• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

GameSpot review

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/motorstorm2/review.html

With such games as DiRT and Pure competing for your attention, Pacific Rift has much larger shoes to fill than before. It's good, then, that the core Motorstorm racing model is so much fun and there are more ways to experience it now. However, the track design is its greatest success; the intricacy and variety of the courses will keep you coming back to explore the possibilities and test your mettle. Aside from a few remaining quibbles, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is a notable improvement over the original and a blast to play.

:D :D :D

BeeDog

Ploid 3.0 said:
New video. Environments.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42014.html

I ordered this game today with that $10 off PSN email deal. They didn't send me KZ2 but I might as well take advantage of that thing. I also did the super saver shipping. I'll have LBP so I won't mind how long it take to get here.

What's with the low FPS video? Other than that, looks fucking awesome. Especially that part around ~1:03, omg.

jett

D-Member
BeeDog said:
What's with the low FPS video? Other than that, looks fucking awesome. Especially that part around ~1:03, omg.

All of their recent MS2 vids suffer from this...I dunno WTF is going on over there.

jett

D-Member
Some new pictures I found on gamespot:

943354_20081006_screen012.jpg

943354_20081006_screen020.jpg

943354_20081006_screen022.jpg

943354_20081006_screen023.jpg

943354_20081006_screen029.jpg

943354_20081006_screen030.jpg

943354_20081006_screen045.jpg

943354_20081006_screen051.jpg

943354_20081006_screen054.jpg

943354_20081006_screen059.jpg

943354_20081006_screen072.jpg

943354_20081006_screen070.jpg

It's too bad there's not more interest on this game in this place because it looks totally awesome.

KZObsessed

Wow those screens are amazing. This is actually one of my most anticipated games of the holiday. Had it pre-ordered for the free t-shirt :p

JB1981

The demo was a blast to play and very very challenging. I kind of wish the game was $40 tho. I have this weird mental block with paying full price for racers - I never get as much out of them as I would a story-driven/mp experience.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Only 2 more days?> Isn't this one street dated? Midnight launch tomorrow possibly.

JB1981 said:
The demo was a blast to play and very very challenging. I kind of wish the game was $40 tho. I have this weird mental block with paying full price for racers - I never get as much out of them as I would a story-driven/mp experience.
Naturally, this is a "visceral" action racer. At least the put more content in there. And I'm sure they'll support it like the first game.

RyuHayate

Played the demo last night and I'm now a fan.

Between this and Pure, it's clear to me that racing games sport the most beautiful visuals this year.

NameIess

Anyone who purchased this title please answer the questions below:

How is the online with this title?
Has the lobby system been improved?
Can you spectate races when you arrive late to a lobby or do you have to sit in the lobby screen until the race completes?
Does the voice chat option function properly now?
Have the vehicle select load screens been improved?
Has the leader board been updated with more race variables instead of just wins & losses?

The issues above were my major complaints about the original title; the online component was very lacking IMO. If the issues above have been addressed I may consider a purchase.

Update: Whoops I thought the game had been released I guess someone can answer my questions next week...

Goldrusher

vercity82 said:
When did the date change to 31st Oct thought it was originally 14th now i see 7th on GAME and Amazon?
It's definitely the 31st in Belgium, The Netherlands and France.

news by Sony: http://www.gamer.nl/doc/48389/MotorStorm-Pacific-Rift-komt-al-op-31-oktober
Belgium's biggest game store chain: http://www.gamemania.be/Default.aspx?tabid=87&gmgame=000000000000020900&gmmrid=36_444
France's biggest entertainment store chain: http://jeux-video.fnac.com/a2484737...ayStation-3?Mn=-1&Mu=-13&Ra=-4&To=0&Nu=1&Fr=0

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
jett said:
Some new pictures I found on gamespot:

It's too bad there's not more interest on this game in this place because it looks totally awesome.

I don't blame some of guys who hated the demo , good graphics was one of first Motorstom selling points , it's just pure stupid to release rushed old and ugly demo for a beautiful game like this , just to just to satisfied their 's best thing Evah Qore sama , Who ever decided to put that old demo on Qore that I hope you are fucking happy now .

Sin

I spent around 5 hours playing yesterday and let me tell you, I had to force myself to put the controller down.

The variety in environments is amazing, the different routes make every race a fresh experience, the graphics have left me impressed many, many times.

Best thing about the game is the pure adrenaline rush you get racing to the finish line, trying to take the best route for your vehicle while avoiding Big Rigs intent on squishing you like a bug. Boosting through the narrowest jungle path covered with vegetation not knowing if there be a rock or branch behind every corner and then coming out and seeing the finish line, merely a few hundred meters away, look back and see all other competitors boosting to hell and back, ramming into each other fighting for 2nd and 3rd place while you cross the line.

Can't wait to play it online! :D

Concept17

Sin said:
I spent around 5 hours playing yesterday and let me tell you, I had to force myself to put the controller down.

The variety in environments is amazing, the different routes make every race a fresh experience, the graphics have left me impressed many, many times.

Best thing about the game is the pure adrenaline rush you get racing to the finish line, trying to take the best route for your vehicle while avoiding Big Rigs intent on squishing you like a bug. Boosting through the narrowest jungle path covered with vegetation not knowing if there be a rock or branch behind every corner and then coming out and seeing the finish line, merely a few hundred meters away, look back and see all other competitors boosting to hell and back, ramming into each other fighting for 2nd and 3rd place while you cross the line.

saaawweeeeettt

BeeDog

Sin said:

May I ask how you got hold of a copy?

Ceb

jett said:

Maybe if people - like yourself for example - hadn't been so quick to jump on the gun because of a few early disappointing screens. :p

jett

D-Member
Ceb said:
Maybe if people - like yourself for example - hadn't been so quick to jump on the gun because of a few early disappointing screens. :p

True, it took me a while to warm up to the demo. :p

btkadams

i cant wait for this game! motorstorm 1 was such wasted potential (no splitscreen). all ive ever wanted from it was for the ability to play with my friends on my couch. plus with 16 tracks? YES.

it comes out this week right?

Dante

Damn, I wish I coulda got that press kit they should have released that as a LE, same with that kick ass Uncharted press kit.

calder

This and Fallout 3 for me this week (maybe Fable 2 instead of Fallout, not sure). Now that I've convinced my wife that I won't be picking up LBP for a while due to other games to play, she's going to buy that tomorrow which frees up some guilt-free game purchasing for me. :lol

I'll play SP a bit first, but I'll be online with MS2 a lot a few days after I get it I'm sure.

GodofWine

I think Im pushing LBP to december to get this...Im so hyped about a good dirt racer on speed, sackboy will have to wait...

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
I'm definitely picking this up. I've been playing the demo and can't wait for the full game. The release doesn't seem to have been put forward in the UK though :(

GodofWine

Dante said:
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

Just get both!

:lol I'm not yet looking to get divorced....but when I am...I'm opening up the vault and buying ALOT of games.

Resistance 2 is my "november". Motor Storm is my 'October'...and there will be so much content available fro user levels by december that it'll be that much more awesome.

DAY BEFORE MS:pR LAUNCH WOO HOO...gonna try to find someone selling it today

deepbrown

I have it. Variety is amazing. Some of it does indeed look "ugly." But the draw distance is wowsome. Love the lighting...can't wait for it to improve. Hate the wobblin of the screen when you boost though.

GodofWine

deepbrown said:
I have it. Variety is amazing. Some of it does indeed look "ugly." But the draw distance is wowsome. Love the lighting...can't wait for it to improve. Hate the wobblin of the screen when you boost though.

huh? have it, like the final game? improve? how? like a patch?
<-- confused

herod

I loved the original, but it seems like they've focused on the complaints of the haters rather than bringing too much new to the table for the fans. Besides new tracks the only real change seems to be the addition of the Monster Truck, am I right here? Any other significant gameplay changes?

deepbrown

GodofWine said:
huh? have it, like the final game? improve? how? like a patch?
<-- confused
Yes i have retail. But the lighting in the original game improved as you progressed...with sunsets and different times of day etc.

deepbrown

herod said:
I loved the original, but it seems like they've focused on the complaints of the haters rather than bringing too much new to the table for the fans. Besides new tracks the only real change seems to be the addition of the Monster Truck, am I right here? Any other significant gameplay changes?
Lava heating up your boost, water cooling down yor boost. Water to get stuck in, vegetation to either run over or get stuck in. Shunting other vehicles with a jab to the side. Ducking and bunny hopping on bikes.

herod

deepbrown said:
Lava heating up your boost, water cooling down yor boost. Water to get stuck in, vegetation to either run over or get stuck in. Shunting other vehicles with a jab to the side. Ducking and bunny hopping on bikes.

I'm sure there's a lot of refinement, but none of this is really going to make me come back I'm afraid, but then I did totally saturate myself in the original, and all the BC.

Loudninja

herod said:

2 and 4 player split-Screen custom soundtrack,and photo mode.

jett

D-Member
Sin said:

I reaaaaaaaaaaally want to know if you can create racing tournaments in the multiplayer modes, it was seriously retarded that you could only do single races in MS1.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Only three races in, and I'm already addicted. This game is basically MotorStorm... and then some. It really expands on the original in all fashions. It tackles what was bad in the original and improved on that, while still keeping that chaotic, each-for-themselves-and-screw-the-rest, out-of-control racing experience. This is what Baja should've been, this is what Pure could've been. They could've upped the ante, but didn't. MotorStorm remains king in dirtracingcountry.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
jett said:
I reaaaaaaaaaaally want to know if you can create racing tournaments in the multiplayer modes, it was seriously retarded that you could only do single races in MS1.

One of the things I'm hoping for as well in this game. As a matter of fact, I'll try it out tonight. Lunatics Unite, A Storm Is Coming!

OK that sounded cheesy.

Top Bottom