• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most gruesome way to be tortured/killed in medieval times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilbert

There is a "criminal museum" (that's the rough translation from German) in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. It has a bunch of torture equipment in it, including an iron maiden. Pretty sobering stuff.

temp

posting on contract only
NLB2 said:
You know, we've got labels like racist for people that say shit like "black people smell bad."

But we don't have word for when we extrapolate the actions of some human beings to cover all human beings.

Certainly no one in this thread tortures people to death, but we're all evil?

WTF, man?
That is an excellent point, man.

Its name comes from its shape. This instrument had a screw mechanism by which it was progressively expanded to the maximum aperture of the two or three elements it was made of.

This instrument was forced into the mouth or rectum of male victims and into the vagina of female victims. The oral, rectal, or vaginal pear was inflicted on people guilty of sodomy, on women guilty of adultery, people guilty of incest or sexual union with Satan, and it was also inflicted on heretical preachers and blasphemers.

This torture has in itself the implicit idea of inflicting punishment that was opposite to the kind of crime one had been charged with.

29.jpg

jenov4

That's some sick ass shit reading this stuff. I take it that crime was relatively low during these periods of time? I know I wouldn't be doing jack squat. :lol

jenov4 said:
That's some sick ass shit reading this stuff. I take it that crime was relatively low during these periods of time? I know I wouldn't be doing jack squat. :lol

Alot of the time the accusations were baseless and theres not much defense against having dealings with Satan. it was basically your word against theirs.

MrOctober

Banned
If caught sleeping with another mans wife it's customary to insert a glass coffee stirrer into his erect penis and then smash his penis with a hammer, leaving the shards of broken glass lodged in there for good.

I don't know where i read that or if it's even true, but i like that one.

What would you choose if this happened to you:
You are stripped naked and your balls are Gorilla Glued to the floor. You are given a rusty butter knife and then the room is set on fire.

Anyone?

Drozmight

MomoPufflet said:
25b.jpg

Not that the ones mentioned in this thread are at all pleasant, but I've always thought The Saw was the most sick torture ever. Being hung upsidedown while two guys saw you in half from groin to brain while your insides spill all over you is not a great way to go.

Also pitchcapping is another "how the fuck did they come up with this shit" torture:
Holy shit, lol.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
MomoPufflet said:
25b.jpg

Not that the ones mentioned in this thread are at all pleasant, but I've always thought The Saw was the most sick torture ever. Being hung upsidedown while two guys saw you in half from groin to brain while your insides spill all over you is not a great way to go.

Also pitchcapping is another "how the fuck did they come up with this shit" torture:
Yeah, not to mention the guy on the right is clearly having a good time :lol

When I was in junior high, my dad took my younger brothers (the youngest being around 7-8) and I to a torture museum in California, with all sorts of this shit on display (and creepy music playing in the background, as if detailed drawings and models of mutilation weren't enough).

Needless to say, that was fucked up.

Ninja Scooter said:
whatever they did to William Wallace at the end of Braveheart.

That... and being racked while being disemboweled like him. Burning would be pretty bad... but after a while all the nerve endings would be shot and you'd just feel cold and go into shock... but I'm not talking like witch burning or the slow burn pictured earlier. I'm talking about laying someone down or suspending them in the air and burning certain body parts down to bone with a torch er sumn.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I would imagine having molten lead poured into your ass would be worse than a few of the tortures listed here. They did that to an English king (can't remember which, very early though, 12-1300s) when they caught him having sex with a guy.

jenov4

Teh Hamburglar said:
Alot of the time the accusations were baseless and theres not much defense against having dealings with Satan. it was basically your word against theirs.

Yeah it's pretty insane that someone who holds a grudge against you can just accuse you of witchcraft or whatever and you end up burning at the stake.

Drozmight

jenov4 said:
Yeah it's pretty insane that someone who holds a grudge against you can just accuse you of witchcraft or whatever and you end up burning at the stake.
Have you ever seen one of those barrels they'd use to test if someone was a witch or not? The inside was lines with big spikes and whomever it was would be put inside and rolled down a hill. If they survided they're a witch... if not, they weren't. lol.

Forsete

Gold Member
Impalement via the rectum. I know the Russians used this.
The Swedes preferred to insert the stake between the skin and the spine, which causes massive tension in the skin. The stake is then set upright so the impaled dude is hanging by his skin. Its supposed to be one of the most painful ways of dying (how they find this out I do not know).

In Sweden they would impale "Snapphanar" (scanians using guerrilla warfare to help the Danish) and put them by the roadside to scare off any others who might want to join the snapphanar.

Drozmight

Ah, didn't see that post. Yeah, that's definatley the winner hands down. That saw one is the definition of greusome though. Oh man.

NotMSRP

Americans did the banana peel on the legs of Filipinos and water fillup til stomach exploded tortures during the 1900 period (Spanish/American war in the Pacific).

jenov4

Drozmight said:
Have you ever seen one of those barrels they'd use to test if someone was a witch or not? The inside was lines with big spikes and whomever it was would be put inside and rolled down a hill. If they survided they're a witch... if not, they weren't. lol.

lol WHAT? Geez, you'd figure they'd realize after killing off a bunch of folks in a row.

Don't know if it's true but I heard this story once where Natives would shave the head of their victim and put some kind of helmet made of clay or something on his head. The guy would be their slave for a while while his hair was growing under the airtight cap. But with nowhere to go the hair would eventually grow inside the guys head slowy making him a retard until he died.

djkimothy

How evil. This thread is so disturbing. There is no emoticon to describe the uneasiness I fell.

I'm going back to the cat thread.

zon

The wheel, the saw and the barrel is probably the messiest way to go.

Someone mentioned the "Bloody Eagle" or something that Vikings used to do, I've read about something similar, they tied/nailed you to the ground and then they hacked off all your ribs and took your lungs and put them to the left and right of you to symbolize wings. Kind of messy too..

One torture instrument that really disturbed me when I was at the museum in Prague was very simple. It forced the prisoner into a certain position and at first it wasn't so bad, but after a while you start to cramp and these cramps would only increase over time which would result in extreme pain. Since the body wasn't damaged they could keep this up forever until the prisoner died from sheer pain.

I remember hearing about this nasty form of torture during the Inquisition. They'd slowly lower a heavy brillo-pad type thing into the victim's mouth and once it down deep enough, they yank it out with a string.

Americans did the banana peel on the legs of Filipinos and water fillup til stomach exploded tortures during the 1900 period (Spanish/American war in the Pacific).
I kinda feel bad now about having strong feelings against filipinos.

Leatherface

This thread is awesome. I shall research this more and come back with something horrifying to post. See you soon. :)

muahahahaha

Joe Molotov

ToxicAdam said:
The Iron Maiden is still the craziest to me. Like Flame explained, it's a coffin that has spikes on the inside that are positioned in such a matter that they do not pierce any vital organs.

So they close the coffin on you, these metal spikes pierce your body in multiple, non-lethal spots. They remove you, dress your wounds, interrogate you some more. If they do not like the answer, they place you in again and the spikes reopen the wounds.

They could repeat it over and over and over.

There seems to be some debate as to whether the Iron Maiden ever really existed or not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_maiden_(torture_device)

The most famous, and probably the first, device was the iron maiden of Nuremburg. According to a hoax by Johann Philipp Siebenkees in 1793, it was first used on August 14, 1515 to execute a coin forger. The iron maiden was actually built in the 19th century as a misinterpretation of a medieval "Schandmantel" (infamy cloak), which was made of wood and tin but without spikes. The infamy cloak did not harm the body, and it was used as a chastisement for poachers and prostitutes, who were made to wear it in public for a certain time.

I imagine that some of the more bizarre torture methods that you read about might fall into the same category, although I have no doubt that they did have unpleasant ways of making people die back then.

Yeah, I also heard that the iron maiden never actually was used, too.

My problem with all this torture is: In the sense of evolution only a small amount of time passed since torture was used. So people who are ready to torture others are still among us. You know, the mind set. That fucking scares me. I mean even if there are people who I wish this kind of death I honestly can't bare the thought of someone dying this way. But people enjoying to torture... I don't know.

Do not fret. If I remember correctly, when they seized Saddam's stuff, among the stuff they found was a rusty Iron Maiden and it was most likely used.

Raven.

Banned
Not medieval times... but I'm quite scared of the sort of tortures that could be performed once medicine becomes more advanced, the dark side if you will...

Imagine... you could be mutilated over and over again, fingers, privates, limbs slowly cut away without anaesthesia and with advanced hygienic methods, tissue engineering, and aging cured... they could bring you back over and over again, even organ removal, horrendous surgical procedures, and massive blood loss wouldn't take you away. Your brain could be enhanced to experience far greater lvls of pain than would be humanly possible, your brain constantly stimulated in just the right way to give you perpetual hell, and you could be kept artificially conscious throughout lvls of pain that no man should bear, while horrendous nightmares were transmitted through advanced neural interfaces. Kept forever alive in a state of perpetual suffering, no way to commit suicide, no way to die, no hope but for the agony of tomorrow... ageless/immortal in perpetual agony and artificially kept sane so you can't even escape that way.

WalkMan

Banned
They stick you in a sack with a pig, a snake and a dog. Tie you up and stick you inside a river. The pig, dog and snake will panic and rip the shit out of you.

Thaedolus

WalkMan said:
They stick you in a sack with a pig, a snake and a dog. Tie you up and stick you inside a river. The pig, dog and snake will panic and rip the shit out of you.

No, I panic and rip the shit out of the dog, pig and snake.

Oh, and the story about Saddam's cronies forcing a Muslim cleric or whatever to watch his daughter be raped repeatedly before they lit his beard on fire comes to mind...

WalkMan

Banned
Thaedolus said:
No, I panic and rip the shit out of the dog, pig and snake.

Oh, and the story about Saddam's cronies forcing a Muslim cleric or whatever to watch his daughter be raped repeatedly before they lit his beard on fire comes to mind...
Oh they tie your hands and legs up before they toss you in. Forgot to mention that part.

I've also heard some torture stories where they give the person a titty twister. :lol

Ecrofirt

Ooh, I heard a fun one mentioned in a movie once.

1) put rats in a big jar, and glue it to your head.
2) use blowtorch on the end of the jar to hear it up
3) rats freak out and chrw through your skull.

Yay!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Verboten said:
Do not fret. If I remember correctly, when they seized Saddam's stuff, among the stuff they found was a rusty Iron Maiden and it was most likely used.

Beat me to the punch. Oh yes, the iron maiden does indeed exist. Saddam had one, and was using it, if my memory serves me correctly.

This stuff is insane though. What scares me the most, is the people that think up shit like this to try out. I have written some crazy crap, but the people that thought up the ideas first, have had to be insane.

Thaedolus

Oldschoolgamer said:
Beat me to the punch. Oh yes, the iron maiden does indeed exist. Saddam had one, and was using it, if my memory serves me correctly.

This stuff is insane though. What scares me the most, is the people that think up shit like this to try out. I have written some crazy crap, but the people that thought up the ideas first, have had to be insane.

True. How in the hell do you come up with "Ok ok, after we use the red hot pincers to rip chunks of flesh from his limbs, we POUR MOLTEN SHIT IN IT!"? Then who's got the sadistic nerve to actually do that shit? And in the name of religion a good portion of the time...Sheesh

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Not sure they can compare, but here's a few Japanese/souther asian ones I think are worthy of mentions (hopefully I didn't miss them as I skimmed the thread).

Japanese water torture. Tied to a restraint, your head locked tight, blind folded, laying down. A drop of water would fall on your forehead at random intervals. Could be a few seconds, could be minutes.

It was said to drive people mad within days. The mere thought of the next drop causing insanity.

And now for pain.

Hot bamboo torture. Bamboo cut into strips, and heated. It's then forced under the victim's fingernails. Mm mm.

And, the last one, I don't even know a name. It doesn't need one.

A thin glass rod is inserted into a man's dickhole. It is then shattered.

I don't think it deems further explanation.

LakeEarth

SnakeXs said:
Not sure they can compare, but here's a few Japanese/souther asian ones I think are worthy of mentions (hopefully I didn't miss them as I skimmed the thread).

Japanese water torture. Tied to a restraint, your head locked tight, blind folded, laying down. A drop of water would fall on your forehead at random intervals. Could be a few seconds, could be minutes.

It was said to drive people mad within days. The mere thought of the next drop causing insanity.
You missed the most important part - they were fed lots of dry food but no water whatsoever. So they're crazy thirsty, and water is inches from their mouth but they can't get to it.

Jacobi

Banned
Ford Prefect said:
Yeah, not to mention the guy on the right is clearly having a good time :lol

When I was in junior high, my dad took my younger brothers (the youngest being around 7-8) and I to a torture museum in California, with all sorts of this shit on display (and creepy music playing in the background, as if detailed drawings and models of mutilation weren't enough).

Needless to say, that was fucked up.
Haha, my dad did that too with us at the same age. There were actually the real torture machines they used. But I think I was too young to get the brutality of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom