• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft wants Xbox to 'reach industry leadership' by 2030, plans to double Xbox revenues

xiskza

Maybe by trying to go after the ones remaining:

KOrt2qr.png

on Housemarque:

iDKWDVPLfb.webp

StereoVsn

They could spend their way into this. If they heavily subsidized everything they could make it but then they would “win” in revenue and that’s about all. It would be stupid.
To a normal gaming company yes. To MS with a plan of half a TRILLION of revenue by then and huge profits from cloud and office/other subs, not so much.

I mean right there in FTC releases they admitted that the goal is to kill off competition and they can easily spend their way to that unless anti-trust rulings stop them. We have been through this song and dance with MS before on their previous anti-teuat shenanigans.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Sony is about 25 billions right now. By 2030 they could easily be above 30 billions.
Also how MS intent to nearly double their revenues ?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Through mobile, I can see it. Console gaming is nothing in the grand scheme and historical evidence shows it is pretty stagnant. Plus, its full of too many end users that have a serious allegiance to their preferred piece of plastic.

Not happening through console at all.

It will be mobile.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
92099_77_microsoft-wants-xbox-to-reach-industry-leadership-by-2030_full.png

Microsoft plans to make Xbox the leader in the global games industry in terms of revenues by 2030, and Xbox has already beaten Nintendo revenues for the past two years running.

California District Courts today published a wealth of documents from the FTC v Microsoft federal case exhibit list, and included in packet is a lengthy internal presentation deck from Microsoft's SLT (Senior Leadership Team) that outlines its ambitious plans for Xbox gaming.

According to the document, which was published in June 2022, Microsoft aspires to have the Xbox ecosystem become the top inter-connected video games platform by revenue by the year 2030. "Our ambition is to reach industry leadership, as defined by global revenue, by 2030. This implies doubling our total revenue during that timeframe," reads the slide deck.

92099_2030_microsoft-wants-xbox-to-reach-industry-leadership-by-2030.png

Microsoft's internal targets from June 2022 imply that Xbox gaming will achieve over $32 billion revenues by 2030.

"Generating $17 billion in revenue, Xbox is one of the leaders in gaming," Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said in the document. This value is an internal estimate--Xbox actually generated $16.22 billion in revenues throughout Fiscal Year 2022.

Microsoft also aspires to earn a total of $500 billion in revenue by FY2030. This includes all of its operating units (also called CSAs, or Customer Solutions Areas). Gaming will be a small comparative part of this total.

92099_32022_microsoft-wants-xbox-to-reach-industry-leadership-by-2030.png

92099_329211_microsoft-wants-xbox-to-reach-industry-leadership-by-2030.jpg

Our records show that Xbox beat Nintendo in total revenues throughout both calendar 2021 and 2022. This is despite the Nintendo Switch being the top-selling console. However, every Nintendo Switch is sold at a profit, whereas every Xbox console is sold at a loss.

Elsewhere in the document, Nadella outlines the growth vectors for Xbox gaming. These include continued expansion of Xbox Game Pass to capture more of the PC market as well as efforts to "build out" xCloud in an attempt to bring Xbox Game Pass to the mobile market.

Wait, I thought they were small, needed people to help them buy Activision - Blizzard and make it all exclusive over time just to survive… now they boast about driving much more revenue than Nintendo in one of Nintendo’s best years.

🤔… feels like Good Guy Phil was lying again… this looks like the “thought experiment” never stopped…

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don't see why Microsoft couldn't significantly improve their fortunes in gaming. I'm personally surprised at how much Starfield has cut through, and while that game appears to be a particularly significant title in video games, I'm surprised that with that and off the back of Xbox's recent showcase that nobody can imagine a situation where Xbox is releasing games that people want to play, and want to play enough that they would consider buying their hardware.

It's not without precedent either, look at the journey Nintendo were on with the WiiU before they released the Switch, the difference is huge. From releasing a system that a lot of people thought was very disappointing (I'm one of them - it's the only Nintendo system I've skipped since the N64) to the success of the Switch.

If Starfield reviews well, Xbox sales will increase, no doubt. If the next couple of exclusives review well that'll bring more people in, etc.

As to whether that'll be enough to double revenue, no idea, but I don't see it as unreasonable that Microsoft could increase revenue significantly, given that they're currently working with so few well reviewed AAA exclusives.

Ar¢tos

Sony is about 25 billions right now. By 2030 they could easily be above 30 billions.
They'll buy every 3rd party publisher by bypassing regulators via shell companies, like shills are suggesting, because because nobody in the world is clever enough to see through that.

mrmustard

Banned
If Starfield reviews well, Xbox sales will increase, no doubt. If the next couple of exclusives review well that'll bring more people in, etc.

As to whether that'll be enough to double revenue, no idea, but I don't see it as unreasonable that Microsoft could increase revenue significantly, given that they're currently working with so few well reviewed AAA exclusives.
Although that's all some fanboys care about, i don't think that Xbox hardware sales are a long term goal of Microsoft. Otherwise there wouldn't be day1 pc ports or xCloud and they wouldn't have used Series X for their server farms instead of selling them. I wouldn't be surprised if we won't see another Xbox after the next gen.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
92099_77_microsoft-wants-xbox-to-reach-industry-leadership-by-2030_full.png

Microsoft plans to make Xbox the leader in the global games industry in terms of revenues by 2030, and Xbox has already beaten Nintendo revenues for the past two years running.

California District Courts today published a wealth of documents from the FTC v Microsoft federal case exhibit list, and included in packet is a lengthy internal presentation deck from Microsoft's SLT (Senior Leadership Team) that outlines its ambitious plans for Xbox gaming.

According to the document, which was published in June 2022, Microsoft aspires to have the Xbox ecosystem become the top inter-connected video games platform by revenue by the year 2030. "Our ambition is to reach industry leadership, as defined by global revenue, by 2030. This implies doubling our total revenue during that timeframe," reads the slide deck.

92099_2030_microsoft-wants-xbox-to-reach-industry-leadership-by-2030.png

Microsoft's internal targets from June 2022 imply that Xbox gaming will achieve over $32 billion revenues by 2030.

"Generating $17 billion in revenue, Xbox is one of the leaders in gaming," Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said in the document. This value is an internal estimate--Xbox actually generated $16.22 billion in revenues throughout Fiscal Year 2022.

Microsoft also aspires to earn a total of $500 billion in revenue by FY2030. This includes all of its operating units (also called CSAs, or Customer Solutions Areas). Gaming will be a small comparative part of this total.

92099_32022_microsoft-wants-xbox-to-reach-industry-leadership-by-2030.png

92099_329211_microsoft-wants-xbox-to-reach-industry-leadership-by-2030.jpg

Our records show that Xbox beat Nintendo in total revenues throughout both calendar 2021 and 2022. This is despite the Nintendo Switch being the top-selling console. However, every Nintendo Switch is sold at a profit, whereas every Xbox console is sold at a loss.

Elsewhere in the document, Nadella outlines the growth vectors for Xbox gaming. These include continued expansion of Xbox Game Pass to capture more of the PC market as well as efforts to "build out" xCloud in an attempt to bring Xbox Game Pass to the mobile market.

4JxjZMZ.jpg

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Although that's all some fanboys care about, i don't think that Xbox hardware sales are a long term goal of Microsoft. Otherwise there wouldn't be day1 pc ports or xCloud and they wouldn't have used Series X for their server farms instead of selling them. I wouldn't be surprised if we won't see another Xbox after the next gen.
Whatever the model, the point is that I don't see why people can't imagine a situation where Microsoft improve their fortunes in video games.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
"We’re about — call it 10% of Microsoft’s revenue right now. So Microsoft doesn’t sink or swim based on Xbox’s success today. So it allows us to take some longer-term views of what our success looks like. We run a profitable business inside of the company and that’s important. We do that today."

Profitable today.

Gojiira

Nah they cant even manage consistent, high quality releases. They arent ‘leading’ anything except a circlejerk in the executive offices…

Woopah

Crazy to me that they make more revenue than Nintendo even in third place. I guess it’s from their cut of digital stuff?
I'm not sure how MS do it, but there is a difference in how Sony and Nintendo count digital revenues.

If someone buys a digital game on PlayStation, Sony counts the full price as revenue. If someone buys a full game from the eShop, Nintendo only counts their cut as revenue.

Both are logical, it just comes down to preference of the Finance department.

Three

I'm not sure how MS do it, but there is a difference in how Sony and Nintendo count digital revenues.

If someone buys a digital game on PlayStation, Sony counts the full price as revenue. If someone buys a full game from the eShop, Nintendo only counts their cut as revenue.

Both are logical, it just comes down to preference of the Finance department.
For Nintendo would this not just be profit at that point and not revenue?

jumpship

This 30 billions revenue estimate by 2030 must surely be subject to the approval of ABK. Because without that plus the new restrictions on what they can buy in future (due to the CMA ruling) this estimate is in serious jeapardy. Starting to understand why they threatened the UK and called the FTC unconstitutional.

Tsaki

Well yeah, if they can buy the biggest publishers, boom, Double Revenue achieved over night. It's pretty easy actually for Xbox if they don't have regulators in the way. Just give another $70 billion to EA and you are there. It's not like the Xbox division has to work with the money they make and try to do strategic planning with their limited resources. Just get your hands at the Azure pocket and problem solved.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
They're probably counting with the revenue coming from $80B worth of publisher acquisitions.

I.e. it's not the current Xbox Studios that will start making more money through more frequent and higher quality game releases. They already lost hope on that front.

John Wick

Oh I wonder how they plan to do that? (see netflix price increases)
By stifling competition and out spending their rivals. Watch Nintendo and a few other comoanies act completely differently when they realise MS are out for their lunch money as well.

Sanepar

If the deal is approved they will they have all the money to buy all pubs out there. I just hope they don't destroy the industry.

John Wick

If there is no monopolistic behaviour after buying two of the biggest pubs in the world than there is no reason to not go foe more.
They are struggling to get ABK done and you think they'll be allowed to buy EA or Take Two after?
Good luck with that because it ain't happening.

Whatever the model, the point is that I don't see why people can't imagine a situation where Microsoft improve their fortunes in video games.
It is because MS is not interested in videogames or making/selling them. That is all there is to it. You can't improve in something unless you are interested. Xbox just wants to take over, but without actually being the best. Because being the best is too much hard work. Xbox can't succeed unless they are interested in gaming, and they never were interested in gaming. They were interested in taking over the living room, that was the only reason Xbox was created.

In Europe and Japan, not a single chance. The Xbox brand is both unknown and dommage to a non return point.
Maybe not for Japan, but Starfield will imho be the first interesting test if finally adding something to the mostly tamed Halo, Gears, Forza blockbuster trio will change something. Skyrim and Fallout are IPs that sold well and this will either move some numbers or just generate stubborn FU MS gamers. If that fails, okay then it's not gonna explode like they expect- their goasl seems imho even reasonable, without AB- but if that's the starting point for actually getting their shit together I have no idea how someone can doubt that MS will not grow substantially, again even without AB. Some exclusives and better selling hw immediately moves sales of some third partys also onto their platform. The question that interests me is; will they make Sony's pie smaller or actually grow the market.

They need to improve their products or pivot to mobile in order to achieve those numbers.

Pick one.

Nah, their plan is self-evident. They buy existing publishers. Activision, TT, EA, Sega... all those companies' revenues would be added to Xbox post-sale, meaning a quick surefire way to doubling your revenue in a short space of time.

Last edited:

Three

For Sony and Nintendo first party games it will all be revenue. Its how they account for third party games which is different
I mean for third party games if revenue is the cut they get then it is just profit rather than revenue.

Last edited:

Sanepar

a multi-trillion dollar company with a point to prove? be careful what you wish for.

and some people want to see microsoft fail. their failure would destroy the industry. or at least the console market.
Tbh they failure will not make a big diff. They are irrelevant outside us and uk. And even in us and uk they are 3rd place.

Fabieter

They are struggling to get ABK done and you think they'll be allowed to buy EA or Take Two after?
Good luck with that because it ain't happening.

They mostly struggle because of cod which EA lacks something similar. They would have problems getting t2 because of gta tho.

Top Bottom