• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare II is the fastest selling Call of Duty ever and surpassed $800 million in its opening weekend, beating out the previous record holder

clarky

Gold Member
People are prolly more drawn to MW because thats the COD where most people got in on cod. MW is where and when the shit blow up. So the MW brand is gonna pull in the new and old.
Yup got back into it with 2019 myself after not playing for years. Played Black Ops but MW is where its at for me.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This puts into perspective how fucking gigantic GTA5 was. A phenomenon. That did a Billion in 3 days with less consoles around. And no PC version.

Nuts.

GTA6 will do 1.5 Billion.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
I was told on here CoD wouldn’t be the biggest game of the year but, so confusing. Like it is nearly every year of the past decade and only getting bigger.

nemiroff

Gold Member
No. Its the multiplayer, and the modern setting, that drives sales.
With that said, the campaign has a near 40% completion rate, and a near 100k peak concurrent user number on Steam alone. This is pretty crazy high for a MP centric title on PC. I think the word of mouth of a good campaign definitely had an effect.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

I'm curious why Modern Warfare II is so much more wildly popular this year vs. previous years.

I'm not a CoD fan, is there something special about MW2? Nostalgia or something?
Don't know about others but I played the beta and some of the maps gave better battlefield vibes than dice's battlefield.
I have heard nothing but good things about this year's cod, ignoring the launch woes.

Kerotan

Meanwhile... I struggle to find a 16 vs 16 matches in BF2042! :messenger_beaming: Just sad..
Cod stealing all that battlefield thunder. Ground war mode like battlefield now except more fun. I had more fun with planes in caldera then battlefield lately.

I'll prolly get it cheap just for the campaign; personally just waiting for the next treyarch game.
Somewhat related but I've been thinking a lot about Resident Evil lately. Probably because of playing Shadows of Rose and it being Halloween and all...even booted up Revelations today. My main thought is "why hasn't Capcom been able to recapture the satisfaction from using weapons with their games after RE4". That attention to detail is part of it, maybe even most of it.
Funny enough, I was thinking the exact same thing while watching the video I linked. "Man, the RE8 pistol is a weak ass pea shooter with zero realism compared to these"

Y'all forget that RE4 is pretty much an all out action game built around quick melee combat. The way it sounds reflects this, it wants you to feel powerful and confident so you keep going for the stagger/melee loop.

The shotgun sounds powerful because it is! They want you to feel like this is the weapon to whip out in a tough situation.

RE7/8 wouldn't have the same mood as they do, if enemies kept walking through your handcannon sounding pistol; it's all deliberately designed.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I definitely appreciate CoD multiplayer but are people actually enjoying the campaign?

I always found their campaigns to be extremely bottom of the barrel. They seemed to me, something you’d use to show off graphics to friends. rather than enjoy.

Isn’t it just sequence after sequence of following squad mates around, shooting out whatever alarms/lights they point out to you, shooting a couple brain dead dudes that round a corner, and then engaging in a “cinematic” sequence?

Like every level sort of feels like the introduction sequence to a more nuanced campaign.

I’m not trying to be a dick. I just can’t remember ever being mentally engaged by one of those campaigns. Granted, it’s been a while.

With that said, the campaign has a near 40% completion rate, and a near 100k peak concurrent user number on Steam alone. This is pretty crazy high for a MP centric title on PC. I think the word of mouth of a good campaign definitely had an effect.
mixed reviews though, weird

Yes my cognitive conscious understanding is that all CoD single player games are basically the same dumb wack a mole 5 hour romps
Tru-dat dawg, alls it takes is a little critical thinking for this one. It’s the 6th installment of COD and it’s a direct sequel to the only modern setting in the series and it holds a lot of Nostalgic feelings for 10s of millions people, as shown by the opening weekend.

MikeM

I definitely appreciate CoD multiplayer but are people actually enjoying the campaign?

I always found their campaigns to be extremely bottom of the barrel. They seemed to me, something you’d use to show off graphics to friends. rather than enjoy.

Isn’t it just sequence after sequence of following squad mates around, shooting out whatever alarms/lights they point out to you, shooting a couple brain dead dudes that round a corner, and then engaging in a “cinematic” sequence?

Like every level sort of feels like the introduction sequence to a more nuanced campaign.

I’m not trying to be a dick. I just can’t remember ever being mentally engaged by one of those campaigns. Granted, it’s been a while.
Brain dead enemies? Need to up the difficulty man.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Brain dead enemies? Need to up the difficulty man.
Well when I think of the enemies I want to fight in an fps, I think of the a.i. from Halo, Fear, or something like that.

Even years on from those games, the a.i. in Call of Duty never seemed up to par with those initial entries.

Maybe something has changed in the last five years? I’m doubtful, you could say.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Well when I think of the enemies I want to fight in an fps, I think of the a.i. from Halo, Fear, or something like that.

Even years on from those games, the a.i. in Call of Duty never seemed up to par with those initial entries.

Maybe something has changed in the last five years? I’m doubtful, you could say.

You'll get wrecked continually at the hardest two difficulties, the hardest only being unlocked after first playthrough and welcome to instant death which in a game like this means plenty of restarts.

Fun campaign - horrendous multiplayer.

I hope all the camping sloths and shitters are enjoying it because this steaming turd has been hand crafted for your retarded lack of skills.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
You'll get wrecked continually at the hardest two difficulties, the hardest only being unlocked after first playthrough and welcome to instant death which in a game like this means plenty of restarts.
Thanks.

That said, my issue has more to do with the general level design and encounter scenarios, in addition to the (imo) lackluster ai.

I’m wondering if they changed the formula up or innovated at all with this entry or if it’s more of the same.

It looks like the latter to me, which is why the praise is surprising imo

baphomet

The campaign was unlocked a week before the actual game released so of course a pretty large amount of people are going to put the 4 hours into the campaign it takes to finish it.

I finished it. It sucked. Aside from this I think I've only ever finished 1 other cod campaign, but I play them every year.

bender

What time is it?
Y'all forget that RE4 is pretty much an all out action game built around quick melee combat. The way it sounds reflects this, it wants you to feel powerful and confident so you keep going for the stagger/melee loop.

That's not it. I rarely use loop when playing RE4.

That's not it. I rarely use loop when playing RE4.
It is it, regardless if you make use of it or not; in any moment leon is portrayed as an action movie badass, you not using half of his abilities doesn't mean all of the feedback you get isn't built around him being an action movie badass, because it is.

bender

What time is it?
It is it, regardless if you make use of it or not; in any moment leon is portrayed as an action movie badass, you not using half of his abilities doesn't mean all of the feedback you get isn't built around him being an action movie badass, because it is.

I'll give you hit stun as I mentioned in enemy reaction but that's not the sum of what sets it apart, rather a portion. It's also not "half of his abilities either".

I'll give you hit stun as I mentioned in enemy reaction but that's not the sum of what sets it apart, rather a portion. It's also not "half of his abilities either".
It literally is, Leon can either attack ranged, or melee, and seeing how melee is by far the most effective and efficient way to play the game, the feedback you get from it reinforces that.

bender

What time is it?
It literally is, Leon can either attack ranged, or melee, and seeing how melee is by far the most effective and efficient way to play the game, the feedback you get from it reinforces that.

You have a much greater arsenal of ranged weapons that let you attack from distance, medium range and up close. I'd guess the vast majority of players spend much more time shooting than shot/stagger/suplex/roundhouse, knife swipe/suplex/roundhouse, or the QTE sections on things like the Gigante. So calling that half of Leon's abilities is not something we'll agree on. Further it misses the point that just the act of shooting feels better in RE4 than anything that came after it.

You have a much greater arsenal of ranged weapons that let you attack from distance, medium range and up close
and all of those have limited ammo.
I'd guess the vast majority of players spend much more time shooting
Until they realise that just makes them run out of ammo and they can do much more damage by exploding heads with a suplex.
So calling that half of Leon's abilities is not something we'll agree on
Different guns aren't "abilities", he can either shoot or kick, and all shooting enables you to go for a stagger > melee for far more damage than your 5 bullets can do.
Further it misses the point that just the act of shooting feels better in RE4 than anything that came after it.
Already addressed this, it's an action game and you're controlling a badass, all feedback reinforces this; it would entirely miss the point if Ethan fires a desert eagle sound pistol in RE7 while the enemies don't stagger and just keep moving, it's a completely different mood; the games are trying to achieve different things and everything, including sound design and hit feedback is deliberately designed around this.

bender

What time is it?
and all of those have limited ammo.

Until they realise that just makes them run out of ammo and they can do much more damage by exploding heads with a suplex.

Different guns aren't "abilities", he can either shoot or kick, and all shooting enables you to go for a stagger > melee for far more damage than your 5 bullets can do.

Already addressed this, it's an action game and you're controlling a badass, all feedback reinforces this; it would entirely miss the point if Ethan fires a desert eagle sound pistol in RE7 while the enemies don't stagger and just keep moving, it's a completely different mood; the games are trying to achieve different things and everything, including sound design and hit feedback is deliberately designed around this.

The game dynamically scales ammo pickups and very rarely lets you run dry. I'd bet any amount of money that the vast majority of kills that have occurred in RE4 playthroughs come from bullets and not a suplex or roundhouse.

Different guns let you approach encounters different (that's where the range comes in).

Enemies stagger and get knocked back in the later games.

The game dynamically scales ammo pickups and very rarely lets you run dry. I'd bet any amount of money that the vast majority of kills that have occurred in RE4 playthroughs come from bullets and not a suplex or roundhouse.
Sure, but that just means most people are terrible at the game, which is the norm for most games 🤷‍♂️
The ammo also never really "scales up", simply because enemies becomes tougher (instead of 5 it now needs 10 bullets), so relatively speaking the amount of ammo remains constant.
Different guns let you approach encounters different (that's where the range comes in).
Still standing still, aiming and shooting. And all of it still triggers stagger animations, that's just free massive damage left on the table because you prefer shooting.
Enemies stagger and get knocked back in the later games.
....well yes, nobody said they don't, the difference is in the mood, RE7 enemies feel more imposing and dangerous because it takes more to even get them to stagger, that is the entire point of the feedback feeling weaker; if the feedback felt powerful, there would be a disconnect between what you feel is supposed to happen, and the actual result. Again, deliberate design.

No one is arguing against this. You are chasing ghosts.
You clearly are, that's the entire point I've been making, RE4 = powerful and confident badass in an action movie, feedback design reinforces this. RE7 = oppressive and dangerous environment, trying to survive, feedback design reinforces feeling weaker than the enemies.
So to the point of "why do the guns in RE7/8 feel so much weaker than in RE4", because it's on purpose, not because capcom has somehow been "unable to" or whatever weird reasoning.

bender

What time is it?
You clearly are, that's the entire point I've been making, RE4 = powerful and confident badass in an action movie, feedback design reinforces this. RE7 = oppressive and dangerous environment, trying to survive, feedback design reinforces feeling weaker than the enemies.
So to the point of "why do the guns in RE7/8 feel so much weaker than in RE4", because it's on purpose, not because capcom has somehow been "unable to" or whatever weird reasoning.

"I'm rubber, you're glue" is your response? Cute.

My earlier posts weren't just about RE7/8 nor did they mention power of the weapons. Maybe learn to read.

Last edited:

Caffeine

kept crashing for me then every update it just wouldnt start up so i refunded it. the hour or so that i did get to play was alright. but idk why it felt like i was beta testing a release which had beta. probably my worst launch expirence with the franchise since ghosts.

Last edited:
My earlier posts weren't just about RE7/8 nor did they mention power of the weapons. Maybe learn to read.
Ah the classic backtracking and jumping on semantics, maybe learn some comprehension
You say:
"why hasn't Capcom been able to recapture the satisfaction from using weapons with their games after RE4". That attention to detail is part of it, maybe even most of it.
So "power of the weapons" isn't part of "the satisfaction", got it.

Oh wait it is:
RE4's animations, powerful sounds and enemy reactions are just so damned good.
Specifically referring to RE7/8:
Resident Evil 7 and Village might be the worst in the series in this regard.

I guess with powerful sounds you meant something else, maybe Ashley yelling Leon's name over and over.

bender

What time is it?
Ah the classic backtracking and jumping on semantics, maybe learn some comprehension
You say:

So "power of the weapons" isn't part of "the satisfaction", got it.

Oh wait it is:

Specifically referring to RE7/8:

I guess with powerful sounds you meant something else, maybe Ashley yelling Leon's name over and over.

I should learn to comprehend my own thoughts? Gotcha. I'm not backtracking nor using semantics. You just prefer to conflate and twist in order prove a point that no one is arguing against. It's rather droll.

No one said power of a weapon isn't part of the satisfaction but a weapon also doesn't need to be powerful to be satisfying (for example, tranq weapons in MGS which I guess you could argue is powerful in its' own right).

Yes, I called out the powerful sounds of the weapons' in RE4 because they sound great much like I mentioned the reload animations because they look great. I didn't relate the power of the weapons in RE4 to anything that came after it. They are all designed differently and have different design goals which is beyond obvious. And the reason I called out these individual slices (sounds, animations, hit reaction, etc.) is that they make up the satisfaction I find in the game and haven't found since, Capcom or otherwise. That's not a knock on the games that came afterwards as they have their own design philosophies and goals that don't perfectly align with my fun factor like RE4. And I do think RE7/8 have some of the least satisfying gun play since, but that's subjective and you are welcome to have a differing opinion.

Every 4 years people say COD is dead and then it comes back.

There's nothing to compete with it and I think people don't realize that, particularly on consoles. BF ruined its chances and there's not other big player in the game.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
CoD will be the best selling game each year forever, right?

Personally I haven’t bought a CoD at launch since the original MW2.

If these numbers are true, COD will fail to surpass day 1 Fallout 4 sales, which was $750 million on day one. I find it hard to believe that it won't. But we shall see. Shows you what an absolute beast Fallout is though if COD fails to beat that number. That's the number I've been eyeing the whole time for this release.

I expected nothing less. This is the number I was eying for it to beat or be in the vicinity of. Microsoft couldn't have gone for Activision Blizzard at a more perfect time.

I will buy it when the CMA reject the deal

Ohh.. about that.

Top Bottom