• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

Rainy Dog

Congrats on your first OP BeeDog, top work. As the only Gaffer on my friends list, I've seen you playing this a few times and you're making me rather envious ;) I'd have been heading out to pick this up right about after I type this... So hopefully doesn't get delayed for too long over here in the UK (though I wholeheartedly respect why they've done so).

They dumbed down the controls :(
No pitch or tilt (to shift weight) controls. The quad is impossible to tip over now.
Still, it's better than every arcade racer that i've played since Pacific Rift.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
nice OP. Was really looking forward to this, shame it was delayed. Was hoping to get some action in before 3DS, Crysis 2, Shift 2, Portal 2 hit. Now it'll get swamped in my backlog. Still, it should stand out enough to carve itself some playtime.

no ETA I presume?

leng jai

Just played for a solid hour. Pure insanity...this will be a contender for my GOTY if the rubber doesn't hit the band later on.

wouwie

The game is being sold in Belgium. I had this game in my hands yesterday but i didn't buy it :( Which is a shame since i loved Pacific Rift. I'm still waiting for a few more impressions on the game before deciding. Also, i'm not a multiplayer guy and i've been told that the singleplayer is short. 60 euros seemed a bit too much to justify a purchase.

ManeKast

So why was the Australian version not delayed? We are pretty tight with NZ. I don't get it (though the game is awesome, cannot complain).

Anyone?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
ManeKast said:
So why was the Australian version not delayed? We are pretty tight with NZ. I don't get it (though the game is awesome, cannot complain).

Anyone?
Censorship board was probably too busy flipping their shit over MK

Mush

ManeKast said:

Anyone?
We had an Earthquake, you didn't. :p

ManeKast said:

Anyone?

SCE Australia said:
Further to the recent events in Christchurch, New Zealand, we are shocked and saddened to see the impact of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan and our thoughts are with all those affected. We are very conscious of the underlying theme in MotorStorm and are doing everything we can to be as sensitive as possible to the situation. A number of steps have already taken immediate effect including the delay in distribution of the product in New Zealand. In Australia, the game is already in distribution, however we are ceasing any further shipments and have pulled the total marketing launch campaign in consideration of both of these recent tragic events.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/03/so...g-to-halt-motorstorm-apocalypse-distribution/

I wonder if SCEE are planning on doing the same thing throughout Europe?

ManeKast

ObnoxiousZebra said:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/03/so...g-to-halt-motorstorm-apocalypse-distribution/

I wonder if SCEE are planning on doing the same thing throughout Europe?

Does seem the right thing to do to be fair to everyone. How do they stop so many copies already instore? Saw many copies in Big W and other retailers before price matching to where I got mine.

Anyway, played a lot more and I still love it. Its not like past Motorstorm games, which I think is for the better.

glaurung

Tried to get some MP play in last night and could not - the game freezes when joining a match. Had to reset the console twice, otherwise it simply stays like that, not allowing access to XMB or anything.

glaurung said:
Tried to get some MP play in last night and could not - the game freezes when joining a match. Had to reset the console twice, otherwise it simply stays like that, not allowing access to XMB or anything.

Worked fine for me at about midnight GMT. There's way too much time between games, though. It's irritating as hell. So much waiting and choosing and picking and awarding. Just let me race!!

Thrakier

Hm, Stange. Ig anything I think the controls are least floaty. I also think the campaign is tons of fun. Love These intro and outro races. Game is so epic.

Finished the second story in career mode last night - the game just keeps getting more and more insane, I mean that level with
a goddamn hurricane
was fucking crazy. I just wish all the tracks were quite as destructive - some of them are relatively dull.

I think it's nice that they throw in a 'normal' track every once in a while. It makes a change from the madness.

Also, gonna repost this from the other thread, since it should've gone in here in the first place.

chalkitdown1 said:
I took some videos tonight. They are tracks that won't have been seen in previews and promos before. Ignore the swearing and accent. lol

This is my favourite track of the game so far. Absolutely love love love the two hairpins right after one another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q4xJ2KoQOU

Got a little bit angry here. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw3raInfasI

Another awesome track. Nice green area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvKoH0VOfbg

Wow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dPZuKxwhbM

Got confused as fuck on the first lap, here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGsLEIrW3NA

Really loving the game so far.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
TheAtomicPile said:
Can anyone confirm to me whether or not this is still an issue?

Complaints of rubber banding killed my interest in previous MotorStorms, and I'd like to know if I should just forget about this one as well.

Rubber banding is definitely still in. I'll just quote myself from the review thread:

RoadHazard said:
In the Veteran part (highest difficulty) of the Festival mode, rubber banding becomes pretty apparant. It doesn't really matter if you crash one time or twenty times in the first few laps, you will always somehow be in the top 5-10 coming up on the last lap, and then what really matters is how you do in that last lap. Also, the AI racers are such assholes... Ramming you from behind, making you spin out, etc. They sure pissed me off many times along the way.

At least this is what I've experienced. It just seems like you can neither get far enough ahead to win by a large margin, nor get left far enough behind to have no chance of catching up (except maybe if you drive really badly in the last lap or so).

But the Festival mode is quickly finished in this one. It's quite a bit shorter than it was in PR, so you won't have to deal with this stuff for very long. The online mode is where the bulk of the experience is gonna come from.

eXistor

I played it a bit yesterday...it's really cool so far. Not sure if I like the storymode all that much, but it's just an excuse for the races, so I don't mind too much.

Mesijs

PjotrStroganov said:
Am I wrong in thinking that differences in vehicle classes aren't as pronounced as in earlier games?

You're totally right. It's because the tracks don't really have the water/mud/fire/water stuff.

Big Motorstorm fan here, so couldn't pass up this 3rd. Have played till half way through the Tyler campaign, and loving the game. Mind you I really liked Pacific rift too - some of those jungle tracks were fantastic and felt more 'alive', but there is some awesome stuff here too, like the groaning of the bridge (the second level already), and then you get to that twister version of a (reverse) track and ... wow. The level layouts are huge with lots of detail and draw distance, and the image quality (of 1280x1080p with MLAA) really shines and shows off the at times incredibly detailed textures (this will stand out more if you have a 1080p display than on a 720p by the way, I tried it on both).

And the physics ... really great stuff! The collision detection with all the stuff going on is just spectacular and makes driving around in these environments much more engrossing and dynamic.

I really like the new campaign so far. It's less disjointed, and gets rid of having to do stuff like speed challenges to be able to progress. Instead, you get almost zero repetition throughout (so far), with the rare times a track is repeated, it is reverse and/or has a twist so that you almost completely don't recognise it anymore. I also *really* like the online score integration for the campaign, and that it defaults to friends scores (at least I'll like it when the servers for that go online ;) ). The campaign then unlocks challenges and there are still time trial and all that in there, just as optional events, and I think it is a good move to have them separate.

I also like the cartoons actually - sure they are very cheesy but I think they're really funny at times too, and they are way better than what they had before (and if you do hate them, they are completely skippable).

Finally I love that you can still drive with motion controls, and that the bikes are now very driveable with them (I had to switch back to regular controls for bikes in MS2).

I would really love to see one of the old jungle levels in this engine though, just for the sake of it.

Mesijs said:
You're totally right. It's because the tracks don't really have the water/mud/fire/water stuff.

Not my experience at all so far actually. The way the cars drift and respond to braking, how this relates to the ground they are driving on, and how they interact upon collisions with both other cars and the environment are all there and for me at least maybe stand out even more than previously - it's certainly still in there.

MMaRsu

Banned
Maastricht said:
Not my experience at all so far actually. The way the cars drift and respond to braking, how this relates to the ground they are driving on, and how they interact upon collisions with both other cars and the environment are all there and for me at least maybe stand out even more than previously - it's certainly still in there.

Another dutchy?

Thrakier

Maastricht said:

Yeah, I too think it's there but less noticable. Every car is fine on tarmac and there is no mud anymore. Mud on the track really made the difference in MS1 and MS2. The rest...not so much. You probably want to take a cleaner route with less stuff on the road with a racecar etc. than with a truck, though.

Rhoxin

Banned
Got the game today, it's awesome.
The intro sucked ass and was very dissapointing compared to the other 2 MS. It didn't set the mood and didn't feel like anything, just a crappy intro.
There is an ingame intro though that is more familiar to the old fashion of intros and it made up for the bad feelings a bit.

The the anicomic presentation is somewhat childish and not my cup of tea, it's a shame they used this method for the story mode over short CGI cut scenes, saving on development costs i guess.

So far i have raced 3 maps and it's tottaly insane fun.
The controls are better than in the first 2 MS games, it's more responsive and tighter compared to the drifty rubbery feel of the 1st two games. This makes the gameplay more fun imo.

The music is awesome and i love what i have heard so much, i like the final lap mix and when you end a race the music really gets rewarding and intense. ( i only finished 1st so far so i don't know if sounds less epic if you lose a race)
There is however a problem with the sound mix, you have to put the speakers really loud and the music and sound effects settings need to be adjusted too, i hope they patch this and also add a custom overheat notify sound.

I will play more and come back with a deeper review once i have learnt the game more.
So far so good! The core awesome gameplay makes up for all the bad.

They had a sale here today for 33€ Anyone want a copy? ;)
2m7aqso.jpg

Bunch of screens;

SKYLINE-AcesHigh_4.jpg

GOODHERB-BuenaVista.jpg

TERMINUS-CityLimits.jpg

BOARDWALK-WavesofMutilation.jpg

BOARDWALK-WavesofMutilation_1.jpg

BOARDWALK-WavesofMutilation_2.jpg

DOCKLANDS-RisingDamp.jpg

DOCKLANDS-RisingDamp_1.jpg

INTERSTATE-Rubbernecking.jpg

PROLOGUE-TylersPrologue.jpg

PROLOGUE-TylersPrologue_1.jpg

TERMINUS-CoachParty.jpg

TERMINUS-CoachParty_1.jpg

TERMINUS-CoachParty_2.jpg

Loving this game so far - just trying some of the Hardcore races, and damn, they really are pretty difficult. The time limit on some of the tracks is insane, especially with 15 other vehicles on the road.

BeeDog

I'm seriously having tons of fun with this game. I knew my gut feeling about this game was to be trusted; this is so much better than Pacific Rift.

Tizoc

JustAnotherOtaku said:
I understand and accept the delay to the UK version, but reading the OP and looking at those screens makes me want this game ASAP!
The UK/Europe ver. is available for sale in mi country; 2 shops had a few copies of it.
Will try to get one later this week X3

MMaRsu

Banned
Rhoxin said:
Got the game today, it's awesome.
The intro sucked ass and was very dissapointing compared to the other 2 MS. It didn't set the mood and didn't feel like anything, just a crappy intro.
There is an ingame intro though that is more familiar to the old fashion of intros and it made up for the bad feelings a bit.

The the anicomic presentation is somewhat childish and not my cup of tea, it's a shame they used this method for the story mode over short CGI cut scenes, saving on development costs i guess.

So far i have raced 3 maps and it's tottaly insane fun.
The controls are better than in the first 2 MS games, it's more responsive and tighter compared to the drifty rubbery feel of the 1st two games. This makes the gameplay more fun imo.

The music is awesome and i love what i have heard so much, i like the final lap mix and when you end a race the music really gets rewarding and intense. ( i only finished 1st so far so i don't know if sounds less epic if you lose a race)
There is however a problem with the sound mix, you have to put the speakers really loud and the music and sound effects settings need to be adjusted too, i hope they patch this and also add a custom overheat notify sound.

I will play more and come back with a deeper review once i have learnt the game more.
So far so good! The core awesome gameplay makes up for all the bad.

They had a sale here today for 33€ Anyone want a copy? ;)
2m7aqso.jpg

33 euro? Where are you from? I have a friend that might be interested!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'm having tons of trouble playing online. Every now and again when I try to join a game it just freezes. Then no matter what I do for about an hour or so I can't connect. I try restarting everything without success. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's really too bad because I love the online game. I love customizing my cars and racing.

KongRudi

Banned
SolidusDave said:
mh, is it possible that they will make some cuts for the actual release? :/

I'm also a bit concerned about when the game will actually get a release as they even delayed it in the US, meaning it won't be with most of us until - at least - May D:

The game will most likely be released, but I can't see how they can release the game in it's current form, until Tokyo is no longer in danger from immediate potential catastrophies like radiation fallout and similar. :)
Shouldn't be to hard to rewrite the particular cutscene I'm thinking off tough. :-/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ok all you European mainlanders who've been taking advantage of the shitty pound to import stuff from the UK, where can we turn the tables? Anywhere in Europe doing mail order that'll ship to the UK?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Rhoxin said:

Hmm, what do you mean by "custom overheat notify sound"? Are you not hearing the overheating "alarm"? I can hear it clearly. Sounds like in PR.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
get2sammyb said:
Plus the screen drains, right?

Not sure about "drains", but a red overlay comes creeping in from the edges, like when you're hurt in many FPSs. Along with the sound, it's very easily noticable. I haven't ever blown myself up because I didn't notice I was about to overheat, only by pushing it a bit too far.

Massa

If anyone wants the game it's available at Offerhouse. It's $52 + $4 shipping.

The store is reliable. I import 99% of my games and I've bought from them several times, pretty good customer support too.

-Amon-

Finished the "campaign" yersteday night. Too easy, i've yet to finish all races in first ( some in the last part ) but surely too easy.

Unbelievable graphics and effects, great track layouts with the usual different paths. It feels real good to drive for me apart bikes on some tracks ( strange reactions to contact with objects )

All the other vehicles feel fine, really near to PR handling wise. Just remember you're quite always on tarmac this time.

Interstellar

Neo Member
BeeDog said:
I'm seriously having tons of fun with this game. I knew my gut feeling about this game was to be trusted; this is so much better than Pacific Rift.

:O High praise indeed, makes the wait harder. Nice work on the OP.

Afrikan

Massa said:
If anyone wants the game it's available at Offerhouse. It's $52 + $4 shipping.

The store is reliable. I import 99% of my games and I've bought from them several times, pretty good customer support too.

how long does it take? I live in California..

I ordered from PlayAsia, but I have a feeling that place will take much much longer...and I paid about $70 (4day shipping, after one week to ship out).

might cancel my order if Offerhouse delivers faster. It says it should take about 5-7 days....and in some cases 2-4 weeks.

can I ask what is your experience on deliveries?

Top Bottom