• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri Teenagers Protest a Transgender Student’s Use of the Girls’ Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
I think you are overthinking just how fearful some students are of being punished, and how subtle bullying and rejection can be. Students can be quite cruel while being able to skirt being caught for anything.

That's true, but at the same time, this teenager is willing to be subject to those possible outcomes. If she was so scared she would've used the gender neutral bathroom offered to her.

If she has the guts to withstand a HS locker room despite an easier choice being available, let her. Empower her instead of the ones that are discriminating.

Here's the thing....there's biological females that identify as girls that dress in traditional boy's clothing.Everyone agrees with that, right? They're of course allowed to use the girl's bathroom and locker room. Using the reasoning in this thread so should a transgender student that identifies as a girl but still dresses like a boy, right? It would be intolerant not to allow her. That's what youre all saying.

What?

Ok, so a cis girl and a trans girl are wearing the same articles of clothing. According to you, they're dressing like boys. Why should the trans girl not be allowed? So...under that criteria, yeah, it'd be silly to allow one but not the other. So?

That isn't at all what he said and you should be ashamed of yourself for implying it.

That's exactly what he's implying.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Seeing as how she's also a girl, yeah. They need to get over it and receive education about transgender lives and experiences in general, which they obviously haven't.

Lots of people haven't.

It's not a girl, it's a boy who identifies as a girl. He/she has a penis, male hormones, male physical strength, male body hair, etc. You think these differences are irreverent, fine, but don't lecture others on education when you write such nonsense.

Dragon

Banned
It's not a girl, it's a boy who identifies as a girl. He/she has a penis, male hormones, male physical strength, male body hair, etc. You think these differences are irreverent, fine, but don't lecture others on education when you write such nonsense.

I think you're being pretty irreverent, that's true...

As I said, girls of a similar age are equally terrible.

And I can't watch that video in the UK. Shame.

You're really hung up on this "girls are just as bad thing"

That's not even why I was responding to a different poster in the first place, I was talking more about the idea of knowingly putting the student in a situation with high potential for bodily harm and only dealing with it afterward.

What?

Ok, so a cis girl and a trans girl are wearing the same articles of clothing. According to you, they're dressing like boys. Why should the trans girl not be allowed? So...under that criteria, yeah, it'd be silly to allow one but not the other. So?
Yes correct. So in the situation im describing, a biological male that identifies as a girl that dresses and looks like a traditional straight guy...like a macho football dudebro guy, she should be allowed in the bathroom and locker room, right? Because she identifies as a girl and is therefore a girl, despite looking like Mad Max or *insert machoest looking guy ever here*. Correct?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Some girls just don't want a guy in their locker room and bathroom. This is normal. This is an issue that is going to need solving, but demonizing the girls is not a solution. Unfortunately there is no simple solution unless you just have all co-ed areas which isn't going to happen.

Tell us what you really think about transgender people.

She is a girl. Calling her a he/she is extremely offensive and disgusting. Calling her a "boy who identifies as a girl" is extremely offensive and disgusting. So clearly I'm not wrong about people needing education because you know nothing.

q1dm4

Wow, that's horrible.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Yikes...

As someone who had to learn over time as to how to be empathetic and sensitive to the transgender community's challenges and situations, all I can say is I hope you take this opportunity to reexamine their situation and your views, and that you'll show a little more humanity in the future.

SmokyDave

Well, they've fucked that one up. It should have ended at the unisex faculty bathroom. Now they're going to have to piss people off no matter what.

Dang.

Tenebrous

You're really hung up on this "girls are just as bad thing"

That's not even why I was responding to a different poster in the first place, I was talking more about the idea of knowingly putting the student in a situation with high potential for bodily harm and only dealing with it afterward.

Ahh, my apologies. The green confused me, haha.

User1608

Banned
I know what he is implying...

That perverts would be able to identify, take advantage of the lack of discrimination in an utopia for transgender people, and wouldn't want that to even be an issue.

Like, as if, that scenario is far more realistic than a lesbian assaulting another girl.

In which case, why not make sure lesbians go into different toilets?

Fuck it, teach them all Judo and put stickers on people so you know who to be careful around. Let's just assume everyone except his daughter is a sex offender. World is MAD scary.

--

Truth is the transgender person is for more scared of what actually is the reality of how they are treated.
Yup. A transwoman/man is more likely to be hurt/killed in such scenarios.:/ Imagined dangers take the place of the sad reality of how we are treated.

Yes correct. So in the situation im describing, a biological male that identifies as a girl that dresses and looks like a traditional straight guy...like a macho football dudebro guy, she should be allowed in the bathroom and locker room, right? Because she identifies as a girl despite looking like Mad Max or *insert machoest looking guy ever here*. Correct?

Sure. Whatever. This is the dumbest scenario I've read.

Fitts

I read that she was offered her own gender neutral room to change but wanted to change in the girl's locker room while still having the male parts.

Being granted access to the girls' locker room would make for the best high school senior year ever.

kaye

Banned
I'm trans myself. My trips into the women's bathroom are always rush in, rush out affairs - make no eye contact, don't linger a second longer than necessary etc. There's always a potential risk of abuse, though it has never happened.

With that said that's the bathroom I go into, and anyone who doesn't like that can fuck right off. The right of others to be comfortable does not supersede my right to be safe. Sick of this whole issue.

Izuna

Banned

But the problem here though is that this "identifies as a girl" thing isn't like you or me dressing in day for a day (or even for our lives), but the fact that this person feels as much as the opposite gender more so than the one they are in.

It's an interesting thing to talk about, about why individuals transition, but regardless of that fact, there are so many that do for themselves to feel comfortable in society, that their feelings shouldn't be entirely ignored.

I think that at this stage, there are such a small percentage of people with opposing views that have actually tried to come up with a solution. Right now, policies only change so as to not get the whole internet to fucking up their reputation.

There should be a real solution to this problem. Not "shut up transgender people", or "shut up cis-women". But that's about as far as this discussion will go until one side gets sick of it and things get worse.

Perry told News 4 school officials have been accommodating, understanding, and compliant with Title IX. The school offered her a private gender-neutral restroom, which she turned down.

Two questions here:
1) Why are most people who denouncing the girls protesting, also ignoring this aspect of the entire story?
2) What good reason would she have to turn it down?
Tolerance is ther responsibility of all.

Then why single out the transgender girl? Why not send all the girls to the boys locker room if this is the solution?

So your suggesting that because she didn't want her own gender-neutral area, everyone must change to accommodate?

Being granted access to the girls' locker room would make for the best high school senior year ever.

why do people always have to lovingly describe their desire to engage in sexual assault whenever the topic of transgender women using women's bathrooms comes up?

i swear a republican politician said the same exact thing a few months ago lol.

Mesousa

Banned
Then why single out the transgender girl? Why not send all the girls to the boys locker room if this is the solution?

Because she has the same genitalia, for now, as the boys. They should be able to handle having her in their locker room without it being an issue.

TipsyArchmage

Neo Member
She is a girl. Calling her a he/she is extremely offensive and disgusting. Calling her a "boy who identifies as a girl" is extremely offensive and disgusting. So clearly I'm not wrong about people needing education because you know nothing.

Yeah and guess what

You aren't helping that education at all

If you just launch straight into attacking someone for being disgusting and transphobic because they know nothing without even trying to actually explain the situation to them then you are entirely part of the problem. No one is going to learn anything if the people capable of teaching react with insults and scorn.

That just leads to hate on both sides

Azuran

Banned
Wrong

High schoolers are just kids, people change a lot after high school

Not to the extent that some people are claiming. Most people at that age already have a set of belief and personality traits that will rarely change throughout life especially if they're religious or family based. Furthermore, some of these kids are already or close to being adults especially if they're in senior year.

Zoned

Actively hates charity

That's not how things are done. If you are vegan then they don't label every non vegan food item as non-vegan but they label the exclusive vegan food item as vegan.

kaye

Banned
This thread represents the perfect opportunity for more stringent moderation of transgender matters.

Izuna

Banned
How is it a dumb scenario? It's feasible and no doubt exists irl.

I get your concerns here, but let me tell you why it is a dumb scenario.

A: because it hasn't happened, and there is no indication that it will happen.

B: the mere fact that it is a problem to people, is the exact same reason why this girl doesn't want to go into male toilets

C: what DOES happen is that transgender girls are actually getting hurt for using male toilets

"Hey, I'll use your preferred pronouns, but what I really think is..."

Right.

Im going to respect that person by referring them by what they want to be called, but I don't agree with it.

People should be treated how they want to be treated, but when you start to enter other people's space, then its not just what you want.

Bathrooms aren't just separated by gender, they're separated by sex.

Let's say someone that looks like the person in my avatar...BAAAARRRRRRACK LESSSSSSNARrrrr, not Brock himself but someone that looks exactly like him....let's say that person began to legit identify himself as a girl tomorrow but did NOT change his look whatsoever. According to the reasoning by many in this thread, she should be allowed in girl's rest room and locker room. It's interesting to think about...hell of a dilemma of sorts.

That's true, but at the same time, this teenager is willing to be subject to those possible outcomes. If she was so scared she would've used the gender neutral bathroom offered to her.

If she has the guts to withstand a HS locker room despite an easier choice being available, let her. Empower her instead of the ones that are discriminating.

To an extent, but these are still young kids we are talking about, and as a school, the faculty has a responsibility to maintain the safety and development of their students. It's a tough situation. The bathroom can't be monitored by an adult at all times.

Tell us what you really think about transgender people.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.png

Weiss

Banned
Yeah and guess what

If you just launch straight into attacking someone for being disgusting and transphobic because they know nothing without even trying to actually explain the situation to them then you are entirely part of the problem. No one is going to learn anything if the people capable of teaching react with insults and scorn.

Maybe the ones who think those awful things should stop acting like complete, unbelievable assholes.

This isn't fucking difficult. Stop asking us to tolerate this bullshit.

Yeah and guess what

Transgender women getting mad at disgusting transphobia isn't "just as bad" as transphobic bullshit to begin with.

I have no obligation to turn the other cheek when the shit they're saying kills.

How would u know there isn't a person like who im describing that exists in the world? There most definitely is. It's impossible to say there isn't. Odds are there are people like that.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
But the problem here though is that this "identifies as a girl" thing isn't like you or me dressing in day for a day (or even for our lives), but the fact that this person feels as much as the opposite gender more so than the one they are in.

It's an interesting thing to talk about, about why individuals transition, but regardless of that fact, there are so many that do for themselves to feel comfortable in society, that their feelings shouldn't be entirely ignored.

I think that at this stage, there are such a small percentage of people with opposing views that have actually tried to come up with a solution. Right now, policies only change so as to not get the whole internet to fucking up their reputation.

There should be a real solution to this problem. Not "shut up transgender people", or "shut up cis-women". But that's about as far as this discussion will go until one side gets sick of it and things get worse.

Having completely unisex bathrooms instead of gender-segregated ones is the way to go, but for now, trans people should be able to use the washroom or locker room that corresponds to the gender they identify as.

Let's say someone that looks like the person in my avatar...BAAAARRRRRRACK LESSSSSSNARrrrr, not Brock himself but someone that looks exactly like him....let's say that person began to legit identify himself as a girl tomorrow but did NOT change his look whatsoever. According to the reasoning by many in this thread, she should be allowed in girl's rest room and locker room. It's interesting to think about...hell of a dilemma of sorts.
Are you trolling? You need to let paul speak for you at all times.

Watch the generalizing there friend. I couldnt care less how someone lives their life. But if my underage daughter could possibly be in physical danger, i have a problem with it. Call it a trust issue. I dont trust people. Period.

Imagine this trans girl was your child. Which locker room would you feel that she would be safest in?

Zoned

Actively hates charity

That's a pretty stupid reason. Lot of shit hasn't happened, but that doesn't mean it won't happen, and you or me don't get to decide that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom