• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Bearillusion said:
Are the graphics in the demo track improved at all? I don't really have a problem with how it is in the demo but I'm curious to know.

Personally, if there are any differences, they are not substantial.

You can adjust the lighting of the tracks, and that may make it a whole lot better looking.

Really, the lighting in MS2 is fantastic and really can have a dramatic impact on how a particular level looks.

GodofWine

Private Hoffman said:
Personally, if there are any differences, they are not substantial.

You can adjust the lighting of the tracks, and that may make it a whole lot better looking.

Really, the lighting in MS2 is fantastic and really can have a dramatic impact on how a particular level looks.

I thought the differences from the demo to the game were noticeable..but I agree with all your other compliments towards this game...its more fun than (insert something you think it really fun).

GodofWine said:
I thought the differences from the demo to the game were noticeable..but I agree with all your other compliments towards this game...its more fun than (insert something you think it really fun).

In what way? Please only comment on the same track used in the demo. Thanks.

btkadams

my biggest complaints:

-some levels look way too similar
-CONTROLS: the cars/bikes/etc are way more floaty than the last game i dont think i ever had to use the ebrake this much in the last game. the turning is atrocious in ALL THE VEHICLES.

but other than those points im really enjoying it so far. online was fun and its great to be able to play splitscreen/trophies/cust soundtracks. i like the trophies part best because if you go in the games menu to look at them it will tell you how close you are to getting each one. for example: one might be drive 500 miles, it will tell me when i go see that trophie that i have driven 40 of the 500 miles needed. very cool

Flunkie

Banned
btkadams said:
-CONTROLS: the cars/bikes/etc are way more floaty than the last game i dont think i ever had to use the ebrake this much in the last game. the turning is atrocious in ALL THE VEHICLES
WHAT?! That's the greatest part about Pacific Rift.. the vehicles and the handling feel great!

Flunkie said:
WHAT?! That's the greatest part about Pacific Rift.. the vehicles and the handling feel great!

Yeah I thought the first game's handling was too floaty at times but in PR I think they've added just the right amount of weight and realism. Buggies and Trophy Trucks in particular feel really balanced now. Agreed on the ATVs though, they're pretty rigid on quick corners and not very fun to drive.

EktorPR

This game is incredible. Aside from Burnout, there is no other arcade racer in the industry right now that comes close to this. :D

McLovin

I noticed allot of differences from the demo. For one the lighting is improved and the dirt effect off the tires(which looked like ms1's effect in the demo) now look way nicer. Crashes also look nicer then I remember in the demo. Cars have this crumpling effect kinda like the crash effect in burnout.

Omeyocan

The game is really more fun to play than the original. I really enjoying it. For some unknown reason, I was not able to found any game online. Where are you all ?

Trevelyan

Banned
Holy shit, played some 4-player split screen for about 4 hours with some friends. OMG this game is a fucking blast. We were yelling and laughing nonstop. God I love this game.

Trevelyan said:
Holy shit, played some 4-player split screen for about 4 hours with some friends. OMG this game is a fucking blast. We were yelling and laughing nonstop. God I love this game.

Yeah, I didn't think I'd be loving the game as much as I am.

I was a fan of MotorStorm, but the flaws kept me from really playing it. The core gameplay was really good, and that's why I gave MotorStorm 2 a shot.

Glad I did. Didn't have many expectations coming in, but they blew me away.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Man, everyone seems to enjoy it. Come on, mail!

ayrkain

Love the game so far. I've only played a couple of times, and have unlocked all the vehicle classes. Not sure what they did to the buggy, but I love it now, whereas I hated that thing in M1 (especially on the Fourth Rank tickets, ugh). Only thing that makes me a sad panda is the save game locking (can't copy saves between PS3's).

Ploid 3.0

I'm never ordering a game from Amazon ever again. I'm tempted to just cancel it and pick up the 3 games on the 4th.

EktorPR

Felt like sharing, guys:

MSPR_EktorOni_1.jpg

This one I took right after firing it up.

MSPR_EktorOni_4.jpg

I love Wildfire and its amazing juxtaposition of fire and water.

MSPR_EktorOni_6.jpg

Kanaloa Bay's starting line.

MSPR_EktorOni_3.jpg

Loving the new vehicle destruction. :D

MSPR_EktorOni_7.jpg

Into the sunset...

Acid08

Banned
Probably gonna pick this up. Demo was so good. Also does anyone know that the song in the commercial is? I know it's Gogol Bordello but I don't know the song title. Thanks :).

Is it just me or does MotorStorm 2 really 'grind' your Blu-Ray drive when you first put it in?

Listen to your PS3 without the music on or whatever..just listen to the noises your PS3 makes.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Dante said:
Unless they somehow got Bowie on the soundtrack...Yeah :D

Queen Bitch is on the disc. Sorry to dissapoint you.

edit:

for those interested: the entire tracklist.
Alex Metric – In Your Machine
Amon Tobin – Trickstep (Pacific Rift Remix) Exclusive!
Animal Alpha – Fire Fire Fire
Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy (Pappy Mix)
Black Daniel – Gimme What You Got (Alex Metric Remix)
Black Sun Empire & State Of Mind – Red Velvet VIP
Black Tide – Show Me The Way
Bodysnatchers – Twist Up
Boys Noize – Lava Lava
Queens Of The Stone Age - Sick Sick Sick
Bullets and Octane – I Ain’t Your Savior
Cut In The Hill Gang – Soul To Waste (MotorStorm Edit) Exclusive!
Hervé – Zombie Dance (MotorStorm Edit) Exclusive!
The Exploders - Wolf Cub (Pacific Rift Edit) Exclusive!
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Nirvana – Swap Meet (Diplo MotorStorm remix) Exclusive!
Pendulum - Tarantula (ft Fresh, $pyda & Tenor Fly)
The Qemists – Stompbox
The Qemists - Speed Freak (MotorStorm Remix) Exclusive!
Saving Abel – New Tattoo
Slipknot – Sulfur
Simian Mobile Disco – Parachute
Supa Bajo - Lalula (instrumental)
Ulterior - Weapons
Noisia - Groundhog (MotorStorm re-edit) Exclusive!
Clutch – Pure Rock Fury
David Bowie – Queen Bitch
Death From Above 1979 – Blood On Our Hands (Justice Remix)
Death From Above 1979 – Romantic Rights (Erol Alkins Re-Edit)
DJ Fresh – Chainsaw
Fatboy Slim - Everybody Needs A 303 (Plump DJs remix)
Goose – Black Glove (Bloody Beetroots Remix)
Hadouken! - Liquid Lives (Noisa instrumental mix)
The Hives - No Pun Intended
In Flames - Move Through Me
Leftfield - Phat Planet
Machine Head – Davidian
March – Influence Exclusive!
Megadeth - Sleepwalker
Nick Thayer - Mind Control
Parker - Western Soul featuring Rasco (Aphrodite Remix – MotorStorm Dub)
The Planets – Slasher Exclusive!
Primal Scream - Necro Hex Blues
Saviours – Caverns Of Mind
South Central – Golden Dawn
The Whip – Trash

Dante

Vocal chat is fine, save all the idiots with pot references in their usernames acting all googy ;)

and OMG @ the track called Scorched.....The part where you race through the trees is GODLY.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Private Hoffman said:
Is it just me or does MotorStorm 2 really 'grind' your Blu-Ray drive when you first put it in?

Listen to your PS3 without the music on or whatever..just listen to the noises your PS3 makes.

Indeed :/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm really warming up to this now. Tracks like Sugar Rush are just incredible.

I'm also finding that the visuals look SIGNFICANTLY better during the evening. The daytime lighting isn't bad but it can make certain areas look a bit ugly. The distant foliage, for instance, is very flat during the day but looks just fine while racing during the evening. The lighting has a HUGE impact on the visuals.

Absolutely loving the game now.

GodofWine

Private Hoffman said:
Okay good, I was beginning to think my PS3 was starting to get borked.

It sounds like the PS3 is scratching a record on a turntable....

Voice Chat
Very good, seemed like it wasn't picking my mic up, I wanted a sensitivity adjustment, I had to be loud to see my name pop up on the who's talking. Very little lag in voice.

Demo v Game

Lighting is like totally better in game, vehicle's look better..the bike actually rides on the ground and not slightly above it :lol , all the effects (dirt / smoke / dust etc) are added or better...I think that there is just a lot more detail in the surfaces.

Tracks
The reviews that said 'half the tracks are great, half are 'meh' " are wrong, alll the tracks are great, most of them are spectacular...I went around one 3 totally different ways in a 3 lap race...(sorry, I don't remember names yet)...

There is one track that totally screws everyone cause there is what looks to be the right way to go, but the arrows say go right..but everyone still goes straight...and its a dead end...

M3Freak

Banned
I bought the first, played it a little, but eventually sold it because I found it too damn frustrating. I didn't even see many levels because I got so bored with it.

MPR, on the other hand, is freaking awesome. I was awe struck when I played it on Wednesday - I've been playing in a state of childhood wonder and delight ever since. I love everything about it.

Man, this game is one massive surprise for me. I did not for one moment believe I would enjoy it as much as I am. I'll be playing this one for a long, long time.

GodofWine

Racing against Monster trucks online is hilarious....if you can get by them and get some space you should be safe...but trying to get pas them is quite a challenge unto its self..my mudplugger got mudplugged about 12 times in one race trying to pass this one dude.

oh, some of the courses have destructibility that opens up new paths (which I found my mistake of course)

Firewire

Banned
Got it last night, played a few races and found it to be fun. Didn't get a chance to check out the online but I'll probably give that a go tonight.

I picked this game up last night.

My main gripe in the early stages is that the tracks are too open for my liking. You don't see the 5 car pileups in M2 like M1.

Other than that this game is better in every way than the first. :D

GodofWine

TheRagnCajun said:
My main gripe in the early stages is that the tracks are too open for my liking. You don't see the 5 car pileups in M2 like M1.

Oh you will... :)

I t-boned a wall on a 90 degree corner and I think the 6 cars that were behind me all hit me and became entangled..it was epic..if we turned into voltron that would have the only way to make it more entertaining.

Pallaris

How is the framerate? anyone care to comment on this and any tearing issues please. Loved the gameplay of the first one but once the AI ramped up towards the end it didn't half chug and rip up.

From the demo it'd seemed perfectly smooth (some jitter/light tearing using the vehicles but none that I could see in bonet view)

Thanks.

Omeyocan

I need to build a soundtrack. I know that this is a mattter of tastes, but I need some suggestions regarding custom soundtrack. I feel that rock and metal( all kind ) songs are more suited for this kind of game. Can someone give me more suggestions ?

As for now I will add: Megadeth, All that remains, Metallica, Anthrax, Disturbed, Fear Factory.

Thanks.

Dante

Omeyocan said:
I need to build a soundtrack. I know that this is a mattter of tastes, but I need some suggestions regarding custom soundtrack. I feel that rock and metal( all kind ) songs are more suited for this kind of game. Can someone give me more suggestions ?

As for now I will add: Megadeth, All that remains, Metallica, Anthrax, Disturbed, Fear Factory.

Thanks.

ACDC Highway to Hell :D

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Omeyocan said:

Thanks.

Everything from Body Count

March of the Pigs by Nine Inch Nails

Somewhat Damaged by Nine Inch Nails

Stop by Jane's Addiction

Everything done by Atari Teenage Riot

Guerilla Radio by Rage against the Machine

Bombtrack by RATM

Killing in the Name by RATM

That's what's playing to my MSPR drivingtime, in addition to the Metallica albums And Justice For All and Master of Puppets, which I assume you're already using to get your PR on.

Top Bottom