• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

AiTM

Banned
sien916 said:
Yeah really...Millen is taking the trolling to a new level.

Jerry Millen interviews Dana White's mother

CeHFG.jpg

Looks like she has two of dana whites head under her shirt. damn

parrotbeak said:
That's what I thought when I saw the preview but it didn't bother me at all when reading it last night. The art looks shittier in the bright glare of a monitor. It's a good story, definitely hooked in for the 2nd issue.
Is there the same amount of pages as a normal floppy or more?

Heel

parrotbeak said:
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by UFC.

hahaha wow...it was just up too. There wasn't anything in it that the UFC would own either. Damage control? Millen is a creep regardless.

Boogie said:
wait, Gary Millen is still alive?

fuck

Last I heard from him he was trying to sell the M-1 Global master tapes on eBay.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Is there the same amount of pages as a normal floppy or more?
I bought the Boys and Butcher comics at the same time and they seemed about the same thickness. For $2.99 I thought it was pretty cheap for comics these days.

Boogie

sien916 said:
Last I heard from him he was trying to sell the M-1 Global master tapes on eBay.

haha, ya, I love the Millen v. M-1 feud because it's douchebag versus douchebag.

CaptYamato said:
Let's join forces with the guy that quit last time he fought GSP!

They're preparing themselves psychologically for the inevitable.

It's actually a pre-emptive support group.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
It's a GSP CIRCLE JERK w/CAPT and BOOGIE In the MIDDLE!

only you 2 would hate on a camp with Gil, Jake, Nick, Nate, etc...

maybe they should be lame as hell like Team Alpha Male, Tri-Star with Firas, or Greg Jackson's revolving door of guys.

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dt4ACoRypo

Why do I get the feeling Face the Pain is here to stay? :(

Brand recognition? Honestly, Fox's promotion for the fight has been laughably bad and amateurish. That photo shoot or video with cain and jds with the cheesy flame background. and the primetime show was weak as well. mexican american stereotypes with cain's dream car being a gran torino was hilarious. and then jds hugging kids in the brazilian ghetto. yawn. it was like fight hype by the numbers. i was very disappointed with fox's effort thus far.

jds-2.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sazabirules said:
I keep seeing that commercial with The Rolling Stones song in it and I thought it was a good advertisement for the event.
Yeah, I think word got back to them about the cheesy fire promo because I haven't seen it in awhile.

Boogie

yacobod said:

maybe they should be lame as hell like Team Alpha Male, Tri-Star with Firas, or Greg Jackson's revolving door of guys.

Tri-star = UFC champion

Jackson's = UFC champion (and former UFC champion in Rashad) (and Jones is *lame* now?)

Cesar Gracie = Strikeforce lol belts

You herald Nate at Cesar's whilst denigrating Tristar, when Tristar product Rory Macdonald tossed Nate around like a gawdamned rag doll and sent him running from 170lbs like a scared child. As always, yaco, you are a barrell of laughs.

Boogie

Fire promo was "OMG SO BAD"

Stones promo was solid.

Primetime was pretty good, in spite of re-using some footage from Cain.

Heel

Thankfully I've never seen the fire promo on actual television.

I think they're doing a great job advertising the UFC during football, which apparently averaged 17 million viewers last weekend.

Anyone know any other FOX shows they're advertising the UFC on? Curious to know whether or not they're trying to advertise to the non-dudebro demographic. American Idol...anything like that? I only really watch sports on FOX, haha.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think I've seen the promos on FX during Sons of Anarchy. Or maybe I'm imagining shit. I feel like I've seen the promo enough times that it can't just be on Sundays.

yacobod said:

Jake? really Jake? You bitch and moan about Lay N Pray and mention Jake?

Heel

The original thread took nearly 4 years to reach 5000 posts. The thread was started less than a week before Griffin vs. Bonnar.

We're almost at 5000 posts after 3 months, not including event threads.

UbjtK.jpg

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Well I dont know if whats been posted is quality........... like this

Do you think JDS would find Dana Whites mom hot?. After seeing his wife on one of the pre-fight things I think he would.

sien916 said:
The original thread took nearly 4 years to reach 5000 posts. The thread was started less than a week before Griffin vs. Bonnar.

We're almost at 5000 posts after 3 months, not including event threads.

UbjtK.jpg

He was into MMA before it was mainstream:
randy_couture_UFC_105_presser.jpg

Heel

To be fair, I've spent roughly 500 of the posts defending the honor of the great Fedor against TheNatural (and his evil sidekick, Ninja Scooter) using a vast arsenal of MMA gifs.

I will continue for as long as it's necessary.

sien916 said:
To be fair, I've spent roughly 500 of the posts defending the honor of the great Fedor against TheNatural (and his evil sidekick, Ninja Scooter) using a vast arsenal of MMA gifs.

I will continue for as long as it's necessary.

Or until you can no longer intelligently defend yourself, kind of like this:

hendo.gif

Did not realize that the MMA thread dates back to Pre-TUF UFC days. Pretty old school. What was everyone's introduction?

I saw the very first UFC back in the day on illegal cable but I was a hardcore wrestling fan at the time and actually thought that UFC 1 was a pro wrestling PPV from Japan. Didn't really get into MMA until I saw Randleman vs Fedor on super late night cable in 2004.

So out of curiosity, did anyone here take up any martial arts because of the MMA explosion?

*Raises hand*

Got my blue belt in judo. Stopped it because it was very brutal on my body.
Got my blue belt in BJJ - silver medal at an IBJJF tournament a while back in my first tourney as a blue. Feels so sweet.
Couple months of Savate
A year of Muay Thai and boxing under my belt.

Heel

PastorOfMuppets said:
Did not realize that the MMA thread dates back to Pre-TUF UFC days. Pretty old school. What was everyone's introduction?

My aunt had a black box and invited my family over to watch a Tyson fight. I switched channels after the fight and stumbled on a UFC event. I saw Joe Son getting punched in the balls and life as I knew it changed...forever.

I've tried to piece together how that was possible. The Joe Son thing happened in 1994, but the Tyson fight I watched was one from '95 or '96. Maybe it was a re-airing? No idea.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So are there any 138 fights that are going to be worth watching? I think it was someone here saying that the Pickett/Barao fight is one of the ones to watch on this card.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
AstroLad said:
the whole main card is actually pretty interesting except for the etim fight. the undercard i'll pass on

I might watch the Omigawa fight. The judges will find a way to rob him again.

PastorOfMuppets said:

I saw the very first UFC back in the day on illegal cable but I was a hardcore wrestling fan at the time and actually thought that UFC 1 was a pro wrestling PPV from Japan. Didn't really get into MMA until I saw Randleman vs Fedor on super late night cable in 2004.

So out of curiosity, did anyone here take up any martial arts because of the MMA explosion?

*Raises hand*

Got my blue belt in judo. Stopped it because it was very brutal on my body.
Got my blue belt in BJJ - silver medal at an IBJJF tournament a while back in my first tourney as a blue. Feels so sweet.
Couple months of Savate
A year of Muay Thai and boxing under my belt.

Watched Griffin vs Bonnar on Spike and thought it was cool
I watched a Ken Shamrock vs Tito Ortiz fight as well and was like wtf @ Ken Shamrock like slipping and pulling his hammy or something lol

But what realllly got me into watching it regularly was when Gonzaga stole Cro Cops sole......I think that was the first numbered event that was shown for free on Spike?

Started to watch TUF after that, then my workplace started showing every UFC PPV and I got majorly hooked

Being in Canada, Sportsnet REALLY played a huge role in embracing the UFC and covering it like a mainstream sport, they have been the MAIN reason why Canada has such rabid UFC fans IMO

Jamie OD

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Did not know Dana was married or had kids, don't doubt that all ring girls were fired because they stopped sleeping with him.

Not sure about the others but Edith was fired for missing UFC 100. She claimed she suffered from food poisoning the night before the show but what really happened was she partied all night and couldn't recover from the hangover next morning.

Jamie OD said:
Not sure about the others but Edith was fired for missing UFC 100. She claimed she suffered from food poisoning the night before the show but what really happened was she partied all night and couldn't recover from the hangover next morning.

Wow.........way to kill your "career"

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
And 75% of those post are Yaco talking about his least favorite fighter.

Pretty sure 50% of the thread activity can be attributed to like sien, chamber, poly, dream, you, and myself. The gulf after the 2 sets of triumverates is pretty wide to say the least.

edit not quite 50%, only 2302 posts or 47% lol.

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:
Only thing I know about either is blame space has that awesome Leonardo avatar.

i turned off avatars like 3 or 4 months ago, and haven't looked back. all the embarrassing animu and my little pony pics was getting too much. other pros include, the mma thread w/out having to look at the #3 p4p fighter in pajamas too.

Chris Leben said:
Wanderlei is in top shape, he's still healthy. I don't know why people are saying he needs to retire. He's won some good fights, he's still winning, he's still doing good. I'm just pretty good you know, that's all. How about giving me some credit and not just saying "oh, Wanderlei's washed up". How about that!

Really dude? What are we going to say after Wand gets KOd by that actor Cung Le?

Jake Ellenberger said:
His slap-box game... I would like to fight Diaz. Ideally I'd love to fight Diaz, his little patty-cake game he plays, man if he played that with me I'd put him down for sure, 100 per cent. If you did that where I come from, you get your ass whooped.

GSP's a lot faster than Diaz, Diaz has no power, he's not going to knock him out. He should have finished BJ and he couldn't even do that. GSP is faster than him, he can take him down and he's better than him everywhere. So I don't see the point of that fight.

maybe someone needs to remind Jake that the only fighter to finish BJ was WW GOAT Matt Hughes. and he was never finished standing.

ShaneB

BigJonsson said:
Being in Canada, Sportsnet REALLY played a huge role in embracing the UFC and covering it like a mainstream sport, they have been the MAIN reason why Canada has such rabid UFC fans IMO

Will agree to this, they are doing a HUGE part for MMA in Canada. TSN barely covers it besides Michael Landsberg and his OTR stuff. Score certainly has its impact as well with showing Bellator fights and at least having MMA specific programming.

My introduction was TUF season....9 I think? The UK vs USA one. I use to mock MMA since my old roommate loved it, I would say the ground stuff was just them cuddling and found it boring. When I watched that season of stuff, sure I liked the drama of the regional conflicts, but also it just worked as a introduction (the purpose that TUF always had I guess.) It culminated with watching UFC 100 as the first full card I was excited for and watched in full. Knew I was hooked after that.

Also, back to Sportsnet, this weekend they'll be showing the 138 card live at 4pm, so no need to wait for some silly tape delay.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
yacobod said:
i turned off avatars like 3 or 4 months ago, and haven't looked back. all the embarrassing animu and my little pony pics was getting too much. other pros include, the mma thread w/out having to look at the #3 p4p fighter in pajamas too.
I don't think anyone here has an Anderson Silva avatar.

ShaneB said:
Will agree to this, they are doing a HUGE part for MMA in Canada. TSN barely covers it besides Michael Landsberg and his OTR stuff. Score certainly has its impact as well with showing Bellator fights and at least having MMA specific programming.

My introduction was TUF season....9 I think? The UK vs USA one. I use to mock MMA since my old roommate loved it, I would say the ground stuff was just them cuddling and found it boring. When I watched that season of stuff, sure I liked the drama of the regional conflicts, but also it just worked as a introduction (the purpose that TUF always had I guess.) It culminated with watching UFC 100 as the first full card I was excited for and watched in full. Knew I was hooked after that.

Also, back to Sportsnet, this weekend they'll be showing the 138 card live at 4pm, so no need to wait for some silly tape delay.

3PM Eastern!

Top Bottom