• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam UC |OT| Janky FROM Mecha Action

Mobile Suit Gundam UC (Unicorn)
Platform: Playstation 3
Genre: Robot Action
Publisher: Bandai Namco Games
Developer: FROM Software
Release Date: March 8th, 2012 (Japan and Asia)
Price: 5,040¥ Regular / 7,980¥ Limited Edition
Official website: http://uc.channel.or.jp/

Reviews
Famitsu: 7/8/7/8 (30/40)
Mecha Damashii: 7/10

Regular Edition
91jQPUh9KoL._AA300_.jpg

Limited Edition
UC05.jpg

The Blu-ray, titled "Gundam UC Collector's Disc" has a digest covering the first three episodes of the anime, interviews with the staff and cast, and a digest video of episode 4's premier, "Film & Live," which was held on October 1. The novel is titled Gundam UC: Sengo no Sensou ("War After the War"). Written by Gundam UC author Harutoshi Fukui, this novelization tells the before and after of the Sengo no Sensou episode that will be released for the game as download content. The book has a cover from Hajime Katoki.

What's the game like?
Mobile Suit Gundam UC is a robot action game, in which the player assumes the role of Banagher Links, Full Frontal and Marida Cruz. The game will have a simple control scheme similar to the Another Century's Episode game series.
All the mobile suits from the first 3 episodes will be appearing in the game. Transformable mobile suits will be able to transform in the game. Famitsu mentions the "Sub Flight" system, where you can climb atop a Mobile Suit that can switch into flight form.

UC incorporates a cover system, a first for Gundam games.

Scenarios & Modes
Part of the game will follow the story from the viewpoint of the main character Banagher, while other parts will follow the story from the viewpoints of the rival characters Marida and Frontal.

-Blue icons denote missions to clear in the cockpit of a mobile suit. In missions, you play through a situation evoking the events of the original from a character's perspective.
-Monologues display before scenes from the anime, and are fully voiced, allowing characters to show sides never before seen.

Character Routes
Banagher Story Route
The Banagher route will have the player piloting the Unicorn Gundam in both "Unicorn mode" and "Destroy Mode" (with the NT-D system activated). Pilot the Unicorn Gundam and defend Laplace's Box as Banagher
Unicorn Mode lets you experience the story of Mobile Suit Gundam UC from a variety of perspectives.
Frontal Story Route
The Frontal route will have the player in the remnants of the Zeon forces, piloting Frontal's personal mobile suit Sinanju.
Maridas Story Route
The Marida route puts the player in the shoes of the namesake Zeon ace pilot and the Kshatriya mobile suit with its remotely guided Funnel weapons. Battle the Federation as a member of the Sleeves as Marida.

Modes
Custom Cast Mode
Using Custom Cast Mode, you can form a team of your own choosing and take on original challenges.
Several sequential scenarios are set up, through which damage, ammunition usage, and losses are carried over, making cautious fighting a necessity.
You can change units after every mission, when necessary switch to your backups.
-Up to six mobile suits and one ship can be selected. Clear scenarios to unlock new mobile suits and advance your Organization Level, opening up new characters and features.
-Fulfill requirements in a mission to open up more difficult routes. The more difficult your route, the more rare mobile suits and weapons you unlock.
-Your chosen wingmen will talk among themselves before takeoff, during battle, and after the mission.

Screenshots

4SJ8v.jpg

4fD72.jpg

R8npD.jpg

vFj0S.jpg

Trophies
http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/mobile-suit-gundam-uc/trophies/

DLC

http://uc.channel.or.jp/dlc/index.html

Special Mission
“The War After the War” ("Sengo no Senso") 500 yen
A new scenario written by novel author Harutoshi Fukui, and the Gundam Delta Chi and Sinanju Stein, designed by Hajime Katoki. Fukui's new scenario will feature both the Sinanju Stein and Angelo's Geara Doga. In an all-new story with the plot to seize the Sinanju.

Mobile Suits
MSN-001 Delta Gundam
1NJZs.jpg

The first pressing of the game will include a code redeemable for DLC of the golden Delta Gundam as a playable unit.

MSN-001X Gundam Delta Chi
The download of the Gundam Delta Chi allows players to take part in the mission "Sengo no Senso".

MSN-06S Sinanju Stein
The download of the Sinanju Stein allows players to take part in the mission "Sengo no Senso".

ReZEL
The ReZEL from Mobile Suit Gundam UC Bandes Dessinée is also planned.

Geara Doga (Full Fontal) -- free

Jegan -- free

Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4n3u-zqeBhk#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6f5pdiyxMms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kzxH1Vvs7JU

30 second TV commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uy4xc63vH98

Tookay

Ah, does Unicorn take place after Zeta?

Sorry, I've been out of the Gundam loop since 00.

Yes, it takes place after Char's Counterattack actually.

You should get back into Unicorn at least. It's been really good. Gundam at its best in a long time.

I wonder if when part 2 comes if they will just bundle them together. Rather just wait for that even if I think Unicorn is rather medicore. Would be cool if part 2 just upped the content with some other what if missions. I mean one of the characters possibly could be up for some ZZ missions.

I wonder if when part 2 comes if they will just bundle them together. Rather just wait for that even if I think Unicorn is rather medicore. Would be cool if part 2 just upped the content with some other what if missions. I mean one of the characters possibly could be up for some ZZ missions.

Journey to Jaburo and Encouters in Space never got bundled (well, they did as part of the EiS LE box. Jaburo 1.5 was an extra). Figure they'll release them separately and make you pay twice. This is Bandai Namco, afterall.

Journey to Jaburo and Encouters in Space never got bundled (well, they did as part of the EiS LE box. Jaburo 1.5 was an extra). Figure they'll release them separately and make you pay twice. This is Bandai Namco, afterall.

Good point. But then I also hope part 2 is like EiS and is filled with extra non-Unicorn relegated missions. Hathaway's Flash anyone?

frequency

March 8?

Aww... I just put in an order for something yesterday. I guess I'll have to endure the extra shipping cost.

After some Musou and VS, I really needed a game like this.
Not sure about this cover system thing though.

FROM Software needs to get going with the next Another Century's Episode game. There have been enough mecha shows since R for another game.

Ken

Yes, it takes place after Char's Counterattack actually.

You should get back into Unicorn at least. It's been really good. Gundam at its best in a long time.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might when I have time.

Aselith

You ever imported before? Should be fine if you're familiar with the source material.

I have a few Japanese Saturn and PSP games that I acquired recently like I got Vampire Hunter which I can play fine and Tenchu 4 PSP which I can play fine except I can't figure out a lot of the menus so I don't know what's going on there when I try to save and stuff.

I guess the main thing would be if this is focused around combat with very little cutscene and menu stuff going on. If it has pretty complex menus then I'd say it's a no go for me. Gundam would pretty much be select a Gundam a roll out though, right? Also, if the controls are fairly complex so that it needs that stuff explained in text form that could be an issue.

Here are the controls:

UKCEd.jpg

Circle: lock-on to nearest hostile target
X: dodge/evade
Square: ranged attack
Triangle: melee attack
Left Stick: movement
Right Stick: camera
R1: ascend
R2: descend
L1: shift mode
L2: guard
D-Pad Up: replacement attack (up)*
D-Pad Down: replacement attack (down)*
D-Pad Left: support (left)*
D-Pad Right: support (right)*
Left Stick (flick/snap): step
L1 + L3 (flick/snap): quick step / emergency approach
R1 (double tap): boost up
R2 (double tap): boost down
X (double tap): turn (180 degree turn maybe?)
L1 + Square: sub weapon 1
L1 + Triangle: sub weapon 2
L1 + Circle: sub weapon 3
L1 + Cross: sub weapon 4
Triangle (hold): melee attack (strong)
R1 + Triangle: melee attack (upper)
R2 + Triangle: melee attack (lower)
Left Stick Up + Triangle: melee attack (thrust)
Triangle (emergency approach inside): melee attack (emergency approach)
L2 + Triangle: guard counter
L3: transform
L1 + L3: sub-flight mode

You can also use a dumbed down "easy mode" control setup.

Aselith

Thanks for that. I reckon with that stuff translated I would be fine. Is there a demo on the Japanese PSN? That might be the easiest way for me to get an idea if the game is for me. If not I'll watch some youtube videos after it comes out and see what's up.

lol thread title. Hope to hear impressions soon.

Like I said before, I should have my copy from Ami Ami on Saturday. I'm always honest about the quality of these things.

Thanks for that. I reckon with that stuff translated I would be fine. Is there a demo on the Japanese PSN? That might be the easiest way for me to get an idea if the game is for me. If not I'll watch some youtube videos after it comes out and see what's up.

No demo. There is a trailer on the Japanese store, though.

Information on the first round of DLC is available.

http://uc.channel.or.jp/dlc/index.html

Missions:
“Event Zero: The War After the War”mobile suit and mission pack is 500 yen. -- Includes Sinaju Stein and Geara Doga (Angelo unit)
"Versus Sinaju Stein" battle mission is free.
"Versus Delta Gundam and Quattro Bagina" battle mission comes with the HGUC Delta Gundam model. Will more than likely become paid DLC in the future.

Mobile Suits:
Geara Doga (Full Frontal unit) is free.
Jegan is free.
Delta Gundam is a first pressing bonus.

Finally got my copy of the game today. Played for a few minutes, controls much better than ACE R. I need to finish up Mass Effect 3 and then I'm all over this.

itulD.jpg

So I was filliping through the game manual tonight and was reading the page about DLC...

Of the DLC shown on page 33, one is the ReZel from Bande Desinee. Another one shows logos for Anaheim Electronics, Londo Bell and Amuro's signature "A" logo...

Hmm... Toru Furuya said he was doing something for the game...

Second round of DLC is up on the PSN store. Some free characters and vs. missions, and then this stuff:

Emblem pack (Londo Bell, AE, Amuro Logo) -- 100 yen
Angelo Sauper Mission Pack -- 300 yen
ReZel (Defenser a) character and mission pack -- 500 yen
ReZel (Defenser b) character and mission pack -- 500 yen
Delta Gundam Kai character and mission pack -- 500 yen

Yeouch.

Buying everything but the emblems.

Round three of DLC is up.

Free unless noted

Silver Bullet mission pack 500 yen
Weapons pack 100 yen -- Sinjau and Geara Doga rifles
Emblem pack 2 -- 100 yen
Emblem pack 3 -- 100 yen
Movie pack -- Otto
Movie pack -- Zimmerman
Versus Silver Bullet mission

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHJV6KeFPgA&feature=player_embedded

Also, there is a new TV commercial that shows Full Armor Unicorn, so it's probably incoming. 700 yen left in my account, you're gonna milk it out of me aren't you, Bandai Namco... aren't you?!?!

DLC Round Four

Full Armor Unicorn Mission Pack 500 yen
Silver Bullet (Funnels) Mission Pack 500 yen
More emblems 100 yen
More free characters

Top Bottom