• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft fans on PS4 can now play with friends on Xbox, Window, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android and Gear VR

BionicRoo

Minecraft fans who play on PlayStation 4 can now team up with friends on platforms including Xbox One, Microsoft has announced.

A new update will let gamers play the popular block-building title together in shared worlds regardless of whether they are using PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows 10, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android and Gear VR.

PS4 gamers will also be able to access the Minecraft Marketplace, an official, online shop that sells new worlds, skins, mini-games and mash-up packs. Any purchases can be carried across platforms, so buying the Legacy Skin Pack on an Xbox will let gamers use it on a PS4, for example.

The new update applies to the unified Bedrock version of Minecraft and will install automatically and free of charge for PS4 players the next time they start the game. The free update will also never expire and all game purchases after today for PS4 will always be for this new version.

Full story here.

minecraft-ps4-1.jpg

Vawn

Banned
I hope Sony didn't cave and allow requiring an Xbox Live account while playing on PS4?

ethomaz

Banned
Are there option to turn it off?
And I don't want to be forced to create or use a Live account.

Well I have the game but I just don't play it for years already.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I cant wait to unlock xbox achievements and trophies simultaneously on my playstation
I hope Sony didn't cave and allow requiring an Xbox Live account while playing on PS4?
Im fairly certain that It will be a requirement (specifically for cross-play and online features like minecraft worlds. Offline/standard MP modes shouldnt need it, or atleast it doesnt on the switch.)

But considering it even mentions xbox marketplace support it does seem very obvious. Which shouldnt be surprising, you do need to use an activision account to cross-play in CoD or an epic account to cross-play in Fortnite.

Last edited:

Includes a LittleBigPlanet mashup pack (If it is like the Nintendo mash-up pack, it won't be available to be used via cross-play)
- Cross-play requires a free Xbox account.
- Will probably be announced during State of Play on 12/10.
- Just like the other versions, Xbox will probably get Minecraft for PlayStation 4 achievements.
- No details on free upgrades yet, but if it is like it was on Xbox. You get a free digital license if you played the physical copy for 5 hours or had a free upgrade if you already owned the digital version.

Last edited:

Neofire

Includes a LittleBigPlanet mashup pack (If it is like the Nintendo mash-up pack, it won't be available to be used via cross-play)
- Cross-play requires a free Xbox account.
- Will probably be announced during State of Play on 12/10.
- Just like the other versions, Xbox will probably get Minecraft for PlayStation 4 achievements.
- No details on free upgrades yet, but if it is like it was on Xbox. You get a free digital license if you played the physical copy for 5 hours or had a free upgrade if you already owned the digital version.

MS trying get those MAU's up and it's free advertisement 🤷🏿‍♂️

-Arcadia-

Banned
So can i transfer my world right into Bedrock? Cause me and my wife don't want to start over

This was the case when the Switch version changed, and should be here.

However, I do remember some glitches popping up, so it might be wise to keep an eye on that before playing the new version. I think your world just duplicates too, leaving the one on the old version intact, but don’t quote me on that.

Doczu

Just downloaded the update and the Bedrock edition is hit and miss. Mostly miss imo.

A whole lot new graphic options. Sucks that the fov is fucked and i can't it right. This may be connected with the gigantic item that you hold. Who thought this is good?
The performance just isn't right. In splitscreen the player characters are lagging when they move. Just enough stutter to make your gears grind.
But the worst offender (for now) is the fucked up crafting system. You now have to be empty handed to use the workbench - why? And the crafting system itself is un-intuitive.

I know this may sound like i'm an old man yelling at clouds, but my wife claims the same on all the points i brought up.
Can't wait to see what else is changed beyond recognition.

Edit: so it was a bug that i couldn't use the workbench with my hand full. Now it works 🤷🏻‍♂️
But the rest is still off.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You wanted to see cross play years ago btw huge opportunity if you have a friend on another console.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Hey, just wanted to ask, is there a way for me to access a world that I created on Switch, on the new PS4 version? Realms, probably, yeah, but I’m looking for something more... free.

Top Bottom