• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

Last night on the Wreck MMA stream...

Screen-Recording-32.gif

ROCK BOTTOM! ROCK BOTTOM!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Didn't know Undertaker decided to open an MMA school.

edit: Okay, yeah, looks more like a rock bottom than a chokeslam.

Heel

Nick Diaz on fighting GSP:

"The only reason I'm getting this fight is because people want to see me take an ass-whipping right about now," he said. "So, alright, great. I worked for it. I'll take my ass-whipping, I'll take my money, and I'll go home."

Hey, at least he's a realist.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:
Nick Diaz on fighting GSP:

"The only reason I'm getting this fight is because people want to see me take an ass-whipping right about now," he said. "So, alright, great. I worked for it. I'll take my ass-whipping, I'll take my money, and I'll go home."

Hey, at least he's a realist.
This quote should be in the OP under the Fighters section.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I hope we get to see Diaz-Conduit at some point. That I would actually look forward to from a fight perspective rather than the drama angle.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bellator is so fucking stupid -- why would they put that up against 137? or ever go up against ufc? i swear they must have some sort of uwe boll/producers-type setup where they make more money the more they fail

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
AstroLad said:
bellator is so fucking stupid -- why would they put that up against 137? or ever go up against ufc? i swear they must have some sort of uwe boll/producers-type setup where they make more money the more they fail

At least they put by far their worst card up against the UFC.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I read the Bellator title fight could have gone either way and that Hieron was very cocky at the end of the fight. Saunders will take care of Askren.

DKehoe

I dunno if this has been mentioned anywhere else but on the most recent episode of Wrestling Observer Radio Dave Meltzer was saying Silva is refusing to fight Sonnen because Chael took things too far by bringing up Anderson's wife. He doesn't want to do anything that would help him, like give him a big money title fight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
AstroLad said:
Yeah, Bellator needs to get off Saturday nights. I don't see why they even play that game with the UFC.

DKehoe said:
I dunno if this has been mentioned anywhere else but on the most recent episode of Wrestling Observer Radio Dave Meltzer was saying Silva is refusing to fight Sonnen because Chael took things too far by bringing up Anderson's wife. He doesn't want to do anything that would help him, like give him a big money title fight.

BOOOOO

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chamber said:
Yeah, Bellator needs to get off Saturday nights. I don't see why they even play that game with the UFC.
Yeah, maybe it's MTV, I dunno. I like Bellator which is why I find it annoying.

Jake.

just caught 137...man, joe talking to bj bummed me out so much. i knew it was time, but fuck - was definitely my favourite fighter when i first got into mma 5ish years ago.

yacobod

Banned
Jake. said:
just caught 137...man, joe talking to bj bummed me out so much. i knew it was time, but fuck - was definitely my favourite fighter when i first got into mma 5ish years ago.

fear not friend. you're favorite fighter completed his transition to legend rather gracefully in comparison to a lot of the other greats.

Jake.

i agree with you on almost everything mma related yaco...except i still see overeem bulldoze through brock - can crusher or not.

yacobod

Banned
what would be contenders for fight of the year so far?

I think the following fights would be up there:

Maynard/Edgar 2
Maynard/Edgar 3
Diaz/Daley
Diaz/Penn

I'm sure I'm missing some fights though.

Jake. said:
i agree with you on almost everything mma related yaco...except i still see overeem bulldoze through brock - can crusher or not.

we'll see. like sien says wrestling is the foundation of the mma pyramid, so it would seem brock has a large advantage in that department. should be fun affair, both larger than life comic book characters squaring off in the octagon.

AiTM

Banned
yacobod said:
what would be contenders for fight of the year so far?

I think the following fights would be up there:

Maynard/Edgar 2
Maynard/Edgar 3
Diaz/Daley
Diaz/Penn

I'm sure I'm missing some fights though.

we'll see. like sien says wrestling is the foundation of the mma pyramid, so it would seem brock has a large advantage in that department. should be fun affair, both larger than life comic book characters squaring off in the octagon.

Ive enjoyed Daniel Cormiers fights, Sanchez/Kampman, Kongo/Berry, and the Jon Jones Pride crush.

Would probably give FOTN to either Diaz Daley or Diaz Penn, the TKO makes me want to give it to Diaz/Daley, but fuck the Diaz/Penn was just as exciting.

DKehoe said:

This isnt boxing, Uncle Dana makes fights happen (except the whole GSP/Silva fan boner there for a while)

parasight

Diaz/Penn wasn't really special in anyway, I wouldn't have it as a FOTY candidate. Kongo/Barry has to be considered for its ridiculous ending alone, but I guess it would fall under Finish of the Year. My homer pick would be Hominick/Aldo because that last round was intense (I'm biased because I was in the Rogers Centre). It would be a lock for FOTY if Hominick actually finished it.

EDIT: Also, HOLY FUCK @ Diaz/Cerrone. Can't wait for that one.

yacobod

Banned
I think KO and comeback of the year would have to be the Kongo KO of HD. That comeback was ridiculous.

Best 1st round of any fight this year was Diaz/Daley round 1. Most action packed first round in recent memory.

I think ultimately I'm going to give Edgar/Maynard 3 FOTY honors. There was a lot of drama and build-up leading into the fight. The first round was a carbon copy of the 2nd fight. Edgar was out on his feet for like 3 minutes. And getting the knockout in the 4th round was something out of a Rocky movie. Hard to compete with it, bonus points for being a title fight.

Worst fight of the year goes to Reem/Werdum.

Fighter of the Year has to go to Jon Jones if he beats Machida in December. Hard to dismiss a guy if he beats Bader, Shogun, Rampage, and Machida in a calendar year. I hope the UFC has champions fighting 3 or 4 times a year.

AiTM

Banned
Watch the press conference, and just a few thoughts. Dana seemed pissed/worried about something even at the beginning of it. Then he said the commission is following around Diaz for a urine sample. Maybe he was just dehydrated and couldn't piss. Or maybe hes covering up weed or something thats gonna get him in trouble with the commission. Fuck that would suck.

Also was hilarious watching Diaz shitting on UFC pay in front of Dana. Diaz being champ has to be the scariest prospect for Dana.

Heel

Nick Diaz: $200,000 (no win bonus)
def. B.J. Penn: $150,000

Cheick Kongo: $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus)
def. Matt Mitrione: $10,000

Roy Nelson: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
def. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic: $75,000

Scott Jorgensen: $33,000 (includes $16,500 win bonus)
def. Jeff Curran: $8,000

Hatsu Hioki: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)
def. George Roop: $8,000

Donald Cerrone: $54,000 (includes $27,000 win bonus)
def. Dennis Siver: $27,000

Bart Palaszewski: $28,500 (includes $10,000 win bonus)*
def. Tyson Griffin: $25,500*

Brandon Vera: $120,000 (includes $60,000 win bonus)
def. Eliot Marshall: $15,000

Ramsey Nijem: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Danny Downes: $4,000

Francis Carmont: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
def. Chris Camozzi: $8,000

Clifford Starks: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
def. Dustin Jacoby: $6,000

* - Although not recognized on the official pay sheet, Griffin was fined $8,500 for missing weight for the fight, and contracts were reworked with those amounts. That money was issued to Palaszewski, an NSAC official confirmed with MMAjunkie.com. Otherwise, Griffin would have made $34,000 and Palaszewski would have made $20,000.

I think the best thing for Hatsu Hioki would be to come over here and train.

Edit: and Diaz could easily buy a house in Stockton for $200g's.

Heel

BigKaboom2 said:
edit: Whoops, was just going to post the same thing. Can't believe Diaz got that much.

He made 150k against Cyborg and 175k against Daley. I'm sure he got plenty off the books too.

Top Bottom