• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mini LED to be Sony's 2024 flag ship TV

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ooooh, interesting.

You know, they may know a thing or two about image quality and TV tech.

That, or their ridiculously overpriced OLEDs failed to reach sales expectations.
I doubt any of these are the reasons why Sony is going in a different direction

Its likely they know OLED has flaws that can likely never be overcome especially the brighter they try to push the tech

Maybe if you view notepad on full screen in hdr...
Meh abl is literally what is killing oled. Everything else about the displays is great I think, but abl is horrible, on all of them. Also, lots of people think abl only kicks in when there’s only white on the screen but that’s bull.

An Oled that wouldn’t use abl, and can do a peak brightness of 1500 nits sustained, now that would be beautiful. And maybe do something about motion too, so you can make 30fps somewhat acceptable to display on oled. LCD looks way better using 30fps games because of the sucky tech, which apparently looks better for the eyes in that case.

In the case of black levels, its what you dont see, no?
NWiSi3G.gif
LOL

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I've always wanted a Sony television. Their motion handling, image processing, out of the box color accuracy, and upscaling all still seem to be unmatched.

I love my LG C2 but I'll definitely keep my eyes open to see what Sony has up their sleeve for my next upgrade.

I will say that I don't really care at all about the brightness though. My C2 is plenty bright for me, and it's not even the brighter QD OLED/ MLA OLED tech like the new OLEDs are.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Or maybe you just prefer an overall brighter TV ;)
no. it's bright enough for me....
Meh abl is literally what is killing oled. Everything else about the displays is great I think, but abl is horrible, on all of them. Also, lots of people think abl only kicks in when there’s only white on the screen but that’s bull.

An Oled that wouldn’t use abl, and can do a peak brightness of 1500 nits sustained, now that would be beautiful. And maybe do something about motion too, so you can make 30fps somewhat acceptable to display on oled. LCD looks way better using 30fps games because of the sucky tech, which apparently looks better for the eyes in that case.
ABL is worse on paper than in real use.
Normally, when you play games, the flashbang will still be bright because it's short. And any real scenario environments don't show abl issue.
In reality, humans are not capable of detecting changes in brightness so easily. If you set peak to 600 or 800, you won't notice the difference most likely.
All these numbers talk and we forget to focus on what's really going on. The new tv pushing 1000 nits is not going to look ANY brighter to anyone compared to 800 nits tv. It's not detectable. And even if, how do you compare it? Eyes are not cameras and adapt. Movies and games do not push max nits on all areas. Only on some parts. Many games use the typical sdr to hdr grading where game is graded to 100 nits sdr floor and bright elements, sky, light sources are adjusted to higher nits values.

The flowers outside on the ground at 500 nits and they don't sear your eyes. adaptability. If you look at the window, it looks like a bright portal on a sunny day. And when you are outside and look inside, i's a dark cavern.

It's hard to show examples on pictures but Look at uncharted 4:
It's super bright. I have NO IDEA howmany nits that opening is but when you play at night or just with room dimmed down or some light in the corner, your eyes are adapted to room ambience level. Then when that "weak 200-800 nits" hit you, it just looks very bright. no rocket science here
p6qjPrI.jpg

When you move camera closer, you see there is a ton of detail in there. The image from further away just shows how bright this screen area is realative to whole screen. And that's a bit opening.
PInmIcA.jpg

I real world use, oled looks like this
bo6M5kZ.jpg

Nvoxfs5.jpg

lHHbsS8.jpg

k7oGWxc.jpg

dotnotbot

Ooooh, interesting.

You know, they may know a thing or two about image quality and TV tech.

That, or their ridiculously overpriced OLEDs failed to reach sales expectations.

I doubt any of these are the reasons why Sony is going in a different direction

Its likely they know OLED has flaws that can likely never be overcome especially the brighter they try to push the tech

The reality is it's very difficult for Sony to compete in OLED market so they decided to go with miniLED instead as there are still some ways they can improve them on their own so they can market those advancements as their own technology and have some clearer advantage over competition. There's little they can add on their own to OLEDs and even if they do, most people will think it's not worth the premium over cheapest LGs. It doesn't mean OLED is a dead end and let's not forget that they had OLED as a mastering monitor (HX310 X300) before.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The reality is it's very difficult for Sony to compete in OLED market so they decided to go with miniLED instead as there are still some ways they can improve them on their own so they can market those advancements as their own technology and have some clear advantage over competition and offer something truly unique. There's little they can add on their own to OLEDs and even if they do, most people will think it's not worth the premium over cheapest LGs. It doesn't mean OLED is a dead end and let's not forget that they had OLED as a mastering monitor (HX310) before.

The HX310 is not an OLED.

Isn't this just inherently inferior to OLED?

I'm about to upgrade from a TCL backlit to LG C3, and I don't understand why any LCD would be orerabl) preferable to OLED.
Yeah, I mean people keep talking about “hey man, I have a tv outside and it’s super sunny here in the Caribbean, so I need an LCD tv because it’s better in the sun”.

Fuck that noise. We invented a solution. It’s called curtains. Blooming sucks ass, the not-black blacks suck ass, ghosting sucks.

I’ll stick with oled.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Maybe if you view notepad on full screen in hdr...
You know Ghostwire: Tokyo has only 2 settings for HDR settings, 1000nits or 2000nits
How do you go about that when your TV doesn't even reach the minimum setting 🤔
Serious question btw.

rofif

Banned
You know Ghostwire: Tokyo has only 2 settings for HDR settings, 1000nits or 2000nits
How do you go about that when your TV doesn't even reach the minimum setting 🤔
Serious question btw.
I want to play that game! Have it on my shelf.
2 ways to go about it:
("proper" way)Set tv to hgig and game to 1000nits. close enough to 800. no difference.
And what I will probably do - set game to 2000 and enable DTM on the tv.
Well, 1st option with DTM should also be good but for set it and forget it, I am setting it to max and tv to dtm, yes

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The reality is it's very difficult for Sony to compete in OLED market so they decided to go with miniLED instead as there are still some ways they can improve them on their own so they can market those advancements as their own technology and have some clearer advantage over competition. There's little they can add on their own to OLEDs and even if they do, most people will think it's not worth the premium over cheapest LGs. It doesn't mean OLED is a dead end and let's not forget that they had OLED as a mastering monitor (HX310 X300) before.
I mean the same can be said about mini LED as there are becoming a lot of decent low priced options out there

Not too long ago saw a Hisense U8 and was honestly impressed with a sub $1000 65" TV

The thing is people missing on this new Sony TV is flagship

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I bet rofif rofif didn't have no trouble with Forspoken Demo when it he played it, while the rest of us was like
My Eyes Pain GIF

reinking

Gold Member
Not too long ago saw a Hisense U8 and was honestly impressed with a sub $1000 65" TV
I recently bought a U8K when I gave another TV to someone. For the price, and with a little tweaking, it is impressive. It is not going to outperform a higher end LG, Samsung or Sony, but it is sufficient for my current needs while I wait for the price of premium Mini-LEDs to drop. With this news it looks like that is going to happen in a few years when it is time for this one to get donated or moved to a lesser used room.

S0ULZB0URNE

Yes but I like sitting off angle from my tv on purpose, like all the time I try to have a viewing angle of at least 150 degrees from sitting in front because reasons. Like they say, no one says viewing angles are great, but then again, you would only need to care about that if you live in a tiny apartment or something with 15 people sitting in a radius of about 1 meter from the tv.

Let’s see how this tv pans out, it sounds awesome. Always love Sony for creating the best tv tech. They are making better TVs using LG panels than LG itself. I think that speaks for a big part already. If Sonys top model chooses another tech than oled they do it for a reason and not stupidity.
If you care about off angle this might not be for you.

S0ULZB0URNE

30FPS?

I didn't accept 30fps long before i bought OLED. With pc you can avoid incompetent devs most of the time. I'm forced to play 30fps game like once a year (FFXVI...)

Apparently 4000 nits straight into your eyes!

fea6ae573265e4b45d36a58f3ceaf172.gif
MOVIES.
You do know some people want to watch 24hz movies and some want to play retro games.

dolabla

I like this idea a lot. OLED has its flaws with brightness and burn in. I would like to see Sony push mini-led to its absolute limits (contrast, blacks, etc). I switched to mini-led (Samsung) last year from OLED (Sony) and I have no regrets. If I like what they show off, I may sell my Samsung and get it. It would be cool if they made them all the way down to the 43" size, but I'm expecting 55" (maybe 50") and above.

For lit rooms -> LCD, for dark rooms, OLED.

Thats all theres to it. Any of you will ever agree on which flaws are better or worse than others.
A95L in a fully lit room with windows to my left and behind me. 2023 QD-OLED/WOLED pretty much stopped the brightness debate unless you’re watching TV outside or with absolutely no light control. Mini LED can blast white test patterns, but the nits do not hold up in real content.

The TV definitely has a few flaws, but it’s not anything the majority of people would ever notice in normal viewing.
98PFCYU.jpg

As someone who works in this industry, this has nothing to do with the long term viability of OLED or Sony’s investment in that area. Sony is doing this because their last flagship became widely available just a few months ago. They also haven’t release a flagship Z series in a few years, so it’s due for a refresh.

EDIT: let me just add before the brigade comes after me - mini LED or C-series LG OLEDs are probably the best picks for the majority of people considering the price/performance differences and that most people just want the biggest tv for their budget. That said, A95L/G3/S95C are objectively the best, brightest, and most feature complete TVs on the market with a noticeable jump in quality over every other consumer display available (microLED excluded).

Last edited:

tommib

I've always wanted a Sony television. Their motion handling, image processing, out of the box color accuracy, and upscaling all still seem to be unmatched.

I love my LG C2 but I'll definitely keep my eyes open to see what Sony has up their sleeve for my next upgrade.

I will say that I don't really care at all about the brightness though. My C2 is plenty bright for me, and it's not even the brighter QD OLED/ MLA OLED tech like the new OLEDs are.
I got a A90J last year and the colour accuracy for Dolby Vision cinema is outstanding. It put me off of going to the cinema. It’s like having the best theatre at home. The Bravia Core app also has automatic calibration for specific films and it’s a showstopper really.

It’s great for the PS5 with automatic HDR calibration and no dimming, even with VRR and 120hz games. To me, coming from a very old HDR LCD it’s like being in the future. GT7 on that set amazes me everyday.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

I'm excited to see this. Will not consider buying any TV this year till I see what Sony got cooking with their flagship mini led this year. That said, my no1 priority is still motion. Particularly at lower frame rate. I'm not as high on this brightness war these tvs are having.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I turned off ABL in my samsung s95b

If it burn it burns i'll just buy another tv when it happens.

Looks glorious lol

So Sony's reason for focusing on mini-led has more to do with their upcoming master monitor 🤔 apparently it's 4,000 nits and their future movies are going to be mastered @ extremely high nits. I love my OLED but as a technology I doubt it'll ever pass 2,000 nits and that presents a problem for the future of entertainment because games will start being mastered at much higher nits as well. Currently QD-OLED/ MLA is objectively the best display tech but in 3-5 years it might be mini-led I'm hearing micro-led as a consumer device is at minimum 10 years away interesting times ahead we'll see if Sony can capture that trinitron magic again with this mini-led I can't believe I'm getting excited for LCD tech again.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
So Sony's reason for focusing on mini-led has more to do with their upcoming master monitor 🤔 apparently it's 4,000 nits and their future movies are going to be mastered @ extremely high nits. I love my OLED but as a technology I doubt it'll ever pass 2,000 nits and that presents a problem for the future of entertainment because games will start being mastered at much higher nits as well. Currently QD-OLED/ MLA is objectively the best display tech but in 3-5 years it might be mini-led I'm hearing micro-led as a consumer device is at minimum 10 years away interesting times ahead we'll see if Sony can capture that trinitron magic again with this mini-led I can't believe I'm getting excited for LCD tech again.

Isn't Dolby Vision already mastered at 4000 nits? We shouldn't let OLED's deficiencies hold progress back.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Didn't you hear Heisenberg. Apparently like Sony, Dolby is in on the conspiracy to make OLED tech look bad. Surprised Dolby is going through such lengths to help Sony sell Mini LEDs.
I expect come CES we are going to see some insanely bright TVs and that 115" Hisense Linus has 5k nits in SDR

I am glad some people are totally happy with their HDR produced by OLED TVs but if I can grab something like what he has that hits 5k nits and beyond from here in the US later this year

One size does not fit all here

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I expect come CES we are going to see some insanely bright TVs and that 115" Hisense Linus has 5k nits in SDR

I am glad some people are totally happy with their HDR produced by OLED TVs but if I can grab something like what he has that hits 5k nits and beyond from here in the US later this year

One size does not fit all here

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

I would love for them to offer the UX in 65" in the states. Would replace the QN90A with it.

Isn't Dolby Vision already mastered at 4000 nits? We shouldn't let OLED's deficiencies hold progress back.
HDR 10, HDR 10+, and Dolby Vision all go up to 4000 nits with technical capability up to 10,000 nits but virtually all Hollywood studio content is mastered up to 1,000 nits due to how human vision works. The baseline median brightness for all SDR and HDR content is supposed to be 150 nits in a pitch black movie theater auditorium, at that brightness level, the highest practical brightness you can make HDR highlights is about 1,000 nits.

Beyond that and you will begin to cause visible discomfort in humans and their pupils will contract in much the same way going outside on a sunny day after watching a movie at a theater will make you squint getting the sudden brightness change. This is not ideal for enjoying a movie, so actually trying to blast 4,000 nits of HDR brightness at someone is not going to realistically happen.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
HDR 10, HDR 10+, and Dolby Vision all go up to 4000 nits with technical capability up to 10,000 nits but virtually all Hollywood studio content is mastered up to 1,000 nits due to how human vision works. The baseline median brightness for all SDR and HDR content is supposed to be 150 nits in a pitch black movie theater auditorium, at that brightness level, the highest practical brightness you can make HDR highlights is about 1,000 nits.

Beyond that and you will begin to cause visible discomfort in humans and their pupils will contract in much the same way going outside on a sunny day after watching a movie at a theater will make you squint getting the sudden brightness change. This is not ideal for enjoying a movie, so actually trying to blast 4,000 nits of HDR brightness at someone is not going to realistically happen.

So Dolby and Sony haven't taken any of this into consideration in their research and intent to master content at 4000 nits?

So Dolby and Sony haven't taken any of this into consideration in their research and intent to master content at 4000 nits?
The important spec that no one talks about is brightness in a 100% window, i.e. full screen white. To meet the requirements of 1,000 nits when the screen is just a white field, you need more effective brightness in a limited size field. About 4,000 nits in a 10% window, the commonly used spec to sound impressive, can also deliver 1,000 nits in a 100% window without ABL.

Basically it's a dumb spec war to have impressive sounding numbers on something that doesn't actually matter. No content will actually be mastered to actually try and send 4,000 nits to your eyeballs in the highlights. I hope. Of course video games are a different story, those can go as bright as you want. We'll see how it goes with that.

Top Bottom