• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

DeadGzuz

Banned
Wow, the reviews are getting better. if they would have killed that demo they would have more buyers, my buddy canceled his order after playing it now I will have to lend him mine to change his mind back.

I guess I'm one of the few people who enjoyed the demo. The controls took a little getting used to, but after awhile it was second nature. The game looks amazing while in motion, especially when vehicles are breaking apart and parts are flying everywhere. Chaotic.

EktorPR

Jack Scofield said:
I guess I'm one of the few people who enjoyed the demo. The controls took a little getting used to, but after awhile it was second nature. The game looks amazing while in motion, especially when vehicles are breaking apart and parts are flying everywhere. Chaotic.

I think that's the feeling I like the most when playing this game. Burnout has explored some of this in its racing (with cars crashing all over) and other events, like the classic 'Road Rage', but it never achieves the OMFG-level Motorstorm does.

Disclaimer: Not a diss to Burnout; everyone knows I'm a sucker for Criterion and it's awesome racing franchise. :D

CurlySaysX said:
What? 1UP gave Motorstorm 2 an A?
I dont believe this with my own eyes.

MotorStorm 2 probably does deserve around an A-/B+

Some reviewers just don't like giving more polished sequels higher scores (if they're a racing title, that is...)

icechai

Jack Scofield said:

i had a blast in this demo and just kept playing until i got 1st with motorbike and car, can't wait to see how the final build looks when I get it :)

HiVision

did they remove the mud effect from the windscreen? I was one of the people that really liked that effect, it added a lot of realism and made you avoid the mud splatter of other vehicles by not driving right behind them.

Madman

HiVision said:
did they remove the mud effect from the windscreen? I was one of the people that really liked that effect, it added a lot of realism and made you avoid the mud splatter of other vehicles by not driving right behind them.
No. It's there. From the videos I have seen, it doesn't stay on the screen as long but that's it.

Ceb

Dante said:
Metalmurphy posted this in the IGN thread, It's so amazing it should be seen here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41871.html

It's their video review, Game looks jaw dropping.

I don't get how they can say it looks "predominantly the same" as MS1.

Even going by GT's faux-HD video, it looks completely superior to the first game. Just way more trackside detail and bigger draw distance.

EktorPR

Kweh said:
What is the UK release date?

EU 7 November 2008

MotorStorm_Pacific_Rift.jpg

Firewire

Banned
DrPirate said:
I'm there day 2 (Canada gets games a day later often).

Game looks and plays exactly like I wanted it to be.

Try TRU, they have been getting in some games day & date with the U.S.

Omeyocan

I'm getting this one in exchange with my Metal Gear Solid 4 and Motorstorm. Probably will have it by next wednesday.

GodofWine

Proof that Sony does love us:

They bought the commercial time immediately following the singing of the national anthem for game one of the World Series and ran the Motor Storm 60 second Lunatics Unite commercial.

My jaw dropped...I was SHOCKED (since I haven't seen an add in like 4 months)

EktorPR

GodofWine said:
Proof that Sony does love our money:

The bought the commercial time immediately following the singing of the national anthem for game one of the World Series and ran the Motor Storm 60 second Lunatics Unite commercial.

My jaw dropped...I was SHOCKED (since I haven't seen an add in like 4 months)

Fixed.

The commercial rocks, though. :D

GodofWine

EktorPR said:
Fixed.

The commercial rocks, though. :D

Fine by me..that might have been the most expensive 60 seconds in the Series...I was getting a little tired of every commercial for games for PS360 end with "Jump In" :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
jett said:
Motorstorm PR looked FUCKING AWESOME in that GT review. Watch it, biznitches.
*faps more furious than Zeus could ever imagine*

EktorPR

GodofWine said:
Fine by me..that might have been the most expensive 60 seconds in the Series...I was getting a little tired of every commercial for games for PS360 end with "Jump In" :lol

LOL.

"Fallout 3 for Xbox 360, Now starting at $199 *uuuuoooooonnn* (sound of 360 logo) "Jump In".

I downloaded the demo today from the Aussie store and I think it looks and plays great. Is the demo I have still from an old build?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Bearillusion said:
I downloaded the demo today from the Aussie store and I think it looks and plays great. Is the demo I have still from an old build?
Akk demos are E3 build, from July. The retail game is far better.

Ploid 3.0

Dante said:
Metalmurphy posted this in the IGN thread, It's so amazing it should be seen here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41871.html

It's their video review, Game looks jaw dropping.

Gametrailers MS2 review said:
There's certainly more options than the first game, but Pacific Rift still falls a little short. Race, speed, and elimination are a lot of fun, but they're still about driving as fast as you can within the confines of the track. With physics this great, some kind of crash mode would have been a great addition.

Really? I thought motorstorm was trying to be a racing game on purpose.

AndyD

aka andydumi
jakeellis01 said:
Press Kit is awesome... contains goodies and the full game including real SAND!!

This is the kind of stuff that would make a good CE. Not adding a DVD with stupid behind the scenes videos.

Those gifs are amazing.

One thing that struck me in M1 is that the game doesn't really reward you for making other cars crash, so strategy-wise there is no sense in playing offensively except for the pure sadistic spectical of crashing cars. Seems to be the case in M2 aswell, though I've heard there's less rubberbanding AI so maybe it makes it more worthwhile to take your opponents out.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
TheRagnCajun said:
Those gifs are amazing.

One thing that struck me in M1 is that the game doesn't really reward you for making other cars crash, so strategy-wise there is no sense in playing offensively except for the pure sadistic spectical of crashing cars. Seems to be the case in M2 aswell, though I've heard there's less rubberbanding AI so maybe it makes it more worthwhile to take your opponents out.

Compared to Burnout, I'm more worried about keeping my wheels intact than crashing others in MotorStorm.

No45

Ploid 3.0 said:
Really? I thought motorstorm was trying to be a racing game on purpose.
I chuckled when I heard that quote. A racing game about going as fast as you can around a track? WHATEVER WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT? :lol

Press kit is fantastic.

EDIT: I've just noticed that the rally car in the OP is based on a 2CV. Awesome.

crispyben

So I didn't see any release date in the OP, but I thought I'd let you know that I've seen this in stores in France today (FNAC)... Well, I saw a PS3+DS3+MS:pR pack at 399€ anyway.

Raist

Banned
crispyben said:
So I didn't see any release date in the OP, but I thought I'd let you know that I've seen this in stores in France today (FNAC)... Well, I saw a PS3+DS3+MS:pR pack at 399€ anyway.

Yeah, saw the bundle as well in a micromania. But the game itself is nowhere to be seen. That's weird

Elios83

Raist said:
Yeah, saw the bundle as well in a micromania. But the game itself is nowhere to be seen. That's weird

The same thing happened with Singstar, you could have the game only through the bundle for a few weeks.

EktorPR

Ploid 3.0 said:
New video. Environments.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42014.html

I ordered this game today with that $10 off PSN email deal. They didn't send me KZ2 but I might as well take advantage of that thing. I also did the super saver shipping. I'll have LBP so I won't mind how long it take to get here.

Can't. Fucking. Wait.

Next week will be awesome. :D

I'm thinking I'm going to like the Water and Air tracks the most, since those are the two elements I enjoy the most on racing game environments: water features and huge, HUGE jumps.

Oneself

I can't believe how much this game will be mine on day one.

They should release an updated demo, it's sad to see how much better it looks now. The demo was a turn-off for a lot of people. :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My God can't wait to put my hands on this one! :D

jett

D-Member
Lately I've been playing MS1 and the MS2 demo back and forth, I've noticed some things:

-Sense of speed is INSANE in MS2 compared to MS1
-There's a much more aggressive tone to the game, thanks to the new right/left push attack, which is awesome
-New close-up cam with the bike is FUCKING THRILLING
-Motion blur is orders of magnitude better than the cheap-o-filter of MS1. It's totally film-like now.
-Crashes are much improved, gone is most of the shitty slowmotion that actually took away all of the impact. Vehicles deform in a Burnout Paradise fashion(although still a far cry from the damage complexity of that game), and ragdolls are just crazy awesome.
-Explosions/fire effects MUCHO BETTER than again the cheapo effect from MS1.

Yeah some textures look meh and borderline unfinished, last-gen almost, hopefully due to the nature of the demo, but in motion you don't notice anyway. Other than that everything's more awesome than the first game. Almost regrest my recent purchase of MS1. :p

Top Bottom