• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most overlooked games of E3

GhaleonEB

With all the bruhaha surrounding the new systems I found that some of the games I'm looking forward to the most - from THIS generation - went pretty much unnoticed around here. The biggest is Stubbs the Zombie, from Wideload games (founded by Alex Seriopian, co-founder of Bungie and using a modified Halo engine).

It's like a survival horror game in reverse: You rise up to seek revenge, a lone zombie. Over the course of the game, those you kill turn into zombie you can control to a degree. The game builds up to a gargantuan zombie seige, with you in the lead, on the surviving remnants of city built over your grave as you try to exact revenge on the guy who built it. Zombie chomping fun galore - it looks awesome.

Best move:

Grab arm....
925151_20050309_screen005.jpg

...club former owner to death. What fun!

925151_20050309_screen007.jpg

What else was worthy but underreported around here?

koam

M3wThr33 said:
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
11164612665xy.jpg

STEEL FISTS! He tears a car apart for GLOVES! GENIUS!

Agreed, I played this game because there was no lineup and i was really impressed. It's surprisingly fun.

stewy

GT Legends from 10tacle Studios. This German group was in a small room at the back of Kentia Hall. But man, the game looks fucking amazing if you're into real racing simulators on the PC.

screens_en.php

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Defensor said:
I liked Genji more than Onimusha 4 at the show floor.

Same here, actually. Welcome to the club! :D
Not that Onimusha 4 was bad, but Genji just felt more fresh and fun.

olimario

Banned
SantaCruZer said:

Hell yeah. Nobody seems to like it even though it looks just like the classic mario titles that have stood the test of time. That and it features much needed additions like wall jumping.

olimario said:
Hell yeah. Nobody seems to like it even though it looks just like the classic mario titles that have stood the test of time. That and it features much needed additions like wall jumping.

Isn't NST making that? Fuck that shit. I want an original 2d NCL mario title. How long has it been now? 10 years?

Mario was cool but the thing that sort of weirded me out was how fluid he was in the game. I sorted wanted less animation given the look of the game =)

M3wThr33

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Mario was cool but the thing that sort of weirded me out was how fluid he was in the game. I sorted wanted less animation given the look of the game =)

Go play Mario Vs. Donkey Kong. Then never post again.

I don't think people quite understand the significance of Sonic Rush. For a former Sonic whore like myself, it's amazing to finally see a true sequel to Sonic and Knuckles (I think it came out after Sonic CD) after all this time. For anybody still on the fence, or for anybody even remotely interested in Sonic, go here.

SantaCruZer said:

I hope the game looks better in motion. And is New Super Mario Bros. the official name? It sounds really stupid. Super Mario Bros. DS or 4 would've sounded so much better. When is the release date?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
White Man said:
Is Genji a "fancy fightin'" game ala DMC and Ninja Gaiden? How did it play and how difficult did it seem?

Well, it's not over-the-top fighting like DMC, even though it looks nice and fluid while battling foes. The fighting system is apparently built so that you're rewarded when being as effective as possible, ie kill enemies with as few attacks as you can. Even though you're not forced to do that, of course.

Also, you have a special ability called "mind's eye", when it's activated the whole screen goes blurry which symbolizes how your character is concentrated I guess. While using this ability, the game moves a little slower and you're supposed to attack the enemies as soon as they try to attack you, so it relies purely on your timing, but a square button icon flashes beneath your character whenever you have to press it which makes it easier to know. It even worked against some mid-boss, but that was naturally a lot harder than normal enemies to time right.

The game didn't seem that difficult from what I played, but I'm thinking those were early missions. A lot of enemies on-screen at the same time though, fought up to 10 at the same time IIRC.

A few other things...the camera worked well for me, you can jump, defend, do a defensive roll, do combos (with jump attacks included), upgrade your weapons and play as two different characters. And also, the game didn't seem to have much in terms of stupid puzzles a la "find gold/silver medallion to open this door", it was straight-forward with much fighting. And beautiful colors. :D

Also, I read that the game will keep the original Japanese voices for the US release.

silenttwn

ratcliffja said:
I don't think people quite understand the significance of Sonic Rush. For a former Sonic whore like myself, it's amazing to finally see a true sequel to Sonic and Knuckles (I think it came out after Sonic CD) after all this time. For anybody still on the fence, or for anybody even remotely interested in Sonic, go here.

Holy crap, looks fun as HELL. I love the Genesis Sonics. Looks like a might have to get a DS with this and the new Mario.

thorns

Banned
Wow the DS lineup looks really great.. I never imagined myself saying that but I might have to get a DS soon. (it still looks very ugly and weird though :/

Barnimal

Banned
super mario ds sucked IMO. i guess its just cuz i feel that if you are gonna do a new 2d mario do it right. dont do it on half assed hardware.

Barnimal said:
super mario ds sucked IMO. i guess its just cuz i feel that if you are gonna do a new 2d mario do it right. dont do it on half assed hardware.

Nobody asked your opinion.... STFU and go home kid.

GDGF

Soothsayer
ratcliffja said:

Woah! This is the first time I am seeing the 3D boss battle. Looks great!

jman2050

Barnimal said:

Ah, how cute, some poor kid got lost in a serious topic and is screaming out of fright. Don't worry, you'll find your way to your home of lovely rainbows and flying unicorns.

Seriously though, Gunstar Super Heroes. It's almost criminal how little press this game got.

Barnimal

Banned
sorry if it was off topic but SMDS was being mentioned so i thought i'd chime in. i was actually looking forward to SMDS because we havent seen a 2d mario in ages. Now that its here nintendo chose to put it on a portable and it just disappoints me. IMO is would have been a nice finale for the gamecube. 2D mario on GC would be freakin droolworthy.

Shompola

Banned
thorns said:
Wow the DS lineup looks really great.. I never imagined myself saying that but I might have to get a DS soon. (it still looks very ugly and weird though :/

Same here. I have the PSP but I must say that the DS is much more impressive gaming wise.

lordmrw

Up until some of you even mentioned some of these games, I completely forgot about them. TO tell you the truth, I still haven't really gotten to reading/viewing the movies from games at E3 I'm interested in.

jett

D-Member
Kiriku said:
GENJI

60 fps samurai sweetness.

924365_20050517_screen011.jpg

924365_20050517_screen004.jpg

924365_20050517_screen020.jpg

Runs at 60 fps, but it's jaggielicious, ridge racer-tastic even. I'd rather have decent image quality...looks nice, though.

puck1337

Barnimal said:
sorry if it was off topic but SMDS was being mentioned so i thought i'd chime in. i was actually looking forward to SMDS because we havent seen a 2d mario in ages. Now that its here nintendo chose to put it on a portable and it just disappoints me. IMO is would have been a nice finale for the gamecube. 2D mario on GC would be freakin droolworthy.
I'd rather not play 2D mario with the GC's d-pad.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Sonic Rush = DS game of show.

Followed closely by Prime Hunters and Mario Kart, then New Super Mario Bros

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gunstar Super Heroes and Radiata Stories... I'm also surprised at the lack of press DQ8 got, it's only the American version of the best selling PS2 game ever in Japan.

Someone already mentioned Stubbs, but I didn't even know that there's another Kingdom Under Fire sequel coming out. Plus, Pathway to Glory: Ikusa Islands, for those few who have an N-Gage (or a next-gen Nokia smartphone.)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jett said:
Runs at 60 fps, but it's jaggielicious, ridge racer-tastic even. I'd rather have decent image quality...looks nice, though.

Jaggies in screens yes, but I don't recall that many jaggies when actually playing the game.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Man, I want to play that pinball game.

Stubbs got great impressions from a few sources. It's one of my most anticipated. Along with the next Kingdom Under Fire.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
im gonna agree with the genji comments. this game is cool.

its got some of the best in game "cinematography" of any of the fixed camera angle action games.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
vjoe said:
Kingdom Hearts 2 :(

Yeah, it was kinda snubbed by media. However it will sell millions regardless.

EDIT:

And, wow that pinball game looks cool!

ratcliffja said:

sweet jesus! I forsee myself buying a DS just for this game

Top Bottom