• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most satisfying action game attacks?

One of the most difficult things to find in any game, even those with good combat, is an attack that really feels satisfying. It has the right buildup, it hits the enemy with a devastating crunch, and it leaves them crumpled at your feet... if they haven't been blasted several yards away.

Below, I've included a few of what I consider to be prime examples of such moves. (For this topic, I'd like to exclude things like fighting games and focus only on action/ARPGs. It's already widely known that Falcon Punch and Metsu Shoryuken are awesome and need to be emulated in as many other games as possible.)

God Hand: Daisy Cutter

You could put any number of moves from God Hand on here, but Daisy Cutter is "anime cool" in the best sense possible: A light-speed, dashing punch that launches your enemy straight up into the air before the full force of the blow hits them, spinning them midair like a pinwheel.

Dragon's Dogma: Blitz Strike/Sixfold Bolt

It's not the flashiest skill ever, but the simple Blink/Burst/Blitz strikes are extremely satisfying to land. Your fighter rockets forward before driving their blade into the enemy and blasting them backwards.

The Magic Archer's Threefold/Sixfold/Ninefold bolt skills, on the other hand, are a rare example of a ranged attack that has a tremendous sense of impact. A burst of magical arrows, the initial hit sends your opponent careening into the air while the remaining projectiles home in on them mid-flight, popping them around in the air before they crash back into the earth.

Dark Souls: Moonlight Greatsword R2/Black Knight Greataxe R2

Another excellent ranged attack, the MLGS's heavy (R2) attack is a charged, crescent-shaped, magical laser that explodes on impact, blasting most enemies back. It's damaging and unusually flashy for Dark Souls, and can be used at point-blank range to devastate foes with both the blade and the blast at once.

The BKGA, on the other hand, is pure physical pain. A heavy, brutal weapon, the one-handed R2 attack has the player jumping into the air before bringing the axe crashing down on their unfortunate enemy, flattening them like a pancake. It's the two-handed R2 that really stands out though, as the player drags the axe against the ground, building resistance before suddenly swinging it upward. The resulting hit launches the enemy into the air with a painful crunch.

Metal Gear Rising Revengence: Zandatsu (Warning: Spoilers)

Raiden may be an insufferable edgelord, but his Zandatsu technique makes playing as him pretty thrilling. A finishing move that revels in the idea of overkill, time slows down as you slice your enemy to ribbons. Watching them slowly break apart as you continue to swing is a grisly delight.

What attacks would you include on such a list?

Raysoul

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...Fire!

-Wonder Red, Wonderful 101

mrmickfran

Perfect parry in Bayonetta

Shield Parry in Breath of the Wild

Perfect Parry into Zandatsu in Metal Gear Rising

Critical charge shot in Star Fox Zero

Izuna Drop in Ninja Gaiden

DrArchon

Monster Hunter series - lvl 3 charge Great Sword attack (especially with crit draw, so you know you're fucking that monster up)

Jawmuncher

Any melee in RE6 that kills the enemy. It never gets old and remains hugely satisfying.

img_128774avw.gif

xuchu

DMC4:SE Vergil's Judgement Cut End

irRKQ26.gif

Ninja Gaiden 2 Izuna Drop

ngcombo2inu8.gif

Ninja gaiden 2 Flying Swallow

giphy.gif

Ninja Gaiden 2 UTs

giphy.gif

ngxjan.gif

Forward

Streets of Rage 2: Max's f.Super

Diablo 3: Monk's chain triggered Exploding Palm in the middle of a huge pack of monsters.

Dragon's Crown: Fighter's Rebuke.

Coda

Cutting people up with blade mode in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance always felt super satisfying. Especially when trying to get all the secret arms.

tumblr_mdbbmqjAZN1qzqt8do1_500.gif

smtctmb.gif

2014-01-12_00238-1920x1080.jpg

Mephala

I love the feel of heavy weapons in Dark Souls.
HqDsAkn.gif

Thought this was one of the coolest things in Bloodborne.
3MdFze0.gif

Dragon's Dogma's Masterful Kill is satisfying as fuck. Especially on attacks such as griffon swoops where you teleport up and stab it in the neck
then pray a pawn catches you as you fall to the ground
kAu3rLJ.gif

Bayonetta 1 Kilgore glitch. Death by a million rockets.
In general, dodge off set and wicked weaves are fantastic.

Monster Hunter
Greatsword charge strike on monster weak zones.
Charge Blade guard points and full charged axe ultimates into KOs.

Wyvern fire in Monster Hunter, sure it lacks the finesse and skill of other charging attacks but it's explosive and the whole recoil factor just puts it over.

ORlQ6lT.gif

Though in general nothing gives me the jollies in that series more than the third hit of the hammer combo conking a monster into KO status.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I loved a lot of the attacks in Yakuza 0 (haven't played the rest yet), and also, quite a few in Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Pepboy

Just punching punks in Yakuza

This and God Hand are the only two games that come to mind.

Yakuza for embracing the environment (even though it gets stale with reptition). God Hand for being the most over the top and well edited animations.

This may be why I play so few action games. I guess some of the "slow"/"simulation" gundam games might also fit the criteria.

There are so many. But personal favorites have to be:

Captain Falcon's entire moveset (Falcon Punch, Knee of justice, spikes etc):
tumblr_n8oe4xEepQ1txam4mo1_400.gif

Titanfall 2's executions:
NiftyAdvancedAiredale-size_restricted.gif

InfamousCleanGemsbok-size_restricted.gif

LastTastyDingo-size_restricted.gif

Pejo

Don't have time to look up a video right now, but Charge Blade's full discharge slam in axe mode. Monster hunter has so many satisfying attacks, actually, but this one just feels so amazing to pull off.

Top Bottom