• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

BeeDog

Finally got this thanks to the insane Best Buy deal, I can't believe it took me thing long to pick it up. The story cutscenes are stupid and pointless, and sweet jesus the load times are long, but it's a pretty gnarly game. The racing is pure MotorStorm™ goodness and I love the dynamic tracks. What a steal.

One major complaint: they removed the middle finger taunt, wtf

Make sure to get into some multiplayer games. That's where the game truly shines. Had some proper awesome games with test_account and Interstellar, competitive goodness. :)

FatBaby

I just received this game from Amazon and I got the UK version for some reason. Do I need to be concerned about region locking at all in terms of general gameplay or online? I know the PS3 is region free, but I have never tried it before.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OMG I can't believe this game bomba'd. It's INSANE. The story stuff is totally worthless and annoying but the actual game is INSANITY omg

I feel like they finally got the sense of speed perfect and the weight of the cars is just right. The second "story" (LULZ) level where you are racing the super car on the bridge is OMGGGGGGGGG. My heart was actually racing.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
OMG I can't believe this game bomba'd. It's INSANE. The story stuff is totally worthless and annoying but the actual game is INSANITY omg

I feel like they finally got the sense of speed perfect and the weight of the cars is just right. The second "story" (LULZ) level where you are racing the super car on the bridge is OMGGGGGGGGG. My heart was actually racing.

There are so many great races in it. Upper Bohemia is awesome.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm still mad at this dev for not doing actual cockpits...

Agreed! The story is whatever but the game IS amazing. I rented it earlier this and had a blast with it. Unfortunately I missed out on the Best Buy sale, damn. I need to pick this up as I've had an itch for a great craving game lately.

Dibbz

Yes game is amazing. Glad more people are finally trying it out. Now go hang your heads in shame and don't forget to pre-order Motorstorm RC to make up for your mistake.

I guess I missed the BB sale for 5 dollars (is it over?), but I'm still interested in picking this game up. Currently, what is the cheapest this game can be bought new for (and where)?

leng jai

Game was really good but I don't like what they did with the weight of the car here. Feels less satisfying to drive than in Pacific Rift - it just feels too light in comparison. Driving is definitely less visceral IMO and too floaty.

BeeDog

Game was really good but I don't like what they did with the weight of the car here. Feels less satisfying to drive than in Pacific Rift - it just feels too light in comparison. Driving is definitely less visceral IMO and too floaty.

Really? If anything, I feel the opposite, they've ditched the moon physics from Pacific Rift and grounded the cars even more. In a sense, they've lost the detailed physics from the previous game, but at the same time they've removed some of the inherent annoying traits from the other two games (that is, colliding with some small geometry will fuck up your driving completely).

Y2Kev

Really? If anything, I feel the opposite, they've ditched the moon physics from Pacific Rift and grounded the cars even more. In a sense, they've lost the detailed physics from the previous game, but at the same time they've removed some of the inherent annoying traits from the other two games (that is, colliding with some small geometry will fuck up your driving completely).

Feel the same. OMG game OMG

Dibbz

I love both PR and MS:A. The weight in PR is great but it is so unforgiving. MS:A is more of an arcade racer in this regard but that is not such a bad thing because the racing is the best in the motorstorm series.

That not to say every car is super grippy and tight though. They still kept the class system in place so mudpluggers/big rigs etc still have the weight.

monkeyhat

Got this for Christmas and had a quick go yesterday. Hum. Am I the only one who thinks the first game was the pinnacle of the series? Sure it had bad load times and that ludicrous car select thing, but it had a real sense of solidity and place and style. Pacific Rift and particularly Apocalypse just feel like they forgot what made the first game awesome. Motorstorm felt like a next-gen Stunt Car Racer, the sequels just felt generic.

My mood on Apocalypse wasn't much helped by the insane number of updates it needed to download from PSN on first booting (must have been getting on for 1gb) and those hideous comic book cut-scenes (were they going for a shit late-80s EGA shareware aesthetic on purpose?) Then there's the horrible camera stuff (no useable cockpit cam, and external views that jump about weirdly in a bid to avoid clipping) and the weird setting.

Should I persevere, GAF, our it's this just not the game for me?

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Got this for Christmas and had a quick go yesterday. Hum. Am I the only one who thinks the first game was the pinnacle of the series? Sure it had bad load times and that ludicrous car select thing, but it had a real sense of solidity and place and style. Pacific Rift and particularly Apocalypse just feel like they forgot what made the first game awesome. Motorstorm felt like a next-gen Stunt Car Racer, the sequels just felt generic.

The first one is my favourite, but I do think the sequels are just different rather than worse. I think it's quite good that Evolution have been able to experiment and still deliver fun games.

Dibbz

Motorstorm is like Burnout. It doesn't give a fuck what the last game in the series done. Both great franchises.

I think it's enjoyable that I can still go back and play Pacific Rift or MS1 because they don't really share much in common. Kinda like I can still go back and play Burnout 2, 3 and Paradise because they are different.

I guess I missed the BB sale for 5 dollars (is it over?), but I'm still interested in picking this game up. Currently, what is the cheapest this game can be bought new for (and where)?
I'm wondering the same thing. I wished I had picked it up for $5. I'm having a bunch of fun with the demo and like to pick it up on the cheap.

Picked this up over the weekend and wow the demo really was not representative of the quality of the game.

The driving feels quite good with most of the vehicles, graphics are quite impressive for a playstation game and the tracks fall apart quite nicely during the earthquakes.

There are a large amount of tracks too, though I got tired of the game after about 5-6 hours.
The only other downside is that in splitscreen the graphics are too messy/busy to see where you are supposed to go or what is up ahead, not a fan of trial and error crashing and by the time I learned the tracks I was bored of the game.

They should have done a better job with visual cues and cleaner graphics where needed to prevent the silly amount of crashes.
The developers seem to realise that you'll crash a LOT, as I was getting first and second place easily in the later races despite often crashing 10-25 times in a single race.

Double D

Wow. I bought this with the store pickup thing and totally forgot about it. I just checked my email and they are going to cancel it if I don't pick it up today.

edgefusion

Downloaded the PSN version last night and I'm a little confused.

- What happened to all those shitty comic cutscenes I saw in the demo? I've not see any of them so far.
- Am I right in thinking stuff is unlocked exclusively through the online mode?
- Am I right in thinking car customisation only works in the online mode?
- Am I right in thinking character select only works in the online mode?
- Can I not pick which I car I want to drive in the Festival mode?

This seems structured so wholly differently to previous Motorstorm games and if I'm right it seems completely focused around its online component, gutting the single player entirely. If that's the case then I'll be really disappointed as I don't enjoy playing online and will feel like I've just wasted £20. Am I missing something significant? Please tell me I am.

BeeDog

Downloaded the PSN version last night and I'm a little confused.

- What happened to all those shitty comic cutscenes I saw in the demo? I've not see any of them so far.
- Am I right in thinking stuff is unlocked exclusively through the online mode?
- Am I right in thinking car customisation only works in the online mode?
- Am I right in thinking character select only works in the online mode?
- Can I not pick which I car I want to drive in the Festival mode?

This seems structured so wholly differently to previous Motorstorm games and if I'm right it seems completely focused around its online component, gutting the single player entirely. If that's the case then I'll be really disappointed as I don't enjoy playing online and will feel like I've just wasted £20. Am I missing something significant? Please tell me I am.

Unfortunately, you're correct. The game will be a major disappointment content-wise unless you play online or simply do regular quick races outside of the campaign mode. But my recommendation is to try the multiplayer, since it's absolutely fantastic.

edgefusion

Unfortunately, you're correct. The game will be a major disappointment content-wise unless you play online or simply do regular quick races outside of the campaign mode. But my recommendation is to try the multiplayer, since it's absolutely fantastic.

That's really too bad and seems like kind of an odd-decision. I did try the multiplayer and it was alright I guess, I'll keep playing it to unlock stuff. Still confused about the motion comics though, I've got up to Tylers campaign and not seen a single one. Did they remove them from the PSN version or something?

I've only played the retail version, but the motion comic stuff is constant, so if you're not seeing them, they must have removed them. But that's weird if they did that.

edit: Looks like they did indeed remove them.

From earlier in this thread: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32917405&postcount=1082

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The thing I hated most about this game was the removal of any choice the player has in what vehicle they use in the campaign.

KAOS

Luv... luv... luv.. this game and the Motor Storm series. I basically just play custom races with the vehicles I want. Playing an all bike race reminds so much of RoadRash it's fun as hell!

edgefusion

I've only played the retail version, but the motion comic stuff is constant, so if you're not seeing them, they must have removed them. But that's weird if they did that.

edit: Looks like they did indeed remove them.

From earlier in this thread: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32917405&postcount=1082

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The thing I hated most about this game was the removal of any choice the player has in what vehicle they use in the campaign.

Huh, what bollocks. Thanks Evolution, I won't be buying any of your PSN releases in future. I know they were meant to be shitty but still, it makes no mention on PSN that you're getting a gimped version. Oh well thanks for finding that out, I was looking all over the place and couldn't see anything on it.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Huh, what bollocks. Thanks Evolution, I won't be buying any of your PSN releases in future. I know they were meant to be shitty but still, it makes no mention on PSN that you're getting a gimped version. Oh well thanks for finding that out, I was looking all over the place and couldn't see anything on it.

Personally I wish there was a patch to remove them from the retail version aswell.

Ranger X

I didn't play this game yet but I think it will be a great change of mind from Motorstorm2 (wich I got tired of after like 30 races in the campaign)

Even if you don't choose the cars, are the race settings interesting? Because I don't mind being forced to play with certain cars, those were the best races in the previous Motorstorms imo. I remember in Motorstorm the first when they gave me a bike in a mud race against a fucking giant truck. Amazing moments.

edgefusion

I didn't play this game yet but I think it will be a great change of mind from Motorstorm2 (wich I got tired of after like 30 races in the campaign)

Even if you don't choose the cars, are the race settings interesting? Because I don't mind being forced to play with certain cars, those were the best races in the previous Motorstorms imo. I remember in Motorstorm the first when they gave me a bike in a mud race against a fucking giant truck. Amazing moments.

The tracks are all pretty crazy in a good way. They can be frustrating at times due to odd placement of obstacles but definitely thrilling to race on.

Y2Kev

I'm so blown away by this game! I don't know why...I mean, I loved PR. I think PR is the best arcade racer of the gen. So I should have expected this. But damn it's awesome!

test_account

XP-39C²
I got a sound system for Christmas, so i decided to try Motorstom Apocalyse again today to check out the sound. Sounds nice and the game is still very fun :) It is cool that people still play it online.

Personally I wish there was a patch to remove them from the retail version aswell.
Why? Cant you just easily skip them by pressing X?

Personally i found the cutscenes to be good enough.

meppi

Is there a demo of this game, that's representative? I usually agree with your posts about stuff... so now you have me wondering.

The demo isn't very representative of the full game though.
I tried the demo and hated it.
But as price for the game crashed almost instantly, I picked it up and ended up loving it to bits.
It's without a doubt my favorite MotorStorm game. :)

BeeDog

I'm so blown away by this game! I don't know why...I mean, I loved PR. I think PR is the best arcade racer of the gen. So I should have expected this. But damn it's awesome!

Have you put it on your top 10 list then?

If you don't I'll keeeeeel you.

I was posting the same impression back when the game launched and was accused of being on Evolution's payroll.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm totally back into this game again. I've been playing it on my HMZ-T1 and, holy shit, does it play well in 3D. I've actually found the game easier to play and enjoy with the additional depth making it a lot easier to visually understand the course. I miss the motion blur in 3D, but the effect is convincing enough that I can deal with it.

Afterwards I tried playing in 2D again and was surprised at just how much more difficult it becomes. Definitely one of the first games that actually plays better in 3D. Hooking up my Logitech wheel in conjunction with the 3D headset is just insane.

It's kind of shitty that they removed content, but I have to admit that I'd almost rather play that version. The cutscenes are terrible, make very little sense and require additional time to load.

I have actually watched them all while playing, but they add so little to the experience that it would be hard to miss them. If they were even remotely coherent or well written I could have enjoyed them a whole lot more.

They seem incapable of producing decent demos - the one for Pacific Rift was absolute garbage as well.
The original Motorstorm demo, however, was one of the highlights of the PS3 launch. :p

edgefusion

It's kind of shitty that they removed content, but I have to admit that I'd almost rather play that version. The cutscenes are terrible, make very little sense and require additional time to load.

I actually watched the cutscenes on YouTube this morning and totally rescind my previous comment, I'm glad I don't have to sit through any more of them. They're so bad they're good and then back to bad again.

Anybody else find the monster trucks to be as fragile as a faberge egg? All the events involving them I just can't do. It results in miserable failure, 50% of the time because a dude on a motorbike elbowed one of the tires causing it to explode into a heaping wreckage and the other 50% of the time a pebble caused it to rocket off into space.

I discovered the downloadable events which allow you to earn chips and level up while playing offline so I'm a happy bunny. Having great fun playing it now!

nilbog21

Banned
Ok, I really liked PR so here are my impressions

1) the graphics look like shit. they really toned it down to make room for the crazy environments. Some of the levels look fucking amazing though...that being said, i'm afraid for replay value

2) They ruined this game by adding assist steering or whatever they did to the steering. WTF

I picked up a new copy from someone on CAG. The multiplayer is ridiculously fun and fast paced. The hood view makes the racing feel so much faster. The driving physics are so much better than the original and PR. The cars actually maintain grip! My only complaint about the online is that it takes too long to actually start racing.

Roto13

This came with my 3D Display and I finally started playing it last night.

I'm doing story mode. The cutscenes are so bad. The cheap motion comic style is bad enough without being all "Yeah, adrenaline, racing is everything, live on the edge of a knife, woo!" crap.

Annoyingly bad story aside, it's alright. Most of the tracks I've tried have been pretty cool, though some take things a bit too far and are too full of crap and debris.

I probably wouldn't buy it on its own, but it's an alright "freebie."

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, I wondered what it was that made it feel so different to the previous games; and so much less frustrating!

When I crash now, it's usually because I've understeered and gone off a cliff, or smashed into a wall - not because my off-road tyre has clipped a pebble and launched me into orbit.

Even after playing Split Second, the sort of ridiculous stuff in this game gets me. Plus, even during a race where nothing mental happens, in true Motorstorm fashion, seeing other drivers wipe out is always a thrill.

Edit: Also, I went to an event where they showcased Apocalypse in London about a week before the demo came out. They had it set up on a cinema screen and were running a time-trial competition for people to win limited editions and stuff early. It was pretty outstanding! But one thing they did mention was that the story was something fans of the series had apparently requested. They wanted to have some fun with it, while not putting too much emphasis on it; after all, it's a racing game.

Essentially, the story is there if you want it. If you think it's rubbish/pointless, you can just skip it.

Same. What a waste of resources as it's clear they didn't even try...

Seriously, wtf, it's so awful. Game is pretty awesome though.

I agree with a poster above who said PR had physics, they feel off here. It was so damn addicting driving in PR, it really did feel like a rush. Whereas in this game I think they had to tone that down with everything else going on, but who knows.

McLovin

So i got the full gametrial and didn't try it until yesterday. When my hour was up a said wow this is a great game and decided to buy it. Side note: add a buy button with the price on the demos. By the time I found the game my impulse to buy had diminished. Anyway the games $59.99. Wtf no bluray disc, no retail space, can't trade it in and the games been out for a while so i could get it cheap in the store.... Ummm Wtf is sony thinking?

Roto13

So i got the full gametrial and didn't try it until yesterday. When my hour was up a said wow this is a great game and decided to buy it. Side note: add a buy button with the price on the demos. By the time I found the game my impulse to buy had diminished. Anyway the games $59.99. Wtf no bluray disc, no retail space, can't trade it in and the games been out for a while so i could get it cheap in the store.... Ummm Wtf is sony thinking?

Yeah, full game prices in the PSN are often ridiculous. You should have no trouble finding this game for like a third of that. And the PSN version is missing the cutscenes, which suck but still!

Top Bottom