• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Xbox is already crushing Sony's PlayStation when it comes to creating the 'Netflix of gaming' — and it has huge implications for next-gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
In the summer of 2017, Microsoft made an ambitious bet on a new Xbox service: Game Pass.

The service would offer a curated library of over 100 games, and it cost just $10 per month. Moreover, every major Xbox game published by Microsoft, from "Halo" to "Gears of War" to "Forza Motorsport," would be published to the service at launch as part of the library.

If you're thinking, "That sounds sort of like Netflix," you'd be right, although with Game Pass you download titles instead of streaming them.

In the years since, Xbox Game Pass has become one of the best deals in gaming — a coup from Microsoft's Xbox division in a console cycle dominated by Sony's PlayStation 4. Game Pass now boasts over 10 million users, as of late April.

Sony's equivalent service, PlayStation Now, hasn't had quite the same trajectory.

The service launched way back in 2014 on the PlayStation 3 before heading to the PlayStation 4, and Sony says just 2.2 million people are paying for the service as of late April.

Notably, it's a huge increase over user numbers from last year — from around 1 million in March 2019 to over 2.2 million in April 2020 — no doubt due to pricing changes with the service, coupled with a more competitive library that takes advantage of Sony's first-party exclusives, such as "Marvel's Spider-Man" and "God of War," among others.

Even with that major increase, less than 2% of PlayStation 4 owners are paying for PlayStation Now.

It's impossible to know exactly what percentage of Xbox One owners are paying for Game Pass, but that's less important than ever to Microsoft — the company has intentionally moved its attention away from which console you buy and toward subscriptions services like Game Pass. As long as you're paying for its services, Microsoft doesn't mind if you're doing it on an Xbox, a PC, or a smartphone.

In the long term, Microsoft says it's more worried about competition from companies like Amazon and Google rather than the so-called console wars.

"When you talk about Nintendo and Sony, we have a ton of respect for them," Xbox leader Phil Spencer told Protocol in an interview published this past February. "But we see Amazon and Google as the main competitors going forward."

Microsoft's Xbox division, which makes the Xbox game console line, feels the threat from Google and Amazon because of one word: streaming.

In the case of Google, the service is named Stadia — a Netflix-like game service that streams games to a variety of devices, no game console required. In the case of Amazon, there's no service just yet; one codenamed "Project Tempo" is said to be in the works. And Amazon already has a robust cloud infrastructure in Amazon Web Services (AWS) to compete with Microsoft's similarly robust Azure cloud infrastructure.

"Amazon and Google are focusing on how to get gaming to 7 billion people around the world," Spencer said. "Ultimately, that's the goal."

With over 10 million Game Pass subscribers to PlayStation Now's 2.2 million, Microsoft is still a long way from 7 billion — but it's got a critical lead over the competition.

Ma-Yuan

I don't think so... If all gamers would do that this would amount two like two sold AAA games per year maximum... I think that is not what Sony has in mind revenue wise as well as publishers and developers.

I mean realistically speaking, 10 million is about as far from 7 Billion, as 2.2 million to be quite frank.
We're talking orders of magnitude here.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well, it is MS' primary strategy both now and going forward, while Sony appears to be approaching the business the way it has been run historically. It looks like next gen won't come down to teraflops and SSD speed but whether you do want a Netflix-type experience with GP or do you want a similar console experience as in the past.

Kev Kev

PS fans:
xszJM8.gif

Sony already won the question is by how much and will Microsoft make enough to keep the division for the next round in 2027.

Microsoft will be making billions with Xbox Game Pass and Xcloud. You can just play the games you already own in your library without owning an Xbox console via Xcloud, and It'll be part of Xbox Game Pass this year.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I remember when Xbox Live was crushing PSN.

They may have won the console space, but this is much bigger.

the people that don’t see the potential of this never will.

Potential needs to be realized. Google saw the potential, Stadia happened. Because that's what they are talking when they talk about 7 billion people.

MS is betting big time that people want to play Halo Infinite on their smartphone, somehow. Meanwhile Nintendo is beating record sales with the Switch.

I wonder, if MS had created the Switch, and Nintendo had made the Xbox one + Gamepass, would western media be writing the same hyperbole?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Isn't that huge THIS generation so not sure it will be that huge next generation.

It's at least extra medium though; maybe XXM.

vivftp

The fact that the author of this article refers to Stadia as a Netflix style experience tells me they're a wee bit clueless. Unfortunately they also used the PS Now figures that Sony erroneously included in their corporate strategy slide. The real numbers going by what Sony's announced in the past year are:

March 2019 : 700k
End of Sept 2019 : 1m+
End of April 2020 : 2.2m+

As for them trying to compare Game Pass and PS Now, honestly it's incredibly premature at this point. Both services are still growing and are in their infancy at this early stage. Heck, right now both services have a very different level of focus from their parent companies, to MS it has been their main strategy for a couple of years and will be going forward, to Sony it's just an additional strategy that they've only given any serious amount of attention to in the past 1 year and we don't yet know their plans going forward. Both services will change and grow immensely with the coming gen so trying to conclude any winners or losers from this early stage is nothing more than clickbait with maybe a bit of console warring.

justjohn

Strange how with Microsoft it’s always “wait for the future when all their plans will come together” whilst in the meantime their main rival is destroying them.
The “Netflix of the future” if it does ever take off will depend on contentlike it always has and who has the better software content now?

CobraXT

Banned
Games will never be like movies business model wise , its very important to sell a game for 60 $ in the first weeks , movies have the benefit of cinema which account for most of the profits , AAA games dont

Ogbert

I don't think anyone would deny that Sony is close to Gamepass. MS are obviously in a far better position.

The problem is, do people 'really' want Gamepass? Or, rather, will it ever be anything more than a 'oh, yeah, it's pretty good'.

People want to the system with the best games. MS continues to have no out and out killer game.

I’ve seen this headline pop up a few times this week, basically saying “Game Pass is one of MS’ main weapons for the Series X.”

It’s definitely awesome. It’s an incredible value. Will it equate to selling considerably more boxes? Hopefully, I guess we will see.

I didn’t know PS Now is only 10 bucks a month now. That’s a pretty great deal too. With some more improvements, PS Now could compete with Game Pass but I dunno if Sony really feels the need to go that far with it, considering how well they are already selling.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
didn’t know PS Now is only 10 bucks a montj now. That’s a pretty great deal too. With some more improvements, PS Now could compete with Game Pass but I dunno if Sony really feels the need to go that far with it, considering how well they are already selling.

I don't want PS Now to compete with GamePass. I want developers to feel their games have to have extremely high quality so people will BUY them for $60 (or more, it's been that price for a long time and $60 is less money now).

I'm sorry, but I do not think rental subscription services are good for the long-term quality of AAA vodeo games.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Game pass is really great. i never thought it would be as good as it has been. It adds value as they could offer a free year or two with the purchase of a console. Its something sony can't match easily/ If MS can compete on price, can't demonstrate how they are supporting the system with lots of first party games or gamepass, it's a lot of value for the dollar.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Didn't we have this thread a few days ago? I distinctly remember remarking how the prominent usage of a xbox marketing slogan ("netflix of gaming") isn't conducive to thinking this isn't sponsored content.

oldergamer

I don't want PS Now to compete with GamePass. I want developers to feel their games have to have extremely high quality so people will BUY them for $60 (or more, it's been that price for a long time and $60 is less money now).

I'm sorry, but I do not think rental subscription services are good for the long-term quality of AAA vodeo games.
It doesn't impact the quality of AAA games, it supplements it and gives those AAA games when sales slows to a trickle, a huge boost in profit along with exposing it to millions more people that may otherwise have never tried it. For example Just Cause was a game i never played until gamepass, and now i anticipate the next one and would even buy it. I forget the name of the game, but there was a AAA GAS title that looked like the developer was going to shut it down. they put it on game pass and now hundreds of thousands of people are playing it and enjoying it. They may not need to shut it down after all. In no way, shape or form is that a "bad" thing.

Vawn

Banned
It doesn't impact the quality of AAA games, it supplements it and gives those AAA games when sales slows to a trickle, a huge boost in profit along with exposing it to millions more people that may otherwise have never tried it. For example Just Cause was a game i never played until gamepass, and now i anticipate the next one and would even buy it. I forget the name of the game, but there was a AAA GAS title that looked like the developer was going to shut it down. they put it on game pass and now hundreds of thousands of people are playing it and enjoying it. They may not need to shut it down after all. In no way, shape or form is that a "bad" thing.

You're talking about old games that already sold for $60 and reached the point where sales have all but stopped.

But if subscription services became the norm, those games would no longer be made. Everything would be made to go "straight to DVD". People would stop buying games and developers just need make stuff good enough that keeps people from canceling their memberships.

pr0cs

It doesn't impact the quality of AAA games
The mantra that gamepass "is where poor quality games go" has been used for a while now.
Thus far it hasn't been even remotely true.

There is a risk in the future that Microsoft might have the quality wane but as a consumer I'm happy to reap the current benefits the subscription provides.

vivftp

I’ve seen this headline pop up a few times this week, basically saying “Game Pass is one of MS’ main weapons for the Series X.”

It’s definitely awesome. It’s an incredible value. Will it equate to selling considerably more boxes? Hopefully, I guess we will see.

I didn’t know PS Now is only 10 bucks a month now. That’s a pretty great deal too. With some more improvements, PS Now could compete with Game Pass but I dunno if Sony really feels the need to go that far with it, considering how well they are already selling.

If you subscribe yearly PS Now is $60 USD, so $5/month. In June they'll have a Days of Play sale where it will be 30% off, bringing it down to $3.5/month when you buy an annual sub.

Anyways, as far as the evolution of PS Now is concerned I feel there's a buttload of ways for them to grow the subscription numbers without having to put all their first party content on the service day 1:

- Add a benefit where most PSN purchases can be streamed as long as you're subscribed (some publishers may opt out). This will make it more like Stadia in some ways
- With the move to Azure expand to more countries beyond the 19 the service currently supports
- Due to the above they should also be able to expand to more devices (phones, tablets, TVs...). The current PS Now infrastructure only had support for about 5 million users streaming as of mid 2019, so they should be aiming quite a bit higher once the Azure move is completed
- The addition of PS5 hardware into the service will greatly improve the user experience. Games will load instantly instead of having to wait minutes through load screens. Resolution can also be improved
- There was a rumor going around that Sony might utilize PS Now to let people demo games before purchasing on PSN. So for example you can instantly boot into the first 30 minutes or hour of a game, or even into a curated session the developer has made since Sony seem to be working on save states going by their patents. Put that behind the subscription fee as well
- Introduce a new subscription tier that merges PS Now and PS Plus. Sony currently has over 41 million PS Plus subscribers, transitioning as many of them as possible over to a more expensive tier that includes Now should be a goal of theirs
- They can introduce some content day 1 launching on the service. For example Shuhei Yoshida has his new indie initiative, so some of those games could launch day 1. Sony could also put SOME of their first party content day 1 on the service in instances where it makes sense. For example TLOU2's multiplayer mode, or Dreams, or MLB The Show. Also remember that Sony is going to give users the freedom to download specific parts of games (ie. multiplayer only or single player only) so they could choose to offer only the multiplayer modes of some of their games on the service. So if Horizon 2 has a robust multiplayer mode to go with its single player mode then put the multiplayer mode on the service day 1 to let it grow and flourish while the single player mode enjoys its millions upon millions of sales
- Market the shit out of it. PS Now had a bit of a marketing bump in the past year and it seems to have helped quite a bit. Keep that shit up but turn the dial to 11. You can have the greatest service but if you're not properly marketing it then it won't go anywhere.

That's off the top of my head. Sony has tons of ways they can position and build this service without having to dump all their first part content on it day 1. We just need to wait and see.

Edit
Almost forgot, they can also improve the instant game collection by offering more PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, PS Vita and PS4 content, on top of the PS5 stuff that will be there. Increase the size fo the IGC from about 900 games to 3 or 4 thousand games

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that 10m is a big deal at this point. IMO the vast majority of those subscribers are existing xbox owners who have converted to GP. I also believe that subscriber growth will be mostly from console owners who switch over to the console's respective service.

So that means Sony have the potential to beat GP because PS has a much bigger user base than xbox. Sony just need to convince PS users to subscribe to PSNow.

Here come the usual suspects...oh wait they're already here 😂. Do they get a notification everytime something Gamepass is posted ?

Maybe if they try harder some of the 10 million will cancel their subscription 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I'm not convinced that 10m is a big deal at this point. IMO the vast majority of those subscribers are existing xbox owners who have converted to GP. I also believe that subscriber growth will be mostly from console owners who switch over to the console's respective service.

So that means Sony have the potential to beat GP because PS has a much bigger user base than xbox. Sony just need to convince PS users to subscribe to PSNow.
I'd prefer them to focus on console sales and leave this subscription / loss leader stuff to Xbox. There's little to no profit and it continues this trend of taking ownership away from the consumer... plus PlayStation are just not suited to the service industry.

Had GP hurt the quality of AAA titles? Gears 5 seemed to be considered a return to form, by many.

sol_bad

They may have won the console space, but this is much bigger.

the people that don’t see the potential of this never will.

Why is it bigger?

*EDIT*
If Gamepass is killer and MS are killing it, why haven't MS hardware sales skyrocketed and Sony hardware sales tanked?

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Had GP hurt the quality of AAA titles? Gears 5 seemed to be considered a return to form, by many.

It is way too early to say that. Microsoft is in the phase of getting people subscribers. Just like the $1 per month fee - spending hundreds of millions of dollars on single AAA games for rental purposes is not a substantial business model.

I am not saying GamePass doesn't have a place in the industry. I'm just saying if the entire industry went this route in lieu of full-priced games, the quality of the big-budget titles would plummet.

Reactions: GHG

Great Hair

Banned
Gamepass, nice selection of games. 24 titles that interest me out 240 on XBone. Isnt the PC list shorter?
  • #IDARB
  • Absolver
  • ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug X
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
  • Afterparty
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Alien Isolation
  • Ark: Survival Evolved
  • Ashes Cricket
  • Astroneer
  • Bad North
  • Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • The Banner Saga
  • The Banner Saga 2
  • The Banner Saga 3
  • The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut
  • The Bard's Tale Trilogy
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • Battle Chasers: Nightwar
  • Black Desert Online
  • Blair Witch
  • Blazing Chrome
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  • The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
  • Bomber Crew
  • Borderlands 2
  • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
  • Braid
  • Bridge Constructor Portal
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • Children of Morta
  • Cities: Skylines
  • ClusterTruck
  • Costume Quest 2
  • Crackdown 3
  • Creature in the Well
  • Darksiders 3
  • de Blob
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Dead Cells
  • Dead Island Definitive Edition
  • Dead Rising 4
  • Death Squared
  • Demon's Tilt
  • Descenders
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • DiRT 4
  • DiRT Rally 2.0
  • Dishonored 2
  • Disneyland Adventures
  • Doom 2016
  • Double Dragon Neon
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Everspace
  • F1 2018
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fable II
  • Fable 3
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Farming Simulator 17
  • Felix the Ripper
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Fishing Sim World: Pro Tour
  • For the King
  • Frostpunk: Console Edition
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Full Metal Furies
  • Fusion Frenzy
  • Galaga Legions DX
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves
  • Gears of War
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Gears of War: Judgment
  • Gears of War 2
  • Gears of War 3
  • Gears of War 4
  • Gears 5
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
  • Goat Simulator
  • Gonner Blüeberry Edition
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
  • Guacamelee! 2
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Halo Reach
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo Wars: Definite Edition
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Hello Neighbor
  • Human Fall Flat
  • Hydro Thunder
  • Indivisible
  • Jetpac Refulled
  • Jump Force
  • Jackbox Party Pack 3
  • Kameo
  • Killer Instinct
  • Killer Instinct Definitive Edition
  • Killer Instinct Classic
  • Killer Instinct 2 Classic
  • Kingdom Come Deliverance
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match
  • LEGO Star Wars 3
  • LEGO Worlds
  • Lichtspeer: Double Speer Edition
  • Life is Strange 2: Episodes 1-5
  • Lonely Mountains: Downhill
  • Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
  • Mass Effect
  • Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
  • Metal Gear Solid HD Edition
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • Metal Gear Survive
  • Metal Slug 3
  • Metro 2033 Redux
  • Metro Last Light Redux
  • Metro Exodus
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of War
  • Minecraft
  • Minit
  • Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Moonlighter
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • MudRunner
  • Munchkin: Quacked Quest
  • Mutant Year Zero
  • MX vs ATX Reflex
  • My Friend Pedro
  • My Time at Portia
  • Naturo to Boruto: Shinobi Striker
  • Neon Chrome
  • Ninja Gaiden II
  • Old Man's Journey
  • Operencia: The Stolen Sun
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Outer Wilds
  • Overcooked! 2
  • Oxenfree
  • Pandemic: The Board Game
  • Pathologic 2
  • Payday 2: Crimewave Edition
  • Perfect Dark
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • eFootball PES 2020
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
  • Prey
  • Quantum Break
  • Rage 2
  • Rare Replay
  • ReCore Definitive Edition
  • Remnant: From the Ashes
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Rime
  • Riptide Renegade GP
  • Rise and Shine
  • Riverbond
  • Rocket League
  • Ruiner
  • Rush: A DisneyPixar Adventure
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • Samurai Showdown 2
  • ScreamRide
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Sea Salt
  • Secret Neighbor
  • Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
  • Shadow Warrior 2
  • Shenmue 1 and 2
  • Silence - The Whispered World 2
  • Slay The Spire
  • Smoke and Sacrifice
  • Sniper Elite 4
  • State of Decay: Year-One
  • State of Decay 2
  • State of Decay 2: Heartland
  • SteamWorld Dig 2
  • Stellaris
  • Subnautica
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Super Lucky's Tale
  • Superhot
  • Supermarket Shriek
  • Surviving Mars
  • Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet
  • Tacoma
  • Tekken 7
  • Terraria
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
  • The Escapists 2
  • The Flame in the Flood
  • The Gardens Between
  • The Golf Club 2
  • The LEGO Ninjago Movie Videogame
  • The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game
  • The Outer Worlds
  • The Talos Principle
  • The Turing Test
  • The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season
  • The Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season
  • The Walking Dead: Michonne
  • The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
  • The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
  • theHunter: Call of The Wild
  • Thimbleweed Park
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
  • Tracks: The Train Set Game
  • Two Point Hospital
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Vambrace: Cold Soul
  • Vampyr
  • Viva Pinata
  • Vita Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
  • Void Bastards
  • Wandersong
  • Wargroove
  • Wasteland Remastered
  • Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
  • We Happy Few
  • Westerado: Double Barreled
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  • World War Z
  • Worms W.M.D.
  • Yoku's Island Express
  • Yakuza 0
  • Yooka Laylee
  • Zoo Tycoon Ultimate Animal Collection
  • 105 PS Now games that interest me out of 715.
1. A Boy and His Blob
2. ABZU
3. Aces of the Luftwaffe
4. Ace It Out: A Game of Charades
5. Action Henk
6. Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchirion
7. Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders
8. Air Conflicts: Vietnam
9. Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers
10. Alchemic Jousts
11. Alex Kidd in Miracle World
12. Alien Rage
13. Alien Spidy
14. Alienation
15. Alpha Protocol
16. Altered Beast
17. Adios
18. Anarchy: Rush Hour
19. Anna: Extended Edition
20. Anondyne
21. Anomaly 2
22. Anomaly: Warzone Earth
23. Ape Escape 2
24. Aqua Panic
25. Ar No Surge: Ode to an Unborn Star
26. Aragami
27. SpArc: Twilight ofirits
28. Arcana Heart 3
29. Arcania: The Complete Tale
30. Armageddon Riders
31. Assault Suit Leynos
32. Assetto Corsa
33. Asura's Wrath
34. Atari Flashback Classics Vol 1
35. Atari Flashback Classics Vol 2
36. Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk
37. Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
38. Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland
39. Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea
40. Back to Bed
41. Baja Edge of Control HD
42. Bard's Gold
43. Baseball Riot
44. Batman: The Telltale Series
45. Batman: Arkham Asylum
46. Batman: Arkham City
47. Batman: Arkham Knight

48. Batman: Arkham Origins
49. Battalion Commander
50. Battle Chasers: Nightwar
51. Battle Princess of Arcadias
52. Battle Chess
53. Battle Worlds: Kronos
54. Battleborn
55. Battlefield 4
56. Battlefield Hardline
57. Ben 10
58. Bentley's Hackpack
59. Beyond: Two Souls
60. Big Sky Infinity
61. Binaries
62. Bionic Commando: Rearmed
63. Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2
64. BioShock
65. BioShock 2
66. BioShock Infinite
67. Black Knight Sword
68. Black Mirror
69. Bladestorm: Nightmare
70. Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
71. Blast 'Em Bunnies
72. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
73. BlazBlue: Chronophantasma
74. BlazBlue: Chronophantasma Extend
75. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift
76. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
77. Blaze Rush
78. Blood Bowl 2
79. Blood Knights
80. Bloodborne
81. Bloodrayne Betrayal
82. Bodycount
83. Bokosuka Wars 2
84. Bolt
85. Bomberman Ultra
86. Borderlands 2: Ultimate Edition
87. Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition
88. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
89. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Ultimate Edition
90. Bound
91. Bound by Flame
92. Braid
93. Brawlout
94. Brink
95. Broken Age
96. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
97. Brutal
98. Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back
99. Capcom Arcade Cabinet
100. Carmageddon Max Damage
101. Cars 2
102. Cars: Mater-National
103. Cars: Race-O-Rama
104. Castle Invasion: Throne Out
105. Castlestorm: Definitive Edition
106. Castlevania: Harmony Despair
107. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
108. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
109. Castlevania: Mirror of Fate HD
110. Catherine
111. Cel Damage HD
112. Champion Jockey
113. Chess Ultra
114. Cities: Skylines
115. Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus
116. Clockwork Tales of Glass and Ink
117. Clouds & Sheep 2
118. Control - Until 31st August, 2020
119. Costume Quest 2
120. CounterSpy
121. Crash Commando
122. Crazy Taxi
123. Crimsonland
124. Critter Crunch
125. Croixleur Sigma
126. Cuboid
127. D
128. Damnation
129. Dandara
130. Danger Zone
131. Dangerous Golf
132. Dark Arcana: The Carnival
133. Dark Chronicle
134. Dark Cloud

135. Dark Mist
136. Dark Void
137. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
138. Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition
139. Darkstalkers Resurrection
140. Day of the Tentacle Remastered
141. Daytona USA

142. Dead Island Definitive Edition
143. Dead Island Retro Revenge
144. Dead Island Riptide
145. Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition
146. Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
147. Dead Space 3
148. Deadlight Director's Cut
149. Deadly Premonition: The Directors Cut
150. Death Track: Resurrection
151. deBlob
152. deBlob 2
153. deTuned
154. Deception IV: Blood Ties
155. Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess
156. Defense Grid 2
157. Desert Child
158. Destroy All Humans!
159. Devil May Cry HD Collection
160. Devil May Cry 4
161. DiRT 4
162. DiRT Rally
163. Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
164. Disgaea 4
165. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
166. Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness
167. Dishonored

168. Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
169. Disney Universe: Ultimate Edition
170. Disney Pixar: Toy Story Mania
171. Disney Pixar: Brave
172. Doki Doki Universe
173. Don Bradman Cricket 16
174. Don't Die Mr Robot
175. DOOM
176. Double Dragon Neon
177. Duke Nukem Forever
178. Dungeon 3
179. Dynamite Fishing World Games
180. Dynasty Warriors 6
181. Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires
182. Dynasty Warriors 7
183. Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires
184. Dynasty Warriors 7 Xtreme Legends
185. Dynasty Warriors 8
186. Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends
187. Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce
188. 8-Bit Armies
189. Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
190. Earth's Dawn
191. Eat Them!
192. Echochrome
193. Electronic Super Joy
194. Elefunk
195. Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek
196. Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood
197. Entwined
198. Escape Plan
199. Ethan Meteor Hunter
200. Eufloria
201. Eve Valkyrie Warzone
202. Eventide: Slavic Fable
203. Everybody's Golf
204. Everybody's Golf: World Tour
205. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
206. Everybody's Tennis
207. Exile's End
208. Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
209. Extreme Exorcism
210. F1 Race Stars
211. F1 2014
212. F1 2015
213. F1 2016
214. F1 2017
215. F1 2019
216. Faery: Legends of Avalon
217. Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force
218. Fallout 3
219. Fallout 4
220. Fallout: New Vegas
221. Fantavision
222. Farming Simulator 15
223. Farming Simulator 17
224. Farming Simulator 19
225. Fat Princess Adventures
226. FEAR
227. Fighting Vipers
228. Final Exam
229. Final Fight Double Impact
230. Flow
231. Flower
232. Fluster Cluck
233. For Honor
234. Forbidden Siren
235. Frogger Returns
236. G-Force
237. Gal-Gun: Double Peace
238. Garou: Mark of the Wolves
239. Gem Smashers
240. Genji
241. Get Even
242. Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams: Director's Cut
243. Go Puzzle
244. God of War (2005)
245. God of War 2
246. God of War 3 Remastered
247. God of War Ascension
248. God of War Chains of Olympus
249. God of War Ghost of Sparta
250. Golden Axe

251. Grand Ages Medieval
252. Grand Kingdom
253. Gravity Crash
254. Gravity Rush Remastered
255. Gravity Rush 2

256. Greg Hastings Paintball 2
257. GRID Autosport
258. Grim Fandango Remastered
259. Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride
260. Guacamelee!
261. Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
262. Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi
263. Hamilton's Great Adventure
264. Hamster Ball
265. Hardware Rivals
266. Heavenly Sword
267. Heavy Fire: Afghanistan
268. Heavy Rain
269. Helldivers
270. Hollow Knight
271. Hohokum
272. Horizon: Zero Dawn
273. Hotel Transylvania 3: Monsters Overboard
274. House of the Dead 3
275. House of the Dead 4
276. House of the Dead Overkill

277. How to Survive Storm Warning Edition
278. Hunted: The Demon's Forge
279. Hunter's Trophy 2: America
280. Hunter's Trophy 2: Australia
281. Hustle Kings
282. I, Zombie
283. I Am Bread
284. Ibb & Obb
285. ICO
286. In Space We Brawl
287. inFAMOUS
288. inFAMOUS 2

289. inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood
290. Injustice: Gods Among Us: Ultimate Edition
291. Inside by Radio
292. Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom
293. Ironcast
294. Jetpack Joyride Deluxe
295. Joe Danger 2
296. Joe Dever's Lone Wolf
297. Journey
298. Judge Dee: The City God Case
299. Just Cause 4 - Until 6th October, 2020
300. Kickbeat: Special Edition
301. Killzone
302. Killzone: Shadow Fall
303. Killzone 2
304. Killzone 3

305. Kinetica
306. King Oddball
307. Kingdom New Lands
308. Knack
309. Knytt Underground
310. Krinkle Krusher
311. Kromaia
312. Kung-Fu Rabbit
313. Learning with the PooYoos
314. Legasista
315. Legend of Kay Anniversary
316. LEGO Batman The Video Game
317. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
318. LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
319. LEGO City Undercover
320. LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
321. LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
322. LEGO Movie Video Game
323. LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
324. LEGO Star Wars III
325. LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
326. LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
327. LEGO Indiana Jones: The Adventure Continues
328. LEGO The Ninjago Movie Video Game
329. LEGO Worlds - Until 4th August, 2020
330. Lemmings
331. Leo's Fortune
332. Limbo
333. Linger in Shadows
334. Lock's Quest
335. LocoRoco Cocoreccho!
336. LocoRoco
337. Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
338. Lords of the Fallen
339. Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions
340. Lost Planet 2
341. Lost Planet 3

342. Lost Sea
343. Lovely Planet
344. LUMO
345. Machinarium
346. Mafia 2
347. Mafia 3
348. Magic Orbz
349. Magicka 2
350. Magus
351. Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom
352. Mantis Burn Racing
353. Mars: War Logs
354. Marvel's Spider-Man - Until 7th July, 2020
355. Mastercube
356. Mega Man 9
357. Mega Man 10

358. Megadimension Neptuina VII
359. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
360. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
361. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

362. Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes
363. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
364. Metal Slug 3
365. Metro 2033: Redux
366. Metro Last Light: Redux

367. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
368. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
369. Minutes
370. Mirror's Edge
371. Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae
372. Momonga Pinball Adventures
373. Monkey Island 2
374. Monster Energy Supercross: The Official Video Game
375. Mordheim: City of the Damned
376. Mortal Kombat
377. Mortal Kombat X
378. MotoGP 15
379. MotoGP 17
380. Motorcycle Club
381. MotorStorm Apocalypse
382. MotorStorm RC

383. Mount & Blade: War Band
384. Mouse Craft
385. Mud Runner
386. MX vs ATV Alive
387. MX vs ATV Untamed
388. MX vs ATV Supercross Encore
389. MX vs ATV Reflex
390. MXGP
391. MXGP 2
392. MXGP 3
393. Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics
394. NASCAR 3: Last Round
395. Natural Doctrine
396. Need for Speed Rivals
397. Neon Chrome
398. Neuro Voider
399. Nidhogg
400. Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart
401. Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call
402. NiGHTS into Dreams
403. Nights of Azure
404. Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
405. Ninja Gaiden Sigma
406. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
407. Ninja Pizza Girl
408. No Time to Explain
409. Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere
410. Nova 111
411. Numblast
412. 100ft Robot Golf
413. Obliteracers
414. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
415. Okage: Shadow King
416. OlliOlli
417. OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood
418. Omega Quintet
419. Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
420. Operation Flashpoint: Red River
421. Order Up!!
422. Overcooked 2
423. Overlord
424. Overlord: Fellowship of Evil
425. Overord: Raising Hell
426. Painkiller: Hell & Damnation
427. Pang Adventures
428. Papo & Yo
429. Payday 2: Crimewave Edition
430. Persona 5
431. Pharaonic
432. Phineas & Ferb Across the 2nd Dimension
433. Pid
434. Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition
435. Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End
436. Pix the Cat
437. Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic
438. Pixel Piracy
439. PixelJunk Eden Encore
440. PixelJunk Monsters Encore
441. PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap
442. PixelJunk Shooter
443. PixelJunk Shooter 2
444. PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
445. PixelJunk Side Scroller
446. Piyotama
447. Plague Road
448. Planet Minigolf
449. Planets Under Attack
450. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
451. Ponch
452. Pool Nation
453. Port Royale 3
454. Prey
455. Primal
456. Proteus
457. Pumped BMX Plus
458. Puppeteer
459. Pure Chess
460. Pure Hold'Em
461. Pure Pool
462. Puzzle Agent
463. Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
464. Q*Bert Reboot
465. Quantum Theory
466. R-Type Dimensions
467. Rad Rodgers
468. Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic
469. RAGE
470. Ragnarok Odyssey Ace
471. Raiden IV: Overkill
472. Raiden V: Director's Cut
473. Rain
474. Rainbow Moon
475. Rainbow Six: Siege - Until 2nd November, 2020
476. Rapala Fishing: Pro Series
477. Ratatouille
478. Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
479. Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
480. Ratchet & Clank: Nexus
481. Ratchet & Clank: Q-Force
482. Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty

483. Real Farm
484. Realms of Ancient War
485. Rebel Galaxy
486. Red Dead Redemption
487. Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
488. Red Faction
489. Red Faction 2

490. Red Faction Guerrilla
491. Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered
492. Red Johnson's Chronicles
493. Renegade Ops
494. Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
495. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
496. Resident Evil Revelations 2
497. Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
498. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
499. Resident Evil: Revelations
500. Resistance 3
501. Resogun

502. Retro City Rampage DX
503. Retro/Grade
504. Reus
505. Ricochet HD
506. RIDE
507. RIDE 3
508. Riff: Everyday Shooter
509. Rise of the Argonauts
510. Risen 3: Titan Lords
511. RIVE
512. Rocket League
513. Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
514. Rogue Galaxy
515. Rogue Stormers
516. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
517. Rotastic
518. Runner 2
519. Sacred Citadel
520. Saints Row 2
521. Saints Row 4: Remastered
522. Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell
523. Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space
524. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
525. Samural Warriors 4
526. Savage Moon
527. Seasons After Fall
528. Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo
529. Shadow Complex Remastered
530. Shadow of the Beast
531. Shadow of the Colossus
532. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Until 31st August, 2020

533. Shadwen
534. Shatter
535. Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter
536. Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom
537. Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
538. Silent Hill HD Collection
539. Sine Mora EX
540. Siren Blood Curse
541. Skullgirls Encore
542. Skyfighter
543. Sky Dive
544. Sky Scrappers
545. Slime-San: Superslime Edition
546. Sly Cooper HD Collection
547. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
548. Smash Cars
549. Snake Ball
550. Sniper Elite 3
551. Sniper Elite 4
552. Sniper Elite V2
553. Sniper Ghost Warrior
554. Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
555. Soldner-X
556. Soldner-X2: Final Frontier
557. SOMA
558. Sonic Adventure
559. Sonic Adventure 2
560. Sonic CD
561. Sonic Generations
562. Sonic The Fighters
563. Sonic the Hedgehog 4
564. Sonic Unleashed
565. Soul Axiom
566. Sound Shapes
567. Space Ace
568. Sparkle 2
569. Sparkle Unleashed
570. Spec Ops: The Line
571. Spelunky
572. Split/Second
573. Square Heroes
574. Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
575. Star Wars Racer Revenge
576. Star Wars Bounty Hunter
577. Star Wars The Force Unleashed
578. Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2
579. Stardust Galaxy Warriors
580. Starhawk
581. Starwahl
582. Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark
583. Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
584. Steep
585. Steredenn: Binary Stars
586. Stick It to the Man
587. Stikbold
588. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People
589. Strider
590. Strike Suit Zero
591. Styx: Shards of Darkness
592. Super Exploding Zoo
593. Super Hang-On
594. Super Mega Baseball
595. Super Star Wars
596. Super Stardust Ultra
597. Super Toy Cars
598. Surgeon Simulator: A&E Anniversary Edition
599. Syberia
600. Syberia 2
601. T
602. Tachyon Project
603. Tales from Space: About a Blob
604. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
605. Tales of Monkey Island
606. Tearaway Unfolded

607. Tennis in the Face
608. Terraria
609. Teslagrad
610. Tetraminos
611. The Awakened Fate Ultimatum
612. The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
613. The Bug Butcher
614. The Darkness
615. The Darkness 2
616. The Dwarves
617. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
618. The Elder Scrolls Online

619. The Evil Within
620. The Evil Within 2
621. The Final Station
622. The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA Tour
623. The Guided Fate Paradox
624. The Keeper of 4 Elements
625. The King of Fighters XIII
626. The Last Guy
627. The Last of Us
628. The Last of Us: Left Behind
629. The Last Tinker: City of Colors
630. The Metronomicon: Slay the Dance Floor
631. The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief
632. The Raven Remastered
633. The Secret of Monkey Island
634. The Spectrum Retreat
635. The Surge
636. The Swapper
637. The Swindle
638. The Town of Light
639. The Treasures of Montezuma 4
640. The Unfinished Swan
641. The Witch and the Hundred Knight
642. The Wolf Among Us
643. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
644. This War of Mine
645. Thomas Was Alone
646. Tiny Troopers: Joint Ops
647. Titan Attacks
648. Titan Quest
649. Toki Tori 2+
650. Tokyo Jungle
651. Tokyo Xanadu
652. Torment: Tides of Numenera
653. Touhou Scarlet Curiosity
654. Toukiden 2
655. Toukiden Kiwami
656. Tour de France 2017
657. Toy Home
658. Toybox Turbos
659. Trash Panic
660. Tricky Towers
661. Trine
662. Trinity: Souls of Z'ill Oll
663. Tron Evolution
664. Tron Run/r
665. Tropico 5
666. Truck Racer
667. Twisted Metal
668. Two Worlds 2

669. Ultra Street Fighter IV
670. Ultratron
671. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
672. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
673. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
674. Until Dawn

675. Urban Trial: Freestyle
676. Valentino Rossi: The Game
677. Vampyr
678. Vegas Party
679. Velocibox
680. Velocity 2X
681. Velocity Ultra
682. Vessel
683. Victor Vran: Overkill Edition
684. Vikings: Wolves of Midgard
685. Virtua Fighter 2
686. Virtua Fighter: Final Showdown
687. Wakeboarding HD
688. Warhammer End Times: Vermintide
689. Warriors All Stars
690. Warriors: Legends of Troy
691. Warriors Orochi 3
692. Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
693. Wet
694. When Vikings Attack
695. Whispering Willows
696. White Knight Chronicles International Edition
697. White Knight Chronicles 2: Director's Cut
698. Wild Arms 3

699. Wild Guns Reloaded
700. Wolfenstein: The New Order
701. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
702. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

703. World to the West
704. Wuppo
705. X-Blades
706. XCOM 2
707. XCOM: Enemy Within
708. Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
709. Yakuza 4
710. Yakuza 5

711. Yama Yama
712. Yesterday Origins
713. Zack Zero
714. Zen Pinball 2
715. Zeno Clash 2
716. Ziggurat
717. Zombie Tycoon 2: Brainhov's Revenge
718. Zombie Vikings

Overall im more inclined with the offer on PSNow (not knowing which ones are streamed or download titles). I believe both service cost the same each month. In terms of quality, both have terrific good, albeit old, games ... and in terms of quantity PSNow wins, you get a lot more for $10 or was it 20? /mo.

jaysius

Banned
Netflix of gaming is the perfect analogy for what it's becoming... EARLY DAYS Netflix that is. Games that are so bug filled and that are unoptimized that they crash and that some of them are so raw they haven't even bothered to change the fonts from the one the creation tools default to.

Game Pass had so much promise when it started, we were getting AAA games, but then 1st party games like Gears 5 was "Direct to Gamepass" and the quality was pure shit, buggy, bad buddy AI(that didn't even know how to fight bosses or deal with some situations like the breaking ice scenario) awful story, unoptimized.

People try to tell me that there is no such thing as this "Directed to Gamepass" quality game, because they're either fanbois or in complete denial.

Outer Worlds, the writing was garbage, the game was unoptimized(some texture actually never loaded), the story was dull(consequences didn't really matter), the combat lost all semblance of balance mid-end game, and it was buggy.

Some of these games, it's less of "HEH I've got so many great games, I pity the people on other platforms having to pay for this " to "OH boy I can't believe people on other platforms actually would have to have paid full price for his".

Some games come to gamepass because they're just husks that are meant to be filled with DLC, games that are from great series, like Forza Horizon 4 they've watered this down so much you don't even have to WIN RACES anymore, you can place DEAD LAST and the game doesn't care, it allows you to progress, it's bad enough the AI does the EXACT SAME PACK patterns EVERY RACE. FH 4 feels like a F2P premium more than a game from a series which was why I bought an Xbox One in the first place.

RIght now Netflix is producing some gems(like Ozark) but it's still full of trash.

Also the quality of the GAMES WITH GOLD which we do pay for btw, it's built into the sub fee, it's not FREE, has really suffered dramatically, we're getting real bottom tier junk, it's to make the GamePass look better. Sony has really leaned into this hard on the Plus "free" games very quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom