• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat: National Tournament | Las Vegas, Nevada | May 14 - May 15, 2011

DrDogg

fernoca said:
If anyone knows of players that will be there, let me know to add them to the OP..as I know like 3 only and don't want to put a section with just those.... :p

EG Justin Wong
EMP Tom Brady / MKL (only playing in the side tournaments)
LI Joe / ILU Joe
Calipower
MarkMan
Krayzie Bone
EMP Perfect Legend
JOP
Floe
Wonder_Chef

I would be there, but I refuse to play on the PDP stick. I don't like stick for MK9 at all, but I can't even attempt to play on Happ parts. -_-

Enk

makes good threads.
DrDogg said:
EG Justin Wong
LI Joe / ILU Joe
Calipower
MarkMan
Krayzie Bone
EMP Perfect Legend
JOP
Floe
Wonder_Chef

I would be there, but I refuse to play on the PDP stick. I don't like stick for MK9 at all, but I can't even attempt to play on Happ parts. -_-

I think Mike Ross and Gootecks mentioned on their show a couple times that they're going to be there.

fernoca

DrDogg said:
EG Justin Wong
LI Joe / ILU Joe
Calipower
MarkMan
Krayzie Bone
EMP Perfect Legend
JOP
Floe
Wonder_Chef

Cool. Only knew of Justin, LI Joe. adding them to the OP.

And this too:
Enk said:
I think Mike Ross and Gootecks mentioned on their show a couple times that they're going to be there.
DryEyeRelief said:

EDIT:
Moved 'Misc. Questions' to nearly the end, as it was taking too much space in between.

fernoca

DryEyeRelief said:
Oh yeah, Ultradavid and Marn are there but they aren't participating.
No problem.
Added them too, since there are cases were some have their specific fans, and been there and reporting impressions (positive or negative) would be seen as a "good sign" to them, to follow the tournament (and the game).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Justin's been training hard in the lab for a while now with the game. And there is nobody that can dissect a fighter like he can. I expect him to perform well.

Realistically I think PerfectLegends has the best chance but I'm personally rooting for L.I Joe and any GAFFers whom are in it.

Xater

Jeez that is happening at a very bad time for me thanks to those damn timezones. Guess I'll catch the recorded stuff later.

Khezu said:
I expect to see a lot of Ermac, kung lao, cyrax, raiden, and maybe some Cage's and liu kangs.
Ermac seems to be pushed to one side lately, Reptile is becoming top tier, kung lao lol we all know he will hat juggle to 50% and beyond.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
REO is not there, he is staying free also (deserves to be there, but cant play stick.)
Why would I spill the mystery guest before it happens? I know neogaf are my homies but come on now :X

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
Thing is, it's hard to say what truly works and what doesnt in MK9. Training mode is bugged so what looks unblockable in training mode might not actually work. TYM posted devildigimon resets on front page, (for Kung Lao) and Tom Brady said it didn't work, so who knows?

In order to know if setups are legit or not, testing them against a human is a must.

Seriously, training mode is so fucked.

Another thing that you guys might not know is that top players in this game don't get to play each other consistently, at all. REO and LI Joe both live in Long Island and they have NEVER played each other before the last Battlefield. They also only get to play once a week. Justin and Floe only play against each other. Aris has PS3 so he is staying free and playing training mode. The main people that have a leg up on knowledge in the game right now would be Tom Brady + friends, aka him/Carl/JOP so watch out for them. I'm specifically interested in seeing how JOP plays.

Right now, according to everyone, Raiden is the problem. It'll be interesting to see how people deal/fight against him. Fought against Carl's raiden ebfore he left for PDP, it's really hard to deal with.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
nycfurby said:
Thing is, it's hard to say what truly works and what doesnt in MK9. Training mode is bugged so what looks unblockable in training mode might not actually work. TYM posted devildigimon resets on front page, (for Kung Lao) and Tom Brady said it didn't work, so who knows?

In order to know if setups are legit or not, testing them against a human is a must.

Another thing that you guys might not know is that top players in this game don't get to play each other consistently, at all. REO and LI Joe both live in Long Island and they have NEVER played each other before the last Battlefield. They also only get to play once a week. Justin and Floe only play against each other. Aris has PS3 so he is staying free and playing training mode. The main people that have a leg up on knowledge in the game right now would be Tom Brady + friends, aka him/Carl/JOP so watch out for them. I'm specifically interested in seeing how JOP plays.

Right now, according to everyone, Raiden is the problem. It'll be interesting to see how people deal/fight against him. Fought against Carl's raiden ebfore he left for PDP, it's really hard to deal with.

I've totally been out of the fighting game loop ever since the Gears 3 beta hot, but I've been checking streams here and there including MK9 tourneys - had no idea that the training mode was glitched even - hopefully they get that worked out soon.

How long before this tourney starts? I wanna see if I can at least catch most of it today.

nycfurby said:

Seriously. I think MK9's shitty training mode was a bigger deterrent for attendance at this tournament than the PDP stick is. Only a month in, with no dummy record/playback and lackluster netplay, how do you expect anyone to learn how this game works?

Dahbomb

Can the Raiden teleport be punished?

Sorry I am new to the game, just got it in fact. Learning some top tier tactics in the game but this training mode being lame duck news is a major hype killer for me. I spend most of time with fighters in training mode (though with MK that has been a bit of an exception).

It is not but the Sixaxis and DS3 are banned.
Why are PS controllers banned for MK?

sleepykyo

Dahbomb said:
Can the Raiden teleport be punished?

Sorry I am new to the game, just got it in fact. Learning some top tier tactics in the game but this training mode being lame duck news is a major hype killer for me. I spend most of time with fighters in training mode (though with MK that has been a bit of an exception).

Why are PS controllers banned for MK?

This tourney is PDP only seeing as it is their tourney. In Evo, someone always "forgets" to de-sync their controller or someone "accidentally" presses the home button and ruins a match.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
nycfurby said:

Yeah training mode in this game is ridiculous. But the weird thing is that the code exists for you to be able to move when you're playing a recording back. If you input a dash right as the recorded dummy is hitting you, then the dash comes out. So either they took out that functionality on purpose (this is what I'm leaning towards...and considering how Ed Boon is, it might be because of something stupid like making it more like how it was in the arcades when you had to figure everything out against a live opponent or the CPU), or the record function is supposed to work like a standard record/playback function, but for some reason it shipped non-functional.

Khezu said:
I think there banned for everything actually, not sure why.

There's no method to desync wireless ps3 controllers from the console it was previously connected to. So accidents, such as a spectator pressing the home button during another match, will interfere with it.

AAK

Is there anyone here that prefers the PDP button layout over DS/360 controller or the Hori/TE stick layouts?

I just looks so.... uncomfortable.

Nabs

God's Beard said:
MK official sticks only.
Yikes.

I'll try to watch as much of this stream as I can. I love Sp00ky streams, but I hate watching MK9. I love playing it, but I get bored watching it.

Top Bottom