy its competition by taking huge losses from offering up entire libraries of games, then the entire industry will have to accept whatever crumbs Microsoft is willing to dole out. And then it's bye bye innovation.

while you make a good argument, i'd say look at netflix. it was the streaming king. now we have so much competition it's getting obnoxious with the amount of streaming services available. i do not think microsoft does nor will have a stranglehold on it.

If anything i hope it forces sony/nintendo to evolve and grow with the times. I don't want to see laws and anti competitive red tape stop growth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom