• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri State Senator Urged To Resign Over Her ‘Hope’ For Trump’s Assassination

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/missouri-state-senator-trump-assassination_us_59960863e4b0a2608a6b107e

A Missouri state senator says she has no plans to resign ― despite loud calls from within her own party to do so ― after she said she hoped President Donald Trump would be assassinated.

Sen. Maria Chappelle-Nadal made the comment on her Facebook page Thursday morning in response to a thread she’d started out of frustration over the white supremacist violence last weekend in Charlottesville, Virginia.

“I hope Trump is assassinated!” she wrote on her page, which is not open to the public. While she deleted the post soon after, a screenshot of it nevertheless quickly gained traction, earning rebukes from across the political spectrum.

U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) issued a straightforward statement: “I condemn it. It’s outrageous. And she should resign.”

That sentiment was echoed by Stephen Webber, chairman of the Missouri Democratic Party.

“State Sen. Chappelle-Nadal’s comments are indefensible,” Webber said. “All sides need to agree that there is no room for suggestions of political violence in America — and the Missouri Democratic Party will absolutely not tolerate calls for the assassination of the president. I believe she should resign.”

Despite the condemnations, Chappelle-Nadal said she has no plans to step down.

“Out of my anger and frustration, I put up a post that I should not have put up,” Chappelle-Nadal conceded in a statement to Kansas City Public Radio. “That was inappropriate for me to do so.”

She was less conciliatory, however, in a conversation with CBS St. Louis.

“There is no way in hell that I’m resigning,” she said. “There are legislators who have cheated on their wives, they have smoked in the Legislature, in the state Capitol. If they have not been asked to resign for those acts, which I do believe that cheating on your wife or your spouse is immoral, I am not resigning for a mistake that I made and that I’m owning up to.”

The U.S. Secret Service confirmed to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that it is investigating the post as a possible threat.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't want him to be murdered, but I do want to him to be removed from office and to anguish in disgrace for the rest of his life.

sounds like violence inciting hate speech to me.

she should resign and Facebook should ban her.

she is LITERALLY giving fuel to the both sides crowd.

DonShula

She needs to resign. Can't claim the moral high ground while hoping for an assassination. Counterproductive and unfortunate.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What she did was dumb.

“There is no way in hell that I’m resigning,” she said. “There are legislators who have cheated on their wives, they have smoked in the Legislature, in the state Capitol. If they have not been asked to resign for those acts, which I do believe that cheating on your wife or your spouse is immoral, I am not resigning for a mistake that I made and that I’m owning up to.”

lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
She should resign. We're better than them and we have to remain better than them.

I hope he's impeached, disgraced and jailed, not fucking martyred.

So long as she's replaced with a Democrat.

She was very stupid to make those comments. They only fuel the hatred for the right.

She needs to go.

johnny956

She's being investigated by Secret Service now. She's known for saying outlandish things but this is probably the worse. Democrats in Missouri are also asking her to resign.

She should resign. I wanted the same for the Republican lawmakers who were calling for Obama's assassination. She won the district with 75% of the vote, so it's not like a Republican would take over.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article167755572.html said:
“I’m not resigning,” she said. “Legislators cheat on their wives or smoke marijuana and are not asked to resign. I’m not resigning over a simple mistake.”

Lol at comparing smoking pot to calling for the assassination of a president.

So if she has to resign, is there a special election for her Senate seat?

And does that mean she might be giving up her seat to a Republican?

Which will make it even harder to stop Trump and the GoP's political agenda?

What a stupid woman. She has no idea what she is risking with her selfishness. Her call for his assassination will empower the Right even more.

1194325.jpg

BriGuy

I would want a republican senator to resign under similar circumstances, so I can't justify giving her a pass here. Lady needs to do the dignified thing and step down.

What a stupid woman. She has no idea what she is risking with her selfishness. Her call for his assassination will empower the Right even more.

She won with 75% of the vote in the last election. She'll just be replaced by another dem in a special election.

Yeah, you can't have senators saying shit like that. I hate Trump as much as anyone, but I'd rather see him in jail and dragged out of the WH in handcuffs than assassinated.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Crossed a line and ruined her credibility with voters. Even if you really hate Trump, an assasination would be terrible for all of us. Imagine the martyr he would be on the right. Also a terrible time to take the focus off Trump's words and put it on yourself.

Taramoor

If a Republican Rep had called for Obama's assassination while he was President I'm certain the GOP would've ordered them to resign.

BajiBoxer

Banned

Yes.

Probably not considering the district.

Considering the district resign would probably be better since she would be replaced by someone who doesn't divert attention from Trump's idiocy to herself.

Yup, looks like she's an attention seeking moron.

Trump getting assassinated is the last thing we want. It actually validates all the things he has done, and it turns him into icon for white supremacists to look up to. It gives them power, and many monuments will be built for him. Closeted racists will come out, and white supremacy will gain actual power. Very scary to think about.

rjinaz

She's a senator. She shouldn't say such things. So I agree.

On the other hand, I see all sorts of wacky stuff from Republicans in congress like from King, that never seem to have any calls for resigning. Extreme is extreme and they should be fair.

BajiBoxer

Banned
If a Republican Rep had called for Obama's assassination while he was President I'm certain the GOP would've ordered them to resign.
Some would. Others I'm not so sure. Trump himself made comments suggesting the killing of Clinton amd others. And many are cool with elevating and canoodling with private citizens who have said these sorts of things (like Ted Nugent for example).

Trump getting assassinated is the last thing we want. It actually validates all the things he has done, and it turns him into icon for white supremacists to look up to. It gives them power, and many monuments will be built for him. Closeted racists will come out, and white supremacy will gain actual power. Very scary to think about.

This, she made an incredibly stupid misstep.

Mahonay

Banned
Really dumb thing to do as a sitting senator. Should have just said she hopes he resigns/gets impeached.

Although in 2010 Sarah Palin, indirectly though her PAC, did this bullshit.
SARAH-PALIN-TARGET-LIST.jpg

Anth0ny

"Hillary wants to abolish -- essentially abolish the Second Amendment. By the way, if she gets to pick, if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don't know," Trump said.

Sulik2

While I wake up every day hoping to hear Trump is dead, saying I hope he is assassinated from a gov official is directly inciting people to violence. She needs to resign.

doubt it

anyway yeah besides getting in to the fact that his assassination would be dumb from every angle, you don't say shit like this as a politician

jtb

Banned
Doing anything other than resigning is incredibly selfish and damaging to any kind of anti-Trump political organizations and advocacy.

Petrae

Another person who made a "mistake" on social media? Shocking. This is obviously an extreme case, but it's still representative of a growing trend.

Just had two public officials here in MA (one police officer and one superintendent of public works) suspended awaiting further discipline for Facebook comments.

People will NEVER learn and will keep stepping on that obvious landmine, only to plead "it was a mistake" or "it was on my own personal time". Been happening for years, will happen even more in this highly divisive times.

Reactionary/emotional/controversial comments on a social network with your name and your employer branded to them WILL get you in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom