• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

AiTM

Banned
You might as well go ahead and deduct whatever the fighters pay is by half (those who make 100k or more a fight and fight twice or more yearly). Taxes between state and local are 40% plus management, any expenses with training, etc.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
I think the best thing for Hatsu Hioki would be to come over here and train.

well the best thing for him would be to stay in japan and not fight in the ufc. most mma places had him ranked number 2 at featherweight before his fight to roop which is laughable in hindsight.

guy has no standup, his takedowns are weak, and he looks really small at 145, he would get tooled by an also ran like bartimus. wtf would happen to him if he fought someone like mendes or aldo.

sien916 said:
Screen-Recording-32.gif
LTTP but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoVDfAwgi2U

Heel

yacobod said:
we'll see. like sien says wrestling is the foundation of the mma pyramid, so it would seem brock has a large advantage in that department. should be fun affair, both larger than life comic book characters squaring off in the octagon.

Hahaha. My quote has come back to haunt me.

I think Overeem is strong and seasoned enough to hold him off for the big kabosh. Werdum is one of the best grapplers in the division and was reduced to guard summoning.

yacobod

Banned
sien916 said:
Werdum is one of the best grapplers in the division and was reduced to guard summoning.

Werdum was never known for being a takedown artist, being a good BJJ artist doesn't really equate to being a strong wrestler. So I think you're reaching bigtime.

Heel

yacobod said:
Werdum was never known for being a takedown artist, being a good BJJ artist doesn't really equate to being a strong wrestler. So I think you're reaching bigtime.

He's gotten a takedown in almost every fight he's had.

Heel

yacobod said:
no point in having a serious discussion here if you think werdum's tds are similar to brock's.

I'm not saying Werdum's similar. Merely stating Overeem has shown the prowess to fend off great grapplers. Unlike, say, Nick Diaz.

yacobod

Banned
sazabirules said:
It's a step down for Cowboy but I guess he'll take anyone since he wants to fight again this year.

Do you really think Nate is a step down from guys like Siver, Oliviera, Rocha, Kelly?

Really?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
yacobod said:
Do you really think Nate is a step down from guys like Siver, Oliviera, Rocha, Kelly?

Really?

Cowboy beat a ranked guy and is on a six fight win streak. Nate has done jack shit at LW since his return. He beat a washed up Gomi.

Cowboy is close to being a #1 contender.

yacobod

Banned
sazabirules said:
Cowboy beat a ranked guy and is on a six fight win streak. Nate has done jack shit at LW since his return. He beat a washed up Japanese can.

luckily for the fans uncle dana and joe silva only care about putting on entertaining fights for the fans. most external mma website rankings are pointless anyways, fucking hioki was ranked on most sites as the #2 guy at 145# behind aldo.

Cerrone vs Nate has SCRAP written all over it. Nate was busting up guillard and had him shooting in for takedowns. Maynard was afraid to takedown nate and stood with him. Nate's no joke at 155#. He's too small to compete with the wrestlers at 170#, but he's better than the guys Cerrone has fought thus far imo.

sien916 said:
It's a fun fight, but I think Cowboy takes it handily. Are you going with Nate, yaco?

always supporting the Diaz brothers, but i'm not certain he wins. i think the fight is a 50/50 toss up. i think ppl are too caught up in the winning streak that cerrone has going right now. he's definately hot right now, and even though i'm not a fan of him, you have to like his willingness to fight anyone.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
yacobod said:
luckily for the fans uncle dana and joe silva only care about putting on entertaining fights for the fans. most external mma website rankings are pointless anyways, fucking hioki was ranked on most sites as the #2 guy at 145# behind aldo.

Cerrone vs Nate has SCRAP written all over it. Nate was busting up guillard and had him shooting in for takedowns. Maynard was afraid to takedown nate and stood with him. Nate's no joke at 155#. He's too small to compete with the wrestlers at 170#, but he's better than the guys Cerrone has fought thus far imo.

I'm not saying I don't want to see the fight.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
yacobod said:

DING DING DING!

I definitely think Nate is a step down from Siver. He hasn't decisively beaten anyone that's still in the UFC except Guillard and Gomi, who were submitted in most of their other losses too.

dream

The more Cowboy Cerrone fights, the greater the chances of me finally getting to see him get stretchered out.

I wish he'd fight on every card.

yacobod

Banned
BJ Penn said:
I want to thank all the fans for their love and support. I have decided to take some time off to enjoy life, train and teach. I will keep you guys posted with what’s next.

You're welcome BJ.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
yacobod said:
It's that airplane trip man, makes them all cans.

dream said:
The more Cowboy Cerrone fights, the greater the chances of me finally getting to see him get stretchered out.

I wish he'd fight on every card.

not gonna happen. Donald CE-RONE-NAY will keep winning until he gets his title shot at Ben Henderson, who will derail #2 P4P hype train.

yacobod

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
not gonna happen. Donald CE-RONE-NAY will keep winning until he gets his title shot at Ben Henderson, who will derail #2 P4P hype train.

would they even make that match between cerrone and bendo? he's already beaten him twice in the WEC. either way i'm not sure bendo gets by guida. he might get LNP'd by the carpenter. like sien916 says, wrestling is the foundation of the mma pyramid and i'd have to think guida has the better wrestling between the 2.

Heel

yacobod said:
would they even make that match between cerrone and bendo? he's already beaten him twice in the WEC. either way i'm not sure bendo gets by guida. he might get LNP'd by the carpenter. like sien916 says, wrestling is the foundation of the mma pyramid and i'd have to think guida has the better wrestling between the 2.

I wouldn't be so sure. Bendo outwrestled that one dude with the beard and the hat.

yacobod

Banned
sien916 said:
I wouldn't be so sure. Bendo outwrested that one dude with the beard and the hat.

guida wrestlefucked the shit out of pettis and bendo couldn't even take him down. mma math is tuff.

Heel

Chamber said:
So is UFC 138 even OT worthy? Even for a UK card, this one is looking pretty bad.

I'd say no. I'm only really looking forward to Pickett vs. Barao to be honest.

Papy Abedi was the #1 ranked prospect on Bloody Elbow's welterweight scouting report this year, but he must've pissed in Joe Silva's cereal to draw Alves for his first UFC fight. Maybe he knows something we don't though.

Plus, Njokuani always puts on a good show.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm looking forward to Alves/Abedi. Always like watching Thiago fight and Abedi is a highly touted prospect and a Judo fighter so that's always nice to see.

lol @ Leben/Munoz main event though

Boogie

yacobod said:
I think KO and comeback of the year would have to be the Kongo KO of HD. That comeback was ridiculous.

Best 1st round of any fight this year was Diaz/Daley round 1. Most action packed first round in recent memory.

I think ultimately I'm going to give Edgar/Maynard 3 FOTY honors. There was a lot of drama and build-up leading into the fight. The first round was a carbon copy of the 2nd fight. Edgar was out on his feet for like 3 minutes. And getting the knockout in the 4th round was something out of a Rocky movie. Hard to compete with it, bonus points for being a title fight.

Worst fight of the year goes to Reem/Werdum.

Fighter of the Year has to go to Jon Jones if he beats Machida in December. Hard to dismiss a guy if he beats Bader, Shogun, Rampage, and Machida in a calendar year. I hope the UFC has champions fighting 3 or 4 times a year.

Damn, I pretty much agree with all of that.

Top Bottom