• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri Teenagers Protest a Transgender Student’s Use of the Girls’ Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Africanus

I mean, how often are they likely to be seeing Ms. Perry's penis?
Likely not ever, perhaps on rare occasions. Who would focus on such a thing?
When I took a class of gymnasium, I never bothered focusing on looking at any of my fellow males changing, despite a lack of privacy. There's no time or purpose to. And I doubt she'll be all too accepted into the men's changing room now.

Tagyhag

well first off she isn't "a guy". she's a girl. where would you have her go?

It's obvious really.

wpid-wp-1421872020956.jpeg

Let's ostracize them some more!

Trust me, I empathise with the transgender girl. I think its horrible she was publicly humiliated like this. That being said, I dont think its unreasonable for other girls to feel uncomfortable about having her in such a private place without their consent. I personally wouldnt mind at all, but i dont think its right to make that decision for someone else.

You don't coddle the intolerant. You can try and educate them, but either you're onboard with progress, with understanding, or you can kindly get the hell out of the way. A massive walk out, a massive protest against the rights that this school and this girl think(KNOW) she deserves is not a good look.

Kite

Where should she go?
I read that she was offered her own gender neutral room to change but wanted to change in the girl's locker room while still having the male parts. tbh I'm not that outraged, if she was still forced to change in the boy's locker room there'd be a legit concern for her safety and discomfort.

q_q

You don't coddle the intolerant. You can try and educate them, but either you're onboard with progress, with understanding, or you can kindly get the hell out of the way. A massive walk out, a massive protest against the rights that this school and this girl think(KNOW) she deserves is not a good look.
Well agree to disagree then, im not going to get cornered into defending the insensitive actions of these particular girls.

Nafai1123

Banned
High School locker rooms are uncomfortable as fuck anyways. If she identifies as a female then she should be allowed to use the womens locker room. The girls will get used to it.

there are women who have penises. it would be ridiculous to send them away from women's restrooms.

I disagree with that. I would never call a transgender something outside their preferred gender, but when you get into stuff that affects other people like a public bathroom, I don't think just her opinion should be taken into account.

Izuna

Banned
Do you really think sending a girl into a locker room with a bunch of boys is going to make her feel safe?

Uhhhh I don't really want to make it sound like I don't have empathy for transgender people, especially the many that are on GAF, but the other way around is possibly even worse.

I mean we are talking about teens here. Being transgender isn't the only way to be discriminated when going to toilets, and it's not even the reason why this girl feels like she wants to use the girl's toilets...

Tenebrous

Do you really think sending a girl into a locker room with a bunch of boys is going to make her feel safe?

Would it be any worse than sending her into the girls locker room? I know that's the ideal situation, but when talking about her safety, it's important to note that it's not just teenage boys that are violent... Teenage girls can be just as bad, if not worse in some cases.

Hollycat

Uhhhh I don't really want to make it sound like I don't have empathy for transgender people, especially the many that are on GAF, but the other way around is possibly even worse.

I mean we are talking about teens here. Being transgender isn't the only way to be discriminated when going to toilets, and it's not even the reason why this girl feels like she wants to use the girl's toilets...

She wants to use the girls toilets because shes a girl.

I disagree with that. I would never call a transgender something outside their preferred gender, but when you get into stuff that affects other people, I don't think just her opinion should be taken into account.

"Hey, I'll use your preferred pronouns, but what I really think is..."

Dragon

Banned
Some girls just don't want a guy in their locker room and bathroom. This is normal. This is an issue that is going to need solving, but demonizing the girls is not a solution. Unfortunately there is no simple solution unless you just have all co-ed areas which isn't going to happen.

I notice you don't address the protests and you insult the person in question by calling her by her wrong gender. Shitty.

Mesousa

Banned
You think a transgender girl is going to feel safe going to the same bathroom as boys? She won't and it's a shitty thing to say.

What is really shitty is coddling ignorant boys, and then releasing them into society.

Why exactly would we let ignorant boys off the hook? There were girls who used our locker rooms at my high school in the south and they were fine. If it would be a big issue at their school, then that is the major issue.

blackjaw

Its a kind of fucked up situation. Society really hasn't figure this out yet...it gets better when she gets out of high school but she still can't go in the YMCA female locker room, etc to change/shower until post-op (as far as I know).

She doesn't belong with the males in H.S., thats for sure.

But she can't go in a locker room and change in the open with the girls. I'd say the same thing for the opposite sex in her position (can you imagine a female transitioning to male in a boys locker room...too many issues to discuss).

For now she needs to just use a separate changing room, but I don't really see the problem with using the female bathroom...its all stalls...I don't recall people just walking around naked or bathing in a normal bathroom? Its inconvenient but there really isn't another option, is there?

qcf x2

Well the genetic girls aren't actually feeling safe/comfortable, so there's a hypothetical vs a reality. Nothing horrible or degrading about having someone with mens parts use the mens bathroom.

What is really shitty is coddling ignorant boys, and then releasing them into society.

Why exactly would we let ignorant boys off the hook? There were girls who used our locker rooms at my high school in the south and they were fine. If it would be a big issue at their school, then that is the major issue.

Then why single out the transgender girl? Why not send all the girls to the boys locker room if this is the solution?

I disagree with that. I would never call a transgender something outside their preferred gender, but when you get into stuff that affects other people like a public bathroom, I don't think just her opinion should be taken into account.

How is some affected by who else is in that bathroom?

You seem.to be doubling down, so please take a moment and explain yourself.

Dragon

Banned
Well the genetic girls aren't actually feeling safe/comfortable, so there's a hypothetical vs a reality. Nothing horrible or degrading about having someone with mens parts use the mens bathroom.

She's not a man, so yes there is.

acrid

Banned
Boys locker room if she still has a penis.
We should be done here. As a parent, i wouldn't want a male, regardless of identity or orientation, in the locker room or bathroom with my teen daughter. Hell, I'd be very uncomfortable changing in front of a male identifying woman.

kinggroin

Banned
Man. Damn. Ugh this is tough as hell for someone that has like, zero experience with this kind of stuff.

I'll just let y'all handle this. No opinion either way on my side outside of, I don't want anyone to get hurt.

cameron

You should let Ms. Perry know that.

ivysaur12

Banned
How did you take that line to mean then?

That the guy in question is being an asshole and referring to this girl in question as an "intact male". There's absolutely nothing in the OP that suggests that this girl was running around willy-nilly, shaking her penis in front of other teenage girls and going "LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The Llama

Whatever the solution is, we as a society need to come up with something, because we're just going to keep having situations like this.

ivysaur12

Banned

Yeah, except for, like, the girl who felt horrible and degraded by having to be misgendered by using the wrong rest room.

We should be done here. As a parent, i wouldn't want a male, regardless of identity or orientation, in the locker room or bathroom with my teen daughter. Hell, I'd be very uncomfortable changing in front of a male identifying woman.

We shouldn't be done here because disgusting transphobia like yours is still prevalent in our society.

"Mr. Good said he got involved after hearing about a female student who encountered “an intact male” in the girls’ locker room."

This female student got a good look at the "intact" parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom