• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Lagspike_exe said:
Online freezes every time it says it's Joining a game.

I get that alot. Hopefully they'll fix this asap.

Thrakier

Glad too see that almost all of you guys like it. Seems like it's PR all over again. Reviews were average back then as well, and there were some guys with a loud voice who just complained coming from the demo or because of some other minor things. Everyone who got deep into PR got to know it's qualities.

Massa

Afrikan said:
how long does it take? I live in California..

I ordered from PlayAsia, but I have a feeling that place will take much much longer...and I paid about $70 (4day shipping, after one week to ship out).

might cancel my order if Offerhouse delivers faster. It says it should take about 5-7 days....and in some cases 2-4 weeks.

can I ask what is your experience on deliveries?

It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks but I live in Brazil and things tend to get a little longer to get here compared to NA. In 2-3 days the order is already here in Brazil waiting for the officials to clear it for the local post to deliver it. The wait for clearance is the biggest hold up and the reason international orders take longer to arrive here.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
glaurung said:
Yeah, well, I haven't gotten into a single online game. Tired of trying too. All other MP games work nicely.

You're missing out. It's really a fantastic game online. I've gotten a taste and want more, alot more. :(

It's different from Pacific Rift, but I don't know if I'm prepared to say it's as good just yet - there's a lot of chaos on the tracks, as expected, and the urban environment means there's less of those wide and open sections that we saw in previous Motorstorm's. Also, the differences between surfaces doesn't seem quite as pronounced this time around, but I'm loving the way bullets from the mercenaries, fire bombs from the inhabitants and general explosions affect overheating and the boost gauge - makes it really tense on tracks with little in the way of water. The AI seems super aggressive this time around, also they manage their boost extremely well which makes some of the hardcore races really damn challenging. Can't wait to get into the online, but not having much success so far.

Is it still going to be a bitch (in a good way) to get gold in all the single player races like PR?

That's one of my top gaming achievements in PR, and I loved every minute it of it, rubber-banding be damned.

CartridgeBlower said:
Is it still going to be a bitch (in a good way) to get gold in all the single player races like PR?

Yeah, it really is - some of those later eliminator races are really tough, I barely scraped through, but it's the hardcore variations that are going to be real difficult.

I hate the Super Mini's. I let out a groan whenever I'm forced to use them. They're the new ATV's in a sense.

Almost finished the second difficulty in the story mode, now. That tornado race was unbelievable. Graphics were insane.

Could someone tell me what you get for finding all 4 hidden cards on a track?

Always-honest said:
i was holding it this morning. I doubted.. boiught a DS game for my GF instead because i wasn't sure yet.

edit: Netherlands by the way

Yeah, me too (as was asked above).

The campaign is definitely easier, but it was a big complaint that it was too hard before, and they put all the special events separate now instead of integrated into the campaign. I'm glad it is a little easier this time (though still no cakewalk by any means - and I'm only halfway through).

Something else I noticed just as I left my steering wheel plugged in after playing GT5:

MY DF PRO WORKS! Woohoo ... awesome, drives really great (though it's hard work).

OK, so the matchmaking finally didn't freeze and it found another 15 players. And then the game didn't launch us into a race. At all. I starred 5 minutes at the screen, looking at people dropping out and joining in without anything happening. Is this some kind of a bug, or is launching a game an extremely long process?

Thrakier

Lagspike_exe said:
OK, so the matchmaking finally didn't freeze and it found another 15 players. And then the game didn't launch us into a race. At all. I starred 5 minutes at the screen, looking at people dropping out and joining in without anything happening. Is this some kind of a bug, or is launching a game an extremely long process?

Had the same problem before. After some time it startetd, we lost like 10 players though. It worked fine with the rest of the group for several races then. I hope they patch this game despite the delay etc. - if the delay really affects the sales, maybe we will see no further support. However I spoke with my shop and the guy there told there that there was a real rush for MS:A after the news that the game would be delayed...and he almost had no subscriptions before. I guess maybe the whole story will affect the sales positive in a weird way...it was kinda like marketing for this game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lagspike_exe said:

I haven't played very many online games yet, but it has worked perfectly in the ones I have played.

Online does seem broken.
I've had one online match so far out of 3 attempts.
Once it didn't go past the game lobby and the other it crashed my PS3 as it was searching for players..
Fix asap EVO.

RoadHazard said:
I haven't played very many online games yet, but it has worked perfectly in the ones I have played.

I tried only twice, and the first time it couldn't find any matches (but I doubt many had the game at that point anyway). The second time I had no issues and a bunch of matches, though there weren't very many people online at that point. I like the betting, by the way.

I really hope that the online friends list leaderboards still come online.

Driving with the wheel is awesome.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Got a Uk copy of Motorstorm, first thing i'd say is the demo really didn't show whats best about this game, 47% through and love it.

Anyway, for some reason global leaderboards aren't showing at the end of a race and I can't seem to find an online game, Tried a few times but nothing?

Also, does anyone know what the patch was for?

BeeDog

Just finished the Festival Mode. I really love this game, it's the, by far, best entry in this series. And for those who didn't like the stage in the demo, don't worry, it seriously is the worst track in the game (even the other variations of that theme are better).

Kweh

BeeDog said:
Just finished the Festival Mode. I really love this game, it's the, by far, best entry in this series. And for those who didn't like the stage in the demo, don't worry, it seriously is the worst track in the game (even the other variations of that theme are better).

If that is the case, then it baffles me why they would use that track to demo the game, because it certainly put me off buying it.

Ainigma said:
Will the DF:GT Work?

The game uses the default 180 degree mode that is supported by many racing games and means it works with basically every Logitech wheel from the original Driving Force up I think. The DF:GT is very similar (as in almost identical, driver wise - only difference being the horn and the settings dial) to the DF Pro, so yes pretty sure that it should work.

Kweh said:
If that is the case, then it baffles me why they would use that track to demo the game, because it certainly put me off buying it.

I have no idea either, and it seems earlier code as well - you'd think they'd learnt their lesson with the previous (even worse) early demo for MS2, where later they released a new demo that was much better, but by then it was too late and the damage had been done.

It is interesting that almost every review says MS3 is better than MS2. Personally I'd say that's true overall, though what I also like is that if you have all three MotorStorms, they are each sufficiently different from the next in terms of tracks that I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them. ;) I still love the lush settings of MS2 for instance.

There are a fair few reviewers (many of them living in Scandinavia it seems) that just don't like the series for some reason, but they still rate MS3 higher than MS2, if not in rating than at least literally in the text.

Metacritic scores:
  1. MotorStorm (PS3): 84
  2. MotorStorm: Pacific Rift (PS3): 82
  3. MotorStorm: Apocalypse (PS3): 78

still makes me angry, makes no sense at all.

I mean, I could maybe understand this if nowadays there were a ton of awesome competition, but... :lol

Ainigma

Neo Member
Maastricht said:
It is interesting that almost every review says MS3 is better than MS2. Personally I'd say that's true overall, though what I also like is that if you have all three MotorStorms, they are each sufficiently different from the next in terms of tracks that I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them. ;) I still love the lush settings of MS2 for instance.

Like many Sony games, they may not form to mass market appeal, or in most cases, what reviewers want to see but they offer something thats different. The lastest motorstorm, with some of the tracks, offer a experience never seen before in a racing game, yeah, it's compared to Split Second but that works differently, and no game has created the atmosphere in some of these races (with weather etc) like this has.

Seems to me that they shipped broken multiplayer and wanted to patch it day 1, but since the game was delayed, we'll have to wait for that.

BeeDog said:
And for those who didn't like the stage in the demo, don't worry, it seriously is the worst track in the game (even the other variations of that theme are better).

The demo track is shit. The reversed track is much better. I wonder why they decided to put that track in the demo?

wouwie

Decided to buy the game afterall and so far, i wish i hadn't. I'm feeling nothing at all when playing the game. I finished the rookie campaign and at this point, i don't feel like continuing. I think i'll replay Pacific Rift instead.

Some thoughts:
+ technically impressive (smooth framerates, clean image)
+ great lightning and skies (as always with Motorstorm)
+ the destruction feels quite "natural"
+ presentation was quite nice until the story mode started
+ each track has a lot of different routes

- controller vibration doesn't work (it's set to medium in the settings and does nothing)
- graphically bland (as was to be expected from such a boring setting)
- i could live with the rubberbanding in Pacific Rift but i hate the aggressive AI in this one. I've been rammed from behind numerous times and it's seriously pissing me off.
- sound volumes seem all over the place. I can hardly hear an engine sound and all engines sound practically the same for every vehicle. How Evolution can mess up something like this after having done two Motorstorm games already is beyond me
- i've used quite a lot of different vehicles and it feels like i have driven only one type. The handling feels the same for every vehicle.
- it doesn't feel like a racing game to me anymore. It feels like a game for which the outcome of the race is based on "luck" (hitting obstacles you didn't see on time), on the AI ramming you off the track and on wheter you were lucky to see where you had to go.
- the story mode is awful. The cartoons are a waste of time and have zero substance or interest. They aren't even nice to look at. I preferred the "campaign" from Motorstorm 2. If you can't do a story mode properly, you shouldn't do one at all
- running over people might have been fun when i was 12 (and even then) but does not belong in a Motorstorm game
- it is very difficult to see which routes there are.

Consider me dissapointed. I loved Pacific Rift but this is a completely different game and not my style of game.

wouwie said:
Decided to buy the game afterall and so far, i wish i hadn't. I'm feeling nothing at all when playing the game. I finished the rookie campaign and at this point, i don't feel like continuing. I think i'll replay Pacific Rift instead.

Some thoughts:
+ technically impressive (smooth framerates, clean image)
+ great lightning and skies (as always with Motorstorm)
+ the destruction feels quite "natural"
+ presentation was quite nice until the story mode started
+ each track has a lot of different routes

- controller vibration doesn't work (it's set to medium in the settings and does nothing)

You sure you haven't turned it off in the XMB? It works for me (and FF on the Wheel also works). Also, did you install the 201MB patch? (I presume yes)

As I've said myself, some may prefer the jungle setting (I do too in some respects), but bland is perhaps a bit strong? With the right lighting conditions it looks spectacular. But it is clear that some of the tracks have been left a little more empty perhaps, partly to give bigger draw distance, and partly to leave room for all the destruction and weather effects that you get in later levels.

In that respect, the best recommendation I can give you is to keep on playing at the very least until you've seen the Twister version of the beach track ... !

- i could live with the rubberbanding in Pacific Rift but i hate the aggressive AI in this one. I've been rammed from behind numerous times and it's seriously pissing me off.

Perhaps it is the way I drive, but I first start racing with little boost, getting the hang of the car (disagree about the handling differences, but they throw more variation your way as you progress to more difficult levels) and the track, and then when I think I know/remember the layout well enough I start boosting. This usually leads to gaining the lead in the last lap, which also gets rid of any possible rubber banding issues. ;)

- sound volumes seem all over the place. I can hardly hear an engine sound and all engines sound practically the same for every vehicle. How Evolution can mess up something like this after having done two Motorstorm games already is beyond me

Not noticed any of this either yet, but I have been playing with headphones on for the most part, so I'll have to check on my 5.1 system. What settings are you using?

- i've used quite a lot of different vehicles and it feels like i have driven only one type. The handling feels the same for every vehicle.

I can't really say I agree with this one. I have to take different routes with different vehicles, as some of them can't handle certain turns well at all, or brake well, etc. Hairpins and drifts are all very different for each car.

- it doesn't feel like a racing game to me anymore. It feels like a game for which the outcome of the race is based on "luck" (hitting obstacles you didn't see on time), on the AI ramming you off the track and on wheter you were lucky to see where you had to go.

I still overtake a tonne of cars if I take a really good line in a hairpin. Also, the obstacles are still scripted, so it just adds a different layer to learning the track layout.

- the story mode is awful. The cartoons are a waste of time and have zero substance or interest. They aren't even nice to look at. I preferred the "campaign" from Motorstorm 2. If you can't do a story mode properly, you shouldn't do one at all

I like them - everything in the game is really cynically over the top in a fun way, to me at least, but again, just press X.

- running over people might have been fun when i was 12 (and even then) but does not belong in a Motorstorm game

I agree to some extent, but it is also a bit hilarious at the very least, and I kind of liked driving around in an area where two crowds . The most impressive and actually emotionally engaging though was when everyone
wants to get off the island and is running in the same direction as you are driving to get off the island.
. At that point I actually wanted to avoid hitting them.

This is partly because there are many and through the first campaign you don't race a single track twice. You get used to that quick enough (much quicker than I personally expected - second time I raced somewhere I was already fairly well queued in to how the tracks would shift).

Consider me dissapointed. I loved Pacific Rift but this is a completely different game and not my style of game.

As I said, this is not a title where they made a Pacific Rift with a few more online options and reusing all the tracks but adding 4 additional one. All content here is basically new. I love the game for it, but I too would love to see at least one Pacific Rift track in this new engine, just to be able see what that looks like. The Twister level though gives a very good impression, with the weather effects, the trees blowing in the wind, your handling being affected by the strong gusts, vibration when you get near the twister, etc. Fantastic.

Thrakier

wouwie said:

Some thoughts:

Works fine for me on max setting. Try changing it.

From this comment I can see why you don't have fun. You were biased before you bought it. That's totally legit, but it's just aself fulfilling prophecy which kicks in then. Just because it isn't green it doesn't mean it's boring. Racing trough an abandoned amusenet park, an old ship graveyard or on skyscrapers which are collapsing offers the same if not more variaton than PR. And definitly more than MS1. A lot of people said that MS1 was "bland". I don't think so. I didn't think that about Kz2 and the likes though, so it's just a different view on things, I guess.

It's not nearly as bad as in MS1, I don't know how bad it was in PR in the later levels.

- sound volumes seem all over the place. I can hardly hear an engine sound and all
engines sound practically the same for every vehicle. How Evolution can mess up something like this after having done two Motorstorm games already is beyond me

Don't have a problem there as well. Sounds fine.

I don't agree at all. That's just not true.

It's as much an racing game as MS1 and MS2 were. You have to learn the tracks first anyway.

Maybe. Just press X. Shouldn't disturb your enjoyment much.

Was true for PR as well. It needed time till you knew where to go.

Versus

Maastricht said:
Something else I noticed just as I left my steering wheel plugged in after playing GT5:

MY DF PRO WORKS! Woohoo ... awesome, drives really great (though it's hard work).
Steering wheel support??!?! Fuck Yeh. Anyone tried any other wheels yet?

yurinka

Finally got the game yesterday. Played the first 3 tracks, and the game looks georgeous.

Loved the intro, the visuals and even the cartoon characters that I didn't liked at first.

At the moment, it confirms they don't know how to do a good demo or trailer. The game feels great, something I only saw previously in the Wreckeation dev diary.

I placed an order with my retailer for it, so I'll probably have it on Tuesday. If I like it I'll try to get some good times on the maps so I can do well against the noobs when they release it in the US.

BeeDog

Alright, since I finished the single-player campaign today, I figured I'd post one of my (typical) mini-reviews. This is only based on the Festival Mode; haven't tried playing online yet (my first and only attempt resulted in a hard PS3 lock, lulz). Anyway:

Pros:

+ Amazing graphics; clean image quality as hell, much-improved textures and texture filtering, awesome-as-always lighting, tons of debris and shit flying around and as-good-as-perfect framerate. Personally, I think this is a clear, clear improvement over Pacific Rift. And to be perfectly honest, I'd say this is one of the most impressive engines I've seen this console generation.
+ Very fun and involving levels. The 9 themes are all great (but as I have already said, the theme/level in the demo is the worst one by far), and there's a lot of variation to be found. This game provides a lot more variation and level content than any previous MotorStorm game. I also really like the apocalyptic setting since it still isn't Fallout-apocalyptic; it retains a somewhat unique take since it incorporates some of the typical MotorStorm art direction.
+ The above point leads to the Festival Mode being better than before. It's much shorter than Pacific Rift's campaign, but every stage is new (no tracks are repeated) and the difficulty is far from being as infuriating as in Pacific Rift. Also, if you miss the MS2 difficulty, you always have the unlockable Hardcore stages, I guess (haven't tried any yet).
+ The destruction is not overdone, and it's good to see that there are stages where the destruction isn't the main selling point. There's still a lot of classical MotorStorming to be found here, and I disagree with anyone that says the actual racing has taken a backseat. In fact, I'd say this game is much more race-oriented than previous MotorStorms.
+ The new boost system is also improved; the fact that you can cool down your vehicle in the air now adds a new layer of strategy.
+ AWESOME soundtrack! Finally a racer that ditches everything non-electronic.
+ The vehicle customization is really cool, but I haven't dabbled too much with it just yet, since I've barely unlocked additional parts.
+ Having unlockables/collectibles in a racing game is genius. They are also pretty well-hidden and ultimately fun to find.
+ The physics are more forgivable than Pacific Rift, but I honestly like this a lot. All the vehicles are more grounded, and just touching an opponent won't destroy you. Therefore, riding bikes and quads is more fun this time around. This goes hand in hand with my "race" opinion; the more forgiving physics model allows for more proper racing (and fenderbending) than before.

Cons:

- As several GAFers have already mentioned, the volume levels are strange. The game is overall pretty muted; I have to bump up the volume several notches to match other PS3 games. Though I have to say, the sound effects for the vehicles are also very much improved over Pacific Rift. But the mixing needs to be patched.
- Rubberbanding is still in here, and is somewhat noticeable in the later levels. But it's nowhere NEAR as hard as Pacific Rift; I often came on 2nd or 3rd place on my first try, and missing first place was often my own fault thanks to crashing or whatever.
- Something that may annoy some players is the fact that the opponents are very aggressive, moreso than the opponents in Pacific Rift. Sometimes it feels like the AI opponents are suicidal and simply want to destroy you instead of racing cleanly. But this is most noticeable in some of the late stages, the early stages are fairly clean overall.
- The story and cutscenes are essentially non-factors; the videos are pretty ugly and cliché, and they don't really provide anything. But on the other hand, they are pretty unintrusive (all of them are very short) and you can skip them easily. If you wanted a proper story in an arcade racing game, then you'll be disappointed.
- The load times are fairly long.
- The Festival Mode is shorter than Pacific Rift, as mentioned earlier, though it's not a biggie since the variation's better and it is generally less frustrating.
- Still no cockpit view :(
- I also agree with some that have said that the differences between vehicle classes are not as pronounced as before. I guess it's because it's much harder this time around to create levels where every vehicle class has to be considered.

Anyway, to summarize, I truly love this game. I'm one of the (few?) GAFers who really liked Pacific Rift, but I honestly think this one's much better. I essentially don't agree with many reviews. Call me biased or whatever (
please don't
), if I have to rate the game, I'd give it a strong 9/10. I hope I'll get some serious mileage out of the split-screening with friends.

yurinka

BeeDog, I didn't finished the Festival in MSPR, I thought it was too long. Maybe now the MSA Festival length is ok for me. How many hours you needed to complete it?

It doesn't take that long. There are 40 races I think. I've only completed the first two difficulties but it's taken me about 3 or 4 hours so far.

I really want them to patch out the ramming feature on the bikes and bring back the punching full-time. Or make it one tap for a punch, double tap for a ram, whatever. I even brought it up with one of the devs on another forum. They're having a meeting about the next patch on Monday and he said he'd bring it up.

Half the fun of bike races was all the fists flying about. I can't believe they would fuck with it like they did. The hand gestures need to return too. Also, the vehicle horns. Why fuck with something that doesn't need to be fucked with??!!

Pressing d-pad still gives me gestures though? I didn't noticed that punching was out though, that I agree would be a bit of a shame (though it is only a bike on bike feature).

You should maybe check the various controller settings, they bring certain things more in prominence over others ... (I haven't messed too much with that yet, just tried motion sensor steering, and then discovered that my wheel works and never went back)

BeeDog

yurinka said:
BeeDog, I didn't finished the Festival in MSPR, I thought it was too long. Maybe now the MSA Festival length is ok for me. How many hours you needed to complete it?

Like chalkit says, it doesn't take too long, a couple of hours tops. It will be (much?) longer if you try the Time Attacks and Hardcore challenges.

chalkitdown1 said:
It doesn't take that long. There are 40 races I think. I've only completed the first two difficulties but it's taken me about 3 or 4 hours so far.

I really want them to patch out the ramming feature on the bikes and bring back the punching full-time. Or make it one tap for a punch, double tap for a ram, whatever. I even brought it up with one of the devs on another forum. They're having a meeting about the next patch on Monday and he said he'd bring it up.

Half the fun of bike races was all the fists flying about. I can't believe they would fuck with it like they did. The hand gestures need to return too. Also, the vehicle horns. Why fuck with something that doesn't need to be fucked with??!!

Oppontents do hand gestures, so I guess it's possible to do them yourself, although I haven't tried. I do agree about punching though, it's finnicky as it is right now. What dictates if it will be a punch or a ram?

I thought the d-pad only did tricks? I'll have to investigate later when I'm playing it.

You only punch in instances where ramming is impossible, such as in mid-air, when your boost is in the red or at the start of races before you're allowed to boost.

Really sucks. You should be able to do it whenever you want.

BeeDog said:
I'm one of the (few?) GAFers who really liked Pacific Rift, but I honestly think this one's much better.

I'm pretty sure there are mostly just two types of people on GAF, the ones that played MS:pR and think it's one of the best arcade off-road racers ever... and the ones who haven't played it (demo doesn't count for several reasons).

I'm glad that people seem to like MS:A as well, first impressions by GAFers were quite negative if I recall ("doesn't feel like MotorStorm anymore etc.").
I would even count some of your negative points as neutral/positive :D

Out of frustration, I played the demo again today. There seems to be no/less motion blur on vehicles close to you (while in the hood camera or on a bike)? That gave the two other MSs an awesome CGI-ish look in tight situations.

Fucking cheating cunting AI god dammit. I'm gonna have to stop playing for the night before I fucking break something. They're relentless bastards. No matter how good you are, they're always right behind you, nudging you, barging into you or just generally being fucking annoying wankers. Has anyone won a race by more than 2 seconds? The rubberbanding is pretty ridiculous. I almost always find myself in 3rd or 4th going into the final lap. No matter how well or shit I've been racing. Same every time. Almost like your performance in the previous laps didn't matter.....

wouwie

After playing some more, i'm convinced there is an awesome Motorstorm hidden in there somewhere but some things piss me off so much that it completely destroys the fun.

The destruction turned out far better than i had thought. It doesn't feel like a gimmick. It feels quite natural. It also doesn't break the flow of the gameplay. Some of the later levels are impressive and all with a rock solid framerate.

The multiplayer seems all kinds of broken. At one point, it hard locked my ps3 and i had to reset. But apparently they are aware of the problems.

The thing that completely takes away any fun i could have with this game is the AI of the opponents. Apparently somebody at Evolution thought it would be a great idea if the AI wasn't focused on winning but on making you crash all the time. They ram you from behind (which is the worst game mechanic ever devised because you can't see them coming and you can't do shit about it) and from the side all the time.

I'm sorry but unless they patch this out, i'm done with the game. Which is a shame because there is a good game in there.

Thrakier

Woah, that Hurricane stage looks like fucking CG from time to time. Absolutely amazing. What a blast. 6/10 graphics. Rly, yeah? Rly? ;D

Top Bottom