• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare II is the fastest selling Call of Duty ever and surpassed $800 million in its opening weekend, beating out the previous record holder

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Deserved! Game is a ton of fun.
I'm not a CoD fan, is there something special about MW2? Nostalgia or something?

MW 2022 is Infinity Ward’s next entry, which is the primary developer of the series. Treyarch is the other major series developer, but they recently put out Cold War in 2020 which had mixed reception. Infinity Ward on the other hand put out MW 2019 which was largely seen as a reviltilization of the franchise. It introduced a nee engine and of course an obscure side game called Warzone. MW 2022 is also special because it is the main cod for 2 years, there’s no Call of Duty game launching in 2023 which is unprecedented.

TL;DR this game is a big deal for cod fans.

I'm curious why Modern Warfare II is so much more wildly popular this year vs. previous years.

I'm not a CoD fan, is there something special about MW2? Nostalgia or something?

Probably helps having two huge corporation publicly playing tug o war with it

Can’t really ask for better marketing than what COD got this year.

Last edited:

K' Dash

I was in NYC for a week, returning home today, I couldn’t believe the amount of marketing this game has in USA, those giant banners at Times Square have to be expensive AF, also, every other tv commercial was MW, shit’s crazy.

A lot of you are really upset about this,crazy, I can’t figure out why? Lol

Mw2 had the modern warfare 2019 engine, and has an insane amount of hours and teams that were put into the development…..but even more than that

It’s cod

I know it’s hard for alot of this site, but this is the most popular franchise for gaming in the world. I’m really sorry about that tho.

Last edited:
Is MW2 actually considered any different in terms of quality, though? Like is it objectively a better game or something?
I mean the game originally came out 13 years ago, not sure if you were old enough in 2009 to have a cognitive conscious of understanding of what was going on at the time.

It’s the direct sequel to COD 4 but its the 6th installment in the COD franchise.

I was in NYC for a week, returning home today, I couldn’t believe the amount of marketing this game has in USA, those giant banners at Times Square have to be expensive AF, also, every other tv commercial was MW, shit’s crazy.
Dude, every big release is like that in the city(I I live there) going all the way back to 2004 for Halo 2 plastered on every block in mid-town. He’ll even all the way back in the summer of 97’ Final Fantasy had ads plastered in Time Square.

TheGecko

Banned
Marine Life Reaction GIF by pikaole

wipeout364

People don’t like ww2 weapons or Vietnam weapons.
I am just going to say that while I agree that WW2 is terrible I would have to disagree with the Cold War.

I absolutely loved Black ops 1which is arguably my favorite campaign. I also thought Black ops :Cold War was amazing although I understand why it was not popular. Treyarch are a quality studio and they constantly hit deadlines and deliver more quality content then any other studio.

I agree 100% with your comments on sledgehammmer, they need a complete restructuring they are not good at hitting deadlines or making good games. Which is too bad because they had shown promise; advanced warfare was kind of a fun COD with a solid campaign. But it’s been garbage since then.

HTK

Banned
I'm curious why Modern Warfare II is so much more wildly popular this year vs. previous years.

It’s the name, modern setting, and their marketing budget.

Oh yeah and Warzone 2, because once Warzone 2 launches you can bet MP will literary drop dead.

CoD MP is nothing more than a way to unlock your attachments so you’re ready for Warzone 2 meta.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I mean the game originally came out 13 years ago, not sure if you were old enough in 2009 to have a cognitive conscious of understanding of what was going on at the time.

It’s the direct sequel to COD 4 but its the 6th installment in the COD franchise.

Yes my cognitive conscious understanding is that all CoD single player games are basically the same dumb wack a mole 5 hour romps

K' Dash

Dude, every big release is like that in the city(I I live there) going all the way back to 2004 for Halo 2 plastered on every block in mid-town. He’ll even all the way back in the summer of 97’ Final Fantasy had ads plastered in Time Square.

As a person who lives in a place where video games are mostly ignored and nobody spends a dime on their advertising, it was amazing to me, the giant banners everywhere looked cool.

clarky

Gold Member
Oh yeah and Warzone 2, because once Warzone 2 launches you can bet MP will literary drop dead.

CoD MP is nothing more than a way to unlock your attachments so you’re ready for Warzone 2 meta.
This didnt happen with 2019. Why do you think it will happen with this?

2019 is still going strong, well it was until last Friday. your saying ten million players roughly are going to drop the game in less than 3 weeks? People love to spin a narrative that this game is dying somehow.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Official update from Activision Blizzard. New all-time record set for number of players online for the opening weekend & number of hours played through opening weekend.

Grossed $800M through opening weekend instead of the rumored $600M.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
This didnt happen with 2019. Why do you think it will happen with this?

2019 is still going strong, well it was until last Friday. your saying ten million players roughly are going to drop the game in less than 3 weeks? People love to spin a narrative that this game is dying somehow.
It did happen. MP obviously has a player base but it's nowhere near Warzone's player base and that's a fact.

I think Battle Royales and DMZ type of game's are in full effect and therefore traditional style MP will suffer naturally.

kyliethicc

Official update from Activision Blizzard. New all-time record set for number of players online for the opening weekend & number of hours played through opening weekend.

Grossed $800M through opening weekend instead of the rumored $600M.

might as well update the OP and change thread title

clarky

Gold Member
It did happen. MP obviously has a player base but it's nowhere near Warzone's player base and that's a fact.
Obviously one of the biggest FTP titles has a larger player base. You said the release of warzone killed the traditional MP base, and this will do the same. I beg to differ.

While its hard to get actual numbers, 2 million daily players 2 and a half years after launch is hardly dead. And no people are not leveling MW2019 guns for warzone this long after launch.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Obviously one of the biggest FTP titles has a larger player base. You said the release of warzone killed the traditional MP base, and this will do the same. I beg to differ.
Same thing will happen, Warzone 2 will release and nobody will stream multiplayer anymore and youtube videos will be all about Warzone just like last year.

Yes there will be people playing multiplayer but it’ll be peanuts compared to Warzone. Sure it’s free to play but you’re also underestimating how many folks bought Modern Warfare 2 because of Warzone 2 and I’m willing to bet that number is way greater than people think.

Thing is Activision is smart about how they can sell you a $70 traditional CoD and give you a Free to Play MTX game as well, by intertwining the two together.

Fact of the matter is Warzone is Call of Duty, MP is an afterthought and it’s execution is tied to Warzone, just look how the game is designed (small maps big maps) all tied to the Warzone map if that ain’t evidence enough I don’t know what to tell you.

If Warzone didn’t exist, I think the traditional CoD formula would be hurting big time, mainly because all of the innovations for that style of game have been exhausted and in a lot of cases not executed as well as they did in the past.

clarky

Gold Member
Same thing will happen, Warzone 2 will release and nobody will stream multiplayer anymore and youtube videos will be all about Warzone just like last year.

Yes there will be people playing multiplayer but it’ll be peanuts compared to Warzone. Sure it’s free to play but you’re also underestimating how many folks bought Modern Warfare 2 because of Warzone 2 and I’m willing to bet that number is way greater than people think.

Thing is Activision is smart about how they can sell you a $70 traditional CoD and give you a Free to Play MTX game as well, by intertwining the two together.

Fact of the matter is Warzone is Call of Duty, MP is an afterthought and it’s execution is tied to Warzone, just look how the game is designed (small maps big maps) all tied to the Warzone map if that ain’t evidence enough I don’t know what to tell you.

If Warzone didn’t exist, I think the traditional CoD formula would be hurting big time, mainly because all of the innovations for that style of game have been exhausted and in a lot of cases not executed as well as they did in the past.
$800 million dollars says different.

Like i just said above, 2 million daily players is hardly peanuts. That dwarfs 99% of multiplayer titles out there, most dev's would kill to have that player base.

The fact that warzone is super successful doesn't take away from the fact the traditional MP is very much alive and kicking. COD has been doing numbers for years, don't know why you'd think it would be dead if it wasn't for warzone.

Edit: Who give a shit a streamers? 90% of COD's traditional player base probably doesn't even know what twitch is. The disconnect between the mass market and us nerds is real.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

Basically CoD/Warzone is replicating the FIFA/FUT model. They are having their cake and eating it. FIFA (or whatever EA call it next) is in a strong position to keep doing that as they have all the official licenses, so it makes it hard for a competitor to come in and take their place, but like CoD competitors have been faltering too. However, I think someone could eventually out 'Warzone' CoD and if that is free to play, it could seriously diminish CoD's stranglehold on this space.

That said though, despite Apex, Battlefield, Fortnite, PubG etc. CoD is still holding on string at the moment, it will be interesting how it all unfolds in the coming years. I just hope they keep making campaigns, even if eventually they are the DLC for the F2P game :messenger_beaming:

HTK

Banned
$800 million dollars says different.

Like i just said above, 2 million daily players is hardly peanuts. That dwarfs 99% of multiplayer titles out there, most dev's would kill to have that player base.

The fact that warzone is super successful doesn't take away from the fact the traditional MP is very much alive and kicking. COD has been doing numbers for years, don't know why you'd think it would be dead if it wasn't for warzone.

Edit: Who give a shit a streamers? 90% of COD's traditional player base probably doesn't even know what twitch is. The disconnect between the mass market and us nerds is real.
Yeah but you're assuming $800 million dollars is because of their amazing multiplayer and it's just not the case.

Just look at their marketing campaign...

1) Release Campaign before MP. Now people are talking about a mediocre campaign and I'm sure the MW2 campaign is the most played campaign in CoD history just the way they released it.
2) Release MP, we'll give you 2 weeks to grind out camos and level up your guns for your attachments for (Warzone). MP itself is nothing special, in fact it's lacking quite a bit of features compared to older MPs.
3) Warzone 2 (The main course.)

Now, if I'm a Warzone only player. Guess what...I'll be hurting. Because if I want to unlock attachments quick I need that MP.

Like I said, these things are much deeper but we all see what the real Call of Duty attraction is and it's Warzone. MP design is dictated by Warzone and that's it.

Warzone at one point had 150 million players...so yes your 2 million is peanuts in comparison. Keep in mind old school CoDs were averaging around 20 to 30 million players on MP, so in comparison you can see MP took a hit and Warzone put Call of Duty on a whole new plane brother.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah but you're assuming $800 million dollars is because of their amazing multiplayer and it's just not the case.

Just look at their marketing campaign...

1) Release Campaign before MP. Now people are talking about a mediocre campaign and I'm sure the MW2 campaign is the most played campaign in CoD history just the way they released it.
2) Release MP, we'll give you 2 weeks to grind out camos and level up your guns for your attachments for (Warzone). MP itself is nothing special, in fact it's lacking quite a bit of features compared to older MPs.
3) Warzone 2 (The main course.)

Now, if I'm a Warzone only player. Guess what...I'll be hurting. Because if I want to unlock attachments quick I need that MP.

Like I said, these things are much deeper but we all see what the real Call of Duty attraction is and it's Warzone. MP design is dictated by Warzone and that's it.

Warzone at one point had 150 million players...so yes your 2 million is peanuts in comparison. Keep in mind old school CoDs were averaging around 20 to 30 million players on MP, so in comparison you can see MP took a hit and Warzone put Call of Duty on a whole new plane brother.
Hogwash. Show me any COD that had 20 million daily players 2 years after launch.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Hogwash. Show me any COD that had 20 million daily players 2 years after launch.
I'm talking about their peak, show me a CoD after 2 years that average 2 million daily without Warzone. Because if you don't think Warzone has added a whole lot of new Call of Duty players you're out of your mind, and because of that and Activision's model you may see an increase across the board but mainly it's because of Warzone.

Call of Duty without Warzone might be in the same shoes as Battlefield, not to that extreme because Battlefield really tanked but it would be on a slump. But in comparison to other games obviously it still the most successful shooter period.

clarky

Gold Member
I'm talking about their peak, show me a CoD after 2 years that average 2 million daily without Warzone. Because if you don't think Warzone has added a whole lot of new Call of Duty players you're out of your mind, and because of that and Activision's model you may see an increase across the board but mainly it's because of Warzone.

Call of Duty without Warzone might be in the same shoes as Battlefield, not to that extreme because Battlefield really tanked but it would be on a slump. But in comparison to other games obviously it still the most successful shooter period.
why where vangaurd sales in the shitter by cod standards then if like you say people only buy it because warzone?

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
why where vangard sales in the shitter by cod standards then if lile you say people only buy it because warzone?
Personally, I think Vanguard was not a good Call of Duty game and I don't think people really wanted a World War 2 theme. Warzone also suffered by the Vanguard overhaul.

I think they've learned their lesson, obviously MW2019, BLOPS, and Vanguard were done in a traditional single studio manner using different engines. This really kept introducing a lot of bugs and problems when forcing all these different assets, and design thinking approaches to their individual games into Warzone. It caused a lot of problems and a lot of people didn't want to deal with all of those issues, cheaters, and Caldera wasn't their cup of tea etc...

I think now with Warzone 2 and MW2 they hit a reset button. I think going forward all of the studios will use the same engine and it's a 2 year product instead of 1 year. So by the time Treyarch comes along in 2024 Holiday, they will have their game on the same engine but enhanced a bit with their style along with their take on Warzone 3 for example. But again it won't be 100% their take but aesthetically other studios will follow their footprint.

"never heard of this Call of Duty. Is this some kind of "must have" videogame?" - Xbox

:messenger_tears_of_joy: still probably biggest franchise in videogames. All those ppl who skipped Vanguard were just biding their time till the next title... and this is the result. Love it or Hate it, it's still COD and does what it does pretty damn good.

clarky

Gold Member
"never heard of this Call of Duty. Is this some kind of "must have" videogame?" - Xbox

:messenger_tears_of_joy: still probably biggest franchise in videogames. All those ppl who skipped Vanguard were just biding their time till the next title... and this is the result. Love it or Hate it, it's still COD and does what it does pretty damn good.
It'll be dead in 2 weeks though. Apparently.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I haven’t bought a CoD for years, but this does look really good. Even reviews from sources that normally shit on CoD games, are positive.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Because MW 2019 was a return to form for the series and there was a lot of hype for its direct followup. Black Ops and Vanguard were pretty much filler compared to how awesome MW 2019 was.

Top Bottom