• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Pejo

Man, had a good run tonight, cleared all quests up to Urgent at the end of 5* village, did the 3 monster "catch-up" hunt to unlock 3* hub. I'm really getting the hang of wirebug stuff now, it feel really satisfying to use. Switch Axe's wire dodge + sword mode bar fill move is incredibly useful and fits into the kit so well.

I'm really happy to see some of the series staples get new moves. Rathalos and Zinogre both had some new shit that I wasn't expecting, and Zin re-adjusts his ground slams each time now, instead of just casually passing by after you dodge. It really changes the dynamic of those fights to feel more intense. Rath's constant landing and taking off really makes you save your flash bombs now too. I can't believe how good this game is.

I crafted the full Narga set and weapon. The evade distance/window helps so much on SA, and I'm a crit machine with all that affinity now. It seems that crits fill your gauge faster this time? I'm still loving the increased resistance to being tossed off during mounted elmenetal discharge, but I noticed that Zinogre and Magnamalo have more moves that will throw me off now. I'm guessing by HR it's going to be difficult to just use the mounted discharge willynilly, like in old games. It's still pretty much guaranteed free damage and part damage right now still though, so I'm going to ride that train as long as I can.

I'm also thinking of branching off into a second weapon at this point. I feel comfortable enough with the game mechanics now that I can move away from SA and try something else. I'm thinking either SnS/IG/HH or CB, though I think I'm going to save HH and CB for the eventual PC version. Maybe i'll make the Magna SnS and IG, and see which one I like better. They're both going to be "needy" weapons though since I'll likely need to cover elemental bases with the quicker/weaker weapons.

Anybody know if the usual Elemental vs. Raw damage comparisons have been done yet for Rise? I think Raw has won the last 3-4 games in a row now, so I doubt it will be different this time, but I'm always hoping.

Also - tomorrow around 6:30 Pacific, anybody up for a room? I only got to try a single hunt with R6Rider R6Rider yesterday before my gf took over and MH-blocked me with dinner and making me watch her shows with her. The online seemed relatively lag free. The chat on switch is f'ing awful though, and I'm not even thinking about trying to figure out their stupid voice chat mobile app.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Also - tomorrow around 6:30 Pacific, anybody up for a room? I only got to try a single hunt with R6Rider R6Rider R6Rider R6Rider yesterday before my gf took over and MH-blocked me with dinner and making me watch her shows with her. The online seemed relatively lag free. The chat on switch is f'ing awful though, and I'm not even thinking about trying to figure out their stupid voice chat mobile app.
If I’m around I’m down. Not yet sure what the day will bring.
I’ll have to look up the app. I didn’t even realize there was one.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Also - tomorrow around 6:30 Pacific, anybody up for a room? I only got to try a single hunt with R6Rider R6Rider R6Rider R6Rider yesterday before my gf took over and MH-blocked me with dinner and making me watch her shows with her. The online seemed relatively lag free. The chat on switch is f'ing awful though, and I'm not even thinking about trying to figure out their stupid voice chat mobile app.
I'll probably be on again. I did play some random join requests and it's true when there's 4 people playing the effects on screens are everywhere. Can barely see the monster or anything for that matter.

I also tried out some SnS and Lance, but for now I'm going to stick with Hammer as my main. The SnS whirlwind wirebug attack is awesome though.

Whelp! After a few minutes my brain started melting cause the controller messes with everything from the system level.

1. I wish they had per game mappings!
2. I just need certain things customized between sheathed and unsheathed. What does Capcom care how I want my setups? Kind of bummed I keep eating a potion because of the default setup...
Lol, I just remembered if you went with my suggestion it messes up the default item selection process (L+Y/A).

You can sort of have up to three game mappings, the system allows you to save three different custom mappings but I don't think you can name them.

Like someone suggested, you can always keep the item bar slot empty so mashing sheathe doesn't accidentally use an item.

Then assign the important items you want to the radial menu (you can do this in the village at your leisure), where you can have up to 4 sets of 8 items readily available.

If you only need 8 items and are worried you'll accidentally mash into a different set, the game lets you copy and paste the sets so that every set has the same items assigned to the slots you chose.

The devs have thought things out quite thoroughly and a big part of these design choices are because of its "no pause" philosophy: the game continues even when you need to craft, select and use items/ammo etc. The radial menu got added because the pace of the games has sped up and scrolling through 8 or more items will always be cumbersome.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Lol, I just remembered if you went with my suggestion it messes up the default item selection process (L+Y/A).

You can sort of have up to three game mappings, the system allows you to save three different custom mappings but I don't think you can name them.

Like someone suggested, you can always keep the item bar slot empty so mashing sheathe doesn't accidentally use an item.

Then assign the important items you want to the radial menu (you can do this in the village at your leisure), where you can have up to 4 sets of 8 items readily available.

If you only need 8 items and are worried you'll accidentally mash into a different set, the game lets you copy and paste the sets so that every set has the same items assigned to the slots you chose.

The devs have thought things out quite thoroughly and a big part of these design choices are because of its "no pause" philosophy: the game continues even when you need to craft, select and use items/ammo etc. The radial menu got added because the pace of the games has sped up and scrolling through 8 or more items will always be cumbersome.
Yeah, the radial menu is huge. Definitely the fastest way to switch anything you need, whether it's items, ammo, or emotes.

I still need to set mine up and practice with it a bit.

Yeah, the radial menu is huge. Definitely the fastest way to switch anything you need, whether it's items, ammo, or emotes.
Definitely one of the biggest QOL changes MHW introduced, I was both impressed and surprised when I first saw it in the MHW demo.
I still need to set mine up and practice with it a bit.
This is the right and best attitude towards any game with a learning curve. Just make sure to fill every slot with emotes and practise cancelling them into each other, lol.

Punished Miku

Definitely one of the biggest QOL changes MHW introduced, I was both impressed and surprised when I first saw it in the MHW demo.

This is the right and best attitude towards any game with a learning curve. Just make sure to fill every slot with emotes and practise cancelling them into each other, lol.
Yep, it takes work to get your emotes and pose game down. But it's so worth it lol.

That's how you farm the likes.

FYI: I got my 3rd set of items for likes, got 20 Hardshell Powders.

Skifi28

Low rank Magnamalo wasn't as bad as I expected. I went completely unprepared without having fought him in the demo and beat him first try *flex*

But he did make me cart for the first time. I just hope high rank is a little more challenging in general because the game has been waaaaay too easy so far. Hunters have become completely overpowered while monsters feel nerfed from World/Iceborne.

Yep, it takes work to get your emotes and pose game down. But it's so worth it lol.

That's how you farm the likes.

FYI: I got my 3rd set of items for likes, got 20 Hardshell Powders.
Haha I have no idea. Not a multiplayer person in MH though I might try it later on at some point, just to see what people mean when they say it feels better than expected, relative to Nintendo's other online offerings.

Just so you know what kind of odd player you're talking to, I deleted my save data so that I wouldn't get the bonuses, which in my eyes are meant to help newer players.

Still, the thrill of receiving stuff cause of likes or luck (lottery) is undeniable and if it makes more players happy, then the devs have done a great job.

Pejo

Low rank Magnamalo wasn't as bad as I expected. I went completely unprepared without having fought him in the demo and beat him first try *flex*

But he did make me cart for the first time. I just hope high rank is a little more challenging in general because the game has been waaaaay too easy so far. Hunters have become completely overpowered while monsters feel nerfed from World/Iceborne.
It picks up quite a bit After the first Magna hunt. Even old favorites are going to give you something new to look out for.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I got my first urgent rampage hub quest with Apex Arzuros, I have full Almudron's armour set and Sinister Long Sword II but I feel like I need to get better gear for tackling that quest.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Haha I have no idea. Not a multiplayer person in MH though I might try it later on at some point, just to see what people mean when they say it feels better than expected, relative to Nintendo's other online offerings.

Just so you know what kind of odd player you're talking to, I deleted my save data so that I wouldn't get the bonuses, which in my eyes are meant to help newer players.

Still, the thrill of receiving stuff cause of likes or luck (lottery) is undeniable and if it makes more players happy, then the devs have done a great job.
I think the bonus like items are all geared towards helping other players out, like lifepowder, etc.

I'm an old FFXI White Mage, so I like healing other players in pretty much all multiplayer games if it's possible. I like the challenge of not just keeping myself alive, but chipping in on buffing / healing the group. Been shooting a lot of teammates with recovery ammo mostly (but the poses and emotes surely help a little bit lol).

I think the bonus like items are all geared towards helping other players out, like lifepowder, etc.

I'm an old FFXI White Mage, so I like healing other players in pretty much all multiplayer games if it's possible. I like the challenge of not just keeping myself alive, but chipping in on buffing / healing the group. Been shooting a lot of teammates with recovery ammo mostly (but the poses and emotes surely help a little bit lol).
I think I remember a bunch of Mega Potions in there as well. I mainly used Lifepowders to get my palamute back on his feet after Maggie slapped us around in the demo, so yea it's not just for MP, heh.

Oh I can relate with the second part a lot, was a very voluntary tank/support in Overwatch, with a heavy emphasis on consideration towards the team. I'm guessing if I did play MP MH, I'd be using my CB to block attacks from reaching my team, assuming it works and they need it.

I'm an old FFXI White Mage

my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Currently doing 4-star Village quests and stuck on the Hellfire/Magnamalo Hub quest because I can't seem to get a decent group.

I'd probably be a lot further along but I keep going back and doing easier hunts to test new (to me) weapons.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah as far as i know don't think can grow anything in Rise.
Oh shit.

i have a technical question about the switchaxe, does the exhaustion phial work when you do the grabbing sum discharge in a part that is not the head? like does the monster still exhausted by the attack if i'm grabbing his leg or tail?! i guess aiming to the head is always better for stun and exhaustion but does it mean that has zero effect on another part of the monster?!

Pejo

Oh shit.

i have a technical question about the switchaxe, does the exhaustion phial work when you do the grabbing sum discharge in a part that is not the head? like does the monster still exhausted by the attack if i'm grabbing his leg or tail?! i guess aiming to the head is always better for stun and exhaustion but does it mean that has zero effect on another part of the monster?!
Pretty sure since it does exhaust "type" damage, any hit applies at least some exhaust to the monster. Haven't tested this personally though. I know that's how it works for stuff like sleep/poison/paralysis phials though, so I doubt it would be different for exhaust. A side bonus - the phial effect is now applied to regular sword swings and even axe attacks when the weapon is supercharged now. It's bonkers. When a monster is knocked down or immobile, I love doing a supercharged wild swing axe combo, so much damage.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Pretty sure since it does exhaust "type" damage, any hit applies at least some exhaust to the monster. Haven't tested this personally though. I know that's how it works for stuff like sleep/poison/paralysis phials though, so I doubt it would be different for exhaust. A side bonus - the phial effect is now applied to regular sword swings and even axe attacks when the weapon is supercharged now. It's bonkers. When a monster is knocked down or immobile, I love doing a supercharged wild swing axe combo, so much damage.
What? when i charge the axe i also do phial damage? how sure are you about this?

wait when you say supercharged do you mean the 45 sec state after the overhand slash after the wild swings or when you the sword mode is in amped mode but you are in axe mode?!

The wild swing combo is not the most damage combo you can do btw.

Last edited:

Pejo

What? when i charge the axe i also do phial damage? how sure are you about this?

wait when you say supercharged do you mean the 45 sec state after the overhand slash after the wild swings or when you the sword mode is in amped mode but you are in axe mode?!

The wild swing combo is not the most damage combo you can do btw.
Yea sorry, so many different parts of the playerbase call it different things. Amped mode as you describe it (the 45 seconds after the bar fills up in sword mode and the whole sword icon starts blinking) now applies extra damage even if you morph back into axe mode, for every single hit. It makes a perfect gameplay loop now of: buff sword mode by doing wild swing into the double smash (to increase the gain of amped mode) -> go into sword mode and build amp charge until you're in super amped or whatever you want to call it -> discharge or super discharge sword -> either wirebug refill using ZL + A and go back into sword mode and keep attacking OR now you can actually stay in axe mode and do extra phial hits while you build up the sword mode buff again.

I realize that sounds very confusing, but as a SA user, hopefully you get what I mean. It's a long way of saying that axe mode is VERY viable this time, and can be great vs. the faster and more mobile enemies.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yea sorry, so many different parts of the playerbase call it different things. Amped mode as you describe it (the 45 seconds after the bar fills up in sword mode and the whole sword icon starts blinking) now applies extra damage even if you morph back into axe mode, for every single hit. It makes a perfect gameplay loop now of: buff sword mode by doing wild swing into the double smash (to increase the gain of amped mode) -> go into sword mode and build amp charge until you're in super amped or whatever you want to call it -> discharge or super discharge sword -> either wirebug refill using ZL + A and go back into sword mode and keep attacking OR now you can actually stay in axe mode and do extra phial hits while you build up the sword mode buff again.

I realize that sounds very confusing, but as a SA user, hopefully you get what I mean. It's a long way of saying that axe mode is VERY viable this time, and can be great vs. the faster and more mobile enemies.
wait, are you talking about rise? i was talking about iceborne...do you know if it is like that even in iceborne?!

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got to the 3rd set of quests with the Ivory Rabbit LS and a couple pieces of the Baggi set for strength. I did one Rampage. Which makes me think that those really help your progression. At first it felt weird, but then it made sense. It was like taking a break from the core gameplay loop for a while. Should I be hitting more than 25 HP per hit at this stage? I plan to do the whole thing solo. I'm thinking I'll focus on getting better gear once I start high rank. It feels like everyone is at high rank atm. lol I'm taking my time with it and I'm having a blast.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Gymwolf you should just cave and get Rise. It’s easily the best in the series. It’s not perfect but it’s great nonetheless.
I'm kinda waiting the end of april to see what they add\improve.

Best in the series is highly subjective, like i said i love world so much and the more i play it the more i love it and the demo of rise didn't convinced me for a lot of reasons that i already explained, maybe playing the complete game is a much better experience, until then, world is still my favourite by a noticeable margin.

I got to the 3rd set of quests with the Ivory Rabbit LS and a couple pieces of the Baggi set for strength. I did one Rampage. Which makes me think that those really help your progression. At first it felt weird, but then it made sense. It was like taking a break from the core gameplay loop for a while. Should I be hitting more than 25 HP per hit at this stage? I plan to do the whole thing solo. I'm thinking I'll focus on getting better gear once I start high rank. It feels like everyone is at high rank atm. lol I'm taking my time with it and I'm having a blast.
I think the only metric you need is whether you can finish the hunt within the given time limit.

I remember Gold Rathian being a wall in MH4U and I had to specifically craft gear against roars and wind pressure to deal with her. Point being, until you hit such a wall you shouldn't need to fuss over gear attributes, just hunt and have fun, especially since you're doing it solo like Danjin and I.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized my first point might not work if you don't fancy trying the hunt again after 50 minutes lol. You could set a time limit for when the monster starts limping or when your palico (if you bring one) specifically tells you the monster is weak.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Finally got the 4* village urgent magnamalo.

What a beast! I always enjoy the first run against the flagships, they're always a thrill.

Later took down a village nargacuga... I'm going to make that set because fuck you it's an iconic monster hunter set. And the weapon, of course!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

What a beast! I always enjoy the first run against the flagships, they're always a thrill.

Later took down a village nargacuga... I'm going to make that set because fuck you it's an iconic monster hunter set. And the weapon, of course!
You are gonna love the Magnamalo hub's quest my man. Fight is even harder and I would say it displays even more moves.

I'm more or less at your level but I've crafted the Zinogre set instead. Looks cool as fuck and I loved fighting that beast.

Are you guys playing a lot of online? I'm kinda missing it due to my current shitty internet connection (only played a few times with a pal) but I'm hoping to dive into it in a week or two.

For now I'll be beating the village quests and doing the low rank hub by my own. I just the the Rathalos one and fuck, that dude hits hard.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm kinda waiting the end of april to see what they add\improve.

Best in the series is highly subjective, like i said i love world so much and the more i play it the more i love it and the demo of rise didn't convinced me for a lot of reasons that i already explained, maybe playing the complete game is a much better experience, until then, world is still my favourite by a noticeable margin.
You’ve spent more time posting about it than it would take to beat. Brother, join us. Even if it’s not as good as World for you, it’s still a new MH.

The demo is meh. Full game is awesome. Once you acclimate to palimutes, it’s hard to go back.

Pejo

Narga's evade extender/evasion window alone makes it a great set for quite a few weapons. Narga is one of those frustrating monsters for me that has a 1-2 punch of an instant jump-back dodge and hardened forearms so your weapons bounce often without mind's eye. What a pain in the ass to fight. Still, I did the same as you and that's the set I'm currently rocking. Full Narga armor and Narga SA.

I fought Almudron a few times now, his set has a new skill that looks pretty sweet for SA. He's got a pretty cool moveset. Is there some way to get him to drop his tail mud ball after he makes it? I tried flashing him to drop it, but that didn't work, and neither does knocking him down. Hitting the tail doesn't seem like it worked either, but I couldn't get at it very much because he's always moving.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You are gonna love the Magnamalo hub's quest my man. Fight is even harder and I would say it displays even more moves.

I'm more or less at your level but I've crafted the Zinogre set instead. Looks cool as fuck and I loved fighting that beast.

Are you guys playing a lot of online? I'm kinda missing it due to my current shitty internet connection (only played a few times with a pal) but I'm hoping to dive into it in a week or two.

For now I'll be beating the village quests and doing the low rank hub by my own. I just the the Rathalos one and fuck, that dude hits hard.

A little bit.

I'm in a discord with some locals (wink) if you're interested I can see that you get an invite.

Last edited:
The demo is meh. Full game is awesome.
I like the demo but it's almost certainly an older build.

One of my gripes in the demo was that the CB's sword and shield wouldn't glow when charged, which was something MHXX did. It matters to me cause I turn off as many HUD elements as possible when I can.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see it got fixed in the final game (granted it was apparent in the Goss Harag hunt they uploaded on YT as well). Oh and there's also better HD rumble utilisation in the full game vs the demo. Only 'major' thing the full game hasn't fixed yet is handheld gyro not having roll as an axis option; currently only yaw is available.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Also - tomorrow around 6:30 Pacific, anybody up for a room? I only got to try a single hunt with R6Rider R6Rider yesterday before my gf took over and MH-blocked me with dinner and making me watch her shows with her. The online seemed relatively lag free. The chat on switch is f'ing awful though, and I'm not even thinking about trying to figure out their stupid voice chat mobile app.
I'd be up for joining you all, but like you I haven't bothered to figure out the nintendo app for voice chat!

I'm up for pretty much anything, but I just hit 7* HR last night and some of those dudes are hitting MUCH harder and I'm working on moving off of the last piece of my green S gear. Well, except for the Ingot S legs. Those are too good to move off of yet imo.

Rakna-Kadaki (Spider) is no joke. That thing can and has carted me in 5 seconds when I got sloppy! And the bugger takes off all the damned time. That has been my longest hunt up to this point so far.

After my lengthy Barroth hunt, it was time for me to do the fourth quest that unlocks the game progression, leading to 4 star quests.

As I do things in order of difficulty, this fourth hunt was none other than Tetranadon, a sumo-inspired Zamtrios. To match his obvious gluttony, I tried my first ever dango meal at the village (okay, it's also cause I ran out of stamina vs Barroth, so I figured I should eat something as prep).

And damn, my first thought was "this cutscene is amazing!". It's basically a microcosm of the love and care put into this charming game.

The order in which you pick your dango is also how they prepare it in the cutscene (next time I'm making a traffic light dango).

The lyrics, much like those in the other cutscenes are localized to rhyme and in this case, even to match the sung syllables where possible. And these scenes contain three sung languages (English, Japanese and Monhanese). It's simply an incredible effort, though I should point out lip synching seems to be done only for the JP voices.

Anyway, you know the trope about Ubisoft towers being used to give you oversight of a large area? You can do it in MHR organically. See if you can spot the fat 'don in this handheld footage.

BTW apparently this game will come to PC. Nintendo signed a 15 or 22 million dollar exclusivity deal with Capcom + 2 million just for being on the Switch. With markers in the game for PC. So in the end it will be 16 million or so I think. That said the number of PC/Switch combo owners might make this sell less.

PC version info:

Exclusivity deal

Last edited:
Top Bottom