• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Goldie sure is bringing the stupid today

"Cariaso's happy to come to England and fight a guy the same size as him and that's what we've seen"

Fuck?

TheNatural

My Member!
PastorOfMuppets said:
Did not realize that the MMA thread dates back to Pre-TUF UFC days. Pretty old school. What was everyone's introduction?

I saw the very first UFC back in the day on illegal cable but I was a hardcore wrestling fan at the time and actually thought that UFC 1 was a pro wrestling PPV from Japan. Didn't really get into MMA until I saw Randleman vs Fedor on super late night cable in 2004.

So out of curiosity, did anyone here take up any martial arts because of the MMA explosion?

*Raises hand*

Got my blue belt in judo. Stopped it because it was very brutal on my body.
Got my blue belt in BJJ - silver medal at an IBJJF tournament a while back in my first tourney as a blue. Feels so sweet.
Couple months of Savate
A year of Muay Thai and boxing under my belt.

Watched some of the first UFCs back in the mid 90's. I don't remember if it was VHS or PPV, but I'm pretty sure they were the PPVs. Since then I've loved UFC, but fell out of major following back in the "Dark ages" of the UFC post Tito-Frank Superfight when it seemed it took a while before it was highly promoted or accepted anymore.

Yeah me I saw the first few UFCs on VHS as a kid but didn't really follow it too closely.. Bought the UFC game for Dreamcast and enjoyed the hell out of it, and would watch my friends' PRIDE DVDs every now and then but didn't start to get hardcore into it until around the time of the Lesnar/Herring fight and the GSP/Penn 2 fight. Haven't missed a PPV since UFC 97.

AstroLad said:
So after the prelims they go dark and you have to watch on a stream or wait for 8 pm or whatever?
Yes, and then a few days later you see an article on MMAJunkie about how they're so so mad about piracy.

Heel

I think I'm going to join poly and, ahhem, start up my special satellite dish that gets ESPN UK to watch UFC live.

Nothing will stop me from watching Pro Elite. NOTHING.

Top Bottom