• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft wants Xbox to 'reach industry leadership' by 2030, plans to double Xbox revenues

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
92099_77_microsoft-wants-xbox-to-reach-industry-leadership-by-2030_full.png

Microsoft plans to make Xbox the leader in the global games industry in terms of revenues by 2030, and Xbox has already beaten Nintendo revenues for the past two years running.

California District Courts today published a wealth of documents from the FTC v Microsoft federal case exhibit list, and included in packet is a lengthy internal presentation deck from Microsoft's SLT (Senior Leadership Team) that outlines its ambitious plans for Xbox gaming.

According to the document, which was published in June 2022, Microsoft aspires to have the Xbox ecosystem become the top inter-connected video games platform by revenue by the year 2030. "Our ambition is to reach industry leadership, as defined by global revenue, by 2030. This implies doubling our total revenue during that timeframe," reads the slide deck.

92099_2030_microsoft-wants-xbox-to-reach-industry-leadership-by-2030.png

Microsoft's internal targets from June 2022 imply that Xbox gaming will achieve over $32 billion revenues by 2030.

"Generating $17 billion in revenue, Xbox is one of the leaders in gaming," Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said in the document. This value is an internal estimate--Xbox actually generated $16.22 billion in revenues throughout Fiscal Year 2022.

Microsoft also aspires to earn a total of $500 billion in revenue by FY2030. This includes all of its operating units (also called CSAs, or Customer Solutions Areas). Gaming will be a small comparative part of this total.

92099_32022_microsoft-wants-xbox-to-reach-industry-leadership-by-2030.png

92099_329211_microsoft-wants-xbox-to-reach-industry-leadership-by-2030.jpg

Our records show that Xbox beat Nintendo in total revenues throughout both calendar 2021 and 2022. This is despite the Nintendo Switch being the top-selling console. However, every Nintendo Switch is sold at a profit, whereas every Xbox console is sold at a loss.

Elsewhere in the document, Nadella outlines the growth vectors for Xbox gaming. These include continued expansion of Xbox Game Pass to capture more of the PC market as well as efforts to "build out" xCloud in an attempt to bring Xbox Game Pass to the mobile market.

Three

That's funny, tell another one.

Xbox is losing marketshare and mindshare as times goes on. I don't think they can right this ship.
I don't think Nadella is specifically talking about the console when he mentions "Xbox ecosystem become the top inter-connected video games platform by revenue". He's referring to the whole gaming sector which is what the $16.22B was too.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I don't think Nadella is specifically talking about the console when he mentions "Xbox ecosystem become the top inter-connected video games platform by revenue". He's referring to the whole gaming sector which is what the $16.22B was too.
I understand that, and that's why I added mindshare. I also don't see other publishers cutting their revenue if GamePass will be on other platforms and people stop buying their games.

Three

They went from 9b to 16b in 7 years but expect to double their revenue —growing another 16.22b — in the next eight years?

Yeah…
Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars
I can assure you they would be making way more than this. Take this with a huge pinch of salt, especially as it's a June 2022 presentation. See you in 8yrs.

Nydius

I can assure you they would be making way more than this. Take this with a huge pinch of salt, especially as it's a June 2022 presentation. See you in 8yrs.

They’re going to double their revenue in an industry that they were supposedly considering leaving during the X1 era, that Phil supposedly wanted to abandon for mobile? In a market that is going to become oversaturated with subscriptions (it’s close already) where Game Pass won’t have as much luster and will need to keep finding new ways to milk their loyal whales?

Okay sure. :rolleyes:

Let’s pretend for a moment that I accept the hypothetical. How much are they spending to achieve this revenue? We’re only seeing one side of the equation. If they have to spend 32b to generate 32b, that’s not a victory in any sense of the word.

Last edited:

Three

They’re going to double their revenue in an industry that they were supposedly considering leaving during the X1 era, that Phil supposedly wanted to abandon for mobile? In a market that is going to become oversaturated with subscriptions (it’s close already) where Game Pass won’t have as much luster and will need to keep finding new ways to milk their loyal whales?

Okay sure. :rolleyes:
That's exactly what they would do. Acquire, increase subs and slowly milk their users. Look at how much netflix was making in revenue in 2014/5 vs what it's doing now 8yrs on.
Let’s pretend for a moment that I accept the hypothetical. How much are they spending to achieve this revenue? We’re only seeing one side of the equation. If they have to spend 32b to generate 32b, that’s not a victory in any sense of the word.
They hope to make it back over years they have the market on subs and their ecosystem but I'm not saying this will certainly be a financial victory in operating income. Just that that 2030 revenue target is a lowball.

No. Just continue to acquire enough to squeeze Sony out of the market.

Have a hard time thinking they can achieve this goal without the Activision deal going through, plus a number of other major publishers. Although, who knows, maybe Activision would be enough. That's a huge revenue driver right now. They'd be about equal with Sony I think?

Last edited:

Phase

Obligatory "need some games first bruh"

Jokes aside, unless they buy everyone I don't see this happening. Their first party titles aren't like they were before and they haven't nailed a new big one yet. Starfield hopefully nails the landing, but they need more quality output for a long stretch if they want the throne.

reinking

Gold Member
Have a hard time thinking they can achieve this goal without the Activision deal going through, plus a number of other major publishers.
I believe they are going to test how strong the CMA really is. I hope strong enough because I do not want to see this industry gobbled up but the way things are going the CMA is the only thing standing between MS and Activision. If it goes through, I do not believe MS is close to being done.

Just look at Disney.

the thing is....buying shit doesn't required effort....but retaining the content's quality and output release schedule is the actual challenge.

MS should see a massive increase in every metric.
MS will have a massive increase and this is why Sony need to defend and buy some publishers as well in order to stop Xbox from getting more games off their platform. I see this as business competition and the larger one finally opening their bag to our spend the smaller one. Sony has enough to buy what they need, but they better act fast because Microsoft ain’t playing.

MS will have a massive increase and this is why Sony need to defend and buy some publishers as well in order to stop Xbox from getting more games off their platform. I see this as business competition and the larger one finally opening their bag to our spend the smaller one. Sony has enough to buy what they need, but they better act fast because Microsoft ain’t playing.
sony is reacting as we speak, and they have several avenues to counterattack....in fact; sony always has shown proactiveness to secure his market leadership.

Top Bottom