• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most satisfying action game attacks?

That rainbow drop kick from DMC4

Can be seen at the end of this gif

QcaKxiy.gif

You have to press the "select"-equivalent on the controller while running, and if it doesn't kill, it sends enemies flying backward. Really weak as an attack, but satisfying nonetheless

xuchu

Yo, it is time for NG to come back. Idc what team ninja says.

or at least give me some PC ports of the old ones. These gifs just reminded me how much i truly loved those games, esp 2.

Also, this is the first gif that's made me wanna pick up DMC4 SE

You and me both man, but I fear any PC ports will be unfortunately based on the Sigma versions.

Also
you should have saved the quote for the new page
but I'll let it slide ;)

Zetta

I have always loved the Stinger attack with Dante, it just feels like there is so much impact from the attack.

meerak

Wow, this is an awesome idea for a thread. This is the type of nitty gritty detail I love to see out of gaf, not shit on this shit on that shit everywhere.

Such a tough question...

Personally, I always loved IZUNA DROPS!

- Vega's "Flying Barcelona Izuna Drop"
- Kagemaru's "Izuna Drop" in VF
- Hayabusa's "Izuna Drop" in DoA
- Hayabusa's "Izuna Drop" in NG

While the FBA is clearly the classic among classics, Hayabusa's DoA counter into Izuna Drop off the ledge of a stage is just fucking amazing.

This would be a good place to learn about other, more rare Izuna Drops in games. Let me know!

mas8705

I would say that when you put the time in a Warriors type game and get your character leveled up and the right tools for the job, you get to enjoy the carnage that ensues.

Best things I could bring up would be characters like Ganondorf and Fierce Diety Link in Hyrule Warriors, Guts in his Musou spin off, and the grand daddy of them all: Lu Bu.

Still, there are way too many attacks that just leaves a smile on your face when you execute them, and there are definitely too many to count. I love the gifs that have been posted.

Shifty

Dante's DT'd drill stinger from DMC4 is pretty satisfying.

And I can't not mention the max charge missile counter from Bangai-O:
56ee7734d70fd002273760.gif

Can we just shame every single person who posted a submission without any a gif?

Sometimes gifs are not readily available.

xuchu

Wow, this is an awesome idea for a thread. This is the type of nitty gritty detail I love to see out of gaf, not shit on this shit on that shit everywhere.

Such a tough question...

Personally, I always loved IZUNA DROPS!

- Vega's "Flying Barcelona Izuna Drop"
- Kagemaru's "Izuna Drop" in VF
- Hayabusa's "Izuna Drop" in DoA
- Hayabusa's "Izuna Drop" in NG

While the FBA is clearly the classic among classics, Hayabusa's DoA counter into Izuna Drop off the ledge of a stage is just fucking amazing.

This would be a good place to learn about other, more rare Izuna Drops in games. Let me know!

Agreed. Love Ninja Gaiden 2 izuna drop cause of the satisfying headcrush:

ngcombo2inu8.gif

Izuna drops could, quite literally, be its own thread.

Stiler

Dragon's Dogma had some nice ones,
q2FYvXe.gif

As well as Severance,
qqqjOIy.gif

Though it was dependent on your skill, it didn't use canned animations where you do move and then if it connects the enemy plays "x" animation. You got dismemberment but you had to actually hit the enemy there in the specific area to cause it, which added to the variety and differences in combat moves and how awesome it could look provided you have good skill in knowing when/where to use them.

xuchu

The "arc of deliverance" greatsword attack in dragons dogma, it has a stupid long charge up time, but when it lands it is glorious.

berserkawprd.gif

Warrior class was the worst with only access to 3 skills as opposed to 6 for every other class.

But landing an Arc of Deliverance was so worth it.

Raptor

Specifically, the charge attack and the "move forward slowly while you sweep the streets clean of the bodies of your fallen foes" attack.

I love you, Whirligig Saw.

Only second to the Chikage!!

God damn OP as fuck weapons and satisfying to use.

So many good ones already mentioned, I thought I'd bring up an obscure one. The Iai Quick Draw with the sword in Nioh is super satisfying to land. On counterhit it moves through the enemy like something out of a Kurasawa movie.

Coda

QcaKxiy.gif

You have to press the "select"-equivalent on the controller while running, and if it doesn't kill, it sends enemies flying backward. Really weak as an attack, but satisfying nonetheless

Wow honestly didn't know this whole sequence was possible.

ghibli99

Tons of great ones in here! I like quick, responsive, and flashy... the original Strider was the first thing that came to mind.

giphy.gif

Hypron

QcaKxiy.gif

In this case the move is part of doing an aerial devil buster on the Angelo.

Here's how to use rainbow:

46d.gif

Man, as sick as some of those izuna drops were, it's so hard these days to find good quality NG vids. Here's a higher quality NG2 izuna drop:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/36086491

Jesus, quite possibly the ultimate Izuna Drop...the head splatter in NG2 makes it even better.

And yeah, every NG video I found was shit quality.

Also, somewhat related to NG, I think Nioh is a near-endless "most satisfying attacks" machine with especially the parries being nice as hell:

tenor.gif

Piers

The one reason why I get pumped playing Twilight Midna in Hyrule Warriors:
She can summon a giant cannon and that rapid fires three gigantic shots, in the space of three seconds.

xuchu

Jesus, quite possibly the ultimate Izuna Drop...the head splatter in NG2 makes it even better.

And yeah, every NG video I found was shit quality.

Also, somewhat related to NG, I think Nioh is a near-endless "most satisfying attacks" machine with especially the parries being nice as hell:

tenor.gif

Indeed, Nioh parries do feel so satisfying:

EllipticalLeftKite-size_restricted.gif

And the double parry by one of our very own:

QZ4gEGx.gif

HussiZooT

Max Payne's Shootdodge never gets old for me.

max3j4atm.gif

Even the standard slow-motion attacks are awesome.

maximumarmour4erpm.gif

Completely agree. We really need a new Max Payne. Rockstar nailed the TPS mechanics in this game down to the tee. For me, it's THE BEST TPS game ever made.

Dying Light drop kick
DROPKICK.gif

Mad Max, lots of good crunchy attacks

1426246864711138855.gif

Gif didnt work, link to a video

Mad Max...for all its generic open worldness, really nails visceral forceful hand to hand combat. It feels like Mad is dropping bombs when he lands the heavy attacks and suplexes

Agree with both of these too. Dying Light was an amazing game but you missed out on one thing:

THE EXPCALIBUR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-we-yX1TbqQ

Also Mad Max's punches did feel like Max was punching not for fun, but survival. They were loud, crunchy and devastating. The fact that the shotgun ammo was sparse made using it sparingly give it an even more satisfying punch.
Mad-Max_GI_03-09-15_002.jpg

Glass Rebel

I don't think any game has quite replicated the feeling of Normal Attack > Max-Act > Ex Streak in DMC4. Such a fantastic mechanic sadly never to be used again.

ZOE2 Zero Shift
zero+shift+gamplay.gif

If we extend this to fighting games there are too many to mention.
I have also always loved landing Ibuki's neck-breaker.

neckbreakerjzuxg.gif

Another favorite of mine is Galford's Strike Heads.
galford-ss2-ninja-driver.gif

It looks better in later entries (I think this gif is from SS1?)

Also, any of the moves where Poppy tears people apart:
galford-ss2-poppie-super.gif

SamSho does a great job in this regard and even something like the normal Strong slashes have a nice crunchy feel to them.

Mephala

I remember being a big fan of Squall's attacks in Dissidia.

I mained Squall in the first game and I think the satisfaction comes from his combos rather than a specific attack. The brute force+speed of it is sort of satisfying. The idea of using the recoil to extract the blade faster only to force it back into rapid attack sequences...

Although, the way he finishes a combo with a blast + knockback is kind of good... The way he flies around attacking from different directions in upper blues is sort of satisfying too... OK. Maybe you're onto something...

Pw1uv2d.gif
ZoXGMmy.gif

7LsLEjb.gif
cSlQ9Of.gif

UKuYPxO.gif
FdnKaS8.gif

Also, this fucking attacking is great.
sSA7IVi.gif

There are two ways I tend to use this, on counter I would snap this out as a punish but I wouldn't hold so it is just a quick, violent stab that sends the enemy flying. Alternatively I drag them around and through as many destructable pillars and walls as possible which is also satisfying. Either all in or just the quick snap, middle ground is much less fun.

Top Bottom